SubtleStarlight34

Fires of War

"Nothing out of the ordinary to report..." he paused and bit his tongue before finishing off with, ".... your Highness.." Seth walked over to where he had placed his waterskin and took a gulp. "I was not aware of any shift changes assigned for this time. The commander who assigned me this mission, informed me that the only change in shift would be during nightfall. However with your arrival, I assume my shift is over". Seth held the waterskin and began to walk out the door, assuming that his shift had ended.

The wind whistled through Aieren's dark brown hair. The silver tips glinted in the sun. Denar flew with his eyes closed like Aieren. He listened to the wind to avoid hitting others. Unfortunatly he wasn't paying as much attention as he should have been. Turning slightly Denar barely opened his eyes, but he was already to close to the other Pheonix. Denar tried to stop in time but he still ran into Emory. Aieren jerked in her saddle and jumped awake. She forgot about being in the sky and stood up. A gust of wind suddenly whipped by. Aieren lost her balance and started to fall off the side. She caught herself and sat down quickly. Are you ok? Aieren asked Denar. Yes I'm fine. "I'm sorry. I wasn't watching. Are you ok?" Aieren asked Emory quickly.

Climbing back up on Maerkury's back, Emory smiled. He had finally done it. He had finally stood up on Maerkury's back and fought. He looked around and, noticing people were staring at him, he quickly hid his smile and returned to looking like he was bored.

I did it. We did it. Now we can... Suddenly Maerkury jerked underneath him. A fellow trainee and their Pheonix had bumped into them. It was Aieren and Denar. Aieren had almost fallen off of Denar. She looked at him.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't watching. Are you ok?" She asked, her silver tipped hair flashing beneath the sun.

"Yea. We're fine." Emory looked down at Maerkury, then back up at Aieren. "Just make sure you watch where you're going next time."

"Ya, I know. I kinda... fell asleep." Aieren said rubbing Denar's neck. She had never noticed Emory before. He was shy like her. Well not quite like her. Aieren would push some people away who she just met. Sometimes she could be hostile. "So, I quess were done training... I'll see you later. Aieren landed and then flew to her room to wash up.

((Sorry. Out of ideas...))

((Yeah... This worked out better in my head somehow. We need a big event of some kind to draw in all characters...))

There was the river, the border, and her hope in the distance, what looked like a mile away. Ash wasn't looking for a fight right now, not when she was without her bow and her arrows. Looking back one last time before they crossed to make sure no dragons were following, Ash turned back and said, "Ignus! You thinking what I am?" He glanced but, a spark proving he was.

She pressed herself against his back, trying to become as small as possible as he dipped downward at and angle, his wings almost closing as he gained speed. The ground and river came up at them fast and the distance was soon closed and the river was only a feet away when he leveled out. Ash was grinning wildly as they landed on the other side, adrenaline still coursing through her veins. Ignus, however, was exhausted, and layed down to rest. Sorry, Ashriani, but it will take a bit before I'm able to fly again.

"Don't worry, rest all you want. I'll keep watch for any dragons."

Edited by SubtleStarlight34

Sawyer clutched the saddle on Soreth's back. She was terrified. Her hands trembled at the reins. "Do you really know what you are doing Soreth?" she asked him. Soreth let out a snort, clearly annoyed.

"Of course I do! Dragons were born to fly!" he thought back. The instructor motioned for them to run.

"Come on Soreth! Run and beat your wings!" he yelled. Soreth ran very quickly, and beat his emerald green wings. Then, he jumped, and Sawyer closed her eyes..

Well, that was odd. Are you ok, Maerkury? Emory fiddled with his saddle.

Yea, I'm fine. Are you ok? Maerkury glanced up at him. She was flying in wide circles, looking for a place to land.

I'm alright. Emory looked up into the sky and watched as the sun began to set.

No, you're stressed. I can tell. It's about... you standing up on my back and then letting go. You're afraid you'll get in trouble and won't be able to go into battle eventually. Maerkury said knowingly.

I suppose that's it. But I don't want them to take you away from me either. I'd go crazy without you. He sighed. That was his greatest fear. Losing the only thing he had left.

You'll never lose me. They can try to take you away from me, but I'll always come back to you. She glanced up at him again and started to quietly sing her beautiful birdsong to him. Emory looked down lovingly at her, then back up at the sky. He thought about how even though the sun with all it's glory seemed to set the sky ablaze every night, it could never compare to Maerkury's glorious feathers.

