TroupeMaster

A way to tell how an egg died

Not sure if this is a dupe topic, I searched through the 6 pages of results and couldn't find anything like this, so here we go!

I have recently had several unsuccessful attempts at biting some eggs, and unfortunately, they died. I then came up with an idea to reduce the stigma of having a dead egg on your scroll.

It is like an extra description that would give anyone that wanted to know some idea of how the egg died, so if it happened to be a failed vamp bite, the the text would be like 'The shell of the egg appears to have bite marks on it' or when the kill action is used something like 'The egg shell is broken into many small pieces, as if it has been hit with a rock'.

Not sure if this would work with hatchlings and adults, but it would be a good way to reduce the negativity of having something dead on your scroll.

Actually when you hit "kill" on an egg you smash it on the floor.

That aside, I don't really see the point. If it's dead it's dead; if it ran out of time it's obvious (date of death 7 days after catching), and if it didn't then you obviously either killed it manually (includes bite and EQ, since you confirm your decision to use a potentially deadly BSA) or got viewbombed.

People are wary of any dead shells because all of the above are undesirable.

Edited by Lythiaren

There's a difference in the description for an egg dead by sickness or running out of time than those killed by the kill action, EQ action, or bite action, so I don't see a need for this either. o3o

(We did have a thread for this, but it must have been cleaned. I do remember it had a majority no answer.)

I think the point is that HOW an egg dies matters to some people and on the gifting threads.

Manual kills seem to be the worst

EQ kills show either bad luck or bad judgement, depending on the individual response

Vamp kills are pure bad luck and most folk don't see them as 'bad'

Sickness death is usually due to ignorance/being a newbie.. bad, but will happen less with experience

Out of time death is very similar to sickness death and with the same results

So there are LOTS of folk who would like to know EXACTLY why an egg died.. for their own peace of mind and in the perception of others who view their scroll.

-----------

Doesn't matter to me personally, but I see lots of posts about how others feel and I think their posts have merit too.

EDIT: not sure where to put or handle death due to ND experiments

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

EDIT: not sure where to put or handle death due to ND experiments

I would count it as an out of time death or a sickness death. (That is, if it's possible to get an egg killed via viewbomb when it only has less than 10 mins remaining - screenshot thread with GoNs/tinsels being sick with 3 days left prove they can get killed with sickness)

Getting viewbombed is bad too because if you've recently been targeted by some malicious person, chances are they'll be back to cause further grief. If you're gifted a rare, chances are high that your viewbomber will kill that too.

Full support. As a person who gifts, it would be really helpful to tell how the egg died to decide whether to gift to someone or not. I am also a person who bites frequently, and I feel bad when others refuse to trade with me because of a vamp fail.

Some suggestions?

Earthquake: Unfortunately, this egg has been killed. The shell is sitting beside a break in the earth.

Vampire bite: Unfortunately, this egg has been killed. The shell of the egg has strange bite marks on it.

Manual kill: Unfortunately, this egg has been killed. The egg shell appears to have been shattered by a blunt object.

As a person who feels bad to see a dead egg because of failed bite attempt on my scroll, I too would be interested in seeing something like this.

I am someone who considers certain types of egg death to be bad, and other types of egg death to be perfectly fine. If this feature were implemented to distinguish between the different types of death, it's something that I would gladly use when gifting. Granted I don't gift super often, but I would be perfectly content to gift an egg to someone who has failed vamp bites or dead experiment eggs on their scroll, but not to someone who let their egg die due to not knowing how to care for it.

I am someone who considers certain types of egg death to be bad, and other types of egg death to be perfectly fine.  If this feature were implemented to distinguish between the different types of death, it's something that I would gladly use when gifting.  Granted I don't gift super often, but I would be perfectly content to gift an egg to someone who has failed vamp bites or dead experiment eggs on their scroll, but not to someone who let their egg die due to not knowing how to care for it.

How does someone who was viewbombed prove it, she said angrily (I hold a good grudge !)

