Chiaki

Dress Size

That picture MedievalMystic posted reminds me of those depressing pictures of starving children in Africa that the administrators occasionally drag us into the auditorium to make us watch.

I'm naturally skinny. I'm not sure whether or not I fit into a 2 or a 4 pair of pants (4's generally are too baggy, but I guess it depends on the brand and style), and to be honest, as long as I have pants that fit, I don't care. I'm 5'8" and my BMI is in the upper 17s, which puts me on the slightly underweight side. Were it not for the lack of, ehm, stuff in the chest area that America seems to find so attractive now, I could probably be a swimsuit model. But as I've said before: I don't care, as long as I weigh enough to be able to donate blood.

People who are so skinny that they look like walking skeletons, while they may be beautiful, simply look unhealthy, and so whatever beauty they have is overshadowed by concerns for how much they eat (or, rather, don't eat).

I feel the same way about obese people. A few years ago we once hired a girl who was 400+ pounds to petsit for us overnight while we went to visit relatives (who owned two doberman pinschers). She was deaf in one ear and could barely squeeze through our front door. She'd grown up in a harsh family setting and that led her to stress eating, and so she ate and ate and ate and ate. We found out she died a month or two ago from a heart attack. She wasn't even 30. It makes me sad. Apart from her weight, she was pretty.

I don't care if you are fat or thin personally, but this "women that can't/don't gain weight aren't real women" thing kinda messes with me, that makes no sense!

I, will NEVER be a model... i don't even like the idea. but i'm female, 5 foot tall, have stayed an even between 94 and 97 pounds for a year now... I have never reached 100 pounds in my life. I can fit into size two pants but the legs don't fit me.. i'm short and have wide hips.. And i don't do much exercise unless you count freaking out when i lose a battlefield 3 game..yep, i'm a gamer.

And as to the above.. totally with you on the lack of a 'chest'.. not completely but definitely not up to man standards as far as 'attractive' goes..

It's not about food mostly, it's about genetics and how you eat to improve your metabolizm and if you do nothing but sit all day.. . I don't honestly care if you are fat or thin, i don't really have a size... I used to go after skinny..short.. guys and now i'm with a guy who weighs exactly twice as much as i do and is a foot taller then me..

Models obviously stretch the truth just a bit to much.. I think that you shouldn't care about body image until you are well over 280 pounds of fat weight and do nothing with your life.

No offence to the people who do that... please do not be offended by that but i say this with strong truth.. that some peole need to get up and do something..

Now i say again that there do happen to be some medical issues that can prohibit the ability to exercise regularly or eat certain foods and that's about the only exception that i can think of, the only excuse to be that big..

sorry for the rant..

Edited by IcarusTheDragon

I think that you shouldn't care about body image until you are well over 280 pounds of fat weight and do nothing with your life.

I don't think anyone should care about body image. We're a highly evolved species that is well aware of how important personality is and how beauty fades, so how people can still care about appearance just boggles me. We should be better than that by now, and the amount of time and energy wasted on beauty is pathetic. I bet we could have cured every disease in the world if we devoted as much time to science as we did to beauty.

I think people should only care when their weight affects their health, and if they don't care, then oh well. It's their life. Most people have some sort of hobby, obsession, or lifestyle that is life threatening or unhealthy, so I don't really know why people care so much about obesity. I think it is because they just don't like looking at it so they cover their asses by saying "Oh but it's unhealthy!". So is excessive alcohol consumption, and that's practically encouraged since you are considered a weirdo if you don't get completely wasted twice a week.

I think as long as you take care of yourself and eat then you're fine. Everyone is beautiful. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside. I'm a size 0-2 (depending on the brand). I can't help it. I eat more than some of the heavier kids at my school. I haven't gained a pound in 2 years. I fluctuate 1 to 2 pounds throughout the year. I'm also 5'7.

I used to be ashamed of my weight because of a basketball incident with a judgemental coach. He cut me from the team because I "wasn't the right basketball size" which to him was big and heavy-set. I am doing just fine with running Track. I am one of our best hurdlers (out of the 4 we have) because of my slim figure.

It doesn't matter your weight, height, looks, or dress size. What matters is on the inside and where your heart and moralities lie. That's the only thing. Everyone is beautiful. Even Hitler had a good side to him.

When I was 12, I weighed exactly 200 lbs. Again, at age 12. Both my mother's and my father's sides if the family have overweight issues. I was doomed from the moment I was conceived.

Most of the posts I've read on here are from those who can't gain weight. I'm on the other spectrum. I had been put on antidepressants when I was 15. I gained 70lbs in 8 months. I was taken off those and stayed the same weight for sveral years, not gaining but not losing, even with weight watchers and daily excersise. A few years later I was put back on antidepressants and, guess what, another 60lbs.

I've now been off all meds for over 2 years and again, stopped gaining but unable to lose any of it either.

So, because of my doctors choices, and my family history, I don't deserve to be a real person? I don't deserve to walk into a store and not be laughed at?

I dress well, wear make-up, care for myself and yet all people notice is this fat woman walking in, not the fact that I'm a human being.

