TroupeMaster

A way to tell how an egg died

I like the idea, seperate little texts for each kill, for manuel, softshell,bite, and ran out of time.

i think there should be different sprites

like a egg that ran out of time could be on it's side and slightly collapsing

"unfortunately this egg ran out of time and died"

a vampire bitten egg could have tootholes

"unfortunately this egg was killed by a vampire"

a smashed egg could have the current sprite

regular sprite

earthquake could have a rock on top a now cracked egg

"unfortunately this egg was smashed during a earthquake"

This sounds really great, I would support something like this added to the game biggrin.gif

I like the idea of seperate texts... That would take away a lot of gifting confusion and refusals to trade due to those dead egg sprites, plus it would bring extra flavor text to the game. Support this.

Casual no-support from me, because you can already tell how an egg died. Just look at it.

Killed on its first day with almost no stats? Vamp bit it (doubly likely if it's a CB ultracommon or a super-long-lineage common). Killed after a couple of days with reasonable stats? Probably EQ. Ran out of time with almost no stats? Somebody forgot their Neglected experiment or somebody's extremely neglectful of regular dragons. Ran out of time with fairly low stats, specifically low UV and high V? Neglected experiment.

You could make special sprites for the different cases. I'm not hugely opposed to the idea. I just don't think it's really necessary.

I think the point is that HOW an egg dies matters to some people and on the gifting threads.

Manual kills seem to be the worst

EQ kills show either bad luck or bad judgement, depending on the individual response

Vamp kills are pure bad luck and most folk don't see them as 'bad'

Sickness death is usually due to ignorance/being a newbie.. bad, but will happen less with experience

Out of time death is very similar to sickness death and with the same results

So there are LOTS of folk who would like to know EXACTLY why an egg died.. for their own peace of mind and in the perception of others who view their scroll.

-----------

Doesn't matter to me personally, but I see lots of posts about how others feel and I think their posts have merit too.

EDIT: not sure where to put or handle death due to ND experiments

I second this. It'd be easier than having to explain to the mods of trading threads over and over what happened to the broken egg shells when they can just check for themselves and see if its a vamp death or manual death or neglect death or something. smile.gif

An interesting idea, but I don't really see the point. I guess I agree with AGYK, in that it's pretty easy to tell how an egg died if you just look at the stats.

If it does get implemented it will be kind of fun to look at how things get killed cave-wide, however.

About the only time how an egg died seems to come into play for some is when eggs are being traded/gifted - and even then, everyone differs on just why they won't trade/gift because of it (ex. This one doesn't like any dead eggs, this one will gift provided the dead egg isn't from time running out, etc)

Personally, if only to add a little more flavor to dead eggs - I would support this. However, I feel it should be limited to just enough to get across how the egg died:

Sickness: "Unfortunately, this egg has died of sickness"

Kill action: "Unfortunately, this egg has been killed"

Earthquake: "Unfortunately, this egg appears to have been broken in an Earthquake"

Vampire Bite: "Unfortunately, this egg appears to have been killed by a Vampire"

Low Time/not enough views/clicks: "Unfortunately, this egg has died due to neglect" *or something to that extent, as it covers both those who couldn't get enough views for one reason or another, as well as those who had a failed experiment*

True, I agree with others that one can usually figure out how an egg died by the stats - but it could help newer players (as well as some older ones) know at a glance what happened to a egg.

Actually - most trade threads don't allow dead eggs at all, unless bitten - which is easy to show by linking to the vampire. Any other is a deliberate kill or neglect. And if it had been deliberate neglect leading to death - you can't prove it.

I don't care about this one way or another - but I can't see the point; I can't honestly see what it will help.

Some support, use for this would be varied but it wouldn't hurt anything.

No on the idea of different sprites, considering how many breeds there are that is just too much spriting.

There would be no way of telling the difference between viewbombing and simple sickness on a coding level, so for death by sickness people would have to make a judgement call or ask.

As for neglected attempts, those can be classified as one of the other types of death depending on what the user did to try and hatch it, so again judgement call or ask.

Have some more potential description ideas:

Eggs:

Out of time - Unfortunately, this egg has died. It's shell is cold to the touch. (Implies it didn't get enough warmth, real life eggs have to be kept warm to hatch)

Sickness - Unfortunately, this egg has died. It's shell is soft to the touch. (Implies soft-shell)

Earthquake - Unfortunately, this egg has been killed. A stone is sitting on the broken shell. (Implies a rock fell on it during the EQ)

Vampire - Unfortunately, this egg has been killed. There are two holes in the shell. (Implies it was bitten)

Manual kill - Unfortunately, this egg has been killed. The shell is shattered. (Implies it was crushed or thrown)

Hatchies:

Out of time - Unfortunately, this hatchling has died. It looks malnourished. (Implies it didn't get enough food)

Sickness - Unfortunately, this hatchling has died. It shows signs of disease. (Implies illness)

Manual kill - Unfortunately, this hatchling has been killed. It appears to have been wounded. (Implies having been stabbed)

I believe those are all the ways an egg/hatchie can die.

