Steamrider

egg hatch/hatchie sickness, e-mail notification

@Fiona BlueFire: i do that too

this isnt something for all of us and i know checking your scroll is faster than checking your e-mail. i'm saying this is for people with REALLY slow inernet connection and/or they dont get on the computer hardly at all. they probobly check there e-mail anyway.

take Aislein for instants. she said that she shares a computer with three siblings. so she probobly doenst get much time on the computer. so lets say she brings her scroll up (she has to login which takes a second because of that annoying security thing) and lets say there is nothing new on her scroll. she wasted time she could be doing something else! one of the first thing she probobly does is check her e-mail. so lets say nothing grew up she wont go on her scroll. if something DID grow up. than she as a reason to go to her scroll.

Let's say she gets a chance to go on line - she can JUST as quickly go to her scroll. If she gets email - then she has to go TWO places. For the scroll - just one.

Let's say she gets a chance to go on line - she can JUST as quickly go to her scroll. If she gets email - then she has to go TWO places. For the scroll - just one.

she is probobly going to check her e-mail anyway, so its the other way around

take Aislein for instants. she said that she shares a computer with three siblings. so she probobly doenst get much time on the computer. so lets say she brings her scroll up (she has to login which takes a second because of that annoying security thing) and lets say there is nothing new on her scroll. she wasted time she could be doing something else! one of the first thing she probobly does is check her e-mail. so lets say nothing grew up she wont go on her scroll. if something DID grow up. than she as a reason to go to her scroll.

When a game becomes a "waste of time" to check on, it's time to stop playing the game.

DC is a game where you are supposed to check on your dragons because you're supposed to take care of them. Not where you pop only if something needs your attention.

It's not a game if you only check in when something needs your attention--at that point it becomes a chore. If you have no reason to go to a website unless something for sure happened, then it's probably a waste of your time to bother with said website in the first place.

If you just want pretty dragon pictures without bothering with the work, just save the silly things to your computer and look at them whenever you want. :|

I seriously fail to see the point in bothering to collect them if you're not going to put in the work to raise them.

Especially if you just stick them in fansites. Right now, even if you sue fansites you keep tabs on them and make sure they're doing just fine, checking on them. If you can just slap them in a fansite and forget about them until they hatch/mature, at which point you pop back in if there's something you need to do...

At that point, you've basically taken most the core gameplay out of the game--and what the heck is the point in "playing" a game that you... Basically took most of the gameplay out of?

Edited by KageSora

*applauds KageSora*

No-one has to play this game - but if you play it - PLAY it !

ok, so i geuss NOBODY likes my idea.

how about we do what dracocharky said and its an e-mail notification for sickness? *goes to edit first post*

ok, so i geuss NOBODY likes my idea.

how about we do what dracocharky said and its an e-mail notification for sickness? *goes to edit first post*

You get a warning of that at the top of your scroll.

So - CHECK your SCROLL.... !

Sorry - do not support this either.

What's with this enthusiasm for emails about everything ? Either play or don't play ! The ONLY emails I support are the ones that say log in or lose all your names - that tends to hit people who have been away for months - not something you can do if you have eggs and hatchies ! And THERE I would also like a note at the top of the affected scroll when the names have gone saying "your names have gone because you didn't log in for 2 months" - and only that to put an end to all these threads that say "my name shave gone, what did I do wrong..."

Mobile Phones Have Email, but Not all have Internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is very useful.

So you are on your mobile phone and get the message ? What do you do then ? You still have to go to your scroll - which you should have been keeping an eye on anyway...

I go out a lot, I even TRAVEL a lot, and my mobile does not have internet OR email. I watch my scroll. I fog when I am going to be away for many hours - and so on. It is all part of taking care of your dragons.

I'd really like the sickness notification if it's something you can turn off or on when needed. As long as it's optional.

When I'm at work, I can't log in to DC and check them all the time, I'd never get anything done and I'd probably get fired. However my phone downloads my personal email constantly, which I can check at break.

While I haven't had a sick egg or hatchling in years, if one did get sick while I'm at work, I could slip on and fog it. Same goes for when I visit my mom, who has no internet. I have to go up to Denny's with my laptop to log in. I can't ever get past the captcha page when logging in from my phone... it's too small to see clearly.

When I'm home on the weekends, I'd turn it off, because I am here all day to check them.