As soon as they landed, Emory got off Maerkury's back and took off for his room. He didn't want the knights to bother him, and Maerkury could take care of herself. She understood. He would just go to bed and wait to worry about it till next day.

Suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was one of the knights. "I want to have a little talk with you Emory. Come with me."

Emory's heart sank. He followed the knight all over the academy grounds and somehow found himself in a huge room with a large table in the center. On the table was a map. On the map were little wooden carvings of the Pheonix People's flag and the Dragon People's flag. They were spread out all over the map.

Then it hit him.

This was a war meeting.

A very noble looking knight in a red robe started to speak, "Emory Rae, we have called you here to inform you of the importance of your participation in the war. You, along with several other trainees and their Pheonixes will be taken to the battle field soon. You will help us in winning the war."

Emory was shocked. Were they really so desperate that they had to call in trainees? "Thank you, sir. When will we be going there?"

The elderly knight stroked his chin. "You will be going there tomorrow evening. Tomorrow morning you will be taken to the Academy's armory and will be put in armor and given a shield and the weapon of your choice. Your Pheonix will also be put in armor. Be sure to be there on time. This is an honor and only a few trainees will be given this opportunity. It is best not to make a fool of yourself. Now, off to bed. You need to be well rested for tomorrow. Don't forget to pick up some food from the kitchen on your way back to your room."

Emory realized his mouth was wide open in shock, and he instantly closed it. The other knights in the room laughed. "Yes sir. Thank you sir. I'll be there sir." He quickly walked out of the room and set off for the kitchen. Maerkury?

I'm here, Emory. Good job. I guess I'll see you in the morning then, and instead of at high noon. She sounded tired, but she was still quietly singing to him.

That night, he fell asleep listening to her sing and for once, he got a good night's sleep. Not once thinking about the horrors that he was soon going to face.

Edited by Willow7242

They were falling, and fast.

"Lift your wings up! we're gonna die if you don't!" Sawyer screamed to Soreth. Soreth listened and opened his wings. An updraft kept them steady.

"We're flying!" he thought to Sawyer. Soreth beat his wings steadily to keep them airborne. They flew around mountains, but not without stumbles. Sawyer ran her fingers thought her thick hair. Then, they saw a reddish orange smudge in the air, and a small tannish smudge on top.

"what do you think that is?" Sawyer asked him. Soreth widened his lovely green eyes.

"Phoenix!" he roared. Her heart was in her throat. A phoenix and rider were in dragon territory...

Obsidian didn't know what to say. But she didn't have to wait long suddenly a trumpet could be heard. Obsidian looked up to see a dragon and its rider. The rider was blowing the trumpet that indicated those in the area needed to head somewhere to fight. The dragons would communicate to tell each other where they were going. Obsidian sprinted to where Onyx was. The attack is near the capitol. Onyx informed her.

"How did they get so close without us noticing?" Obsidian yelled both out loud and in her head. She finally reached Onyx and jumped on. She hadn't even finished strapping her legs in when and Onyx was already in the sky heading back to the capitol.

A few minutes later after they had landed, just as Ash had settled in to watch for dragons, a messenger landed nearby. "Message for all soldiers! Sneak attack on the capital failed, battle has started. All trained soldiers in the area are called to battle!" He didn't leave time for a response before flying off to deliver the message to others. Ash was left confused, and a little worried. They had no weapons, no armor! Even though her post was nearby, Ignus was exhausted and couldn't fly. But he seemed to sense what she was thinking, and got on his feet.

~We must go, hop on!~ He thought to her with determination. "But--" Ash was cut off by the flapping of his wings, and hesitantly climbed on. Though he was clearly tired, they made it back, only to find their post deserted. "At the battle, I assume," She said, grabbing her gear and suiting up both her and Ignus. Within moments, they were off once more toward the direction of the border, other phoenixes from other posts falling in battle position. Promise me, she thought, promise you'll stay on the edge of the battle. You're in no condition to fight.

~Promise.~ He thought back, his gruff voice ringing in her head as they approached the battle.

Sawyer froze. "An attack!" she thought frantically. With that, Soreth and Sawyer flew back onto the ground. Soreth paced the ground, while Sawyer ran into the training hall. Her instructor ran up to her.

"Sawyer! We are under attack! Get your dragon and go to the capitol!" he shouted. Sawyer looked at him like he was crazy.

"you do know that this was our first flying lesson, right?" she asked. He did not reply, but shooed her back onto her saddle.

