~!~

Lose the five-hour wait

AP-block makes the five-hour wait completely redundant. Cave-catchers need to be prevented from just cycling through all the eggs in the cave until they hit the rares, and dumping everything they find into the AP. But, since a full AP blocks the cave, they don't need the five-hour wait to prevent them from doing that. That makes the wait obsolete, so I say let's get rid of it.

Absolutely. A five hour wait is extremely obsolete. If we still have to have a wait, shorten it? To at least two hours, if not more.

I disagree. The top of the hour drop is not affected by the AP block system if I remember correctly. What's to stop me from picking up seven eggs in alpine and quickly reabandoning them so that I can get a Gold Wyvern? I'd be removing the blocker eggs and tossing them immediately into the AP and being able to then have a chance at getting the rare egg that I want.

The wait prevents that. Otherwise, the AP block would have to last longer, be affected by fewer eggs triggering it, and the top of the hour block would have to be reinstated.

EDIT: Shortening may work, though.

Edited by qkurai

Actually that wait is there to make it fair to those who are a bit slower in grabbing.

Oh noes~ Then fast catchers would swarm the cave, and the AP would be blocked for miles.

The 5 hr cooldown is there for a reason, and that reason hasn't left.

I would only support removing the 5 hour wait from eggs that are going to be teleported. I often pick up things in the cave that I'd like to trade, but I have to wait the 5 hours before putting up a teleport link. I'm sure there's already a thread about that somewhere already though...

But as for removing the 5 hour wait from abandoning eggs, I don't support it, sorry. I think it would just encourage people to grab more blockers to see if rares are behind, then dump them within a few minutes and start over again. I don't think it'd be doing us any favours.

Also, we can't have everything we want in the game, otherwise it would be boring to play. I like that you have to be careful what you catch, otherwise if you misclick and end up with a blocker, you have to wait 5 hours to get rid of it before hunting again. If it wasn't there, people would just refresh and click everything, hoping to get good eggs, then just abandon whatever they got that wasn't what they wanted, then repeat again straight away. I really don't think it'd be a good idea.

I rather enjoy the 5 hour wait. Sure its annoying sometimes, but i see it as a way to prevent the awesome hunters from cycling the caves themselves and giving the slower connections a better chance. I like locking up on cave blockers waiting half a day and kicking them to the ap (or hatching them, biting them or fail forcing them). I like knowing that if i misclick, no biggies in 5 hours other people who got what they wanted will be locked leaving room for me to hunt.

I'm gonna vote no. There is no real reason to drop the 5 hour wait. Even if the reasoning behind it is outdated.

No the five hour wait is there for a reason. I only support ridding of it in case of teleports.

I do not support this. As much as the five hour wait is super annoying, it is one of the many challenges of the game. What's a game without a challenge? happy.gif and besides, the AP would be as clogged up as ever, because people would just grab and abandon. grab and abandon.

I never understood why it was 5 hours, specifically. It's long enough that it could actually discourage people from staying on DC and instead go do something else more fun for the time being. 1 hour sounds like a more adequate amount of time to wait and would be easier for trading.

I never understood why it was 5 hours, specifically. It's long enough that it could actually discourage people from staying on DC and instead go do something else more fun for the time being. 1 hour sounds like a more adequate amount of time to wait and would be easier for trading.

That's exactly the point of it being 5 hours, actually. It's too long for a person to reasonably ask themself to wait before dumping a misclick, so it forces us to be more careful of what we click. Not to say misclicks don't happen (oh boy do they ever happen), but they'd happen much more frequently if there was no consequence.

I mean I misclicked a sun just now. I now have to choose between dumping it and just keeping it. Dumping it in five hours means I'll have a free slot. Keeping it means my rhythm won't be thrown all out of whack. Since my rhythm lies at the core of my playstyle, I'm more inclined to just keep the misclick, especially since I know I'll have two free slots open tomorrow as a result of that rhythm.