Edited by razi

Mobile Phones Have Email, but Not all have Internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is very useful.

So, you get a mail saying your eggs/hatchlings are sick, and you see it on your phone...

...But there's nothing you can do about it but hope/pray they don't die before you get to a computer to check?

Sounds like it'd be more worry-inducing than not knowing to me. I'd rather not know than know they could die and there's nothing I could do about it.

exactly my point! in some instanses, its usefull. in others. its not.

The question is, though, would it be more useful than not? If the number of situations it would be useful in are greatly outweighed by the situations it'd be useless in, then it's not really helpful.

Now, I'm much less opposed to a sickness message. I still feel it's hand-holdy, and if you got the e-mail because you couldn't get on your scroll to check anyway then there's no real point because there's nothing you can do.

I feel like, if you can get online to check your mail then you can get online to check your scroll. If you're worried enough to feel the need to check them constantly, then fog them.

Some of us have this thing called a Life...

What it means is, we don't have time to check our scrolls every hour to see if something has too many or too few views etc...

Lately, I haven't even had time to come on ONCE A DAY. As it is, many of my eggs/hatchies are taking DAYS longer to hatch/grow than they should, because I simply can't risk any more hatcheries.

If I could have an email in the corner of the screen I was using anyway for work, I could quickly fog them.

Edited by dracocharky

If you can't watch your scroll, don't collect/breed till you can. I have a life too - sometimes I am not on for a couple of days at a time. Fogging is a wonderful thing. You don't have to check every hour. Once in 24 hours is fine unless someone is viewbombing you, and if they are - by the time you get the email it is likely too late.

If you've time to check your email - go to your scroll instead and check that. The whole POINT of this game is to take care of your dragons. Be thankful it isn't one of those adoptable sites that you have to FEED your critters even when they grow up !

If you've time to check your email - go to your scroll instead and check that.

I think the point they are trying to make is that checking your email isn't something you have to do actively or think about, in most cases. Most people have a program running in the background that checks their mail and alerts them when something is there.

Still, I agree with you that there is no need for this. If you can't check your scroll regularly, make sure that you don't use too many fansites. I only use one for the constant viewing, and then stick 'm in one more ER when they reach 4 days. I haven't had any sickness using this method except on a tinsel at the time of ER-ing, and I only do that while I can check. If you have eggs that you are really worried about, fog them while away. There's a 4 day window in which eggs can hatch, so there's bound to be a moment in those for days you can come, unfog them, and ER them to the next stage.

As far as hatching and growing up is concerned: you can easily see when the egg/hatchling is due to hatch/mature. I always know when the next time is that something is due to happen, so I just try to log in then, and ER if needed. It's not like a hatched or matured egg requires instant action.

I think the point they are trying to make is that checking your email isn't something you have to do actively or think about, in most cases. Most people have a program running in the background that checks their mail and alerts them when something is there.

Still, I agree with you that there is no need for this. If you can't check your scroll regularly, make sure that you don't use too many fansites. I only use one for the constant viewing, and then stick 'm in one more ER when they reach 4 days. I haven't had any sickness using this method except on a tinsel at the time of ER-ing, and I only do that while I can check. If you have eggs that you are really worried about, fog them while away. There's a 4 day window in which eggs can hatch, so there's bound to be a moment in those for days you can come, unfog them, and ER them to the next stage.

As far as hatching and growing up is concerned: you can easily see when the egg/hatchling is due to hatch/mature. I always know when the next time is that something is due to happen, so I just try to log in then, and ER if needed. It's not like a hatched or matured egg requires instant action.

Agree totally. There is almost never an occasion when you can't manage your own scroll - which is what the game is about.

(I guess sunrise/sunsets auto-ERing is the only really tricky one !)

And those of us who do NOT have email programmes running all the time manage. I know this. xd.png

So... you're saying that I should have /declined/ the recent gift of 3 valentines eggs I recieved, because I had homework so I couldn't actively check my scroll? Nice.

Ok, so this idea wouldn't be very useful to the (probably very small) number of DC users who don't have phones/computers/whatever with automatic email retrieval. Those people would probably have an option to turn the alerts off, meaning it wouldn't affect them in the slightest.

I'm not saying we NEED this, just that it would be very useful to those of us who have slightly more important things like education to worry about.

