aangs-sister

ANSWERED:No/Shortened Cooldown for Breeding Refusals

*mental image of owner calling daydream over to check out a pair: everyone loses track of what they were doing, commence chasing of nearby butterflies*

xd.png

Fair point... xd.png

*mental image of owner calling daydream over to check out a pair: everyone loses track of what they were doing, commence chasing of nearby butterflies*

xd.png

Daydreams totally need a BSA that results in that happening. xd.png

On topic- I don't really support this. I know refusals are annoying (believe me, I know) but I see it as being the same as any other action having a chance at failure.

I do not support a flat out change to the refusals. Annoying as it can be, it adds an element of the unknown when you first test a breeding pair.

I would support a Valentine BSA that would either predict or prevent refusals... or perhaps it could shorten the wait time, or maybe even wipes the refusal from the records and allows the pair to try again (after the normal wait period).

Using Valentines for the BSA would prevent overuse of this function, plus give the V-days more functionality other than looking pretty on our scrolls.

Edited by razi

I understand that the action gets used and therefore it needs a cooldown. But I think that a refusal should have a shorter cooldown.

My logic being that the dragon, (in my mind), did preform an elaborate mating dance and therefore it could be tired, or not in the mood to try again because it feels rejected.

But in another, lets says 3 days, it might be ready and raring to try to attract another mate. So I think the cool down maybe should be 3 or 4 days which is much more reasonable then waiting a week to breed again.

This seems logical enough to work. I've updated the title and first post with this suggestion.

However, I don't support a valentine BSA. One of the main reasons the Wrap BSA got TJs OK was that it had no effect on the main game-play (the point of wrap is to wrap up an egg so that when it is gifted to someone, it is a surprise and looks nice).

However, I certainly wouldn't mind it given to another breed as long as it made sense.

Edited by aangs-sister

Agreed since my last 2 breed able dragons just refused.

Total support: to me it is pointless to wait a whole week just because they hate each other, n this is particularly annoying with partners that you had a hard time catching.

I don't think this should change. It's just another challenging part of the game. If we removed everything that poses any sort of challenge, the game would be boring. There needs to be things that irritate us a little bit so that when things actually work out, it's even better because we managed to bypass the irritating result. smile.gif

xd.png

BEST laugh all day. xd.png

But, to be on topic... I think that a shortened cooldown would be fair and make sense, personally.

As mentioned before, if the pair doesn't even try to breed, why would they need to wait too long to breed again? And, also mentioned before, they might be so repulsed that they don't even want to breed again. But if the cooldown is shortened, it would work out for that, too.

Great idea. You have my support. ^^

I dunno - if someone tried to force ME to mate with an enemy, I'd take a while to recover, too!

If it's shortened, could it be 4-5 days? Three is just too short a cooldown. . . . Even if neither did a mating dance, it would be tense, right? Cuz I'm not relaxed when with someone I normally refuse to go near. And tension = stress, and stress = exhaustion.

I support the original post whole-heartedly and add to it that I also think that those two dragons who 'show no interest' should also be allowed to breed in 2 or three days. Suppose it was 'just a headache'? Or he was really really tired from just getting home after a long heavy soccer-match? I agree that it makes no sense to lose an entire week just because either the pair was totally incompatible and no hanky-panky took place, or because one or the other was temporarily unmotivated to make little eggs.

And after being here since '08 and still having no CB shinies, and 3 out of the 4 only CB Blacks I own have gendered male (despite my Influencing them), I need NO further 'irritation', thank you.

Makes sense from a logic point of view.

But still... I like it the way it is. Especially if you have a very stubborn dragon that is refusing most of the mates you try to breed him to, and every time you have to wait a week, and the tension is getting higher and higher if you try to breed him to another mate and desperately hope they won't refuse this time - that's part of the game for me.

Hmmm... maybe if they refuse they fight each other and that's why they need to rest?

Whatever, I don't like the idea of completely removing the cooldown. A reduced cooldown is ok if people really want it, but I'm also happy if everything stays the way it is.

Bumping the thread

Hmmm... maybe if they refuse they fight each other and that's why they need to rest?

Currently, it says the dragons refuse to go near each other. I don't see anything about a fight.

If it's shortened, could it be 4-5 days? Three is just too short a cooldown. . . . Even if neither did a mating dance, it would be tense, right? Cuz I'm not relaxed when with someone I normally refuse to go near. And tension = stress, and stress = exhaustion.

