Verridith

NASCAR

So I searched and there were absolutely no Nascar topics; so I said what the hay. I'll make the first one!

Wondering how many here are Nascar - or auto racing in general - fans. I know I am! (: My family has been fans for years. We missed a few years of racing due to no tv, but we're back on track now.

Are any of you excited for tomorrow's race? Who's your favorite driver? What do you think of Junior's farmer-beard?

Discuss!

Edited by Verridith

Jeff Gordon.

I'm going to a NASCAR race on April 14th at TMS. Pretty psyched, it's my first one.

Onoes! A Gordon fan! Hide the rum! xDD

Mine's Dale Earnhardt Jr. :P Though dude, lose the beard.

That's awesome! I've been to a few, but not recently. The one I can remember most was when we were in the infield, a wreck happened right in front of us - me being a little kid I was practically glued to the fence, and when the clean-up crew came they kept looking over at me. Then they did a little football-huddle near their truck, signed all of them on a hat, and threw it over the fence to me. <3 Damn I wish I still had that hat.

Best. Race memory. Evar.

I live 20 minutes from Bristol (BMS). The race traffic is a censorkip.gif* like you would not believe. I have a friend who works at Taco Bell in Bristol who served Dale Jr. a taco. The sad thing was... she didn't know who he was...

RACEDAAAAY

Omg Jr srsly, lose the beard. :I

Lol! You should educate that friend of yours. :P And oh god I know. We used to have a horse show on the California Speedway weekend and it was at Pomona. We'd have to drive through all of the race traffic to get there.

I saw snippets of the nationwide race yesterday. Nascar races, for me, are pretty boring, considering the crazy numbers of laps. Up until near the end, I don't really pay much attention to them. Usually if I'm rooting for a car, it's because of its paint job more than its driver. (I like the M&M car)xd.png

The only Nascar racer I could recognize from a glace would be Jeff Gordon. And that's because I know he looks like Brad Paisley.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Living in Indiana...

We do not hear the end of racing

It's on the back of our quarter for gosh sake.

Just glad I don't live near the race track. I'm sure that would get crazy.

Of course referring to the Indianapolis 500, not Daytona.

Edited by Walker

Race postponed till tomorrow. Hmm.

My family's Carl Edwards fans. We even have a Cardboard Carl that we dress up for all seasons.

;A; Stinky rain. *kicks the clouds*

I just want to go to each of the racetracks just once. XD Once in my life, and that's it. And then go hide in my desert again LOL. Hopefully if I become a pilot, too, I'll do a couple of flyovers. YESSSS. Big dream. I'm ambitious.

Lol win for the cardboard! We never got an Earnhardt, but we had The Number 3 Shelf. Which became The Numbers 3 And 8 shelf. Now we n longer have the shelf because a lot of our memorabilia was stolen, but ): *loved that shelf*

Wheeeee

user posted image

Edited by Verridith

Everything I know about cars, I learned from being forced to watch Top Gear. Though, I did learn some interesting things about Nascar from their (I think second) American special.

I just don't understand it. Can you explain? I mean, is the point the crashes, and why so many laps, why is that important, and do they all have the same car? Are they allowed to make modifications, or does it have to be like...showroom?

^ The point is to finish first. Crashes are unintentional and avoided as much as possible. The number of laps, I don't really know, perhaps it's to test the endurance of the car or something? Having such a long race requires strategy, though - they have to decide when to make a pit stop (will they lose their position, or if they pit now will they have a full tank of gas when everyone else is running out?), whether to take two tires or all four (since tires wear out with such a long race). As far as modifications, I think they can make minor changes, but there's strict requirements as to what they can do - what size the car parts are and stuff.

Wow, what a race. Delayed due to rain (the lap-by-lap page on Nascar's site was entertaining... apparently the person was really bored this afternoon.... "It is now raining harder than it was before"), big crash on lap 2, and Montoya's very scary freak accident. It's incredible nobody was hurt. And then of course finishing at 1 am their time. First Daytona ever run on a Monday, and it ends up finishing on a Tuesday!

I was at school this evening so I had tabs open in my computer class of live standings and lap-by-lap updates. I drove home and couldn't find the radio station that had coverage, but then I got home and saw the huge fire from Montoya's crash. (

, shows it a little better than Verridith's link. The guy's car malfunctioned and he went out of control and hit a truck carrying jet fuel, creating an explosion - amazingly, nobody was hurt. It damaged the track and the cleanup took a couple hours.)

Matt Kenseth won, though! He's our second-favorite driver. Carl had to go and mess with his car when they were all stopped, making him go all the way to the back.... oh well, at least our guys got 1st, 3rd, and 8th.

Edited by Dawnwing

Dawn, you explained it much better than I could! XD Though I think that the reason most fans are into the sport is because of the wrecks, the unpredictability and the excitement of each race. I especially love to read into the drivers' histories (some of the biographies are amazing) and really connect with a few of them. Some of their stories really give us insight to where they came from, why they drive, etc and I just love it. (:

That was one hell of a Speedweeks. And LOL now I need to go read the lap by lap! XD That sounds amusing.

Rain postponed for the first time in 50 years and a jet dryer collision... wow. What a race for the history books!

Edit; LOL you were right. This is classic amusement right here. I like this guy! Go read the silly updater's antics.

