sammyjean

Python Ban

Well the government would like to take pythons away from you.

Yes, the government is planning on creating a "Python Ban", this being they will have the rights to take away snakes, of all kind, from breeeders/shops/and OWNERS.

"Oh durka duurrrr I hate snakes, who cares, I have a dog and a cat, they wont take that away. "

Well my friend, lets say this ban follows through, who's going to say the government wont want to take away any of our other special friends as well? Yes, your dogs, and cats, and geckos, birds, horses, hamsters, you name it, could be under the governments power to be TAKEN AWAY..

Petition is now expired, so has been removed, sorry.

Dont let the government gain this kind of power, it is unjust and unfair.

--->Video regarding Ban!

~~~

I just thought Id spread the word on this. It effects everyone and I think dragon lovers are reptile lovers as well. Please understand. Please help.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Well, this is downward silly. :/

I am not keen on snakes myself, but I've nothing against people who love them. There are a lot of snake/lizard lovers on this site.

Signing.

Well, that's a bit ridiculous. I know a lot of the posionous/more deadly snakes can be dangerous to have as pets, I usually its the owners' fault for not caring for them, or abandoning them when they become too difficult to handle. And there are plenty of perfectly non-lethal lizards and snakes out there.

I have a fat tortoiseshell cat and a black labradane, I love them to death!

And I love snakes and wish I had one!

Edited by Fluttershy16

I think the reason they want to ban pythons is because of people releasing them. Many snakes can thrive in places like Florida where they have destroyed portions of the ecosystem such as the everglades down there.

Here's some information on non-native snake populations in Florida

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...ivespecies.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...ant-snakes.html

I understand legislation to try and stop this... however, I do think it's a bit extreme. Released snakes do not thrive in most of the states, it gets too cold in the winter and non-native snakes do not have the adaption skills to survive.

I don't think it's fair to punish an entirety of people because of the actions of a few.

Perhaps the answer is for reptile owners to obtain a license much like a dog or cat must be licensed in each city. That way people can keep their animals and any release could be traced down.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Wut.

Wut.

Wut.

Aww heeeeeellll, no. No one's taking my snake away from me. She's my baby.

/mama bear mode

I don't think it's fair to punish an entirety of people because of the actions of a few.

Perhaps the answer is for reptile owners to obtain a license much like a dog or cat must be licensed in each city. That way people can keep their animals and any release could be traced down.

Definitely a license. ESPECIALLY If you are going to own a breed of snake that grows very very big. But all us other snake owners that own smaller snakes don't deserve this at all.

Never really been into snakes. Larger snakes scare me, and even smaller snakes make me uncomfortable. That being said, I have no problem with people owning snakes and knowing how to take care of them. I have a few friends who own huge snakes and they love them. People should have the right to own these creatures providing they have the means to do so, and can own them responsibly.

Also, to answer the question in the title, I love my pets. My cats especially. They're my babies. <3

Sorry, Im against snakes being pets, snakes are wild animals and deserve better than to spend their lives inside an aquarium.

Pythons are already banned here. I think it's a ginormous stretch to say that because they will be banned that means all pets might be banned at some point, or even all snakes. That hasn't happened here at all, we don't even have BSL.

But I do disagree with them being banned.

Also I really wish americans would clarify WHICH government they are talking about instead of just saying, "the government". We don't all live in the US.

Edited by Syaoransbear

Sorry, Im against snakes being pets, snakes are wild animals and deserve better than to spend their lives inside an aquarium.

You know, a LOT of other animals are kept as pets, them being what you would call "wild" animals.. Mine doesn't spend its whole entire life inside of a teeny tiny aquarium as you would like to imagine. I believe if you treat your snake correctly and it is active and alive, I see nothing wrong with it. What would they want in the wild, its not like Im taking a social animal away from its pack, they are solitary creatures.

You know, I probably treat my snake better than 40% of people who treat their dogs. I hear dogs barking and barking constantly and never see the outsides of their own backyards.

My snake deserves better than defense against predators, hours of exercise every day and decent meals once a week? If I were a snake, I'd think that's a pretty sweet deal.

But, I did some research, and apparently, the bill is just banning imports of Burmese pythons. People who already have them are free to breed them, we just can't get them from foreign countries. Or so I've heard.

You know, a LOT of other animals are kept as pets, them being what you would call "wild" animals.. Mine doesn't spend its whole entire life inside of a teeny tiny aquarium as you would like to imagine. I believe if you treat your snake correctly and it is active and alive, I see nothing wrong with it. What would they want in the wild, its not like Im taking a social animal away from its pack, they are solitary creatures.

You know, I probably treat my snake better than 40% of people who treat their dogs. I hear dogs barking and barking constantly and never see the outsides of their own backyards.

I am against holding any wild animals as pets too, python is a predator, covers a whole bunch of miles and is a king of its teritory, free to roam wherever, to eat whatever and to breed when it feels like it, people hug it and feed it mice and somehow feel like its a worthy substitute for stripping it of all its instincts, of what it is to be a snake, you think its a great life for a wild snake, I think its the selfishness of people to assume a wild animal like a snake could care less about humans giving it love....

Its called a wild animal so by definition it is not meant to live in your room, my 2 cents.

Edit -

My snake deserves better than defense against predators, hours of exercise every day and decent meals once a week? If I were a snake, I'd think that's a pretty sweet deal.

But, I did some research, and apparently, the bill is just banning imports of Burmese pythons. People who already have them are free to breed them, we just can't get them from foreign countries. Or so I've heard.

Well, You are not a snake, but why dont you think of it this way, you as well have predators, would you rather I stick you inside a cage, protect you from predators and feed you decent meals or would you rather be free to be all you can be, think about that, its a sweet deal... not

Edited by The Evil Doer

Well, You are not a snake, but why dont you think of it this way, you as well have predators, would you rather I stick you inside a cage, protect you from predators and feed you decent meals or would you rather be free to be all you can be, think about that, its a sweet deal... not

Your post is a little confusing, what side are you on?

You aren't a snake either, how would you know how a snake truly felt. We can only view this from a human perspective, not a snake.

If you were a snake with a human mind, your post would be valid.

But snakes, and all animals, just want to survive and reproduce.

They aren't here for the beautiful scenery, and to watch the sunset.

If we can house them, give them food, exercise, outdoor time, enough room to explore in the tank, decent meals, and (sometimes) breeding satisfaction, then they would feel fulfilled, atleast that is what I think.

