Steamrider

egg hatch/hatchie sickness, e-mail notification

alot.png of people have lost eggs and hatchlings to sickness because they have been away. so how about you get an e-mail warning you of its sickness?

so what do you think? could this be usefull?

this used to be when a Egg/hatchie grows up you get an e-mail, but nobody liked that...

Edited by Steamrider

Well.... I think its kinda redundant, coz in the end, instead of checking our scrolls, we'll still have to check our emails. So i dont really see the point in this xd.png

Well.... I think its kinda redundant, coz in the end, instead of checking our scrolls, we'll still have to check our emails. So i dont really see the point in this xd.png

This.

I mean - why play if you don't want to check your scroll ?

i'm not saying this would be usefull to EVERYBODY.

i have pretty fast inernet connection and i'm on my computer most of the day, so i have multiple websites up in different tabs so every once and a while i refresh dragon cave.

but some people have slow connection. and they dont get on much. and since people usually check their e-mail. they dont have to check dragon cave too!

i had really slow inernet once. and it would have been usefull then...

I can see where you're coming from, but isn't it just easier to log in and check your scroll?

I mean, I would assume with this system they could also get emails over their dragons being sick. And if that's the case they'd just have to log in anyway and fog their eggs or hatchlings so they wouldn't die.

yes i think this would help those of us that share the only computer with their siblings i have three so i know first hand how hard it is too get on and check on my dragons xd.png so an email notification would help me and others like me laugh.gif

A big 'meh' from me. I would never use this. I get too much 'useless' mails drowning out my important mails as it is.

I'm not opposed as long as it's optional, though.

I have two thoughts/worries regarding this.

1.) It seems a bit too hand-holdy. If you're so busy that you can't check to see whether an egg has hatched or a hatchie has grown up, maybe a scroll sitter is needed? There's a thread in Site Discussion for that. Also, I'm not sure what backup there would be for this in the RP sense, either..

2.) Right now there are 30k eggs/hatchies growing in Allure. I'm sure there are more than that, spread across the fansites, but that's an example. That makes me wonder just what sort of support would be required for the site to send out that many emails all the time.

your right... maybe the website cant handle that many e-mails... i dont know.

for the RPing thing dragons have telepathy so they could like tell you, while your far away.

I get what your point is, but I HATE getting deluged with emails from forums when I recieve a PM or someone replied to a topic I posted on. It clutters my inbox, and I often accidently delete an email I was meaning to keep. Getting emails from Dragon Cave would only make it worse.

I would say that this is a bit unessary. I kinda enjoy going on my scroll to check my dragin's progress anyways! xd.png

Edited by Moonbeam22

This gets a resounding 'no' from me as well. I already have enough email from DC to keep track of, even with the fifteen or so topics that I track - and I check the forums regularly enough that they are redundant and unnecessary. If I could turn off email notifications for the forums, I would! I don't need the game to hold my hand - seeing whether you have room to go cave hunting today, or whether you're too fond of that nth generation inbred waterwalker you found in the AP to drop it in favor of an incoming trade...it's the whole point of the game! Getting your scroll to tell you "hey, that egg hatched" or "hey, go see if that hatchling is sick" would not only clutter up my inbox with needless information, but what would be the point of even logging in except every once in a while?

Even though I do understand how this would appeal to some, I'd have to vote no, too, for the following:

1. As kerrikins pointed out, that seems like it would dedicate a lot of system resources to emailing.

2. Every time someone didn't get an email, whether through a glitch on our end or theirs, they'd expect DC to "fix" things (for instance, if the player was planning to freeze or trade directly upon hatching).

3. For some reason, there's always a certain amount of people who will mark email as spam, even if they've opted into a system, (that may be because they forgot they could change it, or because it's a shared email address, etc) By sending out thousands of emails all the time, that can become a real problem. I know that it became one with the forum for a while.

4. A huge part of having a website is drawing traffic to your site. But with this plan, we're using up resources to keep people away. I'm not certain how that benefits the site.

I mean - why play if you don't want to check your scroll ?

What these two said.

they dont have to check dragon cave too!

I dunno about you, but I tend to just stop playing when games or websites become a chore--"Oh, I better log in and check to see what's up..." If you feel you HAVE to check it (outside of the "I'm obsessed and must check all the time!" kind of have to), then you're probably better off taking a step back.

yes i think this would help those of us that share the only computer with their siblings i have three so i know first hand how hard it is too get on and check on my dragons xd.png  so an email notification would help me and others like me laugh.gif

But then you'd have to get on to check your e-mail--how is getting on to your e-mail and logging that much harder than getting on and viewing your scroll?

2.) Right now there are 30k eggs/hatchies growing in Allure. I'm sure there are more than that, spread across the fansites, but that's an example. That makes me wonder just what sort of support would be required for the site to send out that many emails all the time.

I worry about this, too. There are a massive number of eggs/hatchlings right now, if you got an e-mail every time one hatched/matured, that could eat up resources quickly. Then again, maybe not--I dunno how that works.

3.  For some reason, there's always a certain amount of people who will mark email as spam, even if they've opted into a system, (that may be because they forgot they could change it, or because it's a shared email address, etc) By sending out thousands of emails all the time, that can become a real problem.  I know that it became one with the forum for a while.

4.  A huge part of having a website is drawing traffic to your site.  But with this plan, we're using up resources to keep people away.  I'm not certain how that benefits the site.

I myself have several folders for mail from various sites that I either ignore 95% of the time, or delete, sometimes reading it. I do it because I got too many mails from the site, and I've lost interest in some of what I'm being sent--but I wonder if I might regain that interest later, so I keep it anyway. /hoarding e-mails

But mostly it just either sits in my inbox or gets deleted. Or I was going to check the site anyway so it was useless to sign up for it...

And that fourth point is a very good one. You don't make a site so that people will only come to it once in a while--you make a site, and you want people to come to it every day, even better if they come multiple times a day!

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I think it's a lot easier to check DC to see the state of your scroll rather than just reading about it in an email. Sometimes you want to know specifics - like what the gender is, or which lineage it is if you've got two growing dragons that are the same breed, or stuff like that.

I just don't think it'd be that useful.

Hand-holdy. Definitely. We are *supposed* to check our eggs and hatchlings. We have dragon sickness so that we can't just shove them into hatcheries and forget about them.... We are supposed to take care of them. That's the whole point of this game, hatching and growing dragons.

If you don't want to bother with checking your scroll, just don't. Don't play the game. But that's what the game IS.

Hand-holdy. Definitely. We are *supposed* to check our eggs and hatchlings. We have dragon sickness so that we can't just shove them into hatcheries and forget about them.... We are supposed to take care of them. That's the whole point of this game, hatching and growing dragons.

My thoughts exactly!

This idea gets a big no-no from me. It would go against everything this site is about and well.... everything's already kinda mentioned above smile.gif

I love to check out my eggs/hatchies!

I find its MUCH quicker to check my scroll than to open email. I dont even have to log in to check my scroll. The ones with slow connections are most likely hiding their adults anyhow.. and even on my slowest computer (a 6 or 7 year old netbook of some form) it is much much faster to check my user link. I hide my adults because im lazy and dont want to search for eggs.

It really isn't that much of a hassle to just go and check my scroll. You don't even have to log in. And like Marie pointed out, the whole point is to actually check on your dragons. Sorry, but no support from me.

I dunno about you, but I tend to just stop playing when games or websites become a chore--"Oh, I better log in and check to see what's up..." If you feel you HAVE to check it (outside of the "I'm obsessed and must check all the time!" kind of have to), then you're probably better off taking a step back.

This, also.

I just took a little more than a month's hiatus because it became a drag (and now am *** at myself that I missed the Chinese New Year release...). I just logged in once in a while to make sure my names are safe, but didn't play at all, didn't go to the forums either. And now I feel like logging in and playing again, it's fun again.

If I don't feel like logging into a game, I certainly don't want emails to tell me I have to. I'll come back whenever I feel like it.

Urgh. With as many accounts as I've already got to update when I change my email address for going out to sea, I'd hate to see this feature. Plus filling my shipboard email with spam about my eggs/hatchlings doing what they're supposed to do when I've already got to sort through tons of business related crap and business-derived spam would be more of a task than it's worth.

I'd only support if this is an option that can be turned on only via the account settings and its default setting was off. Other than that, no. I don't need more clutter in my accounts, and don't need to be thinking about swapping information to continue to receive notifications when I go out on deployment.

It's more work for me to check my email than my scroll. I have firefox set up to remember where I was when I close it, though I hardly ever close it entirely. I also always have a tab set to my scroll, and another to the forum here. So, to check my scroll all I have to do is bring up firefox and refresh the page. Takes less than 2 seconds.

What's the point of playing a game, if you don't play the game? If I had to be dragged in by my email every time my scroll needed my attention, I'd quit playing at all.

Big no from me here.

@Fiona BlueFire: i do that too

this isnt something for all of us and i know checking your scroll is faster than checking your e-mail. i'm saying this is for people with REALLY slow inernet connection and/or they dont get on the computer hardly at all. they probobly check there e-mail anyway.

take Aislein for instants. she said that she shares a computer with three siblings. so she probobly doenst get much time on the computer. so lets say she brings her scroll up (she has to login which takes a second because of that annoying security thing) and lets say there is nothing new on her scroll. she wasted time she could be doing something else! one of the first thing she probobly does is check her e-mail. so lets say nothing grew up she wont go on her scroll. if something DID grow up. than she as a reason to go to her scroll.

the idea as it is, no.

An email alert for sickness, however, isn't a bad idea at all. I've lost eggs to sickness on moe than one occasion, and that could be prevented if I had a little email pop up in he corner of my screen.