Edited by Verridith

All I know about NASCAR is when it's Race Week, I'm super busy at work until the day of the 500, and I have to bring a book. Except this year, when i had to bring a book twice on account of the rain(yay!). I live about 35 minutes from Daytona Beach.

I'm constantly warning tourists on race day that want to go to Daytona Beach, "OMG! Nooooooooooo!" Since foreign tourists are the ONLY customers I'll ever see on a big race day. ._.

I worked for DEI form 96 until 07, after Jr left DEI I went too for him at JR Motorsports until I retired last year,this was the first speedWeek I wasn't down at Daytona...

Ahhh. XD I seem to remember hearing that it's hell on Raceday when you live there. Is the market really that bad when things are going on?

I worked for DEI form 96 until 07, after Jr left DEI I went too for him at JR Motorsports until I retired last year,this was the first speedWeek I wasn't down at Daytona...

Oh wow! I'm honored to meet you <3 Working for both would be wonderful. Did you get to meet Jr and Sr both? o:

That'd be like a dream come true for me, lol. Too bad that Dale Sr passed. ): When I was little, I used to draw little comic book things of him winning races rofl!

Edited by Verridith

What a race it was. Daytona race first ever delayed by rain and resceduled? A huge wreck on lap one?(My dad was angry... very. He's a Johnson fan) An explosion of jet fule on the track?(Montoya's misfortune) The drivers walk around and talk? It was quite entertaining! Probably one of the most memorable race for this year. Thank god no one got hurt! xd.png

Dale Jr got so close this year, he wanted and needed that win (especially after 128 races without one sleep.gif)... Biffle didn't help much and Kenseth wasn't going to budge. But you could tell that he wanted it badly(after coming in second in this race several times but couldn't get it), maybe this second place will make him try a little bit harder for the next race. And i'm finally glad all of the pressure is off of him even though it's all on poor Danica, Dale has been pressurized with the media and sorts for not winning and meeting the expectations of his dad(when he should be his self and race his own way) and he seemed to have lost momentum due to the pressure. Trust me as a very big fan of Dale Jr i know that losing that last race was a big upset to him but i also know that Dale has gained some confidence and he may just win this year. I seriously hope so cool.gif. But whether he wins one or not he's always winner to me.

Go Dale Jr at Phoenix! 88

Ahhh. xd.png I seem to remember hearing that it's hell on Raceday when you live there. Is the market really that bad when things are going on?

Oh wow! I'm honored to meet you <3 Working for both would be wonderful. Did you get to meet Jr and Sr both? o:

That'd be like a dream come true for me, lol. Too bad that Dale Sr passed. ): When I was little, I used to draw little comic book things of him winning races rofl!

Yes I did get too meet them, my family and the Earnhardt family go way back too the days of Ralph Earnhardt and my grandfather, over the years I got too know alot.png of people in NASCAR...

Edited by Darien

Yes I did get too meet them, my family and the Earnhardt family go way back too the days of Ralph Earnhardt and my grandfather, over the years I got too know alot of people in NASCAR...

That is so awesome <3 Someday I want to go to a race and meet Jr. Someday. It must have been awesome to be so involved (:

What a race it was. Daytona race first ever delayed by rain and resceduled? A huge wreck on lap one?(My dad was angry... very. He's a Johnson fan) An explosion of jet fule on the track?(Montoya's misfortune) The drivers walk around and talk? It was quite entertaining! Probably one of the most memorable race for this year. Thank god no one got hurt! XD

Dale Jr got so close this year, he wanted and needed that win (especially after 128 races without one -_-)... Biffle didn't help much and Kenseth wasn't going to budge. But you could tell that he wanted it badly(after coming in second in this race several times but couldn't get it), maybe this second place will make him try a little bit harder for the next race. And i'm finally glad all of the pressure is off of him even though it's all on poor Danica, Dale has been pressurized with the media and sorts for not winning and meeting the expectations of his dad(when he should be his self and race his own way) and he seemed to have lost momentum due to the pressure. Trust me as a very big fan of Dale Jr i know that losing that last race was a big upset to him but i also know that Dale has gained some confidence and he may just win this year. I seriously hope so B). But whether he wins one or not he's always winner to me.

Go Dale Jr at Phoenix! 88

Oh my gosh, seriously! That 500 must have been one of the best races I've ever seen. One of the most exciting for sure. <3

Another Jr fan. 8D Too bad he had car trouble this weekend!

I was at a horse show, so we recorded the race - unfortunately when we got home, I was so tired I could only stay up for part of it. Then Arnie thought I had watched it all and deleted it. BOOHISS. XD But I heard it was good. Can't wait for next weekend~

That is so awesome <3 Someday I want to go to a race and meet Jr. Someday. It must have been awesome to be so involved (:

It was, it was the greats time of my life, specially when we won the 2004 Daytona 500, I hope you do get too meet him and goo too a race...

I live in Vegas, and my mom's friend offered me 3 free tickets.

I'm not into Nascar so I'm debating whether to tell her to give them to someone else, accept them and go to Nascar, or accept them and sell them.

It would be sort of rude to sell tickets someone gave to you as a present? I would say reject them if you don't want to go.

It would be sort of rude to sell tickets someone gave to you as a present? I would say reject them if you don't want to go.

Agreed

One of the things liked too do when I was still working at DEI was too give away free tickets or pit pass too people, that was lots of fun...

Edited by Darien