Dropping a misclick is a simple inconvenience. A 5-hour wait is excruciating. If you're annoyed that the 5-hour wait is 5 hours long then it's working as intended, much like when people get annoyed at dead shells or the 24-hour kill penalty. It's a necessary evil to discourage things that TJ doesn't want to become common practice.

Edited by Lythiaren

I support lessening the length of time, in an average day I will only be able to be on for about a span of 5 hours, so I either have to hunt as soon as I get on or stay up really late to try the cave again if I pick up eggs I mean to cycle through, or trade. Even if it was cut down to 4 hours I'd be happy, 3 would be awesome. Often I pick something up I'd like to trade but I can't trade it until late afternoon the next day because I'm not home for the majority of the day, and the CD runs off after I need to be in bed.

Lol, oh I'm not bothered by the 5 hour wait; I bite misclicks and either get my slot back or end up waiting 24 hours. I end up shooting myself in the foot more often than not, but yeah-- was just curious why '5' hours was made the limit, not 1-4 hours.

I wouldn't mind losing the 5 hour wait for Teleporting eggs, but I really don't mind it most of the time. Makes me more careful in my hunting.

I agree with those saying the five hour wait still has a point and therefore am against removing it, at least completely. :3

I definitely agree with folks that, if nothing else, it does serve the purpose of getting fast clickers out of the cave for a time. That's one of the reasons that I don't get why it would be removed for trading. I trade for IOUs a lot, so I could go to the cave, get a Gold or Silver, make a trade, and be right back in the cave to get another one with little downtime. That seems like it's kind of creating another obstacle for people with slower connections.

And, although I do get the OP's point about it being self-defeating to fill up the AP when it's just going to block the cave, a biome can actually empty in the amount of time set aside for the hourly drops. So it's very realistic to imagine a scenario where we grab the eggs to cycle through, clear out the biome within the allotted drop time, dump the eggs in the AP, and then feel no consequences at all in the main cave because the next hourly drop time will come and we'll empty that one out before the AP blocking comes back online, all over again.

leave it as it is its there and it works maybe ditch the wait for teleport but not for abandon

I agree with the trading thing but the 5 hour wait shouldn't be removed or shortened IMO.

I think the 5 hour wait is pretty effective in:

~Letting players have a chance of catching so the "faster" players don't get everything

~Making you wait for a misclick; otherwise everyone would just grab and abandon

~From the reason above, the AP would then just completely fill up!

~5 hours is much better than waiting 24 hours if you tried to repulse it by a vamp. xd.png So theres penalties + consequences.

I think all the people above me pretty much said those already, but I think a 5 hour wait isn't long at all. I mean, we wait 2-3 days for our eggs to hatch, then another 3 days for them to grow...what is 5 hours??

I think the 5 hour wait is fine as it is. I also think you should be able to teleport as soon as you get an egg, however (the wait would be transferred, so no passing and AP dumping).

I don't and won't support any reduction or extension of the five hour wait limit.

Now that cave blockage has finally been reduced, TRY to remember how annoying it was (not so long ago) constantly having to wait for the AP to clear.

Edited by DarkEternity

I wouldn't say "remove it." I totally get why it's there, and yes, it's necessary.

But I have to ask, was the 5-hour figure arrived at arbitrarily? It just sounded good when TJ started coding the site? Or is there an actual game mechanic reflected in the waiting period (like "metallic eggs drop every 5 hours" wink.gif )?

If so, then why 5 hours? Why not 2? Either figure gets the super-fast clickers out of the Cave and gives the slower players breathing space.

I am in favor of keeping the five hour wait the way it is. No shortening, no lengthening, no taking it away for trading. Taking it away for trading still defeats the purpose if the people catching the desirable eggs can quickly pawn them off for fewer eggs of greater value or an IOU and come back and repeat the process.

Edited by Daypaw

Taking it away for trading still defeats the purpose if the people catching the desirable eggs can quickly pawn them off for fewer eggs of greater value or an IOU and come back and repeat the process.

This.

People would be more prone to multi scroll, because they can grab and transfer stimultaneously.