TJ09

2011-01-18 - Blackout

thanks for bringing this to our attention TJ. I had no idea this was going as none of the other sites i was on did a blackout. I shall add my signature to the masses and hope that this bill is never passed. You certainly did the right thing today.

There's elegance not only in the new skin, but in the feeling that we can all agree on the same thing: that freedom of speech and expression are too important to not be fought for. The internet has brought us all together from all sorts of places, and now together no one can deny our united ability to stand up for the right thing.

I am so proud that DC is taking this stance! I know of several other websites that I frequent regularly that are doing temporary blackouts and I think it is extremely important that folks are aware of what is at stake here.

This is not just an issue for US citizens. The internet is global and the ramifications of these potential pieces of legislation are equally global. Even if, in your home country, you lack the freedoms that most US citizens (and heck, many people who access the internet on a daily basis) enjoy - you should still stand up and protest these bills. If the internet starts being oppressed in the way they are planning, it will spread around the world so quickly and who knows what other rights and freedoms will be taken away.

It only takes a few moments of your time to send an email or to find a petition online to sign and have your voice heard. You don't need to protest in the streets, there is no need to speak out publicly...but just adding your name to a petition or contacting your local government will have far reaching effects!

Here is a petition I found that is open to signatures from folks across the globe: Avaaz: Save the Internet Petition

The internet belongs to everyone!

I've heard about the censorship bills but didn't think anything would come of it.

Guess I'm very wrong. blink.gif I hope the people's voice will help put a stop to this mess!

I'm personally not too worried about SOPA getting too far off the ground. With how much people are taking action against it, there's no way even the President will let it stay alive for long.

I was thinking the same thing. i like this skin a lot!

Yeah, a lot of dragons look really cool on it!

And it's really awesome that you're doing this, TJ. The more people who understand the threat of SOPA/PIPA, the better chance we have of keeping DC and the rest of our internet.

Definitely support this. Sometimes you really can't stay silent - especially at a moment when many people are specifically trying to make their feelings known, and as DC exists on the internet, I think it's entirely appropriate to get the word out here.

THANK YOU TJ! That would be why my IE with Google frame won't work... I WAS aware of the Acts, just not that there were so many sites supporting Blackout... *texted on old phone*

Yeah, a lot of dragons look really cool on it!

And it's really awesome that you're doing this, TJ. The more people who understand the threat of SOPA/PIPA, the better chance we have of keeping DC and the rest of our internet.

I'm all for keeping some form of the skin too o3o I find it makes the dragons really pop! Really highlights the colours.

And I support this 100%. I'm Canadian but I can't help but see how this would affect all countries, and even if it only affected US citizens I would still be against it. The more people who are aware and speak out against it, the better.

Remember, it's not just about making sure this thing doesn't -last- if it passes. If it passes, even if it's repealed later, that's going to take years, and millions of dollars in legal fees, much of it taxpayer money. Plus its passage means that such a law can and will pass again if they only tweak it a little bit, and not actually fix all the problems it has.

SOPA and PIPA have to fail completely, or we're in serious trouble.

There's elegance not only in the new skin, but in the feeling that we can all agree on the same thing: that freedom of speech and expression are too important to not be fought for. The internet has brought us all together from all sorts of places, and now together no one can deny our united ability to stand up for the right thing.

Amen! Thanks for taking a stand TJ!!

First a law which allows indefinite detainment of any American suspected of terrorism without trial and now this......thank you tj

I'm personally not too worried about SOPA getting too far off the ground. With how much people are taking action against it, there's no way even the President will let it stay alive for long.

actually POTUS is opposed to the bill and will probably veto if it does pass. That would mean going back through congress again.

I can wholeheartedly agree with not wanting politics on the site... but given the dangers that this provides to the internet, and the increased power it gives to corporations and the government, I can also concur with your stand to spend a day speaking up about this. Corporations don't need this sort of power, and the Internet's security is already being built in other ways with the changing IP structure. Stuff like this.... goes too far, and will inevitably be misused.

The matching bills allow anyone to accuse a web site of copyright infringement and have it taken down or otherwise crippled (by forcing advertising/payment services to cease all dealings with the site).

Would that mean it's possible for DC to get in trouble for like, the Magikarp badge? :s

Well, it's nice to see TJ finding a stylish (though still laggy :P) way of supporting the current protest. Good job, TJ. <: