LadyLuck777

Not All That Glitters Is Silver and Gold...

I like silvers, but since I have too many of each anyway, they aren't all that important to me. Hollies, eh, whatever. I have one, don't care for the drama of trying to breed another and keep it. Two NDs for my nice holly, and I will have every dragon besides a GoN (Which I don't really care about anymore anyway).

If it was a choice of what dragon I would have chosen if I had won the HM, then I would have picked the CB Holly. Why? Because I wasn't around for the original and will never get the chance to get a CB.

Still, Golds and Silvers ARE rare, and always will be (unless the Cave has another glitch again, where they were almost common.) Even Hollies are easier to breed than a Gold or Silver. Yes, you will only get another Holly over Christmas, but they will still produce a common egg during the off season. Golds and Silvers though? You are lucky to even GET a common egg out of a pairing, let alone a Gold or Silver egg.

Silvers are my favourite dragon. I just caught my 5th CB Silver and you know what? I am still trying to calm myself down, just like I was, the FIRST time I caught a CB Silver. Don't get me wrong, I was all giddy and over the moon when I caught my lone Holly this year, but when I catch a CB Metal...*faints* wink.gif

Silvers are my favourite dragon.  I just caught my 5th CB Silver and you know what?  I am still trying to calm myself down, just like I was, the FIRST time I caught a CB Silver.  Don't get me wrong, I was all giddy and over the moon when I caught my lone Holly this year, but when I catch a CB Metal...*faints* wink.gif

Is that the silver I saw in the Desert shortly after the hourly drop? I missed it, but that would have been my fifth CB silver as well.

On the top of my "If I could have any dragon" list would be a CB Holly, then a CB '09 Valentine and CB Tinsel would tie for number 2. I joined when the '09 valentines were available, but didn't know that they were a limited release so locked myself with commons.

I would certainly like a Neglected, but don't have the patience or the time to devote to getting one.

Metallics will always be highly valued (except in the case of them somehow reproducing at a higher rater than normal) and especially the CB's. ND's are an entirely different story as they are created with skill and timing that most players *Misha looks at herself* haven't had any successes yet with. So, in my case, I waited until I had something really nice to trade and now I have a lovely IOU on one. In my case the ND was of higher value at that moment than what I was trading. A Holly has been on my list of "wants" since I've started playing here but, as with the ND, probably could only be gotten through a good trade.

I know it's hypothecially, but in this example I might go for the gold, because of the "random" holiday. Most Holiday dragons I have. Actually only the Hollie is escaping me year after year. SO:

For me it's Hollie. Of course because they are beautiful and I want one for my scroll so much, but also (when we talk about "value", because there is fricking no way to get one, except of when you're veeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyy lucky at christmas.

I finally got a successfull ND, but they're still second on my list.

As mentioned by many others it depends from person to person, but if I remember correctly Hollies, Neglected and Zombies are considered way rarer than Golds and Silvers and therefore "more desireable."

Maybe the popularity is a reflection of the thought that it's more likely to get a silver or gold, while hollies or neglecteds are more of a dream xd.png

I have one Holly that was gifted (Thank you Sarah!!!) and several Golds (Again, thank you Sarah!) and Silvers (Thanks to Kadoatie and the AP etal) but I have NO CB Metals - even after being here for so long. So I'd hop all over the CB metals, and I'm also in favor of more less-rare metals. The Pyrite is gorgeous as is the Copper!

Do NOT like the ND. i realize it's prime trading fodder.

If I had a choice... I'd jump on a CB Holly, however, if I was also offered a CB Tinsel.. I'd take the tinsel over the holly. Hollies are rather limited in the long run compared to a CB tinsel. investment wise, 2nd gen tinsel eggs have superior trade value than 2nd gen holly egg. I could trade 2nd gen tinsel eggs year round whereas I could only trade ONE holly once a year (assuming the dragon even produced an egg that year). Get one CB gold/silver egg in trade for a 2nd gen holly, or get the potential for several CB gold/silver eggs for several 2nd gen tinsels.

Hmm, that would be interesting: If one got to choose among these; CB Gold, CB Silver, CB Neglected, CB tinsel or any CB holiday you want (including Hollies), what would you pick? Huh, just like having a silver and a gold at the same hourly drop at the same time.

Let's see. Hollies in general are losing value (very slowly), but CB hollies are rare (today's holiday drops aren't the same as the ones in 2007). CB tinsels introduce a new line, so that would be interesting to see, but tinsels are no longer as valuable when they were released. CB Golds and CB Silvers are always wanted (but they seem to be breeding more). CB Neglecteds are rare, but they take timing and skill in which most players don't get... but with practice. With practice, it gets easy as cake to get it.

Noting all of these little details (Holly, tinsel's loss of value, Neglected's practice...) I'd say CB golds/silvers are the rarest so far.