I once lost four eggs in one night from viewbombing.... it could have looked like I was careless enough to put them in too many places - but I hadn't. I agree that it would actually be good to know, but Ren just made me wonder...

Typefailed again sad.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

Three month ago I was a newbie, I have lost 3 eggs because they have received too clicks, I felt myself so stupid and in fault. So I decided to obtain vampire just with trade because I don't want repeat the experience of death about my pets. I will never try to make a neglected or a zombie. My sister has been lucky with her first attempt with a bite of vampire and she has obtained an egg. With second attempt she has failed and now a poor dead egg appears on her scroll and she feels herself like me three month ago.

Maybe it's stupid behavior, after all they are just pixels, anyway they are an our responsability, so we need to consider them as real creatures.

I have dreamed a real dragon for all my life. Real dragons don't exist, so I must to keep in good health my pixel's dragons.

...Er, what does this have to do with knowing HOW an egg died?

On topic:

Personally, I see how this could be useful, but I don't know that I'd use it too much. Honestly, as long as I get what I want out of a trade, I couldn't care less if the other person EQ'd a 2nd gen gold from a gold/silver pairing--if they kill it, that's their problem and their choice.

But I know that others don't feel that way, and it could be helpful even for people like me who may have a failed vamp bite on their scroll but want to trade for something nice.

I could go either way with this. I think that the suggested messages would be a cute addition but, on the other hand, if you kill an egg - for whatever reason - then you've killed it and I don't think that the site necessarily needs to pull a CSI and tell everyone how.

I routinely have dead eggs on my scroll, so this isn't a judgment or a call to not kill eggs, but in a game about raising dragons, I don't think that a dead egg stigma is that bad of an idea.

Having said that, I can't remember the last time I looked at someone's scroll and thought something negative about them because of it dead eggs. These days I just assume vamp bite or experiment. Frankly, with the exception of brand new players, how many people routinely use either the kill option or Earthquake, given the fact that they take up an egg slot for the day?

I could go either way with this. I think that the suggested messages would be a cute addition but, on the other hand, if you kill an egg - for whatever reason - then you've killed it and I don't think that the site necessarily needs to pull a CSI and tell everyone how.

I routinely have dead eggs on my scroll, so this isn't a judgment or a call to not kill eggs, but in a game about raising dragons, I don't think that a dead egg stigma is that bad of an idea.

Having said that, I can't remember the last time I looked at someone's scroll and thought something negative about them because of it dead eggs. These days I just assume vamp bite or experiment. Frankly, with the exception of brand new players, how many people routinely use either the kill option or Earthquake, given the fact that they take up an egg slot for the day?

I guess because in trading, some people exclude people with dead eggs from offering... now if you can show that it was planned as part of your gameplay (so you can presumably be trusted not to bite an egg you get in trade, for instance) rather than neglect or incompetence, they may let you trade.

i guess this seems to be useful to those who gift and have 'rules' depending whether or not the person with the dead egg(s) is able to receive a gift. though honestly, i would have more fun going around to people's scrolls and seeing how their eggs got killed, lol. so i wouldn't mind if this was implemented.

I guess because in trading, some people exclude people with dead eggs from offering... now if you can show that it was planned as part of your gameplay (so you can presumably be trusted not to bite an egg you get in trade, for instance) rather than neglect or incompetence, they may let you trade.

So we're removing an incentive to keep dragons alive?

Like I said, I'm not against it, but I'm also not against the ambiguity being part of the consequence of actively killing an egg. Kind of like how a scroll full of failed experiments can also look like the scroll of a careless dragon tender - it's the risk you take when your dragon's life is secondary to the goal being pursued.

Like I said, I'm not against it, but I'm also not against the ambiguity being part of the consequence of actively killing an egg. Kind of like how a scroll full of failed experiments can also look like the scroll of a careless dragon tender - it's the risk you take when your dragon's life is secondary to the goal being pursued.

No - just that it can be nice to know the chances of something you trade (or gift) being allowed to die of neglect.

I don't quite see how this would remove an incentive to keep dragons alive...

