kronosdragon

The Wings of the Changeling

Phayne snorted in annoyance at Tyra's comment and proceeded to follow the other's. "This dragon better know his way around these part's, the sooner we get out of here the better" he said to himself.

Phayne pushed his way past Tyra as she was momentarily distracted by Sumara. "I am not sour." he growled as he passed her, obviously frustrated by her comment.

"Teamwork, my friends. You will all need to put up with each other for the time being, so you may as well get used to it. Now move along. Dharsii, after you," Asoryll said, waiting for the others to move in front of him before bringing up the rear. He kept a watchful eye on his teammates, pulling his hood back over his face. The dust coating his scales was beginning to itch, but it was something he had built up a tolerance to and didn't think much on it.

Tyra quickly turned her head as Phayne shoved by her. "Are too," she chuckled, beginning to walk again. She lightly brushed past Phayne, leaving a light frost on some of his scales as she hurried to catch up with Dharsii. When she fell back in line with the others, she became quiet as she thought about the dangerous journey ahead.

“Hmm. That makes sense, I suppose.” Sumara seems so distant, Peri thought. She’s definitely upset about something, but she won’t tell me. Maybe she’s the one hiding something. Peri smiled faintly at the idea. “Well, anyway, if that’s what you think…”

"Silence, Do the two of you want to alert the whole forest of our presence? I for one would rather not come face to face with a stone dragon!"

Peri flinched at the Black dragon’s reprimand. “Well, geez, Phayne!” Her wings rustled indignantly. “We weren’t even being that loud. And we’ve all been talking in the forest at some point. We’re not dead, are we?” Peri glared at Phayne, then sighed. “Yeah, I’ll be careful in the forest. I don’t want to get us killed either. Let’s just get going.” She shuffled into the line. There were so many secrets in the air. It was frustrating, but now wasn’t the time to think about them.

Phayne glared back at Peri. "You never know who is eavesdropping. Shadow walker's lurk the shadow's of this accursed place. They could easily be stalking us right now, waiting for the opportune time to strike. Just because we have survived untill now, does not give us reason to drop our guard. So you best be wary of your surrounding's less we fall into an ambush". As he said the last word, he looked at Dharsii whom he still did not fully trust.

A bump shook him out of his thoughts and back to reality as he watched Tyra brush past him. A cold tingling sensation could be felt on his side. Phayne quickly stopped and rubbed it off with one of his paw's. She was really getting on his nerves now.

tongue.gif

“Oh, so you’re the only one allowed to talk, huh?” Peri whispered fiercely. “Geez, what do you want? I get it! The forest is dangerous, and I already said I’d be quiet.” Peri noticed that Phayne was no longer paying attention. “Hey-” She followed his gaze to the Grey dragon. Urgh, I really need to learn his name. What’s Phayne looking at him for? Something related to the fight in the field? Peri sighed. She felt like she’d missed the most important part of the journey. Tyra was going to have to explain a whole lot of things once they got out of this forest.

Peri returned to the current situation. “Okay, Phayne, look. Let’s just both shut up at the same time. This isn’t helping anybody.”

Phayne didn't physically react to Peri's response, however he did take note and replied to himself. "That fool! The only reason I spoke, was to tell them to not speak. I wouldn't have opened my mouth if not for their trivial conversation" he said to himself.

This was going to be a long strenuous journey for Phayne, both physically and mentally. It hadn't even been a day and he was already losing his patience with the naivety of a couple of the other dragon's. It would take a miracle in order for him to survive this trip without popping his gasket.

Phayne grunted at Peri's last remark about shutting up together. But other then that, he did little more to acknowledge her comment and continued to follow the line.

Edited by TotallyDrow

From then on, Tyra was strangely quiet. Her mind flashed back to the day she was ripped away from her only family she had. Her eyes glazed over with glossy tears and one managed to escape, rolling down her cheek. Why did they have to take her away...? Her poor father...it more than likely killed him seeing his family torn away from him by force. Her tail dragged solemnly on the ground and her graceful wings drooped as well. Wherever she walked, a thin layer of frost covered the ground.

