LadyLuck777

Not All That Glitters Is Silver and Gold...

Some people are going to stare at this post and go, "WHAT??!!" but no, really, do you think Silvers and Golds are placed WAAAY too high on the 'most-sought-after' list? I like the newer Gold, don't get me wrong, but in my tiny opinion, NDs and Holidays should be higher.

Let's say for example, TJ had a contest, you won, and he told you that you could choose to get either a Thuwed Gold, Thuwed Silver, or random Holiday, who would jump at the Holiday other than me? Just curious... wink.gif

EDIT: The above is just something I made up, it's SUPPOSED to be hypothetical. tongue.gif

Edited by LadyLuck777

Didn't most pick Holly for the last two(?) Christmas giveaways?

I'd agree, as I have golds and silvers but no Holly. Technically, my most sought after is hellfire eggs from female hellfires x skywing CBs. (thank you people that helped!) But it's much easier to get those than a decent even-gen female silver, which I also want. So, if I was given a choice and could not get a holiday, I'd get a silver.

It's all really a matter of personal opinion. I love my Silvers and Gold but I don't see them as "the best dragons ever". I think the only reason they're on the sought-after list is because they're so hard to get a hold of or breed. If they were as common as Whiptails, no one would want them because everyone could get them. It's kind of like what happened to Tinsels. Everyone wanted them when they first came out. Now you can hardly give them away unless they're a really low generation.

If he had a contest, I would probably ask for a Gold simply because I already have all the Holiday dragons. XD

Purple Dragons, for me, are what holds the title of most sought after. Ever since they added that BSA, I can hardly find any CB ones. I've been collecting them since I joined and I really wanted to make a long purebred lineage. To me, Purple Dragons are as hard to find as the other rare dragons. I've seen ONE CB purple in the caves in the last month. D:

Edited by MysticTiger

It depends person to person. I'd obviously place a much higher value on a nicely lined or even caveborn Gold or Silver than, say, a ribbon dancer, snow angel, yulebuck, or whatever this year's christmas dragons are called. I'd prefer a "good" gold or silver over all the valentines dragons that I conveniently missed. The only holiday I'd pass over a gold/silver for is a Holly, and people are already doing that with the contests.

To me, it's:

Holly

Neglected

Gold/Silver

Holidays I don't have [V-day]

It depends on the Holiday. If it was a chance to get a CB holly, I would certainly take it over a gold of any lineage, or lack of. However, I for one love the new gold sprites, the male in particular, so I love them regardless of rarity. The only reason I would pick a holly over a gold is simple availability. I can get a CB gold any time of year(though it may be difficult), but a holly is something you can only get one week out of the year, and CBs are only possible in a giveaway, IF there ever is one where you can pick what you want.

Well, I have a Holly, ND, and all of the other Holidays, but I don't have a male CB Silver or a Female CB Gold, so for me those two would take priority.

The thing with holidays is that on their release they are pretty easy to get if one is just here.

Personally, I think the solution to the "not all that glitters is gold/silver" question is to release more metals that aren't rare. wink.gif

For me, a pair of CB golds is most high on my list as the only adult gold I have currently is a bred female (the frozens are her babies that I kept). I already have two of each christmas (except for holly which I only have one) and all the other holidays and all the other breeds as well.

The only reason I would pick a holly over a gold is simple availability.  I can get a CB gold any time of year(though it may be difficult), but a holly is something you can only get one week out of the year.

That's a good point... Never thought of that one.

It's supposed to be more of a 'hypothetical' question and not so serious, guys... wink.gif

Edited by LadyLuck777

Oh, dear.

I love Silvers because they're so dang beautiful! But if I had to choose in a contest...I would probably pick a Sweetling or a Rosebud because I don't have them. I always have the chance to breed a Silver or Gold, but until I have a Sweetling or Rosebud I can't breed them for more. xd.png

I wouldn't even pick an ND or a Holly. Not very fond of them, although I might take the Holly so I could gift Hollies. :3

I agree, the exclusive available timespan for holidays is what makes them so much rarer. As the only holiday I don't have a specimen of is the holly, that's probably the only one I'd go after. (If I could get another CB pumpkin, that may also sway me.)

But I've been dying to see the new golds in the cave ever since I first laid eyes on them in their progress thread, so I think I'd scramble all over them like a raccoon on a trash can if I could. Seriously, the new ones are so pretty that if they were commons I'd probably try to make an army of them to rival my electrics! Plus I could use a female CB for the Freezerbutt project.

