Completely Different

Bright-Breasted Wyvern Bio

Jumping on the band-wagon. I've actually had some of this information on the wiki for a while, although I've added to this quite extensively. Mostly this is a chance for me to ramble.

oOoOoOoOo

Diet: They are omnivorous, eating primarily fruits, leaves, and lichen, which they are experts at identifying, as well as insects. They are not often seen hunting for prey, since their small size and limited strength makes it difficult for them. Although they could take down prey using their poisonous barbs, they prefer to save the toxins for when they are in danger, as it is time consuming to produce. Instead they are scavengers, preferring to get meat from creatures already deceased. Because of their primarily herbivorous nature, they have gathered a vast array of knowledge about plants, which they use for medicinal purpose. Wild members of this breed are unlikely to share this information with strangers, although tame BBWs have amassed a lot of knowledge which they are not afraid of sharing.

Habitat: In nature they’re usually found in lush, tropical rainforests. They live primarily in the canopy and understory where they make their nests and can find the majority of the fruits and leaves. Occasionally they venture down to the forest foods, usually when they need specific plants which grow there, or smell something they can scavenge. They rarely go alone, preferring to have at least on companion to watch their back.

Being a fairly hardy breed, they can also survive fairly well in more temperate forests or even near the coasts, though without trees they feel very exposed.

Personality: Bright-Breasted Wyverns are a very human-like breed; however, they would argue that it’s the other way around. They can have a very wide range of personality traits, differing greatly from each individual. However, they are characterized by two things- their arrogance and intelligence. These dragons are very clever, and use strategy to help them survive in the wild. Their small feet and dexterous tails can often be used like hands for delicate procedures. This, along with their bright, flamboyant colours, makes them very vain and prideful. In battle, Bright-Breasted Wyverns are usually defeated when they become too cocky, allowing their opponents to take them by surprise.

Bright-Breasted wyversn are highly judgmental when it comes to appearance, although its limited to their own kind. Their bright colours, especially the red on their chest, is considered indicative of health, endurance and strength. Occasionally individuals have attempted to improve their looks by using the juices of various fruits to brighten their colours temporarily; if any members are discovered using these "cosmetics", they are treated very harshly.

Great amounts of time are spent preening; however, this isn’t purely due to vanity, but also exists as a great way of bonding. Friends, close family members and (potential) mates can often be seen sharing in this activity. Even in times of famine or stress, flocks put aside time for preening. There is no strict mating procedure followed universally by the breed; individuals like to express their personality, and they can do everything from giving food or small gifts (such as pretty stones) to their potential mates, as well as dancing, telling stories, or going for long flights together. To avoid inbreeding, flocks often come together in the spring and summer; usually the male and female will choose to go with their mate’s clan (there is no preference for the male or female’s flock), although sometimes they will part ways, leaving the female to raise the offspring on their own. This is not as horrible as it sounds, as the mother will have plenty of support from the rest of her flock.

Fighting Style: These wyverns rely primarily on their speed and agility to get through battles. Their small size means they’re not very effective in traditional combat; they like to dizzy and confuse their attackers, or to disappear into the canopy and get backup. If forced to strike, they will usually try to tear the wing membrane of their attacks, or attack the tender eyes or neck. They keep their poison as a last resort; if something pins them on the back, they kick with their legs, digging the barbs into the flesh. Even a small dose acts immediately, causing paralysis, which alone can be deadly in aerial battles. Larger doses can be enough to kill dragons up to two times larger than themselves, although BBWs usually prefer to fly to safety than fully kill their attacker. It would take about four hours for a small dosage to wear off on a man, although disorientation, exhaustion and pain would probably last much longer. The venom attacks the nervous system, so the same mechanism which causes the paralysis and death also causes intense pain. Even if you survive, it would not be a pleasant experience.

In addition to attracting mates, their bright colours act as warnings of their poisonous nature. They are highly talkative during battles, sending telepathic messages from the attacker asking them to stop; usually, though, this comes off as cocky boasts that only succeed in goading their opponent. If they do kill something after being attacked, these dragons don’t usually consider it as murder, feeling that they’ve given enough fair warning. As a rule, they don’t particularly like confrontation, but they will not give up territory or lives easily.

