kronosdragon

The Wings of the Changeling

Phayne turned his head and looked at Tyra as she approached and tried to make conversation. Phayne snorted before responding, "I don't make it a habit to acquaint myself with other's on a mission. Once I get my reward for helping I'll be on my way....". Phayne turned his head away from her and the other's and rested it down on the meadow, he might as well make the most of this stop and conserve his energy for the journey.

Tyra withdrew somewhat, receving his harsh answer. Frowning, she lay down not far away. "Well...you know there's more to life than rewards...," she murmured softly, thinking of her long lost family, "You must be lonely out on your own." She fidgeted with the shackle on her tail, once again trying to get it off even though she knew her attempts were in vain. "I know I was...," she whispered.

"Reward's make surviving in this desolate land easier. Without the thought of attaining something of value, what is the point of surviving day after day? Since the fall of the royal family and the death of Asoryll there has been nothing but pain and suffering throughout the lands. Families stripped of all their possession's forced into servitude to those who would wrongly place themselves above other's. I seek reward's for the sole purpose of not being driven to insanity out here in the wilderness," he growled. "As for being lonely... you get used to it."

Phayne glared at her shackles, just another reminder of the suffering that has plagued all of Wrymgard.

"So the...you have no family?" Tyra enquired, her voice full of sympathy. She noticed his expression and quickly placed her wings over ths silver bands to hide them from view. The harsh wind had turned to a gentle breeze for which Tyra was thankful. The yellow grass and petite moon flowers swayed back and forth in the wind and the river babbled softly as it ran down its path.

Beryl watched as the Winter Dragoness Tyra walked over to the mercenary whose name was Phayne. She laid down near them and listened to their conversation. She winced when Phayne said about the fall of the royal family and Asoryll's death. She looked at the ground sadly, swirling a claw in the dirt and drawing Asoryll in it. Asoryll, she thought, sighing. It was her fault that Vyrmgard was like this. When she heard it put that way, she felt it was all her fault for not performing her duty well enough. She huffed and stood up, wandering a bit aways from the group. She sat down nearby but not close enough to hear anyone's conversations as she closed her eyes and looked up at the sky that was forever dark.

Dharsii watched cautiously as the sunstone dragon approached the group and stated that she wanted to join them. Realizing she was no threat he let his bristling scales settle but still kept a sharp lookout on the other dragons. Who knows when they might decide to turn on him.

He saw the black and winter dragons talking a little way off from the rest of the group but did not pay them much mind. He stalked a little way off from the rest of the group in the opposite direction as the black and winter dragons and groomed at his scales for a few moments before curling up and watching the other dragons carefully. His bright orange eyes shifting steadily from one to the next.

Phayne snorted at her question and stood up. He headed over towards the river to fill up his waterskin's for the journey. "Why does she have to ask so many questions?" he wondered to himself. He did not like to talk about his parents to other for the sole reason that, he did not know who they were and therefore had nothing to say about them.

Tyra scowled as Phayne rudely snorted at her question and hurried over to the river. Fine, don't make conversation. I've been alone enough that I'm used to not having anyone to talk to anyway..., she thought spitefully, rising to her feet. She silently walked down the river far away from the black dragon and sighed as she looked down at her blurry reflection in the swiftly running water. Frowning, she slashed at the water with her claws, dispersing her reflection.

Asoryll nodded to Peri.

"Indeed we are. We'll be following the river. It may not provide as much cover as the forest, but we will see and hear anyone coming before it leads to a confrontation. As long as we stick together, everything will be fine. Now...We should get moving soon. If everyone has had a rest, we should get going. Tyra, how is that leg of yours? Can you walk alright, or do you need a moment?"

At Azoryll's question, Tyra turned and examined her haunches. The slashes had begun to heal and scab over. "I'll be alright," she replied, turning back to face the ancient Red dragon. She trotted over to him and sat down, looking around at the others. "...we should get going, shouldn't we? We can't waste time," she asked Asoryll.

Asoryll nodded.

"Now that we're all acquainted, let's get moving."

He pulled a makeshift map from his bag with various points marked out all throughout Vyrmgard.

"We'll be heading north, first," he said, trailing a claw up the piece of thick parchment. He followed the direction of the river all the way up to the northeastern lake from which it stemmed.

"Before we come to the mouth of Lake Shattersky, we'll break away from the river and travel across the tundra. The snow will be thick, and there are many abandoned villages scattered across the area. We will need to be the most wary when we come to the outskirts of the Northern Throne."

He tapped a small blue mark at the base of Mount Ascension.

"That is where we begin."

