TwilightMoonDragon

Roleplay Museum/Graveyard?

I think we've all been in this situation- the sad moment in which your favorite Roleplay dies. What will happen? Will you lose your friends? How about the valuable moments in the RP? Will they be gone forever?

I have been thinking about this. I looked at the Wilderness page in DC, and it's useless other than giving people something to wonder about.

So why can't there be another section in Roleplays? Itll be like the wilderness page- you can't post in the Roleplays, but just see the plot evolve and twist and turn its way around the characters.

When the mods are about to close the topic, they could reply in the RP "Unfortunately, this RP has died. Would you like to add it to the Roleplay Museum/Graveyard?" and you answer yes or no.

The RP would be locked, of course. ^^ It would show how many replies it had, and what people has RPed there.

Thoughts?

It seems a bit unnecessary. Roleplays die when no one is interested in them anymore, whether it's due to outside occurrences, absentee partners, a bad plot, or simply because it was backed into a corner. And saving all of those dead roleplays would take up unnecessary space on the forums. If a plot is so fantastic that you'd want to re-read it, you'd probably be better off saving it to your own computer.

(Also, in my opinion roleplays are much less fun to read than they are to write in. Especially for people who are sticklers for grammar and spelling, such as yours truly).

Excuse me, Jackal. There is no need to be offensive. I'm typing on my IPhone and auto correct may kill my posts.

But isn't it more fun to capture dragons rather than stare at them?

I do like this idea; I know I've had to go away for a while and left my DC role-plays because of this absence. When I came back, I would have loved to look and see if anybody was willing to continue them with me... only to find them deleted. So I just gave up.

If they had been moved here, I would still be role-playing on DC.

Excuse me, Jackal. There is no need to be offensive. I'm typing on my IPhone and auto correct may kill my posts.

Wait, what? Where was I being offensive? I wasn't referring to YOU, specifically, nor did I imply that you had bad spelling or grammar. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Personally I don't think this is needed. I enjoy RPing, and I always save RPs in word documents because in my opinion they are worthy stories in their own right. If an RP that's dead means that much to you, just save it into word instead of leaving it on here to clutter up forum space.

I mean, I only RP with one person, and the number of dead RPs we have lying around would take up a formidable amount of data. I imagine the amount of dead RPs an entire forum-section of RPers is generating is even crazier, so I just think this whole graveyard thing would be overrun fast... and, again, that's dead space on the forum that could be saved on your own computer instead.

The only reason I can see in favor of this is if mods are prone to closing dead RPs without warning--in which case I'd still say having mods post some type of warning of closure a week in advance or something'd still be better than the other thing.

Many forums have archives. My only problem is the lag it may cause. I've never really understood archives, but I wouldn't mind having one either.

We don't really close without warning. It's common knowledge that we close after:

1. Request of the OP

2. Delete it if hasn't been posted in in a month (only exception to this is the DC RP forums because it's already slow)

Believe me when I say the RP section would get filled up fast if we didn't clean it, especially the freeform section.

That being said, I'm not against having an RP archive, or I can talk to the other RP mods about increasing the length it takes for an RP to be deleted, giving more time for it to be revived. If the last one were to be the case, which is more likely than adding another subforum (which I have no power to do anyway), what length of time would you guys see as reasonable?

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot to mention just because the RP is deleted does not mean it is unrecoverable. Actually, an RP can usually be recovered several months after you see it disappear, if you take the time to PM an RP mod and ask if they can find it. That's not always the case; it depends on when TJ cleans out the Trash section, but just cause it disappeared from view does not mean it's gone. Feel free to PM me anytime you would like to see if you can resurrect an RP and I'll let you know if it's possible.

Edited by Walker

Bump

I am horribly interested in feedback on this~ Can't change anything without feedback.

Wait, what?

Aren't threads irrecoverable from trash? I was told this a long time ago after the original gold wyvern had to be put there to stop drama, and the mod who informed me discovered that she was completely unable to remove the thread from trash and put it back in requests.

Or has that changed?

Edited by Lythiaren

Mods got the ability to move threads out of trash a while ago. However, if the thread was deleted before they could move it out, then it would have been irrecoverable. Or it may have just been before us average mods could move topics out of trash.

It used to be only globals could, but we didn't know that until Terri realized she could do it, I believe.

My opinion might not be all that valid since I don't use the roleplay area, but I don't really think that an archive is necessary. Walker has already explained above that threads aren't closed without warning, so I think that in most cases, RPs that are interesting and involve a lot of people and are the kinds of things that people would want to see in an archive wouldn't end up just being removed anyway, since people would keep them going.

But if something finishes and people want to keep it, I think it should be their responsibility to save it to their computers or somewhere they can still access it later. Though I might not share this opinion with many people. tongue.gif The main reason I think this is because all the RP forums I've ever been on have always removed old topics pretty regularly and I've gotten used to saving things that I want to reference later on. smile.gif

But yeah, this isn't something that I really think is that necessary. There are a lot of other things I'd sooner see added to the site.

I know in unapproved I waited 30 days (give or take depending on how often a user has been posting elsewhere, etc.). For DC RPs, and Other RPs, I always wait a full 2 months, and sometimes as far as 4 months before throwing anything into the trash.

In Freeforms, because I tend to get PMs from members asking me to clean out the clutter (x3! Or my own obsessive compulsion), I clean out around every 30 days to 45 days.

However, I haven't needed to do any of this in a while, and I don't know whether it is someone beating me to it, or simply threads being that active.

However, I have no problem with a roleplay archive, if that is what some people want. I, personally, do not see the point in it, since generally I find roleplays to be memorable, and I remember things on my own, or save those that I want to keep... I also backup almost everything that I write.

But, just because I wouldn't use it doesn't mean that others wouldn't.