Dharsii ignored most of what the other dragons said to eachother and fanned his wings to cast a shadow before him so he could judgee the time and which direction was which. He folded his wings again after a moment and looked back at the other dragons. "Lets be going then."

He headed into the forest at an angle so they would be traveling slightly northeast along the northward path of the river. This should get us to the Stone Thicket in about a day or so, he thought to himself.

Ever alert, he kept his tongue flicking and eyes moving so that he could take in everything around him. He could hear the black and sunstone dragon talking behind him and was releived when they both fell silent. The less noise we make the better. He continued walking in silence, his tail swishing from side to side as he walked.

Edited by Drakossozh

Asoryll followed close behind the procession, keeping both ear, eye and nose alert to anything out of the ordinary. Having traveled through the woods before, picking his way through the brambles was second nature to him. He worried more about the safety of his new friends, regardless of whether or not they fully trusted him.

True, he was hiding more than he was willing to answer. But, he knew that the Tablets existed. Being the former ruler of the Northern Throne, his initiation was to climb to the top of Mount Ascension and receive the blessings of each of the Guardians of Balance. His mind fell back upon those days, if only for a moment, to relive that old memory.

He was just a young dragon then, barely reaching maturity when his father stepped down from the throne. He had fallen ill, and that same illness afflicted the young Asoryll when he was supposed to make his trek to the peak of the mountain. No wings were allowed, and the Archmage, Suiin, had his wings magically bound to prevent him from flying his way to the top. Despite his illness, he had to make the journey. Sick with fever, chills, and muscle weakness, he began his climb up the sheer cliff face that was the base of the mountain.

Oh how his body ached upon passing this first milestone. A full half-mile of vertical climbing left him in an even more weakened state, and he feared he would never make it. But, from this fear came his inner fire. After he had rested a bit, he made it his goal to reach the top alive. Despite the bitter cold and the numbness in his bound wings, he was able to make the rest of the 5 mile climb. Over frozen rocks and deep snow, he broke the cloud layer and emerged into a cold, windy calm. There the cave sat, mouth open and filled with tooth-like stalactites and stalagmites. Inside were the nine protectors of the Tablets, but before he could say anything, he passed out from exhaustion and weakness.

He didn't remember what happened next. All he knew was that had awakened on a bed of furs, with one of the Guardians looking down at him. She was a beautiful Magma dragoness, her glowing eyes filled with laughter as she smiled at him. He had never been so captivated in his life. Then again, he had never seen a Magma dragon before, and the heat that radiated from her was intense, yet soothing to his frozen body.

"I'm sorry," he had said quietly. "I failed. I made it here, only to pass out before receiving your blessings..."

"A'gru nauchta li'doci gandragau," she had said, laughing. Such strange language it was, but it had a deeper beauty to it, as if something precious and rare.

"Excuse her," came another voice. He turned his eyes upon a dragon of deep blue color, sparks arcing over her wings and scales. "She does not speak the common language, but she understands it. She is far more ancient than any of us, and grew up in a world before the common language arrived in Vyrmgard."

This dragon, a large male, seemed kind, but stern. He was a Thunder dragon, the second Asoryll had seen in his lifetime.

"How does one...understand a language, but not speak it?" Asoryll had asked.

"It is a complicated affair, and one that would take more time to explain than we have. However, what she said is true. She said, 'You arrived, regardless of the fact that you were ill. You are far stronger than you give yourself credit for.'"

Asoryll blushed at the compliment before rolling over onto his feet, rising up.

"Thank you," he mumbled. "And thank you again, for nursing me back to health."

Both dragons smiled at each other, then turned toward the entrance of the dimly lit cavern.

"Come. You have blessings to receive."

"Wait. Can I...Can I know your names?" Asoryll asked, shuffling toward them.

"We have long forgotten our names, such is the curse for becoming a Guardian. We now go by the name of what we represent. She is Heart. I am Mind. You will meet the others when we arrive to the Crystal Chamber. Make haste."

Asoryll followed behind them, taking in this new information.