I accept who I am. If you can't find me beautiful, then frankly, you aren't worth my time nor my energy.

Since when did the size of a woman define whether she was 'real' or not? So if I was under or over the 'accepted' weight, I'm not a woman? Then what am I?

http://www.whatsontianjin.com/news-5554-st...s-just-4st.html

I feel sorry for this woman. :/

Look how pretty she used to be when she was young and healthy!

All because people continued on belittling her for being 'fat'.

The saddest part is that she can't go back to having a normal/healthy weight, because her body rejects certain food types that would allow her to gain weight.

Edited by earthgirl

All those bullying people need to change their perceptions of what being fat is. ( found the pic on google )

This is fat.

user posted image

Now is there any similarity? Because I can't see one.

user posted image

Edited by Blear

From a personal point of view, I find women that curve more aesthetically pleasing.

That said this *is* a point of view about personal attraction. I don't care for very skinny people in the same way that I don't particularly care for blondes. It doesn't mean that it's *bad* (unless the person is unhealthy), just that I don't personally find it attractive.

The saddest part is that she can't go back to having a normal/healthy weight, because her body rejects certain food types that would allow her to gain weight.

I can't even... How does she walk with those legs? Poor woman.

I don't really understand the pressure to be thin - in my class we have a girl that is modeling, and nobody likes how she looks. Nobody.

And, I also find that a big number of people doesn't know the difference between strong build and "fat".

I think it's more about what suits one person, what's healthy. Since there are a lot of people who can't gain or loose weight numbers don't say much. Even the BMI is not fail-safe. It just gives an orientation so you know: I gained 6 pounds, now getting close to the overweight part, I should watch out.

I have seen very big women still looking beautiful, I have seen thin, fragile women, looking beautiful, too. But none of them really looked like that on purpose. And it helps a lot if you dress in a way that suits you. Not everyone can wear belly-tops. One dress can look beautiful on a fragile woman and look like a sausage in it's casing on a normal built woman. Clothes have to fit who cares about the numbers on the label?

I myself are more on the bold part of womanhood. Built like an hourglass, envying athletic women. My cheekbones kinda stick out and when I loose weight of course it gets worse and everyone just goes: Oh God! Have you been sick? Your face looks so thin!

So I just try not to gain extra weight and if someone tries to tease me about my little belly I just say: It's for bad times like being sick over a week when you can't eat much.

BMI is pretty much a joke. It takes no account of frame size, so someone with broad shoulders and wide hip bones would be 'expected' to weight as much as someone with narrow hips and small shoulders (although, incidently, the British Military *does* have a chart for adjusting for frame size - wish the GP did!). It also takes no account of muscle vs fat - I used to work with a chap that was body building. Not an ounce of fat on him. He was told that, according to his BMI, he was morbidly obese. Crazy.

I'll note here that I had an interesting encounter w/regards BMI. At the point in time I was aiming at the military (pre-aspergers diagnosis) I weighed 10 1/2 stone. The military doctor took one look at me, went 'large frame', and adjusted her expectations of my BMI. Some 6 months later I had to see a locum GP for a blood pressure check... and she decided that (at about the same weight) I was over-weight and needed to loose a stone. In order to do that I'd have had to loose a load of muscle mass, and would probably have had to make myself dangerously thin (for my build) at the same time.

I've found some bmi charts that take skeletal frame into account and they seemed a lot more accurate. When I use those my bmi is usually right in the middle of average. That seems a lot more likely than being borderline underweight. I really don't feel anywhere near underweight.

I used to be very thin whilst growing up however things happened to me and i began to get depressed and comfort ate a lot during secondary school. After that my weight has gone up now i'm sized 16-18 depending on the top size as i have a big chest. My partner of four years loves me for me, yes im trying to loose weight but i'm stuck in a rut. My boyfriend doesn't care how i look as long as i'm healthy and love him back. It doesn't matter what size you are as long as your healthy and enjoying life.

I think people should only care when their weight affects their health, and if they don't care, then oh well. It's their life. Most people have some sort of hobby, obsession, or lifestyle that is life threatening or unhealthy, so I don't really know why people care so much about obesity. I think it is because they just don't like looking at it so they cover their asses by saying "Oh but it's unhealthy!". So is excessive alcohol consumption, and that's practically encouraged since you are considered a weirdo if you don't get completely wasted twice a week.

Pretty much what I was trying to say, just much more eloquently.

And yeah, people belittling anyone about being too fat or too skinny, whether they actually are or not, is disgusting,

Edit: lmao what is spelling

Edited by Zovesta

I don't think anyone should care about body image. We're a highly evolved species that is well aware of how important personality is and how beauty fades, so how people can still care about appearance just boggles me. We should be better than that by now, and the amount of time and energy wasted on beauty is pathetic. I bet we could have cured every disease in the world if we devoted as much time to science as we did to beauty.

prepare for a bunch of run off information...

BEAUTY?

I see where you are going with this, but beauty isn't the issue as far as i'm concerned, it's health.

