aangs-sister

ANSWERED:No/Shortened Cooldown for Breeding Refusals

Here is my idea: If you tried to breed a pair of dragons, and the two dragons refuse to even go near each other, it doesn’t affect either dragons breeding cool down.

Currently, if a pair of dragons completely refuse each other, they cannot breed for a week. Personally, I don’t see any reason for it. If you lock two a boy and a girl of any species in a room and they stay as far away from each other as they can, it wouldn’t hinder them from reproducing with a different partner afterwards, would it?

I don’t think this idea need a lot of elaboration or explanation. With this, if two of your dragons ever completely refused each other, you could simply go back to the actions, click breed, and have the dragon breed with a different partner and the refused partner would not appear on the list anymore.

EDIT: Some people have pointed out, while the idea makes sense, it may have a negative impact on game mechanics (Population changes, breeding ratios, ect...). Because of this, some people have suggested a shortened cooldown instead of a full cooldown removal.

If it were to be shortened, I would probably vote for a 3 or 4 day cooldown (half of the regular breeding cooldown, rounded up or down)

Any thoughts or comments?

Edited by aangs-sister

I support this. From a "Does this make sense?" perspective, it makes sense that two dragons who attempt to produce an egg but fail to do so would nevertheless be tired out from the effort of mating, so I can see why they should have a breeding cooldown. But from the same perspective, two dragons who won't even go near each other obviously aren't tired out from mating since they never went near each other and never mated.

There are breeds that would go through what is known as the mating dance (not the actual mating itself) to try and impress the lady into mating with them and those can be quite excusting in and of itself. Even if the other refuses, it would still leave at least one of them excuasted.

Edited by Dolphinsong

"The dragons refuse to go near each other," makes it sound like the revulsion is mutual, which makes me wonder if either of them would even initiate any courtship rituals.

I do see the logic in the idea, but how do we know that the refusal cooldown isn't just because the two dragons were so turned off by each other that they didn't even want to think about mating for a week?

I'm neutral on this myself. I breed a lot, so it would definitely be useful to me, but at the same time, refusals are kind of a big part of the game. I just don't feel like they would have the same impact if you could immediately rebreed your dragons with different mates.

This has come up a few times and I have never supported it. While it sucks, a refusal is one of the breeding results. The breed action was used, so I don't see why the cooldown shouldn't be there. ^^

I see the logic - but like any other action - you used it, so the cooldown should hold. If not - then all of us who have failed to summon for two years should get to try again with each failure, after all (I WISH !!!)

I don't think I support this, for the reasons others have stated. What I would kind of like is a way to "introduce" a pair of dragons to test their compatibility without actually breeding them.

For example, I'm currently egg-locked, but I have this Ember that I bred as a mate for her. I'd really like to know if they're compatible, but I don't want to breed while locked and possibly send an egg to the AP - even if this time it would be an Ember with a nice lineage, this is not always the case! wink.gif I'd love a feature, possibly with a short cooldown (maybe 2 or 3 days?), that would let me introduce a pair of dragons and get an indication of whether or not they'll be a suitable pair. Since draconic affections seem to be a sliding scale (I'm sure we all have pairs of dragons that haven't refused but really don't like giving eggs, and other pairs that give an egg every single time they're bred), it could perhaps have three responses:

1) "The dragons snarl and try to attack each other." These guys will probably refuse.

2) "The dragons seem indifferent to each other." These guys might not refuse, but they probably won't be enthusiastic breeders either.

3) "The dragons seem pleased to see each other and start playing." These guys are in luuuuuurve! tongue.gif

Dunno how easy this would be to implement, but I guess it'd probably work along the lines currently used for determining compatibility the first time a pair is bred, but without having to calculate whether or not an egg is produced. Thoughts?

I can't see it happening - I suspect the refusals are too much a part of the "way things work" - just like dead eggs from bites. You take a risk and...