I mostly picked 3 or 4 days for simplicity's sake (half of the regular breeding cooldown, rounded up or down) since it would give time to recover from stress/a mating ritual but still make a difference to breeders. If the refusal cooldown was shortened, by how much do you think would be fair and why? (focus on the why)

Edited by aangs-sister

It has never made any sense to me that there should be any cool-down at all when two dragons refuse to go anywhere near each other. Just what are they cooling down from? The stress of not doing a darn thing at all? I suppose a reduced cool-down is better than nothing, but I still think a cool-down for outright refusals is utterly ludicrous and, I daresay, untenable. =\

EDIT: My above statement is based on the refusal massage as it is now. If it were reworded to give a legitimate reason for a cool-down, that would be a different matter entirely. As it stands now, a cool-down does not seem warranted in the least, but with a little tweaking perhaps it could be made to. My vote is for a re-evaluation of the wording of the message and a reduced cool-down. It might make a bit more sense that way all around.

Edited by Riannon

I do see the logic in the idea, but how do we know that the refusal cooldown isn't just because the two dragons were so turned off by each other that they didn't even want to think about mating for a week?

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe it doesn't make perfect RP-sense, but it doesn't many any more game-sense to have no cooldown for refusals.

I've been trying my hand in breeding fish.. lemmie tell you, those little guys are exhausted after their attempts, whether they actually breed or not. Theres a lot of chasing, nipping, hiding, courtship specific things long before the actual act takes place. I always just assumed the week long cool down was for healing the injuries that are bound to happen during the act. Refusing to go near one another is still a very stressful situation for both critters involved. Not to mention... recovering from actually doing the deed and then popping out an egg would be very rough on the female.

Though i hav to admit: i never did understand why the male cooldown is as long as the females. She has to recover.. he just has to sleep it off and move on to the next female.

If there's no good explanation for either having a CD or not having a CD, I think I'd prefer the latter being on site. Because, you know, of the two it's the one that causes less frustration, annoyance, and creates a better experience. Idk, maybe I'm just weird for preferring that =p

If there's no good explanation for either having a CD or not having a CD, I think I'd prefer the latter being on site. Because, you know, of the two it's the one that causes less frustration, annoyance, and creates a better experience. Idk, maybe I'm just weird for preferring that =p

So if the amount of population control that this cool down period provided was shifted to breeding failure instead, would that be less frustrating?

I don't mean that in a snarky way, I'm genuinely curious, because if people don't mind that then I don't necessarily see the problem in changing it. Of course, I don't know how much it affects egg production, but seeing as I've had at least 10 refusals in almost 2 months, which is 10 weeks of cool down time, it might be a noticable shift.

Either way, I think we end up with the same wait, we just change the name. I guess the question is which name bugs us less. lol

If it was just for "refuse to go near each other", I doubt the lack of CD would produce a significant number of surplus eggs. There'd still be the option of 'no interest' or 'don't produce any eggs', so the odds are still stacked against you if you're trying for a successful breed.

Oops, I think I read your post wrong at first, sorry. If I got a refusal and then tried to breed again with a "no interest", it wouldn't particularly frustrate me more than plain refusal. At least it didn't take me an extra week to try to find a compatible mate.

Edited by Nine

I think there should be some kind of penalty, but yes, 2-3 days before we can use the action again would be really nice.

How about if they've gone through an elaborate ritual to attract the other dragon, then it's necessary for a cooldown, but if they haven't and are not exhausted, then no cool down?

How about if they've gone through an elaborate ritual to attract the other dragon, then it's necessary for a cooldown, but if they haven't and are not exhausted, then no cool down?

How would that be decided?

I've been trying my hand in breeding fish.. lemmie tell you, those little guys are exhausted after their attempts, whether they actually breed or not. Theres a lot of chasing, nipping, hiding, courtship specific things long before the actual act takes place. I always just assumed the week long cool down was for healing the injuries that are bound to happen during the act. Refusing to go near one another is still a very stressful situation for both critters involved. Not to mention... recovering from actually doing the deed and then popping out an egg would be very rough on the female.

Excellent point, thank you.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I know this is just a game, but does it really make sense that if a pair "refuse to go near each other" that neither would be ready to breed again until the same amount of time elapses that would pass had they produced an egg, hatched it, and raised it to adulthood?

I would like to see this changed - keep one week for successful breedings, but say five days for unsuccessful breedings, and perhaps three days for refusals.

This is an intentional gameplay element and is not something that is likely to change in the foreseeable future.