They walked through winding passages that led to the most wondrous sight Asoryll had ever seen. It was a cave filled with massive, prismatic crystals that must have been growing for decades. Mind looked back at him, chuckling at the look on his face.

"This entire cavern is a massive geode. These crystals only grow here, and have special properties. It is one of these crystals that lies within the Pendant of Auroras, which has been passed down through your family generation after generation. It is only wearable by those of your blood."

Asoryll gaped. So the beautiful crystal he had thought to be a peerless diamond was actually much more than that. He had often played with it as a youngster, for which his father scolded him. Now he understood why.

They walked to the center of the crystal cavern, where a pale blue light was emanating from a large pool of clear water. Around it sat the seven other members of the Guardians. There was a Gold and Silver sitting side-by-side, both so regal and graceful. There was an Ice dragon, sitting proudly across from a Shadow Walker who seemed to be in a trance. The remaining three were a male Terrae, a red-winged Nebula, and a Dayglory drake.

Mind and Heart took their places in the circle with the others. The water in the pool seemed to pulse as they did.

"Brothers and sisters, let us bestow upon this young ruler the Blessing of Ygraava."

The dragons all bowed their heads, and the pool of water shimmered with a faint light. Asoryll felt himself floating, and looked down to see that a cloud of mist had enveloped his feet, and they were moving of their own accord toward the circle. He felt his heart thump in his chest as he walked out and atop the water. The mist dissipated and he was left standing alone, in the middle of the pool that seemed bottomless with how dark the water was below. He gulped, and soothing voice echoed above him.

"Do not fear," it had said. "You are safe among us."

The voice was collective, made of many different voices. He looked around the others, though they made no movement. The voice boomed in his head, echoing loudly.

"In the name of the Guardian of Nature, the Watcher of us All, we give you the Blessing of Ygraava."

Then, individual voices made themselves known as the water beneath him began to bubble.

"Heart."

"Mind."

"Body."

"Spirit."

"Nature."

"Song."

"Shadow."

"Day."

"Night."

A deep rumbling came from below him, and the pool bubbled as if boiling. Around him rose nine stone slabs, each emblazoned with a different, unrecognizable symbol. They hung in the air, circled around him. Each hung before a dragon, and Asoryll assumed that they were each the Guardian of the particular tablet that hovered before them.

Each Tablet seemed to glow, and bright field of light surrounded him. He panicked, but a soothing melody suddenly began to play in his head. He let his eyes close, and made himself at peace. He then opened them again, and the other dragons were looking straight ahead, their eyes aglow.

It was abrupt, was happened next. His vision faded, and he blacked out. But, he could have sworn he heard another voice, a tenth voice, before doing so. When he woke up, he was still standing on the pool of water. The light had gone, the other dragons were back to normal, and the Tablets had sunk back into their watery tomb.

Was it all a dream? Was it real? His questions were answered when together, the Guardians said, "You have successfully received Ygraava's blessing. You are a ruler at heart, and the rightful heir to the throne. Great things will come of you and your people."

Asoryll thought deeply to himself. Were they somehow aware of what was to come? Did they know about the Changeling and the darkness it would bring? Upon leaving their cave, he had felt more alive than ever, and didn't even think upon what they had said at the time. It now seems to make sense. He, a fallen king, now bringing together a group of followers to help restore the balance of the land. It just fit too perfectly...So, if they knew what was to come, why didn't they do anything? Why did they disappear?

((Would arriving at the stone thicket or seeing it in the distance count as plot advancement? I don't think there's much more to be said about our trip through the forest.))

Peri looked around for what must have been the thousandth time. The forest still looked the same. Trees rose up on all sides, with patches of brambles and yellow grass between them. The darkness quietly waited at the edges of her vision. How does anyone find their way around this place? Peri desperately hoped that the Gray dragon knew what he was doing. Was he really from the petrified forest? Well, there’s no going back now.

