Engiype

Magic The Gathering

My first year of college, I started hanging out with two guys, one who was just learning Magic from another housemate, and one who knew Magic from years ago but hadn't played in a while. The housemate teacher stopped playing after she got a bf, but I continued playing with the two guys - it reached a point where we were playing Magic pretty much every night for hours! biggrin.gif

I prefer blue decks - most of my decks are at least half blue, although I have a couple red, and a fun zombie deck, and some others... Including a white Commander deck with her as the Commander:

user posted image

My favorite planeswalker is Jace... I own three versions of him and hope someday to own the last one, which is extremely expensive ($200+) but in my opinion, will be worth it when I have the money... See how powerful he is in this version? (not that his other versions aren't also powerful, lol)

user posted image

Also, Magic is how I met my bf... I offered to teach another friend to play and this guy I didn't know very well overheard and asked to learn and now, exactly a year later, we've been dating for about eight months. biggrin.gif

I don't play as often as I used to, but one of my bf's housemates is an avid player and we sometimes play with him when we have time. smile.gif Two-way is fun as well, but my decks were all originally built to beat the two guys I mentioned earlier, and one-on-one battles with decks meant to take out two players at once tend to be decided quickly.

One thing that's really cool is my bf's housemate (who has thousands upon thousands of cards) built what is called a Cube - it's a set of cards with some of each color, artifacts, special lands, etc. You make 15-card booster packs using random cards from the Cube, and they'll always be different and you can have a great time playing games where each player builds a deck from cards chosen from the booster packs before the game begins. It sort of evens out the playing field a bit. You can read more about Booster Drafting here.

Could somebody explain Flying creatures to me in entirety? If I'm correct, only creatures with reach can block flying ones, right? And flying creatures can block non flying, but can die from it. Right? My green starter deck only has one huge spider with reach. And although I have crazy heals from my grazing gladeheart, I'm screwed once my brother starts racking up his griffins and exiling my deer.

Flying can block flying.

Flying can block ordinary non-flying creatures.

Flying can block Reach creatures.

Reach can block flying.

Reach can block ordinary non-flying creatures.

Ordinary creatures can block Reach creatures.

If a creature is blocking, it takes damage, unless other noted :3

That aside, I would suggest that if he's exiling with enchantment (I'm guessing your brother is using Pacifism or Oblivion Ring), and you have a green deck, throw in some Naturalize, as a counter.

Naturalize is a common, nice removal for a green deck c:

I play a Cat Tribal and my Boyfriend plays a few different decks.

I'd like to play a werewolf or Dragon deck sometime.

I collect werewolf cards and a few other cards with nice artwork.

Eternal Dragon is one of my current favorite cards.

Edited by Corgi-osis

Remember when Pokemon was popular? Is it kind of like that, as far as card games/collectibles?

I was just wondering....

Remember when Pokemon was popular? Is it kind of like that, as far as card games/collectibles?

I was just wondering....

Right on, I live for mtg. I play a lot of magic at my LGS, and have been into it for over a year now.

@Rachel, it's decently similar to the Pokemon TCG, probably more-so than Yu-Gi-Oh. It's definitely the biggest one out there right now.

Edited by stromzone

I have dabbled a bit online but never went all out.

My gaming group that I meet with once per month I may try to get into it by buying the pre-made dueling deck packs or something.

Typically, when I build decks, I use a theme to base them around, where each card benefits from the others in the deck to all work toward a similar strategy, whether it be milling the opponent's library, gaining life, getting out powerful creatures/planeswalkers, or playing off of the graveyard. It helps to have decks to counter other popular choices, such as a mill to counter control, or a control to counter agro, and so on. To keep it interesting, you absolutely need more than 1 deck.

I play a Cat Tribal and my Boyfriend plays a few different decks.

I'd like to play a werewolf or Dragon deck sometime.

I collect werewolf cards and a few other cards with nice artwork.

Eternal Dragon is one of my current favorite cards.

My favorite deck is my dragon deck, but it only works because I have 4 of these:

user posted image