It takes approximately three weeks for their poison supply to completely replenish. Endocrine glands in the barbs manufacture many unique chemicals there, although the venom is a mix of a variety of chemicals, many of which are hormones and neurotransmitters found in many species, including humans (e.g. dopamine and acetyl-choline).

Besides telepathy, these dragons have no magic, and they're secretly a little bit jealous of those who do. Some of them are eagerly open about this, expressing the desire similarly to how humans discuss having super-powers, although in older, wild flocks this can sometimes be expressed as discrimination against breeds which do.

Wild vs. Tame: Although in the wild Bright-Breasted Wyverns usually remain in flock of their own kin, those raised in captivity have no inhibitions, and will happily spend time with both humans and other dragon species. Wild flocks are highly protective of their young, and the entire group takes on parental duties; they will all do their part in rearing the eggs and hatchlings. This nurturing instinct often carries into domesticated individuals as well, who are willing to even help dragons of completely different breeds.

Yay! I started grabbing some CB speckled days cause I realized I want a group for a potential lineage. Thanks this is fabulous! One of my favorite breeds!

They are highly talkative during battles, sending telepathic messages from the attacker asking them to stop; usually, though, this comes off as cocky boasts that only succeed in goading their opponent.

"I do wish you would cease in your imbecilic attempts at maiming such a magnificent creature as myself."

Haha! <3

Yay! More breed bios! Theses are really giving me some ideas for descriptions. I still have to rename my BBW after my last hiatus, so this will help!

Great!

One of the most beautiful of all dragons, this bio is very fitting of such a creature.

Ruby here's an idea you can make a sub-forum for Dragon Bios and put them all in one place. I like how the artists create them for dragons. :3

Ruby here's an idea you can make a sub-forum for Dragon Bios and put them all in one place. I like how the artists create them for dragons. :3

That would be great, I would never think to look for dragon bios here. In fact I almost never come into the forum. The only reason I found this post at all was because it was still up in SD.

I'm not sure if we'd have enough information for a full sub-forum, but I agree an official thread or some sort of place might be nice. Dr. Paine mentioned that Cort had done this for the Nilia pygmies, but I can't even find the thread to read.

(I kind of think that an unlock-able in-cave encyclopedia might be cool, but that would be more official and need more info and polishing).

I'm not sure if we'd have enough information for a full sub-forum, but I agree an official thread or some sort of place might be nice. Dr. Paine mentioned that Cort had done this for the Nilia pygmies, but I can't even find the thread to read.

(I kind of think that an unlock-able in-cave encyclopedia might be cool, but that would be more official and need more info and polishing).

Yes, a sub-forum (if enough information is eventually posted,) or unlock-able encyclopedia would be great!

Also:

Most dragons and others that have met her would be quick to describe Gwynyth as a snob. She, on the other hand, doesnt think thats a fair evaluation: its not her fault others are jealous. Gwynyth will admit that shes shrewd to a fault, but believes that to be preferable to ignorance. She also believes that unless someone is willing to work for her they are hardly worth her time. In this spirit Gwynyth has found the Bright-Breasted Wyvern by the name of Auger to be an excellent mate both for his intelligence and hard work invested in impressing her.

Auger is the intelligent, if not somewhat exasperated, mate of Gwynyth. He loves her, he really does, but the amount of work he finds himself doing to impress her could try any dragons patience! Still, it is hard to find a mate worthy of on such as himself, and Auger feels Gwynyth to be one of the few dragons he would not be wasting his attentions on.

Though still possessing a touch of arrogance that Bright-Breasted Wyverns are known for, Olver is much less narcissistic than either of his parents. He is in fact kind and considerate of those around him, only ever really getting haughty in physical conflicts with others. His parents seem to think him ignorant for his gentler behavior, but Olver pays little mind to their opinion.

Just waiting for description approvals on my BBW family. This information helped so much!