stogucheme

Accessibility Option for Eggs

Which style do you like best? (1st post)  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are others - stogucheme knows some, I think. Thanks for that screenshot. I see what you mean now. It's very much like one of the ideas in this thread.

I figure, Thuban, that the reason you are the only CB person on here is because the game isn't easy for CB people to play.

Not everyone has a forum account and not everyone looks in Suggestions/Requests and not everyone may be comfortable posting, either.

What about an option given when you enable the feature?

>>>Colorblind Option:

>>>>>Enable? () Yes () No

>>>>>>>() Scrollwide () Only AP

Action pages too--the AP is not the only place where being able to tell eggs apart is very useful.

Incubate, Influence, and Teleport have the codes and the times, but if the eggs are hard to tell apart (or impossible for blind players) , having the accessible letters there makes an image into something meaningful.

Imagine accidentally trading a gold egg when you meant to click a gray one just because you couldn't see the egg well or at all!

ETA:

The trouble is that colourblind people are still at a disadvantage. They need to remember the names of the dragons, and read them, and that all takes time.

Yes. But having the letters there will give people a chance to learn them. Just like people with regular site had to and still have to carefully learn the difference between gray and stone and white and silver and nocturne eggs. Adding this will give alternate means to access which is all about eliminating the disadvantage.

Edited by Princess Artemis

Just because other sites don't cater for the colour-blind is no particular reason for this one to make things hard for them as well.

From a site dealing with internet accessibility:

Most countries even have laws requiring websites to be accessible to all. It comes under anti-discrimination. In a site where colour is a major issue, this seems to me an admirable idea, and it isn't as if you have to look at it if you don't need to. If you were colour blind you'd be glad there was a site that catered for you. And given that in other threads here, members are saying we want to attract people to the cave - this could help, too.

About the artists - the black and white option doesn't destroy their art - it simply substitutes something else that they had no part in designing. It may look ugly. So does the size of print a member of my family has to use to see anything on line. But it makes the difference between being able to use a site and not being able to. Ugly is better than nothing at all.

My point is (was) that, in my opinion, not a great of people who are color blind will become very invested in a site that is based largely on color and patterns.

The only problematic dragon is see it Frill and we can't even get that anymore.

But I guess, go for it anyway.

Also red text should be avoided, its hard on the eyes.

Edited by Kirbyburn

Well, I'm in full support of this idea! Besides, it has usefulness for not color blind people too like when you're not sure/don't remember what an egg is in the AP and you don't want to spend time finding out what it is offsite to do it.

Also, to help get the point across of why this is helpful (and primarly because I was bored and wanted to try it), I made a Color blind test Out of dragon eggs!

DC Blind Test: What do YOU see?

I dont' know about you...but all the green starts to blend after awhile...

Note: This is the first time I made anything like a blind test, so please go easy on me.

If you aren't colorblind, you should see TJ within all the green... Pi is also acceptable.

Well, I'm in full support of this idea! Besides, it has usefulness for not color blind people too like when you're not sure/don't remember what an egg is in the AP and you don't want to spend time finding out what it is offsite to do it.

Also, to help get the point across of why this is helpful (and primarly because I was bored and wanted to try it), I made a Color blind test Out of dragon eggs!

Note: This is the first time I made anything like a blind test, so please go easy on me.

If you aren't colorblind, you should see TJ within all the green... Pi is also acceptable.

lol i see a ring... but not sure if that was your goal. the combo of colors is downright evil though tongue.gif

Im not colorblind but that many greens with soem reds gives me a headache i feel sorry for any CB person who looks at that.

Took me a long time to figure out what that was supposed to be. (Originally, it looked like a ring with horns to me. xd.png) However, now I know it's two certain letters. biggrin.gif

(Concrit: I think you might have put the letters too close together. Plus, the first is a little bit too rounded. Third, most color-blind (or, in this case, red-green-blindness) tests have some kind of decoy pattern made up of exceptionally large bubbles or bubbes that are all made up of darker colors (like dark green, dark red) so people who can't discern between the colors see something else instead.)

You wouldnt need to lose the info at the top to do that exactly. Smaller font and building the letters into a small overlay (placing them above like that) would work nicely.  Give me a few minutes I'll whip up a preview.

EDIT: (note EE stands for example egg, i didnt bother making others)

user posted image

Yo dont need letters to be that huge. Its colorblindness not blindness in general. A small little overlay tossed on top the eggs would make them about 10 px wider but same hight so would not mess up alignment by much.

I support this idea and this layout!

