AlphawolfAmaroq

Animal Attacks

Two shark attacks within 90 minutes of each other... on the same beach:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-...beach/71227268/

Hmm. Sounds like really great first aid skills, but the lack of security or warning is a little concerning.

I've been very lucky as far as animal attacks go. No bee stings, no real cat scratches (aside from the silly love bites). Roosters and hens have pretty tough beaks, but then again, they're miniature chickens. My expectation for their bite strength isn't very high, so their exceeding it does not mean much.

I like to imagine that I'd be able to fight off a small animal, but Allie Brosh sums up the likelihood of that quite well.

Mom and Henry, our rooster, were at odds with one another there for a bit - the bugger'd peck her and leave welts on her legs, even through her pants.

They've since hashed out their differences. Who knew that picking him up and carrying him around when he starts to get aggressive would work? It does not, however, work on Banty roosters - the Napoleon complex prevents it, I think.

Henry, our rooster,

That is so funny. I had a rooster named Henry when I was a teen. His mate was Henrietta. smile.gif

Mom and Henry, our rooster, were at odds with one another there for a bit - the bugger'd peck her and leave welts on her legs, even through her pants.

They've since hashed out their differences. Who knew that picking him up and carrying him around when he starts to get aggressive would work? It does not, however, work on Banty roosters - the Napoleon complex prevents it, I think.

Holding a rooster, or a hen, for that matter, establishes the holder in the dominant position of the pecking order. Works with turkeys, too.

Works with all of my chickens except one little broody hen! She's mad at me because I keep taking the eggs, and has actually flown at me a couple of times. Holding settles her down for a day, maybe! laugh.gif

Hmm. Sounds like really great first aid skills, but the lack of security or warning is a little concerning.

The first one was swimming fairly close to a pier. If people are fishing from the pier, they often clean fish and toss the head, entrails etc into the water, and it can attract sharks. The only ones I've ever seen there myself are right at the fishing piers.

Also, these beaches have no lifeguards that are constantly watching for issues like this. Few of the little barrier island beaches I've been to do. You can call 911, which they did, and there is a water rescue team that can be called, but not routine lifeguards. So, unfortunately, time passed while they were working with the first one and the second kid got bitten too. Highly unusual for that particular area.

And I will be there next month. kayaks in the intracoastal waterway, i think, no swimming.

Yup, found it out on a website when I was searching for what could be done. Mom'd have likely put him in the stock pot otherwise, lol.

Who knew that picking him up and carrying him around when he starts to get aggressive would work? It does not, however, work on Banty roosters - the Napoleon complex prevents it, I think.

We've only owned bantams, and treating them like pets seems to keep them docile. A few have even been downright cuddly. We've only had one aggressive rooster, and he was our first chicken, so there's an excuse for not raising him to like others. He would bite strangers, but there were a few people he was okay with letting pet him.

Works with all of my chickens except one little broody hen! She's mad at me because I keep taking the eggs, and has actually flown at me a couple of times. Holding settles her down for a day, maybe! laugh.gif

One of our hens is a particularly fierce brooder. She's fairly meek outside of the nest, but collecting her eggs involves a lot of hissing and beak stabbing.