EDIT: just because someone has time to check their email, (which they probably use for many different things, and important ones at that) it doesn't mean they can check the cave (which is one site with some pixel dragons on it) instead.

Edited by dracocharky

So... you're saying that I should have /declined/ the recent gift of 3 valentines eggs I recieved, because I had homework so I couldn't actively check my scroll?  Nice.

Ok, so this idea wouldn't be very useful to the (probably very small) number of DC users who don't have phones/computers/whatever with automatic email retrieval.  Those people would probably have an option to turn the alerts off, meaning it wouldn't affect them in the slightest.

I'm not saying we NEED this, just that it would be very useful to those of us who have slightly more important things like education to worry about.

EDIT: just because someone has time to check their email, (which they probably use for many different things, and important ones at that) it doesn't mean they can check the cave (which is one site with some pixel dragons on it) instead.

No. BUT - email notification that your eggs are sick would not have covered that. And if someone is gifting you - they CAN email you - I ran into this with someone I was gifting last week. They didn't respond to PM, but they did respond when I emailed them.

Also - offers don't come through your scroll - so a scroll message email would make no difference. They come via PMs - and you DO get emails when you get a PM (unless you have chosen not to) - so I don't see how this is relevant. You wouldn't see anything about a gift offer anywhere on your scroll.

And - don't insult people with lives unlike yours by suggesting that some of us have nothing better to do. We ALL have other more important things to do. Every last one of us. Your homework doesn't somehow outrank taking care of my grandchildren or any of the other things I have to do which take far more time, and yes, are far more important, than this forum or the cave.

Edited by fuzzbucket

If you can't watch your scroll, don't collect/breed till you can.

I was refering to that.

I couldn't nececarily watch my scroll, so according to you I shouldn't have taken them. The only reason I knew about it was because the person emailed me.

I never said you had nothing better to do. I didn't even imply it. I said that people have more important things to do than checking the cave all of the time. The homework was just an example.

Please read my post properly before you start picking it to pieces ^.^

I don't see the need for an email notification option, especially since we have notification on our scrolls.

I have DC bookmarked, so all I have to do is click myself in, and check the top of my scroll. It doesn't take long.

I don't see that we need our hands held so much. We need to be responsible for watching our eggs/hatchlings for sickness. We already have a scroll warning, so we just have to check our scroll once in a while to be on top of things.

I was refering to that.

I couldn't necessarily watch my scroll, so according to you I shouldn't have taken them. The only reason I knew about it was because the person emailed me.

I never said you had nothing better to do. I didn't even imply it. I said that people have more important things to do than checking the cave all of the time. The homework was just an example.

Please read my post properly before you start picking it to pieces ^.^

Sure - as long as you do the same to mine ! Peace !

I imagine nothing of yours died - so you were managing your scroll well without this messaging !

I don't really like this idea. I hate getting emails, I hardly ever check them. As of right now I have over 600 to read. Isn't the point of a game to play it? If you can't or won't check your scroll then there are consequences to that, just like if you put your eggs into too many hatcheries/get them too many views. Why not just take sickness away instead? It would make everything easier, right?

Sure - as long as you do the same to mine ! Peace !

I imagine nothing of yours died - so you were managing your scroll well without this messaging !

At the end of the day, you don't like this idea and wouldn't use it, whereas I do like it and would. End of discussion.

I don't really like this idea. I hate getting emails, I hardly ever check them. As of right now I have over 600 to read. Isn't the point of a game to play it? If you can't or won't check your scroll then there are consequences to that, just like if you put your eggs into too many hatcheries/get them too many views. Why not just take sickness away instead? It would make everything easier, right?

This, basically.

Let's do away with sickness and death altogether, if you want it to be easier to play.

A game is something you actively play. You shouldn't need reminders every single time something happens on your scroll, just check your scroll in the first place! We've all gotten along just fine without reminders, why implement them now?

Oh goodness, I'd almost forgotten about the notices at the top of the scrolls these days! xd.png (remembers back in ye auld days when you had to check every egg)

You know, even my sad little phone that doesn't even have the modern convenience of a camera (mutters something about silly government job that doesn't let her bring anything that can snap photos into her work center) can connect with the net and get a horrible rendition of DC. I'm still of the opinion that emails would be stickingly redundant.

Once again, to reiterate, if it were implemented I'd want its default option to be OFF. Don't spam me, DC!