~!~

Lose the five-hour wait

I am in favor of keeping the five hour wait the way it is. No shortening, no lengthening, no taking it away for trading. Taking it away for trading still defeats the purpose if the people catching the desirable eggs can quickly pawn them off for fewer eggs of greater value or an IOU and come back and repeat the process.

And this isn't the only thing that would happen, either. Those without pending trades could easily multiscroll to make their own "abandoned piles". Can't drop it to the AP? Jettison the misclick to a garbage scroll to get rid of it before the limit. Doesn't even have to be abandoned off there, you can just let the unwanted eggs rot to death and "someone else" will deal with the consequences. The resulting ratio imbalance and cave clog would then spur more people into this practice to "clear the cave" and it just becomes an infinite feedback loop.

That's exactly the point of it being 5 hours, actually. It's too long for a person to reasonably ask themself to wait before dumping a misclick, so it forces us to be more careful of what we click. Not to say misclicks don't happen (oh boy do they ever happen), but they'd happen much more frequently if there was no consequence.

I mean I misclicked a sun just now. I now have to choose between dumping it and just keeping it. Dumping it in five hours means I'll have a free slot. Keeping it means my rhythm won't be thrown all out of whack. Since my rhythm lies at the core of my playstyle, I'm more inclined to just keep the misclick, especially since I know I'll have two free slots open tomorrow as a result of that rhythm.

Dropping a misclick is a simple inconvenience. A 5-hour wait is excruciating.  If you're annoyed that the 5-hour wait is 5 hours long then it's working as intended, much like when people get annoyed at dead shells or the 24-hour kill penalty. It's a necessary evil to discourage things that TJ doesn't want to become common practice.

^this^

I would support allowing teleports though - if you catch something you only caught because you knew someone else wanted it - it can go to them at once and they won't mind the 5 hour wait as they will be keeping it !

ETA multiscrolling could be an issue. But I think TJ catches quite a few of those and then - burning.... Not worth the risk for most people, I'd have thought ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

^this^

I would support allowing teleports though - if you catch something you only caught because you knew someone else wanted it - it can go to them at once and they won't mind the 5 hour wait as they will be keeping it !

ETA multiscrolling could be an issue. But I think TJ catches quite a few of those and then - burning.... Not worth the risk for most people, I'd have thought ?

The problem that I have with the teleport change would be that I could grab a bunch of good stuff from a drop, come and trade it within an hour, and then be back out there in time for the next drop.

If I'm willing to accept IOUs then I have no egg coming to me in exchange right then, so that won't be a hold up. Also, I've seen a lot of people who trade their eggs for hatchlings. So I could grab uncommons/rares, trade them for things like Tinsel IOUs, hatchlings, or even (and I'm seeing this more and more) people's agreement to raise dragons to almost adults and then transfer them over.

With the 5 hour wait, not only does that keep me out of a certain number of drops (or lessens my egg space for them), but it's also a long enough period of time that I'll probably find some other things to do and so I won't be right back on the minute that I can be, which I might very well be if there is no wait for transferring and I can just hang out and catch the upcoming drop.

He does catch quite a few, but if it spreads fast enough, I fear it may be difficult to keep up. After all, multiple account abuse is a tricky issue that normally can't just be automated and left to run. The risk of false positives is really high, especially since there are families that use the same computer for multiple people (eg. how do you tell that this scroll is being used as a garbage disposal and not someone sending lots of eggs to a sibling who doesn't know what they're doing?), and public libraries and many, many free wifi hubs.

Edited by Lythiaren

There is a way to get rid of the 5 hour wait, of course, by chance.

It's called vampire biting. If you're lucky your dragons will toss the vamp egg into the AP. wink.gif And IIRC vampires never clogged the AP since they're sought after.

There's also a chance the egg will die. xd.png

But, it pretty much had been taken care of already. I know, the wait is annoying, but it's there for a reason.

He does catch quite a few, but if it spreads fast enough, I fear it may be difficult to keep up. After all, multiple account abuse is a tricky issue that normally can't just be automated and left to run. The risk of false positives is really high, especially since there are families that use the same computer for multiple people, and public libraries and many, many free wifi hubs.

I seem to recall a worried brother of another user being told by Socky that TJ uses a LOT more ways to catch people than IP addresses smile.gif

Naturally she didn't say what ninja.gif But given a few furious and righteously or not indignant threads full of protestations of virtue and "I only went to the library" and stuff lately, he does seem to catch people quite often...

