Moonbeam22

Archery

1.Do you shoot archery?

Yup, it's really fun.

2.Do you own a bow? A crossbow?

I own a 30lb recurve and a compound bow

3.Do you hunt?

nope, no interest. I shoot recreationally

4.Have you been in archery competitions?

Yeah, but i never win. They're pretty awkward too because I shoot left handed when most people shoot right handed (my left eye is dominant)

I enjoy shooting, but I don't own a good bow. I've competed, once. A scored 5 arrow target. My first four shots netted me a 35/40. My last shot, the string nicked the edge of my glasses and sent the arrow into the 3 ring. If my last shot had been where the others had been, I would have placed. I've never been bow hunting.

1. I used to shoot

2. A homemade longbow

3. No as in my country being a hunter is not only about going into wilderness and shoot an animal, it is more about working in forest to help animals maintain a natural order, and i dont have spare time to do that

4. Nothing seriouse but once at schools

I shoot, every day day if it's nice. I own a recurve bow that I can better aim with, and I also have a hunting bow with some broad-heads attached to a few of my arrows. Can't even operate with the sight well. Don't hunt, unless something is trying to get the chickens in my backyard. Tried to be in a competition, but the rules stated no fiberglass(stuff that covers the wood on bow limbs). So no competition.

Oo, I love archery! Ive only done it at my summer camp, but ive been going there for 10 years and I think ive gotten pretty good, I would love to own my own bow, but I live in a suburb, so it doesn't really do well to get an arrow through someones window if I miss. smile.gif

1.Do you shoot archery?

3.Do you hunt?

Here are my answers!:

1.Yes, I shoot archery.

2.I own a 20lb 54" recurve that I love very much.

3.No, I don't hunt. The draw weight on my bow isn't strong enough to take much down.

4.No, but I hope to!

:)

Now I want to hear your answers!!! You can also post archery tips, info, or just chat about it. Just please no drama or spamming!

A) Yes I do shoot.

B) Only a compound bow(I have a couple, 20-60LB ones), I like feel of it compared to a more modern one.

C) No, I don't because I don't like slaughtering animals for sport.

D) Yes, I have been in a few local ones and I've won a few as well.

Edited by FenTheFox

I love the concept, but have no idea what bows would even be good for me. I hear the term 'recurve', what are your guys' opinions on bows/strength/ect?

Edited by Ashes The Second

I love the concept, but have no idea what bows would even be good for me. I hear the term 'recurve', what are your guys' opinions on bows/strength/ect?

A recurve bow basically is a bow with the ends pointing away from the holder. It allows for a stronger shot essentially. (This is the type I use, fyi).

Edited by FenTheFox

I would love to learn archery and get into it as a hobby xd.png I don't think there's a lot of places to have anything to do with archery where I live, so it'll be tough if I ever start learning.

The only times I've played archery were in school camp. Fun times, I remember feeling so awesome after hitting the balloon that had been mounted squarely over the bullseye. <:

Oh yeah, and also with one of those plastic cheapo sucker-tip archery sets someone is always bound to get your relative for Christmas. o3o

I've heard archery has enjoyed a recent surge in uptake and interest because of y'know, movies like The Hunger Games and The Avengers.

I've always been really interested in archery. I used to have one of those toy bows with arrows that stuck to stuff, and I was rather good with it. ^^

I want to get an actual bow to try it out. What bow would be good for just starting/beginning to learn archery?

I've always been really interested in archery. I used to have one of those toy bows with arrows that stuck to stuff, and I was rather good with it. ^^

I want to get an actual bow to try it out. What bow would be good for just starting/beginning to learn archery?

Well, you probably want to use a recurve bow at about a 20 to 25 pound draw weight. The one I have I got from the Bass Pro Shops is perfect for youth and beginners. However, that specific make is sold out completely in the whole chain due to what Varekis said about the movies. They have other recurves too, and I suggest buying from them.

1.Do you shoot archery?

3.Do you hunt?

My answers:

1. I used to shoot regularly, but only very sporadically now.

2. I used to own a 30-pound recurve, just a cheap Wal-Mart special. Unfortunately, it got broken a couple moves ago and I decided not to replace, as I was already not shooting a quarter as much as I used to.

3. No.

4. Yes, but not the sort I believe you're thinking about. I'm a member of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) which is a historical re-creation type group covering the entire Middle Ages. Think Renaissance Faires only on a huge scale and everyone at the events is in period clothing. That's where and when I was fairly heavily into archery.

Anyway, I participated in the Royal Rounds (not so much competition, as "personal best" shooting, with your average scores over time determining your rank as an archer) and also shot for the East Kingdom for the Archery War Point at Pennsic XXVII. This website gives a decent overview of SCA archery if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, between parenthood and tighter finances, I don't get to many SCA events these days, and the ones I do get to, don't usually have archery. If I'm lucky, I might get to shoot once a year with borrowed equipment nowadays.

Oh, and a note to the lady archers out there... do not, I repeat, do not try shooting while in "wench" type garb, if you're the sort who likes to dress up for the Ren Faire. Bodices and what they emphasize have a habit of getting in the way of the bowstring without a careful adjustment of one's grip and stance. It's a painful lesson to learn. blink.gif

One of my patients last night mimed using a bow and arrow - managed to guess first time that what he wanted was a Strongbow!

1. No, I don't. I don't know how to, but I want to try someday.

2. My sister owns a bow, but I (obviously) don't.

3. I probably wouldn't even if I could.

4. No.

Ooh, my friend is really good at archery! I kinda want to learn, but something tells me I won't be very good at it... ;P seems cool though

Yes.

Yes, just got a 28 pound Longbow today <3

Nope.

Aaaaand nope.

I would love to be able to shoot, but alas I cannot. My parents would never allow weapons... Maybe someday I will take a lesson and find out if I have any hidden talents.

I love watching archery competitions. xd.png I wouldn't compete or hunt though, it would just be recreational.

Edited by Dimar

My brother has this epic bow, I shoot it a lot but I'm terrible...my cousin also just got a wood longbow. IT. IS. BOSS.

My brother is/was very good at archery until he stopped doing it.

Me? I can barely be bothered to go outside, let alone pick up a bow and arrow. tongue.gif

Edited by cfmtfm

I'm begging my mum to put me in archery lessons. First time I tried it, I found out that I was surprisingly good....

Now, all i'd like is my own bow and some lessons^^

1.Do you shoot archery?

3.Do you hunt?

Here are my answers!:

1.Yes, I shoot archery.

2.I own a 20lb 54" recurve that I love very much.

3.No, I don't hunt. The draw weight on my bow isn't strong enough to take much down.

4.No, but I hope to!

smile.gif

Now I want to hear your answers!!! You can also post archery tips, info, or just chat about it. Just please no drama or spamming!

1.Do you shoot archery?

Yep smile.gif

Yes, but a recurve bow.

3.Do you hunt?

No. I would prefer more effective weapons for hunting.

No.