The sudden sound of trumpets blowing caught Seth off guard, a scout had arrived and ordered those in the area to head for battle. Seth glanced backwards and saw Obsidian already running towards her dragon.

"Xaphan!" shouted Seth,

"I know!" replied Xaphan

Xaphan flew out of the bestiary and circled the castle several times before flying pass the tower that Seth was on. With quick movement, Seth leaped off the tower and landed on the back of Xaphan. Once Xaphan could feel Seth upon his back he took the skies towards the battle.

Emory watched as he and the other trainees chosen to go into battle were fitted for their armor. The Pheonixes were in a different part of the academy getting put into their own armor, which Maerkury had complained about being too shiny.

They'll spot us from a mile away! She cried.

You just don't want it to out shine your feathers. Emory tried to hold back his laugher. Maerkury was just playing with him, something she always did to relieve both of their stress.

As soon as he was done with his armor, which was around high noon, he went over to pick out a sword. The academy had a magnificent stock of swords, but Emory had only ever heard about them. The trainees weren't allowed to be around the real weapons, for fear that someone would get hurt. He looked carefully over the swords, trying to find one that he liked. He picked up a sword with emeralds embedded in the hilt. He liked the look of it, but not the feel. It was much too heavy, and it would only make his movements awkward and clumsy.

He put the sword back and picked up another, one with a fairly plain hilt. He unsheathed it, and making sure no one was around, swung it around a bit. It had a lovely feel to it, and was as light as one of Maerkury's feathers. He decided to take that sword. They would head out in a few hours and he needed to get back to Maerkury anyways. Sheathing his sword, he set off for the take off site, where they would have a quick meal and set off for the battle field.

Obsidian turned around and saw that Seth was following her. Normally she enjoyed racing other riders, but today she had to get back to her home.

"I'm so stupid! Thinking that no one would ever attack the capitol." Obsidian yelled through the wind. We both made a mistake. replied calmly. "But this one might cost us." Obsidian replied. In the distance Obsidian could see phoenixes and dragons fighting, she took her spear from its secure place on the saddle and prepared herself for battle.

It had happened all so fast... One moment he was sparring once more, this time with his phoenix, when his trainer had told him that he was selected to fight in the war. Now he was surrounded by an entire group of warriors. As he looked at the war plans with some of the commanders, he began to pace around. "Milord, his highness has expressed for you to stay in the back and command." Said one of the commanders, Loren's armor has a slight regal barring to it due to the thin golden trim, but it was still a quality set of steel armor. He had spent all of last night inscribing runes on his left arm, so that his spells got an extra boost. The sword he had sheathed on his right was a plain sword, nothing fancy about it. "But only because I don't have time to inscribe it" Thought Loren as he pressed his hands on the table. He took one last good look at the maps before he sighed loudly. "All of you have more experience with commanding troops, I'll leave that bit to you. I'll try to give support when I can." Said Loren as he pressed away from the table to grab his helmet.

"We understand Milord, but this is a direct order from his highness... We'll try to help you ease into the role" Spoke the same commander, speaking slowly... as if he was trying to find the right words to say. Loren, once again sighed as he placed the steel helm on. "Very well, I'm going to the take off site and I'll meet with the field commanders near the battle grounds." Said Loren as he walked out of the tent. The group of warriors nearby followed suit. As he began to walk to the take off site, he heard of the voice of Azura.

"Loren... Please understand your father's wishes." She spoke with a soft tone. Loren remained silent as he kept on walking.

Sawyer clumsily strapped herself into Soreth's saddle. They took off as soon as she was secure. They flew at a breakneck speed to the capitol. "What are we looking for? we will die if we fight agnist soldiers!" Sawyer asked him.

"Other trainees, perferrably ones that are not good at flying!" Soreth replied. Sawyer nodded, and directed him torards the clumsy fliers. She drew her swords, and braced herself. Soreth let out a might roar, which also caused him to belch smoke.

Echo glanced back at the capitol as she and Zephyr flew towards the Phoenix country. "Look, I still don't understand why we couldn't have helped, at least just a little! Those are our people down there. The mail could have waited until later, I'm sure." Zephyr responded with a snort of spark, no words. Echo sighed and shifted her bag. "I wouldn't have gotten hurt you know."

"You don't know that," Zephyr growled in her head.

"I wouldn't have let myself-" She cut herself off and bit her bottom lip. He was older and knew more about the battle field. Who knows what happens in a fight. She herself had never been in one... She turned back to the front and gazed at the countryside of the enemy.