~~~

Im sorry if I gave out the wrong information about the bill, thanks to whomever cleared it up.

The fact that we have a more developed brain doesnt change the fact that we just like animals have instincts and needs, humans also want to reproduce and survive, place one inside a cage and it will stay alive but it wont be happy (thats what we do with criminals btw) animals arent any different....

If you really think that wild animals prefer life in captivity over living in their natural habitat with others of their kind, well theres nothing much I can say about that, your opinion, Im gone.

Fingers crossed with the law

Seeing as my herps are captive bred I doubt they're missing the wild that much. Also reptiles for the most part aren't terribly social.

Also, aren't there people who choose to go to jail to avoid being killed by other people they've made angry? I don't think it's the same thing, but just saying.

Edited by JOTB

My ball python is captive bred, and so were his parents, and his parents' parents, etc. He's not headshy (wild snakes have that instinct) and is incredibly friendly even though I've only had him two days (wild ball pythons are shy scardey things). I'd say that's pretty domestic.

Anyways, I've known about the python ban for a while and already signed the petition. Good on you guys for noticing it too :3

place one inside a cage and it will stay alive but it wont be happy (thats what we do with criminals btw) animals arent any different....

I would like to see your resources on this.

I KNOW a human wouldn't be happy inside a small tank, especially if it knew of the outside world. What if the human never knew? What if all you ever knew was inside of a tank? You wouldn't mind at all if you got all the necessary things needed to survive and be happy. What if the snake never knew about the outside world? Most snakes don't know.

Criminals actually get free food, a gym, and other people to be social with. Prisons, I've heard from people that have been to prison, said it wasn't that bad, and I've also heard they wouldn't mind going back in again..

AGAIN, you are only arguing based upon human perspective.

Snakes also prefer small tanks to large ones. They don't like a lot of space, it stresses them out. More space = more oppurtunities to be eaten in their mind. I had the same thought process and ended up getting a 55gal for my baby ball python. As an adult he'd only need a 30gal. I ended up having to literally clutter the tank with as much stuff possible so he wouldn't be weirded out by how much space he had.

Snakes aren't people, or cats, or dogs. They don't think like that.

My ball python is captive bred, and so were his parents, and his parents' parents, etc. He's not headshy (wild snakes have that instinct) and is incredibly friendly even though I've only had him two days (wild ball pythons are shy scardey things). I'd say that's pretty domestic.

Anyways, I've known about the python ban for a while and already signed the petition. Good on you guys for noticing it too :3

This. The first day I got my ball python, she let me touch her head. She seems like she doesn't have the instinct her wild counterparts do, save for when she's eating.

If the bill only affects imports on burmeses, I'm not sure I oppose it. It may lower the wild burmese population in Florida, and it would encourage captive breeding of the pythons instead of catching them in the wild.

Prison is a cool place to be in, havent heard that one before xd.png

Here you go, Research feel free to look up any other research on the subject of captivity Vs natural habitat when it comes to wild animals, they will all state the obvious - freedom is better than captivity user posted image

Edited by The Evil Doer

The only problem is that bears are totally different from reptiles in terms of needing exercise, mental stimulation, and space. *goes to read through*

Edited by JOTB

Agreed, bears are vastly different due to an incredibly different lifestyle. They're not nearly as suited to captivity as something like a snake.

satyr76, the burmese population in Florida is mostly due to a breeding facility being destroyed due to one of the hurricanes, not people releasing their pets. I thought the same until I did a little digging. More or less that means that regardless of the pet population, if people move their snakes out of the buildings before the hurricane hits, it'll reduce the python population.

That and the alligators seem to be enjoying their new snacks.

Oh, I forgot about the breeding facility. xd.png I remember hearing a bit about it. Although, once a breed has become established in captivity, stress should be put on captive breeding.

Comparing mammal psychology to herp psychology is like comparing the peanuts and clouds. They're two completely different things.

/bad analogy

Edited by satyr76