Dharsii lifted his head when the Red dragon brought fourth the map from his bag. He watched curiously for few minutes without moving before he rose to his feet and moved over to where the Red and Winter dragons were looking over the map. He kept a fair distance away from them but craned his long neck so that he could see the map better. He recognized the areas that the Red, Zarbeses was it he called himself?, was speaking about. Those within the petrified forest at least. He didn't know what came over him but he felt as though some part of him that hadn't been in his life before was now fulfilled. He really wanted to join these dragons. Something about them struck a nerve within him that made him feel as if he was meant to be here. As if he belonged.

"If I may offer my oppinion, I have lived in the petrified forest all my life. I know the way through these forests and could lead us through them without us having to follow the river." He approached cautiously "You see, if we follow the river that takes more time to reach the lake in the north, if it is this lake Skyshatter you speak of in the Northeastern Kingdom. I have seen it, at a distance but I never forget my way through the forests." He drug his claw across the map from where the Red had started but instead of following the river to the lake, he cut across the area of the petrified forest between the two areas. "It's dangerous to follow the river. The dragons here hunt along the river and they know how to use the terrain. It would also be quicker to cut through the forest. But you are the leader and I am in your debt for sparing my life." He bowed his head in respect for the older dragon. "The choice is yours."

Tyra lifted her head as Dharsii, the Gray, ventured up to the group, suggesting he be their guide. She smiled slightly, glad he wanted to help and moved aside a little so he could show them what he was talking about. She watched Dharsii's claw as it traced a new route through the forest. Lifting her gaze to the Gray. "We will have to worry about water supply if we travel your route, but you're correct in that it's faster," she replied, flicking her tail, "Then once we get to the winter tundra, I can guide everyone from there." She looked at Zarveses as she explained then smiled shyly at Dharsii.

Edited by Tyra-Ice

Zarbeses smiled as the Grey spoke.

"Good idea. I'm glad you thought of it. As for water, we dragons can last a while without it. If we were to go my route, it would take us longer to get where we need to go, and then we would be without water for the remainder of the journey until we reached the caves. However, going his route, we will not only save on time, but we will reach Lake Shattersky in a matter of days. The only thing is, we could fly along the river. We will need to remain on the ground when moving through the trees, and that poses its own problems, what with brambles and Stone dragons."

He looked at Dharsii.

"Are you confident that you can lead us quickly through the forest until we reach the tundra?"

((Someone post >_>))

Peri listened quietly as plans were discussed. Things were going smoothly, but she felt a little disappointed that she couldn’t contribute to this part of the quest. “The first ancient tablet”, Tyra had said. The Tablets of Balance, then? She had heard the tales about them, but she had doubted that they were real. Well, if they could bring the sun back, then she’d help the group collect them however she can. What had the fight earlier been about, anyway? Something to do with Tyra’s injuries, maybe? Tyra certainly was an interesting dragon, and she seemed the most approachable compared to the rest of the group. Peri made a mental note to ask her about the tablets later, and maybe talk about other things too.

Dharsii looked at Tyra and dipped his head respectfully. "Thank you for offering to guide once there. I've never been out on the tundra so I would not make much of a guide out there." He smiled back at her before returning his attention to the Red dragon.

"You do speak the truth. Though I don't think any but the largest and sharpest brambles could get through our scales there are stone dragons in these forests and though their activity seems to have decreased around here lately they will still be a threat. But I know my home and I know how to deal with Stone dragons. I will not guarentee that we won't hit obstacles but I can promise you I know my way through here to the edge of the tundra. And as for flying along the river, that would only make us a more obvious target. The dragons who live in this part of the forest tend to hunt along the river." The Gray looked over the map as he spoke, trying to find what could be a more efficient way than the one he had previously stated.

He pointed to a spot midway along the path he had show them earlier, "There is a large bramble feild about here. I know that at least one Stone dragon lives around there. It might be safer for us to try to go around it rather than through it but that will add to our travel time. We could also fly over it and halve the time and risk of brambles but if a Stone is there we are likely to be seen."

Asoryll nodded as he listened.

"Aye, you have a point...I say we walk around it. We don't want to stand out any more than a mismatched pack of dragons can, especially in the forest. We don't want any of the darker inhabitants taking notice."

He scratched at his chest thoughtfully.

"It wasn't our scales I was worried about, though. With the brambles. I was more concerned with our feet. Nothing stings more than an unexpected thorn between your toes. Nonetheless, this is the safest route. We'll just need to watch our step carefully, just as if we were hunting. The less noise, the better."

He turned to the rest of the group, rolling up the map and stowing it away.

"Alright, let's get moving! Dharsii will be leading, and I will take up the rear. As we are traveling, keep an eye on each other. I don't want anyone wandering off on their own and getting lost or worse."

He looked over at the Black sulking by himself.

"That means you, mister Phayne," Asoryll chuckled.