This suggestion is ingenious! It could be very useful for many parties. Full support biggrin.gif

Lots of people, especially gifters, DO care how sth died.

Atm as they cannot tell how sth died, they tend to treat sb with dead things as sb unworthy of getting their eggs/hatchies.Many threads don't allow dead things to be on requester's scroll at all.

ND attempt, Zombie attempt and Vampire bite are definitely better reasons than no care or just killing. first 3 serve getting a new dragon breed while others are mostly a pointless waste of a dragon. Also viewbombing is also better than if sth died with 0 views or was simply killed to be disposed of.

But actually those are a matter of personal judgement.

I'd like others to know how my things died. Though I can't remember having anything dead so far...^^;

I'd also prefer to know why sb has dead things, especially if I want to gift them or trade with them. if I see kills made out of haloween zombie preparation season I know I'd rather not want anything from them.

Btw do zombies have any info they're zombies while being tombstones? if not, they need that, also withough encyclopeadia unlock or anything.

I also think that an ND attempt could besomehow recognized - views are being mass given soon before the timeout. This is at least what I heard is the way to success in NDing.

Edited by VixenDra

Btw do zombies have any info they're zombies while being tombstones? if not, they need that, also withough encyclopeadia unlock or anything.

I never noticed, but you're right, it just says that the dragon/hatchling has died when it shows the tombstone sprite.

Is the tombstone only visible to the scroll owner? Otherwise you can easily tell by looking at the date whether it's a dead or undead dragon, at least if the kill date is more than 2 weeks ago. If the tombstone is not visible to scroll visitors, it's not a problem anyway.

@topic: I'm rather indifferent. You can mostly tell how an egg has died already, so I don't need it, but I see no reason against it either.

Edited by Ha-Ki

I'm one of those who couldn't care less why you have dead dragons on your scroll. However I do know some people do, so I see no harm in this suggestion coming to life. The different sprites suggested seems like a nice idea.

No on the idea of different sprites, considering how many breeds there are that is just too much spriting.

It could be done with a simple partly transparent overlay, it would be one sprite for each way of dying then.

Edited by Ha-Ki

I never noticed, but you're right, it just says that the dragon/hatchling has died when it shows the tombstone sprite.

Is the tombstone only visible to the scroll owner? Otherwise you can easily tell by looking at the date whether it's a dead or undead dragon, at least if the kill date is more than 2 weeks ago. If the tombstone is not visible to scroll visitors, it's not a problem anyway.

Zombies show in lineages as tombstones... Though I'm not sure if they aren't clickable from it in opposite to trurly dead dragons?

Hm, I think it's not visible from the scroll but I'm not sure. Though during the Haloween period you can't tell if it's dead or undead and would be nice to know:)

BTW pity Zombies don't show in progeny after 2 weeks, only in lineages.. that's a loss.

@topic: I'm rather indifferent. You can mostly tell how an egg has died already, so I don't need it, but I see no reason against it either.

When I look at my scroll (the actual user page), the 4 Zombies at the very end of my scroll aren't visible, but when I go to the "My Dragons" link they're there. And of course they all have died on dates of last year, which is way too long for a normal dead dragon, as well as having names.

Ideas for a new description anyway:

Unfortunately, this dragon has been killed. Strangely, it seems to be moving slightly.

Unfortunately, this dragon has been killed. Did it just growl?

Unfortunately, this dragon has been killed. It gives you a bad feeling...

Unfortunately, this dragon has been killed. It seems to be cursed.

This dragon has been killed, but was revived. Something seems to have gone wrong during the revival process...

Edit: On the alt sprites idea, consider eggs that have unique hatching sequences. Certain eggs such as Papers wouldn't look right with a default dead look, and others like Balloons couldn't be overlayed since the sprite is unusual. Also, hatchies can die, so if we wanted to differentiate them as well there would have to be new tombstones. So just no to unique sprites, it would take an extremely long time to set up compared to just switching out the description, and some spriters might not want their egg sprites messed with.

Edited by Kovia

I have to agree with this. If I'm going to gift to a newer user, when I see dead eggs on their scroll, I'm assuming they're still getting the hang of things or didn't understand the consequence of one of the actions they used. If I am going to gift to an older user, when I see dead eggs on their scroll, I know they still know how to raise an egg, and the dead eggs aren't really going to make me think twice.