When i say "do nothing with your life" it means that the person just doesn't care for themselves, they don't care enough to try to be healthy.

I don't judge on IF you are fat, i judge on why...

I do believe people should care about body image.. but i think the way i put it, and the way you put it mean something different...

You make a point however, as that Humans are a highly evolved species.. so mentally here is a point:

Beauty does fade. But what IS beauty? Honestly, what is it? i don't know... everyone has scars, there are no perfect people.

And how about physically? one of the main reasons people get fat is because the human species is not used to the amount of sugars and certain chemicals that are in foods these days! We have progressed in making 'food' MORE AND MORE sugary and fattening, some companies like McDonalds for example, use a certain form of sugar that isn't sweet, but the body CRAVES it because it was needed when humans were in the early stages of development.

McDonalds buns are FILLED with sugars.

another main reason is because people are just lazy. Take the elevator, drive your car, sit all day, choose a job where you don't have to do anything physical and go home, sit down and order pizza

I could even go into the argument of how many restaurants out there are actually fast food and care not about health... but that isn't what this thread is about... sorry for getting off track.

And as far as beauty goes... Think of this.. I agree with you. Why waste SO MUCH TIME on 'beauty' when people hundreds of years ago had no beauty or care...

I have intensely researched the reasoning for certain traits in either gender of why people are attracted to each other.. if you cut out pheromones this is what traits men are looking for in a woman, subliminally embedded in their brains...

A narrow chin, wide shoulders and hips, high cheek bones and a large chest..

The reason men look for these things is because they all are forms of good strong genes and a lot of estrogen..

When they put limits as to what a healthy weight may be, then people get confused... they want to fit.

Anorexia, bulimia, but why? there are SO many people out there that are considered "overweight" by STANDARDS. In schools they have charts that tell you what your weight should be, what you should eat, what is healthy, what is unhealthy, How poor you may have done on a certain state test for gym..

Whose to say the person can do less work because they are built differently?

I am not exactly sure what i have gone with all of this except for the fact that Body image shouldn't be cared about(as to how you put it)

and when i say that someone is well over 280 pounds, the human body DOES NOT adapt to putting that much fat weight on the bones. When you sit all day, nothing happens. When you don't care, nothing happens.

When you get off your lazy butt and make a nice salad when you are hungry rather then going to mcdonalds and getting a half liter of soda and a cheeseburger, then i would stop worrying and be happy that you chose to make the right decision.

And come on, salad isn't that bad!

My weight is like a yo-yo... my heaviest I was 217... my lowest I was 175.... I have been up and down constanttly. My ideal weight for me , is 150.

I'm a UK size 12... Well, okay- Size 14 sometimes. I'm just an odd shape, short with big hips and thighs that take a 14, an upper body that takes a 12 apart from the bust, and long arms that are nearly always showing my wrists... It's a pain finding clothes that fit and flatter, it really is.

(Weight-wise, I'm above 9 stone? With a height of around 5 foot 2 and the muscles of a baby, that means I'm a pudgy little fat-fat. Half of me hates it and weeps inside every time I eat a chocolate, but the other half doesn't care.)

Edited by Ruins

I'm pretty sure I'm a size 8, but I'm one of those people who is such an average size in everything that I rarely bother looking at size to begin with. I just try on whatever I feel like.

I don't think size matters much, and I agree with the people that say that being healthy is the most important thing.

Exercise definitely isn't fun, but it does make you feel a great deal better about yourself, regardless of what size you are.

I don't even know what size I am since in here they don't use size things for bodies, but I'm pretty thin I guess, i weight 45kg and am only 159cm tall ._. some of u might think that I'm skinny because I want to be but nah, I've tried to gain weight but it's really hard for me no idea why, I like pizza, hamburgers, snacks and candy a lot but of course I do eat normal food also.. No idea why I just can't get weight up :/ seems about as hard as to some people to lose weight.

Edited by Hisa

I don't wear dresses due to my gender, but I think that 'real women' are women regardless of what they look like, feel like, or what they say/how they speak. Just because you don't have a skinny waist, big butt and a full bosom doesn't mean your any less of a woman.

Whilst this culture places a huge pressure on woman to be thin and this is often a contributing factor (more or less), eating disorders stem from childhood abuse, sexual abuse, traumatic experiences, other mental health disorders, can even be genetic, and so on.

Fat people are not fat because they're "lazy". What a stupid thing to say. You have no idea why they're fat. Maybe they have an eating disorder. Maybe they have hormonal problems. Maybe they are happy with how they are.

Maybe they like salads. Maybe they like McDonalds.

thankyoubye

smile.gif As a woman i proudly say that i am a size 10 in dress and pants. and i gain and lose wait like women change moods.

~Scrollspam removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I am usually between 4/small - 6/medium depending on the brand of clothing. Some things, like coats, though...if 6 fits me, I'd buy a size up so they can feel comfortable layered (since I'm always cold!)

I'm normally size 10(Australian) or small. Sometimes I'm 8. My bras are 12. Haha.

Anyway,

is an interesting video about this issue in Japan. smile.gif