Completely Different

Scroll Skin Suggestions/Ideas

We have one for forum skins, so here's a place to suggest themes that you might like to see in the cave, in addition to the main theme, the Portal 2 theme, and the St. Patrick's Day theme.

Be creative!

If not, I want a Valentines Day theme. I've never been a fan of pink, but I bet the dragons would look awesome on a pink background! Except for Pink Dragons, because you probably wouldn't be able to see them. :3

And, of course, a Valentines Day theme in the spirit of Valentines Day itself would be cool.

I think a theme for all of the holidays DC celebrates would be cool. And for each season? I know that's quite a few, but they're just ideas. ^^

So, I'm thinking;

-Valentine's

-Easter

-Hallowe'en

-Christmas

-Spring

-Winter

-Autumn/Fall

-Summer

I'd like a blue one, maybe in the style of the St. Pats one, or maybe a sea/ocean based one would be pretty. Another medieval type choice would be nice too. Similar to the default but different maybe.

At the VERY least, a year long selection based on various official holidays would be nice. Or at least a rainbow spectrum to add to the green.

I'd like to propose a 'skin' particular to your own scroll and viewable only on your dragon's page, but viewable by all users (ie. any user coming to your scroll sees your dragons laid out on the particular colour/type scroll skin you've chosen) and the skins would be scale/hide (plus the default parchment). And you'd be able to unlock various skins and scale colours by killing dragons which correspond with that scale colour, that is to say, if you want to change your scroll background to green scales, kill a pebble dragon to unlock the greenscale scrollskin.

Seems a bit macabre/morbid I know, but it both brings the kill function into the gameplay more, and also brings a new perspective on the kill function. I feel this would create a more immersive environment overall.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Is there a Valentines Day theme made already, just like the winter skin it only appears around February?

If not, I want a Valentines Day theme. I've never been a fan of pink, but I bet the dragons would look awesome on a pink background! Except for Pink Dragons, because you probably wouldn't be able to see them. :3

And, of course, a Valentines Day theme in the spirit of Valentines Day itself would be cool. xd.png

Edited by TLOSpyrogirl

I think a theme for all of the holidays DC celebrates would be cool. And for each season? I know that's quite a few, but they're just ideas. ^^

So, I'm thinking;

-Valentine's

-Easter

-Hallowe'en

-Christmas

-Spring

-Winter

-Autumn/Fall

-Summer

Yes, I did check for topic duplicates..only found one on Christmas skins, and forum skins.

I'd really like more choices for site skins. The green St. Pat's one is nice, but the Portal one is too way out there for me.

I'd like a blue one, maybe in the style of the St. Pats one, or maybe a sea/ocean based one would be pretty. Another medieval type choice would be nice too. Similar to the default but different maybe.

At the VERY least, a year long selection based on various official holidays would be nice. Or at least a rainbow spectrum to add to the green.

Just a suggestion.

Edited by Riverwillows

Just an idea inspired by the arrival of our new skins, we got to talking about how the skins aren't very consistant with the time period, and someone mentioned that we should have skin or hide 'skins' to be more relevant. Someone else mentioned dragon scale skins, and the logical part of my brain went "but you'd have to skin a dragon to get it, wouldn't you?" Which led me to my suggestion:

I'd like to propose a 'skin' particular to your own scroll and viewable only on your dragon's page, but viewable by all users (ie. any user coming to your scroll sees your dragons laid out on the particular colour/type scroll skin you've chosen) and the skins would be scale/hide (plus the default parchment). And you'd be able to unlock various skins and scale colours by killing dragons which correspond with that scale colour, that is to say, if you want to change your scroll background to green scales, kill a pebble dragon to unlock the greenscale scrollskin.

Seems a bit macabre/morbid I know, but it both brings the kill function into the gameplay more, and also brings a new perspective on the kill function. I feel this would create a more immersive environment overall.

Or, alternatively, this suggestion could just be about creating more timeperiod-appropriate skins?

(Which is not to say the new skins aren't lovely, they are! quite nice, I like them, and am happy to get them, this suggestion just got sparked off their arrival ^^)

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

You take your blade and stab [dragon name], watching the life slowly leave its eyes as it stares at you, wondering why you betrayed it. Then you skin it and use its hide to decorate your walls.

