stagazer_7

Dragon Movies and Series

Ok, I checked and couldn't find a topic where fans can discuss movies and series, animated or live-action, where dragons play an important or at least a memorable role.

I've checked out quite a few movies/series and my favorite one is 'The Flight of Dragons' - this is an old cartoon, made back in 1982, so probably not many of you have seen it, but it's a great fantasy movie that actually has dragons as main characters and takes its time to explain about dragon flight and how dragons of their world can breathe fire, something I've not seen anywhere else. I'd definitely recommend it to any dragon or fantasy fan. <3

So, have you got a favorite dragon movie/series you'd like to recommend to others? smile.gif

I've also made a list of dragon movies and series that I know of - if you see any I missed (and there are probably quite a few), please make a post here and I'll update it. ^^

Live Action Movies:

Dragonheart

Dragonheart 2: A New Beginning

Reign of Fire

The Neverending Story trilogy

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Dungeons and Dragons - The Movie

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God

Eragon

Beowulf

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Dragonworld

Dragon's World: A Fantasy Made Real (well, this is actually a documentary, but with 99 min of run time I feel it earned its place here :3 )

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Adventures of a Teenage Dragonslayer

Dragon Wars

Dragon Sword (aka George and the Dragon)

Age of the Dragons

Dragon Storm

Merlin and the War of the Dragons

Dragon Fighter

Wyvern

Dragonquest

Fire Serpent

Dragon Dynasty

Dragon Hunter

Beyond Sherwood Forest

The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon

Q The Winged Serpent

Lilly the Witch:The Dragon and the Magic Book (Hexe Lilli:Der Drache Und Das Magische Buch)

Lilly the Witch:The Journey to Mandolan (Hexe Lilli:Die Reise Nach Mandolan)

The Dragon Pearl

Jabberwock

Dragon Crusaders

Dawn of the Dragonslayer

Pathfinder

Animated Movies:

The Flight of Dragons

How To Train Your Dragon 1 & 2

Mulan

Quest for Camelot

Spirited Away

The Pagemaster

Sleeping Beauty

The Hobbit (1977)

Shrek quadrilogy

Tales from Earthsea

Na Zha Riots The Seas

Puff the Magic Dragon

Pete's Dragon

Dragon's Lair

Dragons: Fire & Ice

Dragons II: The Metal Ages

The Dragon That Wasn't (Or Was He?)

Tales of Earthsea

Live Action Series:

Merlin

Game of Thrones

Stargate SG-1 (S10E11: The Quest)

Eureka (S05E02: The Real Thing)

Once Upon A Time (S01E06: The Shepard, S01E22: A Land Without Magic)

Animated Series:

Record of Lodoss War

Dragon Ball

Slayers TRY

Xcalibur

Dragon Tales

American Dragon: Jake Long

Demon King Daimao

Vision of Escaflowne

Dreamworks Dragons: The Riders of Berk

Wakfu

Blazing Dragons

Dragon Half

Dragon's Lair

Tabaluga

Yu-Gi-Oh

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Pocket Dragon Adventures

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

American Dragon: Jake Long

Wakfu

Animated Shorts:

Ritterschlag -

Reversal of the Heart -

Crayon Dragon -

Edited by stagazer_7

My favorites are

Dragonheart

Reign of Fire

How To Train Your Dragon

Haven't seen How To Train Your Dragons [not in the movies anymore sad.gif ] but the books were good.

I really liked Eragon though x'3

Na Zha Riots The Seas was a neat movie about a boy who faces the Dragon King and his brothers. It was animated it 1979, I think.

I also like Dragonheart and Spirited Away very much (as well as quite a few others listed in the first post).

Dragonheart is definitely my favorite one. Randomly saw Dragonheart 1 & 2 bundled together in the bargain bin at Shopko, bought it on a whim. Very glad i did.

Puff the Magic Dragon is nowhere to be found on the lists. Totally remember my class watching that in prep after lunch. xP

Plus the pink dragon in Shrek has a reasonable sized role, if I recall correctly.

Added the new series and movies, thanks everyone! (the Shrek series was already on the animated movies list though ^^)

After I googled 'Na Zha Riots The Seas' I immediately remembered watching this movie - I liked it as well, a very good adventure story. ^^

How to Train Your Dragon, Mulan, and Dragonheart were all good.

