TJ09

2011-01-18 - Blackout

What exactly makes them think they have the right to cripple sites?! I thought America was all about freedom of speech, human rights and whatnot :/

Nice, TJ! I don't believe in censorship! I tend to get heated in situations like this. I find bill's like this come into existence when there are a bunch of people that have a lack of understanding and fear what they do not know rather than take the time and educating themselves.

"Wait, I forgot that would mean taking accountability for your own life...that means I'd have to put some effort into it..oops! unsure.gif Ah, it's easier for someone to tell me what to do that way I can have someone else to blame instead of looking in the mirror." blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

Fear is a dangerous thing!

Thanks again TJ, IMHO, I suggest leaving the Blackout link up for more than today give people a chance to research?

Edited by Crows have dreams

Rightious man.

I don't know about anyone else, but this will be my new avatar for 72 hours

user posted image

Ty for this.

Am using it for all of my accounts including FB ; )

I'm quoting here from the info page posted on Wikipedia, which is also participating in the blackout:

What can users outside of the U.S. do to support this effort?

Users outside of the U.S. can contact their local State Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or similar branch of government. Tell them that you oppose the draft US SOPA and PIPA legislation, and all similar legislation. SOPA and PIPA will have a global effect - websites outside of the U.S. would be impacted by legislation that hurts the free and open web. And, other jurisdictions are grappling with similar issues, and may choose paths similar to SOPA and PIPA.

I don't have time to read this entire thread - but I have signed many petitions which accept non-US citizens - HERE is one anyone can sign up to, on a site I belong to because it fights things like this.

And very well done TJ.

(But PS - just seen someone asking to keep this skin - although it looks stylish, I cannot actually SEE my dragons (as I can't with the portal skin) and have had to turn off page style to get at one I knew needed ERing - so please keep the old default as an option !)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I am not into Politics for this reason I hope things turn out right

And I love the new look pity we can't keep it best wishes to you TJ carry on fighting the good fight you do a sterling job we all appreciate you and this site..

Go Get em TJuser posted image

I dunno, I have mixed feelings about this...I just think this is a very slippy slope to start down.

Plus I have been on the unpopular view of many things, and I think this is a gut punch to anybody who supports this bill.

Sure it is. And that's good. No-one should support it. These BILLS are the beginning of a VERY slippery slope towards total control.

First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,

and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Niemoller.

I am from Europe but I have scrolled down and petitioned. I hope it helps at least a little bit sad.gif

Wow, I came online to see my zombies and came online to one spooky site indeed.

I support this action. US laws don't stay in US (Pirate Bay anyone?) so I hope SOPA/PIPA doesn't come true.

(Btw, in my language sopa=to sweep, scavenge, something you call a rubbish person and pipa=to squeak)

*applauds*

These bills are outright horrible, and I'm glad you took a stand against them.

I'm glad to see this, actually.

And, I actually like the new skin a lot. Will it be around for longer, or is it just temporary?

Its only shelved; we're not out of the waters yet.

Exactly. It's not completely off the table yet. Until it is, we are not quite out of the water.

The link from the scroll won't let me sign because it won't recognise my post code. T-T

Even though I am not American I support and applaud your decision to take this stance, TJ. If these bills were go go through, they would not just affect Americans, thus it is something of importance for all.

However, I too must say please do not keep the skin as the default one. I can't read anything on it and whilst I admit it is spiffy, for me it's impossible to use. If you are considering keeping it, please let us keep the original one as an alternative.

However, I too must say please do not keep the skin as the default one. I can't read anything on it and whilst I admit it is spiffy, for me it's impossible to use. If you are considering keeping it, please let us keep the original one as an alternative.

TJ says in his first post that this is for today only, as part of the internet wide protest. smile.gif

TJ, I think you did it right to show your opposition through the site. Afterall this question is something that goes beyond politics, it's about human rights and I don't think that here there is someone that approves SOPA/PIPA; this skin represents everyone of us! Even if this is just "a little site of stupid pixel gaming" (like someone could say), it's giving a strong signal. Well done! biggrin.gif