Me gusta this idea.

Considering I was in that IRC chat, I still think it's a little weird. I thought you guys were just joking. xd.png

I'm not sure if TJ really wants to promote killing dragons, though...

In all honesty, I rather there be fewer skin choices. They do take up space on the server, however minor, and the fewer the better.

~Merged and updated first post~

A scale-like skin is an interesting and fitting idea. I lol'd at the text and idea of skinning your dragons. Could give some very interesting skins. I don't like that it breaks the idea of viewing your skin choice, though.

Just an idea inspired by the arrival of our new skins, we got to talking about how the skins aren't very consistant with the time period, and someone mentioned that we should have skin or hide 'skins' to be more relevant. Someone else mentioned dragon scale skins, and the logical part of my brain went "but you'd have to skin a dragon to get it, wouldn't you?" Which led me to my suggestion:

Or, alternatively, this suggestion could just be about creating more timeperiod-appropriate skins?

(Which is not to say the new skins aren't lovely, they are! quite nice, I like them, and am happy to get them, this suggestion just got sparked off their arrival ^^)

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

And kill 5 dragons and the others clue in and kill you (burn the scroll). I'm against this 100%.

However if it was using the scales they may shed as they grow up. Maybe if you catch a hatchling shortly before it grows a stage you can 'catch' it growing up. Some reptiles shed there skin as they grow up maybe that could be applied to this?

But one I do not like the idea od encouraging people to kill there dragons i highly doubt that if these beings existed in our world in this setting I doubt they would eliminate the threat to them (you the killer) plus they would know as soon as you line your cave with it or line your scroll with it. Unless there utter retards. Which I highly doubt.

I want a spacey background with a flat white "scroll... essentially default skin with white "parchment" and space on the sides.

as for dragonhide... interesting idea. I can see some people having fun with that. Not something I would be interested in. It does add to the "gotta catch them all"-ness of the game.. i suppose.

And kill 5 dragons and the others clue in and kill you (burn the scroll). I'm against this 100%.

However if it was using the scales they may shed as they grow up. Maybe if you catch a hatchling shortly before it grows a stage you can 'catch' it growing up. Some reptiles shed there skin as they grow up maybe that could be applied to this?

But one I do not like the idea od encouraging people to kill there dragons i highly doubt that if these beings existed in our world in this setting I doubt they would eliminate the threat to them (you the killer) plus they would know as soon as you line your cave with it or line your scroll with it. Unless there utter retards. Which I highly doubt.

Yes, I see what you're saying, and I slightly suggested the same, but your answer was a little mean, don't you think? o_o

You take your blade and stab [dragon name], watching the life slowly leave its eyes as it stares at you, wondering why you betrayed it. Then you skin it and use its hide to decorate your walls.

Me gusta this idea.

snrkhahahaa xd.png and you put it so delicately!

@ Tehpikachu - well I was joking, but then I actually thought about it and went 'omg that'd ACTUALLY be cool o.o' and it can't hurt to post, aye? x3 I don't know that TJ has ever overtly been AGAINST the idea of killing your dragons. I mean we have EQ, KILL, and BITE, 3 actions which all promote killing, which is not to mention zombies and NDS (no, really, don't mention them >.>) but in my opinion, death is as much a part of DC as is life (hatching/growing/breeding) smile.gif thanks for weighing in!

@ Dolphinsong - understandable, and always something to take into consideration. I don't know how much it would take up or how it would affect performance, personally, so I'd say only the site admin would be in a position to make a decision based on this consideration. Thanks for posting!

@SockPuppet Strangler - Thanks xd.png I totally didn't even look for a possible thread that might coincide with my suggestion. Glad you're interested, and I can see the viewable-to-all or personal-skin-viewing would be a factor to look at. Personally I'd like to toggle between seeing other people's skins and keeping it all in my own skin, but then again, going back to dolpinsong's point, more options=more server power xd.png So I suppose the trick would be finding a balancing act?