Also, Pete's Dragon. ;~;

Dragon Tales!

American Dragon: Jake Long was better than I expected.

Also, Pete's Dragon. ;~;

Dragon Tales!

American Dragon: Jake Long was better than I expected.

Sweet, the list keeps growing - thank you! smile.gif

I really liked both Dragonheart movies, Merlin, Reign of Fire, How to Train Your Dragon and Spirited Away. Record of Lodoss War is so my favorite! xd.png Eragon was a terrible movie, though.

There's also a dragon in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two. I don't know if you'd count this or not, but there was a dragon in an episode of Stargate SG-1(it was memorable to me anyway). Just thought I'd mention it. xd.png

Added the new series and movies, thanks everyone! (the Shrek series was already on the animated movies list though ^^)

After I googled 'Na Zha Riots The Seas' I immediately remembered watching this movie - I liked it as well, a very good adventure story. ^^

Oh, sorry! I totally overlooked that. Or I may have been too distracted by the word 'Quadriology' to notice the Shrek that came before it. That word makes me want to giggle. :P

Oh, sorry! I totally overlooked that. Or I may have been too distracted by the word 'Quadriology' to notice the Shrek that came before it. That word makes me want to giggle. tongue.gif

Probably because I misspelled it - it's 'quadrilogy'. tongue.gif Just fixed and added the correct word. ^^

I am truly disappointed by the lack of dragons only movies (no people) but the best one I have ever seen is most definitly How to Train Your Dragon. Most others have dragons playing a secondary role or they are horrible evil monsters to be killed at all costs...

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (live action)

The Hobbit (both live action and animated)

@ rampaging wyvern

Yes, I agree, there aren't really all that many films that focus on dragons (being dragon only or just having a dragon play an important role). This is one of the reasons I've started this thread - I've run out of dragon movies/series to watch and I wanted a place where fans can discuss their favorite films and what they love about them. ^^

I've seen How Train Your Dragon and I liked it too - I'll have to rewatch it again one of these days (I've only seen it in cam version, it's time to move on to HD tongue.gif)

@ Jedi40

Thanks, added Narnia, the animated Hobbit is already on the list (unless it's a different version from the 1977 Rankin/Bass studio one - in that case I'd be happy to add it as well) and I added the Hobbit 2012 as well, because without a doubt, Smaug is going to be fantastic in the upcoming movies. :3

@ Raikielia

I've hunted down the SG episode with the dragon quest - guess what I'll be watching tonight? wink.gif I've watched the Eragon movie before reading the book and it hasn't made a particularly big impression on me. After reading the book, I saw just how much story was left out and was impressed even less. xd.png

Edited by stagazer_7

Adventures of a Teenage Dragonslayer was a pretty good movie. It's kinda old so the special effects are a little lame, but I enjoyed it. It's a live-action movie about a group of three friends who realize that their favorite trading card game is real, and that there's an evil dragon out to get them. There's also a good dragon, but he doesn't make an appearance until the end.

Sweet, I've never heard of this movie, but now I'll check it out for sure - it's been added to the list. Thanks HawktalonOfRiverClan!

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (we can't forget little Norbert)

Eureka episode 5x2 had a dragon in it

This is one I found...D-Wars. Absolute rubbish, terrible acting etc, but the Chinese dragon at the end is beautiful. Don't get the DVD, YouTube ' D-wars Final Fight' and pick the one entitled ' Dragon Wars - the fight of Imoogi and Buraki' Amazing dragon at the end, and the effects are amazing considering the budget they were on.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

@ KittyDraco

Oh yeah, I love the books and the series is fantastic. Can't wait untill monday for the next episode. <3

@ Jedi40

Of course, how could I forget Norbert! Thanks, added both new entries. smile.gif

@ rampaging wyvern

And another entry for the list - it's slowly but steadily growing. Thanks! ^^ You know, I think I actually saw this movie, but I can't remember at all what it was about. tongue.gif Love the clip however, the dragons are very well done.

I don't know if YouTube shorts apply, but search 'Ritterschlag'. Very unexpected ending xd.png It's a nice German animated short, following a dragon father trying to teach his son the trick of knocking knights off a bridge.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

Honestly, there aren't many dragon movies that protray dragon's awesomely. blink.gif I do enjoy Dragon Heart, though. Also - there was this one "realistic" documentary on dragons that I quite enjoyed!