Funny story: One of my dad's coworkers is color blind and they went to buy some black dress pants... They asked the clerk if the pants were black and the clerk said yes.. They are pink! I think that someone that is color blind could easily see a pink egg as a gray egg or even an ember egg. That is why I think this is a great idea! Just a little side note... you might eventually want to do three letters instead of two just in case we get more dragons with just about the same name. Like "Ember" and say... "Embel" or something like that...

DC color blind test... I see a circle with horns and TJ. I don't think it's a circle with horns though... Wow, I just took a CB test about a year ago and I was great, then my mom took it and she couldn't see anything for all but two... Does that mean I'll eventually go color blind?

Edited by StarSea

Took me a long time to figure out what that was supposed to be. (Originally, it looked like a ring with horns to me. xd.png) However, now I know it's two certain letters. biggrin.gif

(Concrit: I think you might have put the letters too close together. Plus, the first is a little bit too rounded. Third, most color-blind (or, in this case, red-green-blindness) tests have some kind of decoy pattern made up of exceptionally large bubbles or bubbes that are all made up of darker colors (like dark green, dark red) so people who can't discern between the colors see something else instead.)

I have no problem with colours and I still can't work out what this is supposed to be....

But this, oh god (Hope you don't mind I added a filter Shokomon):

user posted image

And yes I know that generally colorblindness is not always totally lacking in color.

Edited by Ashywolf

Takes Shokomon's example and runs...

user posted imageuser posted image

Deuteranope-(red-green) simulation from vischeck. Unfortunately they shrink the picture in the process so it's even harder to see now.

Which egg is this: user posted image (Not too hard as you can still see the marking. Not as striking as you're used to, though) I think this egg has the most noticeable difference for normal sighted when you simulate red-green blindness.

I think the best practicable solution is the overlay Thuban suggested, it doesn't change the art and layout (much).

---

Just wanted to point this out (not sure if it's actually relevant) but in some countries it's recommended to avoid certain acronyms as history gave them a certain meaning. In germany, there're even some acronyms you can't get on your car's license plate. Personally I won't care when e.g. summer seasonals keep their acronym as is, others might.

my grandma has macular degenaration (pretty sure I spelled that right?)

she used to be able to look at a piece of fabric go to the store and buy the thread to match it without the fabric! and she was dead on too! she never missed now she has a hard time with colors and I half-to tell her if things match or not sad.gif . and there are other people with it too.

so totally support this.

Takes Shokomon's example and runs...

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5926/vcmvmsmxsim.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9487/vcmvmsmxorig.jpg

Deuteranope-(red-green) simulation from vischeck. Unfortunately they shrink the picture in the process so it's even harder to see now.

Which egg is this: user posted image (Not too hard as you can still see the marking. Not as striking as you're used to, though) I think this egg has the most noticeable difference for normal sighted when you simulate red-green blindness.

I think the best practicable solution is the overlay Thuban suggested, it doesn't change the art and layout (much).

---

Just wanted to point this out (not sure if it's actually relevant) but in some countries it's recommended to avoid certain acronyms as history gave them a certain meaning. In germany, there're even some acronyms you can't get on your car's license plate. Personally I won't care when e.g. summer seasonals keep their acronym as is, others might.

Gold-Horned Tangar, right?

The problem with Thuban's design is that people with vision problems generally have problems with size of text as well. I can barely make out the text /with/ my glasses.

---

Yeah, that's true. I don't think they're too offensive, though...they're only two letters, after all. What's wrong with SS? I thought there'd be more of a problem with BS.

SS = Sturmstaffel (a nazi military group from way back when)

Guys, people get offended by everything. There is not a single thing in this world that doesn't offend someone somewhere. Ever watched that South Park episode where they banned everything Christmasy that was offensive to someone? There was nothing left.

The same applies to this. There are lots of dragon breeds and no doubt the letter combinations used are possibly going to have different meanings if you align them to something else (such as, as pointed out, SS = Sturmstaffel).

tl;dr - Everything is offensive, so just roll with it.

I'm thinking I wanna make a poll asking which option people prefer- mine, olympe's, Thuban's, or skinst's. If you have any more suggestions (or I missed yours) please post here.

@skinst: Yeah, that's true, and why I don't think the acronym needs to be changed.

I'm thinking I wanna make a poll asking which option people prefer- mine, olympe's, Thuban's, or skinst's. If you have any more suggestions (or I missed yours) please post here.

@skinst: Yeah, that's true, and why I don't think the acronym needs to be changed.