I also agree that we could totally use some common metals. I know there are a couple on the completed list, and I'd love to see them get released, particularly the pyrites and the zincs. (In fact, I personally think it would be hilarious to release the pyrites in a flood on April Fool's Day. I'm so evil. xd.png)

I know of several people who dislike NDs, and I'm sure there are many more. Of course NDs are highly sought after, but whenever they're on a wishlist or something they're usually under a list that says "I can dream, right?" or something along those lines. And the reason people here don't talk about them much here is that discussion is limited, and it's a far-off goal for so many to have one that there isn't much point in talking about it.

. . . That probably didn't make much sense, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that to many, NDs are more valuable than Golds or Silvers, but you just won't see most of them talking about it.

And as for Hollies? To be frank, I don't like them. I came around a couple years after their release and they just don't fit into the site for me. Yeah, I'd love one, and yeah, they're DC history, but to be honest I wouldn't get more than two even if there wasn't a limit.

That said, I'm not a metallic dragon hoarder or anything close. My goal is five Golds and, say, seven Silvers. After that I'll only breed to give away or for trading. But since metallics are so hard to get a hold of, I'd jump at any chance to get one, simply because I don't have my quota. And a lot of other people don't either.

To me, Purple Dragons are as hard to find as the other rare dragons. I've seen ONE CB purple in the caves in the last month. D:

Don't give up, I've seen them on occasion and two earlier today.

I'm only missing a Holly for the holiday eggs and a lovely person here has promised me one this christmas so I'd definitely jump at the chance of more golds and silvers. I have a male and female of each just now, and none have ever bred.

Personally, I love all sorts of dragons, and gold and silver are not an exception, but I don't really care about having CB metallics. The only thing that bothers me is the ratio that doesn't allow them to breed that often, I use their eggs to help my sister out (she's short on metallics, especially silvers), or trade for something I need more. I finished my collection of both metallic species, and I don't need any more of them. smile.gif

That said, I'm not a metallic dragon hoarder or anything close. My goal is five Golds and, say, seven Silvers. After that I'll only breed to give away or for trading. But since metallics are so hard to get a hold of, I'd jump at any chance to get one, simply because I don't have my quota. And a lot of other people don't either.

*nods* I didn't think about that either. Another good point, I love the way this discussion is going. smile.gif

If I had my pick....

CB Gold would be top, just because I really do like the new models. I know a lot of people don't, but I think they're lovely.

I don't care for Silvers much. They're pretty, just not to my taste.

If I could choose any Holiday dragon? My top three would be....

1. Black Marrow - I love the look of them

2. Sweetling - I would love a few pinks to breed with my current pinks for a nice Pink/Sweetling line.

3. Pumpkin - they are just super cute. xd.png

I can get Vampires from the AP and Biting, so I don't need those. I honestly don't care for most of the Christmas ones. They are beautiful, but I just don't care for 'Christmasy' color schemes. xd.png That's why I didn't bother to get two Winter Magi. They are very nicely done, I just don't care for their colors as a personal preference.

I would pick gold or silver only because I don't have any sad.gif and the sprites are REALLY nice!

I really really adore Silver and Golds. The Silvers have always been some of my favourite sprites, and the rebooted Gold have taken a dragon I was 'meh' about and made it epic, in my mind. That said, I don't think they're that tough to get. I've got plenty of silvers, due to patient breeding, and while that male Gold has still eluded me, I'm sure to get it eventually.

If I was offered that choice- its a tough one. I don't think I'd go with the Silver or Gold Thuwed, for reasons already stated, but also because I don't care much for lineages. (That said, Thuwed is somewhat special, and the offspring would certainly be wonderful trading fodder). I've yet to get a Holly, and want one for collector's value, but don't care much for the sprite. I think I'd prefer another of one of the Holiday dragons I really love: maybe a Yulebuck to freeze, or another Sweetling.

(I love the Halloween holidays, especially Black Marrows, but since there are no scroll limits, I'm not too worried).

Also, still trying to get me a neglected.

Edited by Completely Different

I used to be all "MEH" about metallics and didn't pay attention to them sprite-wise. That is, until I caught my first and only Silver, saw how neat the male sprite was, and all the personality he's got going for him. Now I'm "i can has Silvers?" like so many others =o Can't believe how hard I fell for them in such a short time.

Out of the options listed, I'dunno what I'd pick. Don't care much about lineages and would pick a CB metallic over a 2nd Thuwed, most likely.