@little lost dragon - actually your scroll cannot be burned for killing too many dragons anymore, that's why the 5 kill cap was put in place - to prevent accidental burnings. Though it does bring up an interesting point - if we're speaking immersively, when do your dragons up and decide they're sick of your nonsense and turn on you, would that be a viable option to program in a dragon response to overkill? Perhaps certain numbers of kills would cause your dragons to become unfaithful or rebellious and run off to the wild? Though NDs have a description which would make them the sort to want to run off to the wild, yet I have heard of no NDs making off people's scrolls post grow-up xd.png

The scale-collecting idea isn't bad, perhaps having a certain number of a breed, you could collect enough scales from them to line your cave/make a scroll? An interesting idea! ^^ Thank you for your opinion!

@ Thuban - I can't help it xd.png I'm a compulsive collector, but it would be one of those thing you could ignore and not use at all, if you wanted. smile.gif

If it came across as mean.... sorry. I'm just against killing of the dragons on peoples scroll.

If it came across as mean.... sorry. I'm just against killing of the dragons on peoples scroll.

no worries, I was expecting opposition to this idea from the get-go because a lot of users are strongly against killing, but I was hoping from that might also arise differing ideas, such as your scale-collecting idea (and it's ok, I don't think it was mean, I'm pretty thick-skinned so feel free to speak your mind as you will ^^)

Ok, for the scale collecting, now that I think about it every time a hatchling grows a stage they could leave a scale behind. a new option could be added, I dunnu what it would be called..... "Scale collecting" for lack of a better name. Once checked it could have a little line saying "You speak to a few of your adult dragon(s) and explain to them to collect the scales they had shed" or something. In a little seprate window if you click on say a little pile of scales (maybe located beside all the other stuff like the troupheys and holiday events) once there it could either

show a image of your scroll and you can click and drag the scales you collected and arrange them as you want on your scroll.

Or

Once you've collected 30-40 of them you can 'coat' your scroll in the color of that set of scales. Then when you go back to your scroll it would instead of looking like parchment it would have a back ground of that color of scale.

Or

Both could used and you get 30-40 scales for the main scale back ground and you can use the other scales to maybe make a shape or decorate your scrolls back ground.

This is all thought up just now.

Edited by little lost dragon

Me gusta this idea.

Thats a bit crule, but makes sence. of corse once you have it you can change from other skins too and still keep that one avalable. I wouldn't mind killing a few messy lineages, or doubble it up on halloween.

Scales are not pliable and would not make a good "scroll" surface [and would be too small in most cases to even write on]. However, attached to the hide it would work.

And I have a snake. Shed skin =/= hide. It is very very dry and brittle, half the time the snake can't even get it off in one piece because it breaks.

I'm opposed to the idea of killing for another 'feature' to appear. True, we have Neglecteds, but it's still a very 'do it yourself' type of thing, and to quest to get the scales would be time-consuming.

Scales are not pliable and would not make a good "scroll" surface [and would be too small in most cases to even write on]. However, attached to the hide it would work.

And I have a snake. Shed skin =/= hide. It is very very dry and brittle, half the time the snake can't even get it off in one piece because it breaks.

True, true, but we don't know how dragon type scales would be like once they are shed. For dragons there are many story's that have a dragon scale or something and it never seems to break (somehow.... ) maybe that could be applied here?

Its just a lot better then killing for it.....

True, true, but we don't know how dragon type scales would be like once they are shed. For dragons there are many story's that have a dragon scale or something and it never seems to break (somehow.... ) maybe that could be applied here?

Its just a lot better then killing for it.....

Scales are not shed skin. When you say shedding a scale what I think is it falls out and a new one grows in. As far as I know current reptiles don't do this, my snake doesn't, but that doesn't mean that dragons don't. Shedding skin means the top layer sloughs off, leaving a "skin" that is thin, dry, and brittle, a lot like tissue paper in some respects.

I may have gotten the 2 confused. Maybe it could be the scales that the dragons shed or lose. I'm sure some scales fall out as they grow up. Or they would be covered in baby scales. Unless the scales grow with the dragon but we dunnu that part.......... at least not yet.

At least with my snake the scales have grown with the snake, since they are a lot bigger than they used to be and the only thing shed is the skin.

I think a cool skin would be a scroll hanging from a cave wall (With scroll handles and two hooks on the top handle to hold the scroll up), with torches on the sides (Maybe one on the left, then lower down on the right, etc.). It would be pretty neat.