If you make such a poll, please specify somewhere what which idea is. I don't remember who had what idea, so a poll where the options are Skinsts' idea, Olympe's idea, etc. would only confuse me.

Wow, people had fun with my blind test. Sorry if it was blinding or confusing. Like I said, I had never done a blind test before. I'll keep the criticisms in mind for when I do something similar. Also, if you want an answer to the blind test, it's in the post. Highlighting is fun. Also, I say go for the poll. It will best represent the prefered idea of DCers, at least ones on the forum. Also, I agree with Nectaris. If you make a poll, list a shorthand version of the idea next to the names of whoever came up with it. Like this:

Stogucheme - Big [insert color] letters overlaying Eggs

Olympe - Big [insert color] letters Floating above Eggs

Thuban - Little letters at the corner beside Eggs sprite

Skinst - Black Letters on white egg overlay

Other Options (Post, please?)

Does this help?

Personally though, I prefer the giant letters over Thuban's design. As nointrusive as they are...I can't see them too well. It doesn't help that I'm near-sighted, meaning I have to lean toward the screen to see the letters...even with my glasses. The letters are too tiny, and easy to ignore. I'd probably end up missing the letters and concentrating on the eggs because I'd have to strain my eyes to read them.

Also, the black & white test and the Sepia test versions are just evil! I couldn't even tell the egg was a Gold-Horned Tangar at all! (Also, no, I don't mind the modifications. They help people understand the reason why the color-blind option is needed!)

If you make such a poll, please specify somewhere what which idea is.  I don't remember who had what idea, so a poll where the options are Skinsts' idea, Olympe's idea, etc. would only confuse me.

Added the names of the posters to their options in the first post. (I didn't add my name to my version, as I thought it was rather obvious. I'll add it if you disagree.)

@Shokomon: I'd rather direct people to the first post where I've linked the options.

Anyone else have an alternative before I make the poll?

Edited by stogucheme

Personally though, I prefer the giant letters over Thuban's design. As nointrusive as they are...I can't see them too well. It doesn't help that I'm near-sighted, meaning I have to lean toward the screen to see the letters...even with my glasses. The letters are too tiny, and easy to ignore. I'd probably end up missing the letters and concentrating on the eggs because I'd have to strain my eyes to read them.

Also, the black & white test and the Sepia test versions are just evil! I couldn't even tell the egg was a Gold-Horned Tangar at all! (Also, no, I don't mind the modifications. They help people understand the reason why the color-blind option is needed!)

Those letters can be bigger, the problem is the bigger the letters the more likely it is the colorblind option would end up with more clicking space...giving the option an advantage. The letters i used could be about 2-3px larger without effecting things too much. it was a quick ten minute example to show what i was trying to explain.

I feel like my earliler post was misunderstood, I was not saying to put red letters over the eggs (that seems worse, red aint fun) but offering a comment that the sprites don't have to be altered that we can put the letters there with html/css.

About the letters... all colour suggestions for overlay seem bad because we have an egg in every colour. If the letters were outlined in the opposite colour to the rest of the letter would that help or be too big? Unless there is some sort of detect function to discern whether the egg is light or dark to put black or white letters over it... still seems chunky. The most practical IMO is to put the letters beside, above, or beneath the egg/hatchy. ~ ~ Tl:dr Thuban or Olype's suggestion, though the acronyms will need a good thinky.

Besides, we could always just use S for seasonals. After all, there is no time where more than two kinds of seasonals are around, and that's only for a maximum of 8 days.

I'd find it useful, even though I'm not colourblind- my screen makes it hard to tell Whites from Silvers, Stones from Geodes, and sometimes makes me mistake Embers, Blacks and Magmas for each other... In the end, if you get used to something, your eyes just see 'shapes' and not letters whilst still recognising the meaning. On here and on GPX+, for example, I've trained my eyes to see the 'shapes' of rare eggs (most of them- Silvers and Mew still give me trouble) and rare egg descriptions, so I can usually catch them while scanning the Cave/AP/Lab/Shelter without any actual higher thought going into it. (Whilst this might seem to undermine my first point, I have to add that this addition would make it even easier for me, and people with colour-blindness and even worse screens than I have.)

You have my vote!

I really love this idea! I actually have a color blind friend who plays DC and she has to go by the egg designs, so it's really hard for her to get good eggs off of the AP.

And for any of you who have difficulty seeing, try enlarging your screen or using a magnifier for your browser. It may take awhile to get used to, but once you do it's a lot easier to get eggs off the AP. That's what I do, since I'm legally blind, and it works great. smile.gif