sammyjean

Python Ban

I am also against people owning species we do not have here like pirahna's, as people let those go as well.

Welp, say goodbye to parrots, some species of rodents, many species of reptiles, tarantulas, cats (since they're descended from felines not native to North America and feral populations are harming native bird populations), and the entire tropical freshwater fish hobby.

The key is responsible ownership and educating people who buy these animals, not banning.

PS: Touch my cat I will end you.

Welp, say goodbye to parrots, some species of rodents, many species of reptiles, tarantulas, cats (since they're descended from felines not native to North America and feral populations are harming native bird populations), and the entire tropical freshwater fish hobby.

The key is responsible ownership and educating people who buy these animals, not banning.

PS: Touch my cat I will end you.

I am not talkiing about parrots or other species that can hurt us.

I love my cat, just enough to keep it animal. I can not stand it when people act as if their pet were their own children. It's an animal people! They don't have the same emotions as humans. So stop acting like your pet is a human.

Humans are animals too, so stop acting like humans have emotions. There clearly just silly herd animals rolleyes.gif

Edited by maylin

Large pythons would fail to be invasive in pretty much all of the United States. They need high temperatures otherwise they will die. Even a short frost is enough to kill most of these snakes. They're really only a threat to southern Florida.

Edited by kitsune93

What is the purpose of this thread now? It has a misleading topic title for a post that was originally about a python ban.

I am all for banning the species of the big snakes like giant boa constrictors. look at what is happening in Florida. All those big snakes that are in the everglades and they are killing alligators and preying on people and their pets. You do have the irresponsible people who can not deal with them anymore and let them go. If they start breeding with other boa's, you will have an even more aggressive snake. I also think ordinary people should not be able to have posionous snakes that the USA does not have like Cobra's. Mamba's etc etc.

I am also against people owning species we do not have here like pirahna's, as people let those go as well.

Below is one such story.

Description:Beneath the surface of a small Staten Island pond, a predator was poised to pounce. Crabbe and his sister Kaitlin came face to face with it while fishing with their grandpa last week. A fisherman of 50 years, Grandpa Crabbe knew right away and told his granddaughter, "No honey, its not a sunfish! Don't go near it!" Native only to South America, what the Crabbe family thought they caught was a pirahna, also known as a wolf of the water.

http://www.aol.com/video/kids-catch-piranh...26pLid%3D205399

I have had snakes in my house like a Rainbow Boa, a beautiful snake at that.

I understand that my pets are animals, but I to love mine like they were my children. There is nothing wrong with that.

Animals give people whose children have left the nest, old people, sick people and many others a reason to go on living. Animals are a wonderful destressor for humans.

Oh god I didn't see this post forever ago.

See guys, this is the whole problem with people who want to ban big snakes. Literally all of them are doing it out of complete ignorance and are spreading facts everywhere that are blatantly untrue.

The ONLY places in the US that have any reason whatsoever to ban large snakes as an invasive issue are like one or two counties in florida, and hawaii. (and all snakes are already illegal in hawaii so..)

The ONLY places in the US that have any reason whatsoever to ban large snakes as an invasive issue are like one or two counties in florida, and hawaii. (and all snakes are already illegal in hawaii so..)

Well, no. Invasiveness isn't the only problem. Escaped snakes anywhere can be VERY dangerous.

One example.

There have been others. And those pythons are still for sale in some pet stores in NS.

Which has led to other incidents.

Even in the UK.

There are pets and there are pets. And those which escape - and there are QUITE a few - can dramatically alter local ecosystems. Just as minks have in the UK, and raccoons in Germany.

Well, no. Invasiveness isn't the only problem. Escaped snakes anywhere can be VERY dangerous.

One example.

There have been others. And those pythons are still for sale in some pet stores in NS.

Which has led to other incidents.

Even in the UK.

There are pets and there are pets. And those which escape - and there are QUITE a few - can dramatically alter local ecosystems. Just as minks have in the UK, and raccoons in Germany.

Escaped pythons are not dangerous. There has never once been a case of an escaped snake harming someone other than the owner or other people in the house.

All the cases of other people in the house being harmed are basically always from extreme negligence on the owners part. Dogs and horses and whatever else are hundreds of times riskier.