Staying quiet and walking didn’t manage to take up all of Peri’s concentration, and she was soon bored out of her mind. Couldn’t they move faster? Maybe that would attract the attention of predators. Urgh. Peri idly thought about her little clan, a comfortable little town where nothing ever happened. Life there had felt timeless, and change, even growing up, felt like an impossible concept. But then this happened. Not leaving with the rest of them was the most stupid thing she had ever done. How could she have ever thought staying would make everything better? Peri shook her head. It didn’t matter anymore. As far as she knew, everyone she loved was still alive and well. As long as there was a chance of them being alive, they are. They had to be, if only to keep her focused on her task.

Peri looked back up. The trees looked as identical as always, but she knew that they were closer to their goal. Stay alive, guys. I’ll go find you as soon as we save the world.

((Yes, it would be considered, plot-advancement, Pi.))

Asoryll's thoughts returned to the task at hand. He looked at the trees as they passed. What many thought to be a maze of stone and thorns was actually more methodical than that. He trusted the Grey to lead them through, especially after having lived in the forest, maybe even before the Changeling came. He was sure that the others thought him insane for putting his trust in someone who had just attacked them, and so easily at that. But, he knew that like respect, trust had to be given in order to be received, even if not for a while.

He followed the rest of the clan onward, toward their destination.

As Dharsii continued along the way towards the Stone Thicket, the shrubs growing bewteen the petrified trees became more and more bramble-like. The Gray made sure to clear out a path whenever the plants happened to lay across where they needed to go. He used his wings to clear away any thorns that could be left on the path so that they would not get caught between his new allies claws or scales.

After a long while of clearing the path ahead of the group he had a fair amount of scratches on the scales of his chest and neck that he had been using to shove aside the bramble bushes, but scratched up scale didn't even sting or draw blood so he disregarded them. The only damage the scrathes caused was to the look of his scales and one's looks are not high on the list of priorities when you live alone in the wilderness.

However, after using his wingtips to bush aside stray thorns and bramble vines for what must have been hours, the tips of his wings were raw and bloody, with a number of thorns stuck in them. It stung worse each time he had to push aside the brambles an it was a relief to him that the plants seemed to be thinning out.

After a short while, the trees and shrubs began to thin out. The young Gray dragon slowed his pace and tested the air with his tongue and listened. He could not here or scent anything other than his allies behind him. But that was the problem with Stoe dragons. They smelled so much like the fossilized trees, resembled the rocks so well, and could lay so perfectly motionless that it was almost impossible to spot one in this forest. He could not be certain if one was near or not until it moved and by that time it could be to late to avoid being seen as well.

Dharsii slowly came to a halt and began to scan the nearby area with every sense at his disposal. Sight, smell, hearing, taste, and feel all readily felt about the slowly clearing forest. They shouldn't be to far from the Stone Thicket now. But he knew that a very large Stone dragon called that place home. He had come across him before and the fight had not turned out well for Dharsii. The Gray turned his head to look back at the group, the big Red in particular.

"We shouldn't be to far from the Stone Thicket. I would like to scout ahead to see if the path is clear for us to move in." He said, "The rest of you should rest for a bit. I shouldn't be too long." The Gray scanned over the group with his glowing orange eyes as he waited for the Red's response to if he should scout ahead.

((so if I am in control of plot advancement at the moment would I also control the Stone dragon of the Stone Thicket? If not thats totally fine. I'm just curious. Also, if this advancement is to quick I can change it to take a longer amount of time.))

Edited by Drakossozh

((This is fine, Drak. Also, yes, you can control the Stone Dragon of the thicket. Just remember, the Stone will only be an NPC, so there is no implementing him into the story as a character of importance.))

Asoryll looked around at the others, then nodded in silent agreement with Dharsii.

"Don't move too far ahead," he whispered. "Stay within earshot, so that we can hear you if you run into trouble up there."

Beryl had taken up the rear near Zarbeses. She kept alert, watching her back, not really trusting Zarbeses still but she wanted to talk to him at some point. But now was not the time. They had to be quiet while passing through the petrified woods. Otherwise, they'd alert more than just Stone Dragons that could be nearby. She shook her head as she thought. She had noticed that Zarbeses had this odd habit of curling his back toes whenever a situation became tense. When she thought about it, he was a lot like Asoryll, yet somehow different. And his age, his age fit the profile of the long dead Asoryll. Could they be connected? Perhaps a twin she had never heard of? Or perhaps... no that was absurd. She had seen Asoryll die that fateful night. She sighed and continued to plod along with the rest of the dragons.