No - just that it can be nice to know the chances of something you trade (or gift) being allowed to die of neglect.

I don't quite see how this would remove an incentive to keep dragons alive...

But we know that now. When an egg dies because it ran out of time then it just says that it died. The only thing this suggestion would seem to change is clarifying exactly how someone actively killed their egg.

As for incentives, it seems that people are saying that if the message was more clear (identifying bites, kill action, earthquake), then using those actions that are more socially approved of (which is mostly biting) wouldn't get in the way of gifting and trading as much. That means that, with the current ambiguity, there's an incentive there to do things that put one's dragons in harms way less often because it can impact how you're perceived as a dragon keeper.

I agree (again...) that this would be useful, as this suggestion has turned up at least once before. There are just too many gifting threads that only let people without dead eggs on their scroll apply for a gift, and enough people in the trades threads who only trade with people who don't have dead eggs, either.

As it is impossible to tell whether an egg simply ran out of time or was neglected on purpose, there can't be a message to indicate this. However, if the dead egg in question has a rather high view:unique view ratio, it's very likely that it was meant to be an ND experiment.

However, there is no way to tell (right now) how a killed egg got killed. Personally, I would feel unsure about trading with someone who uses earthquake or kill willy-nilly, yet I can understand how a newbie wants to try out EQ at least once - with the usual deadly results. Bite fails, IMHO, are excusable (unless the bitten egg was something rare with a good lineage or something rare that is not self-bred) because biting is the only way to make more vamps.

But we know that now. When an egg dies because it ran out of time then it just says that it died. The only thing this suggestion would seem to change is clarifying exactly how someone actively killed their egg.

As for incentives, it seems that people are saying that if the message was more clear (identifying bites, kill action, earthquake), then using those actions that are more socially approved of (which is mostly biting) wouldn't get in the way of gifting and trading as much. That means that, with the current ambiguity, there's an incentive there to do things that put one's dragons in harms way less often because it can impact how you're perceived as a dragon keeper.

No - if it was viewbombed it isn't your fault, for one thing - though how anyone could TELL.... but that WASN'T necessarily an experiment,

I have to agree with this. If I'm going to gift to a newer user, when I see dead eggs on their scroll, I'm assuming they're still getting the hang of things or didn't understand the consequence of one of the actions they used. If I am going to gift to an older user, when I see dead eggs on their scroll, I know they still know how to raise an egg, and the dead eggs aren't really going to make me think twice.

But I think when you're participating in a gifting thread and know you'll want something, then you can put in the effort to not use any of those actions for a while. As for trading, if you want to do that, you'll either have to trust you'll find a willing trading partner or you should put in the effort to not use those actions when you're looking for an important trade. owo

No - if it was viewbombed it isn't your fault, for one thing - though how anyone could TELL.... but that WASN'T necessarily an experiment,

Except that this suggestion does nothing at all for someone whose egg was viewbombed. From what I can tell, it's not even attempting to. This seems to just be about clarifying how someone actively killed their own egg.

Except that this suggestion does nothing at all for someone whose egg was viewbombed. From what I can tell, it's not even attempting to. This seems to just be about clarifying how someone actively killed their own egg.

True - as I said - there is no way to tell. sad.gif Which is hard on someone who was.

I don't see any harm in having something that notes how an egg died.

I felt bad about my one Vampire attempt. I have lots of healthy dragons, but that one little broken shell still depresses me just a bit. xd.png Which, I know is silly because they're pixels, but it does just a tad.

It would give me a bit of peace of mind to know someone can see I didn't kill it out of spite or something. That it was just an attempt to use a BSA that didn't work out.

i think there should be different sprites

like a egg that ran out of time could be on it's side and slightly collapsing

"unfortunately this egg ran out of time and died"

a vampire bitten egg could have tootholes

"unfortunately this egg was killed by a vampire"

a smashed egg could have the current sprite

regular sprite

earthquake could have a rock on top a now cracked egg

"unfortunately this egg was smashed during a earthquake"

but it would require a lot of sprite work

Edited by blockEdragon