I'm not really too keen on neglected and i have all the holidays save for hollies so my focus the rest of the year is metals. once christmas rolls around though holidays take priority. if it came down to choosing what i wanted for a prize, assuming i didn't have some nice hollies already, i would pick cb golds or silver. i have a handful myself but they do make excellent gifts and i know of some deserving people that either have like 1 or 2 total for over 500 dragons, or don't have any at all.

I think it's a kind of apples and oranges thing as far as Holiday breeds vs. all year obtainables.

CB holidays are (generally speaking) easy to grab on their respective holiday, but then you can never get another CB of that breed from then on (except for the contest/raffle). So rarity with them goes from "common' to "almost no chance ever" within a day. But, by the same token, it's not prohibitively difficult to find 2nd gens of most Christmas dragons at this point - with the exception of the Holly. Which is why I think that most people that won HM in the contest in 2010 chose CB Hollies - because it's both almost impossible to get CB, and can also be hard to find an egg of a preferred lineage makeup.

However, the chances of winning an HM is rather miniscule, so I think it can be kind of hard to compare them in everyday value, which is where the ranking of CB metals comes in. If we compare bred Hollies, NDs, and CB Golds and Silvers, then yeah, the CB metals are probably going to hold up well because the population of Hollies is quickly increasing, more and more people are making NDs (just saw two in a hatchery), whereas the CB Gold and Silver population may fluctuate with ratio adjustments, but it's not something that is going to shoot up like the Hollies, or that people can make on their own, like the NDs.

One of the other reasons I think that they hold their value is because of the value of their offspring. The popularity of lineages has means that dragons are often judged on, not just the lineage they have, but the kind they can build. In that respect, CB metals beat out a lot of the bred Holidays available, and certainly the NDs (I wish they could breed so bad xd.png ). I think that this is supported by the fact that 2nd gen Hollies are still worth far more than one CB metallic.

Honestly, what surprises me most about CB metallics, is the idea that Gold and Silvers have the same value. I don't get that one at all. lol

I tend to base which dragons I collect on which sprites I like, so I don't know that I'd go for the metals first. (Considering which dragons I can breed good trading material with is another matter...) However, since they're SO hard to get -- I've only seen a CB silver 2 times, and a CB gold once, and that's with a TON of Cave-stalking -- I'd probably choose one over a holiday that I'm nearly sure to get, or already have.

On the other hand, if I could choose ANY dragon at all, I'd want a CB Black Marrow male over a CB metal any day. If only! And I'd prefer to have a CB Holly just for the chance to make people happy with its offspring; not just seasonals at Christmas, but 2nd-gen commons from Hollies to help other people with their lineages, all year long. biggrin.gif The same goes for a CB Tinsel. After that, I guess I'd probably like a CB Silver. I do like the new Golds, and would like to have a couple on my scroll eventually, but they're not as high on my list as those others. While I'm in La-La Land, here, I'd also prefer a CB spriter's alt of a Ribbon Dancer, Winter Magi, or Sweetling to a CB Metal (even assuming they were equally available). That would rank below Holly and above Tinsel and Silver.

EDIT: I'm still not sure if I'd even want a ND, ever. They're so sickly and sad and mistreated! I want to feel like I take good care of my dragons!

Edited by Kelkelen

well i have all the holidays and made neglecteds, so i'd take the cb gold (golds are amazing now, imo). i don't like hunting in the cave as much as i did so...

but it's whatever people think is most valuable. people place value on a dragon depending on how hard a type of dragon is to get (mostly). some people don't have the internet, fast reflexes, and the large amount of time to catch a cb metallic; as well as some people don't have the patience or the secret into making neglecteds. as for holidays, they are only once a year for a week or less...so the value comes from that.

i don't know much about 2nd gen. thuweds, but i figure the list is pretty long for those.

edit: typos.

Edited by lightningsky

I would take a Holly before a metal because I would love to be able to share the wealth at Christmas and who knows if or when you are ever going to get offspring off of a metal to share with folks. I also tend to prefer neglects to metals, but that's just me.

EDIT:  I'm still not sure if I'd even want a ND, ever.  They're so sickly and sad and mistreated!  I want to feel like I take good care of my dragons!

I used to kind of feel this way, too. Then I started experimenting and realized that I spent waaaaaaaaay more time on the dragons I was "neglecting" than on the ones that grew up right on the dot. xd.png