However, the Gray dragon interrupted her thoughts on the situation and she blinked, perking up as she listened to his whispers. She shook her head, still not trusting the Gray, which she had not caught the name of, and listened when Zarbeses had actually told him to scout ahead. She looked to Zarbeses and back at the Gray, and then back at Zarbeses. "Perhaps we should send another with him, just one. You know, for backup. They could stay away for the most part and keep hidden, in case the Gray gets attacked," she prompted Zarbeses.

"In any other situation, I would agree with you. But, the more of us there are in any given location, the more likely we are of being sighted," Asoryll replied softly. "Now hush, and rest while you can."

Asoryll sat down after clearing away some of the brush and thorns with his tail. He picked up one of his bleeding paws and proceeded to yank thorns out of his footpads.

Maybe they are still alive-Ow!-somewhere.... What if-Ouch!-I could find them after we return the tablets and restore peace...Ah! The pale blue winter dragoness finally had to stop walking for a moment to examine her sore feet. I'm definitely not compatible with this evironment, she though, frowning. Her soft paws, made for gliding over top of the cool snow were scratched up and beginning to bleed; not to mention the air was uncomfortabley warm. After picking off all the thorns and prickers from her feet, she slowly attempted to move on, walking very carefully to try and protect her tender paws. How much she wished for that comforting cold snow and ice right at that moment.

The brambles became thicker and thicker. Peri guessed that they were approaching the Stone Thicket that the Gray dragon had talked about. She was almost glad for the distraction, and quietly focused on avoiding the spiky little things. They were simply everywhere. The dragons in front of her must have it even worse. When Dharsii stopped, she nearly bumped into Phayne and muttered an apology before focusing on what he had to say.

Well, rest sounds pretty good right now. Peri followed Asoryll’s example and sat down. What if the Gray just leaves us here? She pushed the uncomfortable thought back. He wouldn’t. Peri checked her paws and found many more thorns than she had expected. Why do these thorns have to detach from the main plant? It seems awfully unnecessary. Peri plucked a couple of them out and set them on the grass, regarding them with interest. There weren't many thorned plants back home.

The darkness came back after the temporary distraction of the brambles. The forest seemed even more claustrophobic than before. Were they still not allowed to talk? A few whispers couldn't hurt. Peri stood up and picked her way towards Tyra. “Hey. Are you alright? Your feet don’t look too great.”

Hearing another approach her, Tyra turned her head and saw the Sunstone, Peri, walk up to her and inquire if she was alright. "Yeah, I'm fine...," Tyra sighed, once again examining her feet, "I'm just not used to this environment. I'm a Winter dragon, born to live in the icy tundras and frosty mountains of the north, not here among brambles and warm weather."

(Sorry, short. x . x)

Edited by Tyra-Ice

Peri nodded. "I can see that. Most of us aren't from the forest, but at least we don't have the climate problem." She carefully swept away some brambles with her tail and sat down beside Tyra. "These thorns are nasty, aren't they? Why do they even come off the plant, do you think?" She plucked a last thorn out of her paw. "There aren't a lot of thorned plants in the plains, and definitely none that just kind of lie there in our way waiting for us to step on them. It's like these guys exist to annoy us." She crushed the thorn with a claw, then turned back to look at Tyra.

"Hey, since we're just waiting for that guy to come back now, do you think you could fill me in on this tablet stuff? I got the part about them being real, and I'm assuming they can help us save the world somehow, but beyond that...?" She threw a glance at Phayne, wondering when he would notice their conversation.

Asoryll plucked another thorn from his paw and looked over his shoulder with half-lidded eyes.

"The thorns break off of these particular plants because that is where the seeds grow. Once the thorn is broken, it ceases to grow and begins to deteriorate. When the thorns fall off or are plucked out, they are planted where they fall. As for the Tablets, I will explain when we are out of this forest, young Peri. For now, let us just keep our heads down and our mouths shut."