I'm not sure I would find this helpful-- usually I don't have a second partner available and have to rebreed anyway- that being the really frustrating part dry.gif

I'm not sure a " pre- breeding' indicator would be helpful-- what if it was wrong?

( the Minister who married us was sure it wasn't going to last--- jump to 30 years later- yup still married- to each other- laugh.gif )

I understand that the action gets used and therefore it needs a cooldown. But I think that a refusal should have a shorter cooldown.

My logic being that the dragon, (in my mind), did preform an elaborate mating dance and therefore it could be tired, or not in the mood to try again because it feels rejected.

But in another, lets says 3 days, it might be ready and raring to try to attract another mate. So I think the cool down maybe should be 3 or 4 days which is much more reasonable then waiting a week to breed again.

I'm not sure a " pre- breeding' indicator would be helpful-- what if it was wrong?

( the Minister who married us was sure it wasn't going to last--- jump to 30 years later- yup still married- to each other- laugh.gif )

The whole point of it would be that it wouldn't be wrong.

The whole point of it would be that it wouldn't be wrong.

but would TJ make it 100 %???

I doubt it-- influence can fail, fertility is iffy, earthquake /vampire bites kill more often than not

only incubate and teleport work all the time.If teleport failed there would be a riot, not sure why incubate always works -----

as much as I hate refusals, I still don't support this

I do see the logic in the idea, but how do we know that the refusal cooldown isn't just because the two dragons were so turned off by each other that they didn't even want to think about mating for a week?

LOL! :-D That's the best laugh I've had all morning...

I like the idea of some kind of matchmaking BSA that would tell you in advance how compatible two dragons would be, but we don't really have a psychic dragon for the BSA to naturally go with, and the only love-related dragons we have are too rare to get BSA's.

LOL!  :-D  That's the best laugh I've had all morning...

I like the idea of some kind of matchmaking BSA that would tell you in advance how compatible two dragons would be, but we don't really have a psychic dragon for the BSA to naturally go with, and the only love-related dragons we have are too rare to get BSA's.

What about BBW's or Day Glories? Water Horses?

Edited by stogucheme

Daydreamers smile.gif

LOL! :-D That's the best laugh I've had all morning...

In the BSA section, there's a thread called "Wrap" which suggests a BSA for Christmas dragons. In the thread a lot of people shot down the idea that Christmas dragons could have a BSA. But TJ said it was fine for Christmas dragons to have that BSA.

Presumably, he would feel the same way about the Valentine's dragons. I don't think it's a problem as long as all the Valentine breeds have the same BSA rather than just one of the breeds having it.

I'm not sure I would find this helpful-- usually I don't have a second partner available and have to rebreed anyway- that being the really frustrating part dry.gif

I envisaged it replacing the compatability test that gets performed when two dragons are first bred together. If a pair of dragons are going to refuse each other, I generally want to know so I can start making other arrangements, 'cos usually the dragons I breed are part of some lineage or other - I'm not much of a one for breeding for the sake of breeding! tongue.gif

I dunno, it was just a thought.

I understand that the action gets used and therefore it needs a cooldown. But I think that a refusal should have a shorter cooldown.

Now this would be something I'd be okay with. :3

Well, the BBWs certainly wouldn't work for that. For all their vanity, they've got no more insight into the huma- er, dragon heart than the rest of us.

Eh, I could go either way. Some dragons do have elaborate rating rituals, but many don't, and I feel the "refuse to even go near each other" meant not even for a dance or something. A full reduction seems too much, though. Maybe instead of seven days, five days?

Daydreamers :)

*mental image of owner calling daydream over to check out a pair: everyone loses track of what they were doing, commence chasing of nearby butterflies*

XD

I always figured that the refusal rate was a part of overall population control. If those dragons could rebreed immediately, then the lack of eggs you get with refusals would have to be shifted to regular breedings. I'm not sure that it would be any less frustrating to not get an egg from a compatible pair and lose a week than it is to find out that two dragons aren't suited and lose a week.