TJ09

2011-01-18 - Blackout

I would like to add my voice to those opposing SOPA and PIPA. The internet should never be policed by the government of any country. There are already systems in place to take care of any problems and we don't need watchdogs. Anything that takes away from our ability to publicize our own creative work is wrong. Free speech is always necessary.

I've been told that SOPA is shelved, but there is a good chance it will be re-opened in February. We need to make the message clear to our Congress people. SOPA and PIPA must be stopped permanently.

yay!

I sent an email already. I'm going to be calling my representatives tomorrow (at a decent hour). Call your reps!! It' more effective than email. But remember to be polite to the person answering the phone, chances are they are an intern or entry-level staffer and they don't deserve your abuse. Be polite.

Rightious man.

I don't know about anyone else, but this will be my new avatar for 72 hours

user posted image

I took my site down for this same reason. Hopefully those in Washington, and others who may get the same idea, will think twice before passing something like this.

I applaud your decision, TJ, and I share your hope that we don't need to send a message like this again.

ETA: I think the look is very spiffy! wub.gif

Edited by xXAngelicEvilXx

TJ,

This is a worthy cause for you to have broken DC's political agnosticism for.

Kudos!

~Peregryn~

Aw sad.gif I was hoping for a new dragon or a 'freedom' or 'black-out' badge of sorts. tongue.gif

For the haters: I know, it is indeed a good cause, I support it too! Yes and I know better than to expect anything between the Holidays and Valentines releases, that's why I said "hoping."

I didn't even know about these bills until I went to check my dragons today. I'm so glad I know about it now, and I completely support everyone who's doing things to oppose these bills.

Rightious man.

I don't know about anyone else, but this will be my new avatar for 72 hours

user posted image

That is my new Facebook picture, hehe. Thanks for providing it, I had been looking for something to use. happy.gif

Thank you TJ. I must say, I'm glad you didn't go for total blackout but rather chose an educating form. After all, if someone knew nothing about SOPA/PIPA and came here, they would probably panic. And well they might check the forum, I feel it's better to explain on the first page.

Personally, I don't feel the "total" black outs will be effective, except perhaps in the case of Google (since there's a very good chance that politicians do use it). The bills are terrible, but taking an education stance and giving people the chance to speak to their representatives, either through email or phone, is definitely the better option.

So many people have no idea these bills even exist, much less what they can do. Hopefully you've raised some awareness. The government probably won't notice or care what's happening across the internet, but if people will just take the time to contact their representatives, change can happen. I already did.

I can't sign the petition as I don't have a US zip code, kind of sucks cos I want to stop SOPA too. It won't just effect America, it will effect world wide!!

Great that you also decided to raise more awareness about these bills.

Ridiculous. -sigh-

Thanks for the blackout skin. smile.gif

I applaud your effort into this and thank you for making me see what this was. were it not for you, I would possibly not have known about it =)

I was positively surprised to find dragcave joining the protests today. Never even having been close to the US, I feel enraged and numbed over a law I have no influence on whatsoever - officially. Blackout it is!

That is my new Facebook picture, hehe. Thanks for providing it, I had been looking for something to use. happy.gif

Mine too tongue.gif

@wolvenlied - I sent an e-mail to my local parliment member, who e-mailed me back with thanks. smile.gif You can do plenty outside of the US too happy.gif

Here here! I'll do what I can from here in Europe! *bows down to TJ*

I can't sign the petition as I don't have a US zip code, kind of sucks cos I want to stop SOPA too. It won't just effect America, it will effect world wide!!

You can actually petition the State Department. If you scroll down on americancensorship.org ((which is linked on the DC navigation bar today)) it has a section for people who are not in the states to enter their email and add their names to petition the State Department. And thank you for your concern. As an American citizen, I am extremely grateful for you kindness and interest in this issue. As you've said, it'll effect everyone, not just the people in the US.

What SOPA and PIPA do--and this is almost exactly, literally what the laws say; the people who wrote and support the bill have admitted that they do not understand how the technology works, or the details of what this bill would mean--is allow any copyright holder to tell any site -that they believe- either has their copyrighted material on the site, or that -links to a site that has their copyrighted material on it-, to shut down, and to remove all commercial ad links. The thing is, the bill allows companies to do this -on a suspicion-, and there is no way that site can challenge the takedown before it happens.

Dragon Cave itself would probably be fine; there is a very strict limit on the outgoing links from the main site. These forums would be impossible. -Every- outgoing link that anybody posted, or embedded in their signature, or for that matter any image that anybody used for their userpic or signature, could cause the entire site to be closed instantly.

I'm not surprised that people don't know about it. There has been a deliberate news blackout about the issue; there has been very little mainstream reporting about the bills, because most of the news outlets that should be reporting it are owned by the companies that are pushing the bill.