He then gripped a particularly stubborn thorn buried in one of his hind paws, using his pointed teeth to tug it from the soft pad of his foot. He winced as the thorn came out, tipped with blood. His foot began to bleed from the puncture. He licked it, grumbling something about leaving a blood trail.

"Oh. That's interesting!" Peri nudged the crushed thorn. But wouldn't dragons and animals be less likely to walk through a bramble patch if there were thorns present? Burrs would make much more sense. "And okay. I just...I've never been here before. I find the place pretty unsettling. You can't even see the danger until you walk right into it." Maybe they just fall off after a while, anyway? "I guess I'm just really nervous right now and I'm not sure what else to do, except talk. But not talking is pretty important right now, so I'll stop." Can these things actually survive without the sun? They don't have a whole lot of leaves, so maybe they rely on the sun less. They'll probably still die out eventually. Peri looked at the crushed thorn a little guiltily, then smiled. She had found a new distraction. What about all that yellow grass?...

Dharsii looked at the Royal Blue when she suggested sending someone with him. They still don't trust me...But why should they? I did attack them... He was relieved when Zarbeses said that more would be more likely to be spotted. He looked around at the other dragons. They all seemed to have thorns stuck in their paws.

"I appologize. I tried to clear away as many of them as I could while we walked." He lifted his bleeding wingtips for emphasis. "Watch where you walk around here, its easy to get thorns stuck in your paws which is why you should watch your step and use your wingtipss to clear the path in front of you."

The Gray cleared a spot with his tail and brought his wings forward. "I will depart momentarily." He removed the thorns caught in his bleeding wingtips with his tongue, wrapping it gently around each thorn before slowly wiggling it loose. He then spat the slightly curved thorn out after extracting each one. He then licked the bleeding tips of his wings before folding them and rising to his feet.

"I will be back soon. The Stone Thicket is not too far ahead. I will scout it out and report back as quickly as I can. If I do not returnthe river lies almost directly east of this spot." He streched out like a large feline and then turned and began to silently head off through the fossilized forest.

If that Stone dragon is still here we should have the advantage. His wing was ruined in our fight last time so if I find him here perhaps I will request to Zarbeses that we fly over the Thicket. But that would leave us open to any other dragons who are in the nearby area... Curses.

He slipped through the thorn brush with a slight scraping sound as the thorns caught on his scales. He would definately need to pick these out later. He drew nearer to the stone Thicket and the plants around him began to thin out. The ground below was coated with ash rather than dirt. He flicked his tongue to sample the air. So the old Stone did still live around here. He was still burning back the surviving plants around his petrified labyrinth. The Gray crept forward as quietly as he could, padding across the ash.

The Stone Thicket came into view at last. The massive twisting bramble vines had been here since before the forest was petrified and had been turned to rock along with the trees. The massive tangle of stone spikes was a forbiding sight. I'm glad we are going around the thing, Dharsii thought to himself.

He tested the area with his senses once more before turning and heading back to the group. He emerged into the clearing they had stopped at and proceeded to try and remove the thorns that had lodged between his scales.

And those moon roses… Peri noticed a gray shape approaching the group. So he didn’t leave us here! Peri sighed in relief, and felt a little guilty for even thinking that. She stood up and stumbled a few steps forward to meet the Gray dragon. “Hey! You’re back!” She winced at the volume of her exclamation, and switched to a whisper. “So, how does it look? Can we keep going? Is that stone dragon there?” She cast a glance in the direction of the Stone Thicket, then looked anxiously at Dharsii. She only noticed the thorns after several seconds of staring. “Oh! You’re covered in those things. Do…should I help with that?”

Tyra nodded at the friendly Sunstone dragon. "Yeah, strange plants, aren't they? I just wish they could spread their seeds in a less painful way," she replied in a whisper, so as to not give away their position. Turning her head, she noticed Dharsii disappear through some bushes, probably to scout out the area. The Winter dragoness became deathly quiet and stayed low. "Peri, it'd be best to be quiet. Remember, that Stone dragon lives around here...," she warned in a whisper.