Nodding, Tyra quickly rose to her feet and stretched out her wings before tucking back close to her sides. Turning her head, she noticed the sunstone for the first time. Peri, was it? she thought. She smiled and bowed her head slightly in a gentle gesture or greeting towards the sunstone. Tyra was already beginning to feel at home among the others; it was nice to have someone to be around who didn't treat you like dirt.

The Winter dragoness then got in line behind Dharsii. Even though he had attacked her, the desperation in his eyes had stirred pity in her and she felt no hard feelings against the Gray. She tried to stiffle a giggle at Arosyll's reprimand towards Phayne, the grumpy black.

Edited by Tyra-Ice

Peri noticed Tyra nodding towards her, and smiled back. She’d have to be quiet in the forest, so she guessed asking about the tablets would have to come later. It seemed that Tyra really was nice, though. Peri looked around again, and noticed that Sumara was quite far from the rest of the group. “Uh, wait. Sumara’s all the way over there! She must not have heard us. I’ll go tell her.” Peri headed towards the Royal Blue.

Peri stopped a bit before reaching Sumara. “Hey, Sumara. We’re heading out now. Dhi...uh...the Grey dragon suggested that we could cut through the forest, and Zarbeses agreed. We all have to be really quiet, though, and…” Peri hesitated, looking down at Sumara quietly sitting in the grass. “Is something wrong?”

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

Beryl, known as Sumara because she had a feeling that Zarbeses wasn't who he said he was, opened her eyes as she heard a dragon approaching. She blinked and looked down from her stargazing to look at the approaching dragon... it was the Sunstone. The only names she had caught here were Tyra's and Zarbeses'. She turned to look at the Sunstone and when she heard the plan, she sighed. "Right," she muttered, looking down at the ground as she thought.

This 'Zarbeses' seemed too much like a natural leader... who was he? She would have to ask his age. Maybe he was a royal before she became a guard there. Or maybe... no. That couldn't be right. She shrugged and only then realized that the Sunstone had asked if something was wrong and she shook her head. "Nothing, I'm just trying to figure out who Zarbeses really is," she half told the truth. She was reflecting on how she had let Asoryll die. The words of the Black Dragon resonated in her when he said about how Vyrmgard was the way it was because Asoryll died. She shook herself and looked at the Sunstone. "Sorry, we should get going," she said softly.

Peri blinked. “Yeah, we should. Come on.” Peri took a few steps back towards the group and looked back at Beryl, waiting for her to follow. She continued to talk as they walked. “What do you mean, about ‘who Zarbeses really is’? I guess he is pretty mysterious. Well, you’ve probably been in his group longer than I have! Do you think he’s…hiding something, or something?” Peri tilted her head to one side, curious. Zarbeses was quite odd, now that she thought about it. “He must have a reason for it if it’s really true though, don’t you think? And he’s a good guy. We’re all helping him save the world right now, aren’t we? I don’t really think it matters if he’s hiding something as long as he’s doing the right thing.” Peri gave Beryl a smile.

Beryl listened to the Sunstone. She said nothing throughout the Sunstone's ramblings but she thought about it. True, it didn't matter so long as he was working for the greater good but she couldn't shake the feeling... she couldn't tell him that. She shrugged. "Well, it's just that, I do think he's hiding something and because of that, I don't want to trust him fully. I'm willing to work with Zarbeses for the right thing but something is nagging me. I was... once a royal guard for the royal family of the Red Dragons. His name is not familiar yet he is a Red Dragon... I would know his name if that was his real name," she murmured, walking slowly along side the Sunstone.

Phayne snorted at Zarbeses remark and glared at Tyra as she tried to hide her laugh however he soon took his position in the line. Phayne was not a very big fan of the petrified wood's and did not like the sense of uncertainty it brought with it. You could never know exactly what was out there lurking in the shadow's of the petrified tree's.

Phayne stared at Peri and Sumara, a look of annoyance etched on his face. "Silence!, Do the two of you want to alert the whole forest of our presence? I for one would rather not come face to face with a stone dragon!"

"Sumara! Phayne! Peri! Come on!"

Asoryll waited for everyone to start following Dharsii, his tail swishing from side to side and his hind toes curling subconsciously. He was eager to get moving. The sooner that they found the Tablets, the sooner they could put things right in Vyrmgard.

Tyra choked down her laughter and attempted to keep a straight face as the line of dragons began moving. "Oh stop being so sour, Phayne. We're not even in the woods yet," she scolded him lightly. However, she herself turned to look at the forest and shuddered. She hoped Dharsii knew what he was doing.

Glancing behind her, she noticed that Sumara, the royal blue, looked depressed. Tyra wondered what was bothering her.

Edited by Tyra-Ice