I have one CB metal I traded for after almost 3 years now. I actually never even saw a CB gold in the cave, but maybe 3 silvers. Well, I'd still place a good-lined holly on number one and CB metals on number two. Once you've found out how to get NDs it isn't as hard as before (once you can ride a bike you most likely will always be successful afterwards, it's quite the same with NDs). Also 2nd gen offspring is still really rare. But metallics are generally bad for me, I got my last one in August and my breedings have failed every week since then (with about 15 metallics)!

For me, a pair of CB golds is most high on my list as the only adult gold I have currently is a bred female (the frozens are her babies that I kept). I already have two of each christmas (except for holly which I only have one) and all the other holidays and all the other breeds as well.

This. A pair of CB golds would be top of my list. Not least because it is impossible to get CBs of past holidays, but any from the day I joined - I can catch them myself, and have done - and lovely people gave me Hollies and sure - CB would be nice - but that would be a slap in the face for the people who gave me them - I don't think winning a prize kets you break the breed limit. smile.gif

In terms of sprite preference, I like female Golds, male NDs, and Yulebucks the most. In terms of "what would I choose if I had a choice of a free CB", I'd agree to go with the one with the least availability to me. AKA Holly. I can make NDs, I have my other holiday dragons (two of most of them), and I can trade for a CB Metallic if I so feel like it later, since NDs are apparently worth that much. tongue.gif

Given a choice, I will always choose a dragon with the ability to breed true. That renders Holidays virtually useless to me, and NDs absolutely useless, since they can't breed at all. I was probably the only person who was absolutely flabbergasted when so many honorable mentions chose a Holly for their prize. tongue.gif

Edited by Goslander

Given a choice, I will always choose a dragon with the ability to breed true. That renders Holidays virtually useless to me, and NDs absolutely useless, since they can't breed at all. I was probably the only person who was absolutely flabbergasted when so many honorable mentions chose a Holly for their prize. tongue.gif

No, I agree.

I love lineages and being able to create patterns or purebreds. biggrin.gif

I don't really see a huge appeal in Hollies, no matter how rare. There are really only a few Holiday dragons I really like.

They can look lovely in a short lineage, but since they can only reproduce themselves on very specific dates, past third or fourth generation, I don't really see the appeal personally.

I would rather have something like a Gold, which had a chance at least of reproducing itself with a mate so that I can create the lineages and lineage patterns I enjoy. happy.gif

I'd choose a Holly or a CB gold any day of the week. This is because then I can 2nd gen gold a lot of things, and Holly is worth plenty of CB golds for IOU's.

I've been here for a few years and I've only seen a total of three metallics in the cave or AP. I caught one, but the rest? Negative. I know there are tons of you here with pages of Golds and Silvers on your scrolls, but it's extremely difficult to start a collection of them. The one silver I caught had a terrible lineage and it took over a year to get it to produce another silver. I would choose them if I won any sort of contest here.

Sure there are other sprites I like more (except the new gold has hit my favorite list and I do -like- silvers) but rarity will make anything sought after. This is especially obvious with Hollies. No offense meant to anyone who loves them, but their sprite is just so dated.

Edited by shmeepie

Random holiday? No way. For starters, I already have the max of all of the Christmas dragons except for Hollies, so another one of those would either auto or force me to release one, neither of which is an appealing option.

If I got to pick, I might pick a Holly over the silver or gold - but that's in large part because hollies are basically impossible to get. Silvers and golds are a giant pain, but they're far more possible - they do drop in the cave (heck, I got a new CB silver on Thanksgiving) and they breed year-round so you have a chance of getting them in lotto (yeah, right) or trading for one as well as catching one in the cave. Hollies, on the other hand, are essentially impossible to grab from the AP during Christmas breeding (believe me, I tried), there aren't "enough" active breeders to find one willing to give you an IOU for Christmas time, I know of a couple of people whose IOU givers totally backed out on them at the last minute (LAME!), and they will never drop in the cave again.

Whether or not they are more sought-after, they are actually more rare and harder to get. But that's just one breed - the other Christmas dragons are easy to catch in the AP and heck, I couldn't even gift away my lovely second-gen Yulebucks because they were just too easy to catch. So no, I really don't think you can class "random holiday" as being as rare or as sought-after as a silver or a gold, especially if you want to specify a Thuwed silver or gold.

my eyes sparkle when I see vampires.

my eyes sparkle when I see things in the ap (rares) I can turn into vampires

Vampires

Hellfires

and splits are my glitter.

I get others for completeness sake and I won't turn down an offered gold/silver/kumquat.

On topic as to what I would pick....

Considering the holidays I have are special (one way or another) and I do have a complete set.

I likely would go for a thuwed gold or Silver. Likely gold as I have more decent lined silvers than golds.

Alternatively if I could get a CB alt. I would go for a CB Alt Vine and then re-breed my holly's mirror mate.

Edited by Starscream

Cos metallics are rarer, far less are bred compared to tinsels? I sometimes snag tinsels off the AP but seldom see golds or silvers there. I would kill for cb metallics. lol.

depends if i had a choice between any of the CB holidays id take it