But I think when you're participating in a gifting thread and know you'll want something, then you can put in the effort to not use any of those actions for a while. As for trading, if you want to do that, you'll either have to trust you'll find a willing trading partner or you should put in the effort to not use those actions when you're looking for an important trade. owo

So this was my original opinion and while I could still make these points, my mind has actually changed over time.

While I don't find this necessary, I also wouldn't mind it being added. In some cases, the messages being unique are kind of cool.

Some support, use for this would be varied but it wouldn't hurt anything.

There would be no way of telling the difference between viewbombing and simple sickness on a coding level, so for death by sickness people would have to make a judgement call or ask.

As for neglected attempts, those can be classified as one of the other types of death depending on what the user did to try and hatch it, so again judgement call or ask.

Have some more potential description ideas:

Eggs:

Out of time - Unfortunately, this egg has died. It's shell is cold to the touch. (Implies it didn't get enough warmth, real life eggs have to be kept warm to hatch)

Sickness - Unfortunately, this egg has died. It's shell is soft to the touch. (Implies soft-shell)

Earthquake - Unfortunately, this egg has been killed. A stone is sitting on the broken shell. (Implies a rock fell on it during the EQ)

Vampire - Unfortunately, this egg has been killed. There are two holes in the shell. (Implies it was bitten)

Manual kill - Unfortunately, this egg has been killed. The shell is shattered. (Implies it was crushed or thrown)

Hatchies:

Out of time - Unfortunately, this hatchling has died. It looks malnourished. (Implies it didn't get enough food)

Sickness - Unfortunately, this hatchling has died. It shows signs of disease. (Implies illness)

Manual kill - Unfortunately, this hatchling has been killed. It appears to have been wounded. (Implies having been stabbed)

I believe those are all the ways an egg/hatchie can die.

I agree with all of this! smile.gif Also the different message for the zombie hatchling or adult would be very helpful too! <3

I get confused when I look at the stats of the egg and most of the time I don't even look at that. I just see the egg sprite and I read the message under it. @.@ And I've been here for quite a while!

Also something that can separate dead from regular neglect [out of time and too low views] and dead from an ND experiment should be done. I think if the egg gets a ridiculous amount of certain kinds of views within the last few hours, then you can have it coded to reveal an ND egg attempt instead of general neglect? ALSO! Some of them DO change to the distinctive sickly green of an ND egg right before death, right at the moment when it may hatch into an ND hatchling or just crack into actual death. Those ones should be easy to code with a message that it was an ND attempt of some kind since we have to unlock that sprite in the first place in the Encyclopedia for cryin' out loud!

ALSO! Some of them DO change to the distinctive sickly green of an ND egg right before death, right at the moment when it may hatch into an ND hatchling or just crack into actual death. Those ones should be easy to code with a message that it was an ND attempt of some kind since we have to unlock that sprite in the first place in the Encyclopedia for cryin' out loud!

No unique message needed here, as the egg sprite tells you that is was an ND experiment - it will be the broken shell of the ND egg wink.gif

Also, a broken shell of an ND egg with the kill message tells you that it didn't have enough time left to hatch and the owner tried to force it by EQ or kill.

Also something that can separate dead from regular neglect [out of time and too low views] and dead from an ND experiment should be done. I think if the egg gets a ridiculous amount of certain kinds of views within the last few hours, then you can have it coded to reveal an ND egg attempt instead of general neglect?

There is no way to differentiate an experiment from someone forgetting their egg until literally the last minutes of its life. Neglecteds were initially a punishment for players who did just that; now, with Neglecteds being prized and no longer the stigma of a bad owner, the only difference between a deliberate experiment and a forgetful/neglectful owner is intent. There are some "tells" that imply an experiment - lots of shells on the scroll, a high-level (silver/gold) scroll (in other words, someone who clearly knows how to raise dragons), the occasional actual Neglected shell (very rare), a disproportionate number of reds on a small scroll. High UV and low V is also a sign of an experiment, although not all experiments follow that pattern (new experimenters in particular often have shells that look exactly like someone trying to save an egg in panic).

ALSO! Some of them DO change to the distinctive sickly green of an ND egg right before death, right at the moment when it may hatch into an ND hatchling or just crack into actual death. Those ones should be easy to code with a message that it was an ND attempt of some kind since we have to unlock that sprite in the first place in the Encyclopedia for cryin' out loud!

Uh. If the shell is from a ND, I think it's reasonable to assume it was an experiment.

Uh... aren't we not allowed to discuss the methods of getting NDs on the forums?

Also, I'm pretty sure that it is impossible to code something so that it can tell why the owner waited until it was about to run out of time to start getting it views. There is no specific "experimented" method of death, the majority of dead NDs are due to out of time, some due to sickness, EQ, or forcing.

Not gonna happen guys, move on.