Well yeah, of course. The site tracks most everything we do with our accounts, as implied whenever TJ shows up in a thread about "My egg mysteriously died!!" and tells the person that the record shows a manual kill. If an account only logs on to accept one-way teleports from the same account (or small group of accounts) and gets very very low views from the same few IPs, then it's probably a multi. But it's not terribly difficult to play a mule account like a sock puppet and dress it up as a real person. Multiscrolling can be hard to detect if the abuser pulls out a few simple tricks.

Edited by Lythiaren

I seem to recall a worried brother of another user being told by Socky that TJ uses a LOT more ways to catch people than IP addresses

Socky did say some of the things in Tiny little questions, but thread has been cleaned since then. The only thing she said that I can remember, was that TJ also looks at times of loging to search for multis.

I remember seeing a topic awhile back about making CB eggs under cooldown teleportable, but not abandonable.

I would support that, but I agree that, while the wait might be a bit irritating at times, it is there for a reason.

I remember seeing a topic awhile back about making CB eggs under cooldown teleportable, but not abandonable.

I would support that, but I agree that, while the wait might be a bit irritating at times, it is there for a reason.

This.

I don't see a point in someone who clicked an egg from the cave and already has a home waiting for it needing to wait the five to teleport it there if the person is already going to keep it. Teleporting the egg AND the five wait would be much better in my opinion.

But as for losing the five hour wait entirely, no. It's there for all of the reasons above (I don't see a point in repeating what was already said) and should stay.

Losing would clog the AP, and then no one, not even the fast catchers, would get a chance at grabbing from the cave because it would be constantly blocked anyway.

I would only support removing the 5 hour wait from eggs that are going to be teleported. I often pick up things in the cave that I'd like to trade, but I have to wait the 5 hours before putting up a teleport link. I'm sure there's already a thread about that somewhere already though...

But as for removing the 5 hour wait from abandoning eggs, I don't support it, sorry. I think it would just encourage people to grab more blockers to see if rares are behind, then dump them within a few minutes and start over again. I don't think it'd be doing us any favours.a good idea.

Couldn't have stated it any better, with one exception: Teleported eggs should still have to keep the five hour wait (or the rest of it) on the new scroll. Otherwise, people could cooperate by exchanging misclicks via teleport and directly abandoning the misclicks of their partner.

Actually that wait is there to make it fair to those who are a bit slower in grabbing.

I agree with your comment. I don't think I'd be able to catch anything in the Caves if the speed demons could just drop the blockers straight back into the AP. The AP would be clogged most of the time, and, no. Please leave the five hour wait in place!

edited for caps.

Edited by dragongrrl

I'd like to completely get rid of the 5 hour wait for teleporting, but would prefer to keep it for those who'd like to abandon. Though, I wouldn't mind shortening the time on it, either. biggrin.gif

I would only support removing the 5 hour wait from eggs that are going to be teleported. I often pick up things in the cave that I'd like to trade, but I have to wait the 5 hours before putting up a teleport link. I'm sure there's already a thread about that somewhere already though...

But as for removing the 5 hour wait from abandoning eggs, I don't support it, sorry. I think it would just encourage people to grab more blockers to see if rares are behind, then dump them within a few minutes and start over again. I don't think it'd be doing us any favours.

Also, we can't have everything we want in the game, otherwise it would be boring to play. I like that you have to be careful what you catch, otherwise if you misclick and end up with a blocker, you have to wait 5 hours to get rid of it before hunting again. If it wasn't there, people would just refresh and click everything, hoping to get good eggs, then just abandon whatever they got that wasn't what they wanted, then repeat again straight away. I really don't think it'd be a good idea.

This.

Oh noes~ Then fast catchers would swarm the cave, and the AP would be blocked for miles.

The 5 hr cooldown is there for a reason, and that reason hasn't left.

This, yes, please do not change the 5-hour block. And I also think it should be kept for trading. You have to be a little more cautious if you know you have to keep the egg for awhile. The wait helps to keep balance.

While I think the AP block could be shortened (possibly) the fact is that the more dragons you have, the more eggs you can pick up anyway.

Fast clickers would have even more of an advantage over slow clickers and slow connections.

We NEED the 5-hour-wait.