Also no, there are barely any reptile species that have much of a potential for invasion that aren't already established. (aside from florida, but one states issues shouldn't become a national ban for no reason) I actually cannot think of a single species offhand that is commonly kept that poses any kind of invasion risk that isnt already banned, or isn't a US native species.

Even most of the exotic mammals that are banned don't actually pose an invasive risk in most of the places they're banned.

Edited by grimace

Escaped pythons are not dangerous. There has never once been a case of an escaped snake harming someone other than the owner or other people in the house.

All the cases of other people in the house being harmed are basically always from extreme negligence on the owners part. Dogs and horses and whatever else are hundreds of times riskier.

Also no, there are barely any reptile species that have much of a potential for invasion that aren't already established. (aside from florida, but one states issues shouldn't become a national ban for no reason) I actually cannot think of a single species offhand that is commonly kept that poses any kind of invasion risk that isnt already banned, or isn't a US native species.

Even most of the exotic mammals that are banned don't actually pose an invasive risk in most of the places they're banned.

A python killed those two boys. The fact that they were in the same building doesn't make me feel any better about that.

A python killed those two boys. The fact that they were in the same building doesn't make me feel any better about that.

Dogs have killed hundreds of people.

Cows have killed more people than pet pythons.

No one calls them dangerous though.

No one is demanding to ban dogs or cows.

Dogs have killed hundreds of people.

Cows have killed more people than pet pythons.

No one calls them dangerous though.

No one is demanding to ban dogs or cows.

I shall get hit for this - but I support the ban on having pets that are dogs bred as fighters, for this exact reason.

I have no stats on cows, but I suspect you would have to get into their fields before they went for you. I would not think they were a suitable pet for the average home. Not enough space for a start.

traumatic warning here

Another nasty incident

LOADS more.

Sure we need responsible ownership - but dogs BRED for fighting and dogs whose natural instincts are to kill - as is the case with some breeds - should NOT be family pets, and should not be walked in public places where any child might be present. There is a slew of research showing that, increasingly, many men (it almost always is) get themselves such dogs as status symbols, and don't care when they attack people; they take the view that the people shouldn't have "got in their way"..

That was still due to extreme negligence on the owners part.

That and the deaths made no sense from what was reported and i still suspect it wasnt the snake but-

Its riskier to have a child in a house statistically with any breed of dog than a snake. That, and it is very easy to avoid. A freak accident doesn't mean BAN IT, otherwise basically every normal everyday object would be illegal by now.

I shall get hit for this - but I support the ban on having pets that are dogs bred as fighters, for this exact reason.

I have no stats on cows, but I suspect you would have to get into their fields before they went for you. I would not think they were a suitable pet for the average home. Not enough space for a start.

traumatic warning here

Another nasty incident

LOADS more.

Sure we need responsible ownership - but dogs BRED for fighting and dogs whose natural instincts are to kill - as is the case with some breeds - should NOT be family pets, and should not be walked in public places where any child might be present. There is a slew of research showing that, increasingly, many men (it almost always is) get themselves such dogs as status symbols, and don't care when they attack people; they take the view that the people shouldn't have "got in their way"..

Dogs that were bred for fighting aren't the only ones that attack people.

Dogs that were bred for fighting can sometimes become the sweetest dogs ever.

I have known some pits that were rescued from fighting rings and they were very sweet dogs.

A few individuals that were victims of neglect and abuse don't represent the breed or species as a whole.

traumatic warning here

Another nasty incident

LOADS more.

Goodbye beagles, basset hounds, rottweilers, pitbulls, cocker spaniels, golden retrievers, jack russell terriers, rat terriers, springer spaniels, airdale terriers, english setters, labrador retrievers... While we're at it, why don't we ban barn cats, too? After all, they were bred to hunt vermin.

What is the purpose of this thread now? It has a misleading topic title for a post that was originally about a python ban.

Thanks for pointing that out! I've edited the topic title to be more accurate, and am going to go ahead and leave the thread open as it has garnered new discussion.

I also removed some extraneous/off-topic posts. Please be sure to read the first post of a thread before posting, guys!