XxdragicexX

Global Warming.

End of ze world?

Lol, yes. Nostalgia from pre-youtube days of the internet.

I remember like 10 years ago, when global warming was something a lot less people knew about, I was reading an article about Hydrogen powered cars and thought it was the best idea ever. Uses water, doesn't pollute, looks all advanced and uses science... everyone was going to be trading in their cars for one.

Wellp, needless to say I do not own a hydrogen powered car. Back to the drawing board.

Lol, yes. Nostalgia from pre-youtube days of the internet.

I remember like 10 years ago, when global warming was something a lot less people knew about, I was reading an article about Hydrogen powered cars and thought it was the best idea ever. Uses water, doesn't pollute, looks all advanced and uses science... everyone was going to be trading in their cars for one.

Wellp, needless to say I do not own a hydrogen powered car. Back to the drawing board.

Well the reason is because hydrogen has to be pumped into the car at a specified pressure for it to work. There are only about a few thousand hydrogen refilling stations for people that test out the car. Right now, Gas powered cars still dominate because its a cheap easier way >.>

Yes in the time of the dinosaurs it was mostly made by volcanic activity and burping algae. But there hasnt been a supermassive volcanic explosion in millions of years. Yes, there is one in Yellow Stone, but the last time it erupted was eons ago. I know that volcanic eruptions happening today chip in a part of the global warming, but that chip is probably like 5%. We humans probably make 70-80% of that circle. Other is made by farts and other pollution.

You don't always need geological or biological activity to cause the earth to warm or cool.

The earth goes into different phases with it's orbits and axis tilts. That's more so what causes ice ages and long periods of warmth. The last ice age was 10,000 years ago. If you look at the geological clock, it wasn't that long ago. We are still emerging from it, so thinking that it's natural for the earth to be warming isn't that ludicrous.

And on a side note... I'm fairly disappointed we don't have hydrogen cars. Many experts said we were suppose to about now. Unfortunately, hydrogen fuel cell refills aren't distributed widely enough for people to even show any interest.

Edited by Daydreamer09

I agree with daydreamer. Scientists have proved that we are warming and also our co2 dumping isn't helping the case of warming.

I agree with daydreamer. Scientists have proved that we are warming and also our co2 dumping isn't helping the case of warming.

Where in the world did you get the idea that putting millions and possibly billion tonnes of Co2 into the air every year doesn't affect global warming? Look at the temperature difference from the start of the industrial age, and now. HUGE difference. Look at the temperature before that, its a lot colder than it is now.

Where in the world did you get the idea that putting millions and possibly billion tonnes of Co2 into the air every year doesn't affect global warming? Look at the temperature difference from the start of the industrial age, and now. HUGE difference. Look at the temperature before that, its a lot colder than it is now.

That's not at all what they said?

The earth is actually getting gradually colder...

Also did you know that one volcano puts out more Co2 than every car in the world burns in a year? It's not like the earth can't adjust to it. In fact there are times when there were so many volcanoes going off the sky turned black over most of the world...and we are still around tongue.gif

Also the earth was never always hot. Remember we had ice ages? Parts of the earth may have been hotter than they are now but they were also colder. The earth has always gone in cycles.

definitely real, Massachusetts had absolutely no snow this year >.< made me sad sad.gif

While I also think global warming is real, the lack of snow is not likely a result of it.

While I also think global warming is real, the lack of snow is not likely a result of it.

Some people have said it is so. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/s...ast-724017.html

"According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said."

That was in 2000, a few years before 2010-2011's quite snowy winter.

"Heavy snow will return occasionally, says Dr Viner, but when it does we will be unprepared. "We're really going to get caught out. Snow will probably cause chaos in 20 years time," he said."

There's still ten years left for this prediction. Any British out there think in ten years you will be so utterly unware what snow is like that you will be caught totally unprepared for it?

Edited by Princess Artemis

There's still ten years left for this prediction.  Any British out there think in ten years you will be so utterly unware what snow is like that you will be caught totally unprepared for it?

HA! We're like that now!

Snow is never guaranteed here, we had heavy snowfall last year but none this year. Though in the past we've had snow in February/April time. To use snow fall as a measure of Global Warming though you'd have to look at it over hundreds of years, not from only a couple.

Edited by Chiaki

people always say what about your children save the planet for them i dont plan on having any so i dont care but yes i think its real all the same

people always say what about your children save the planet for them i dont plan on having any so i dont care but yes i think its real all the same

How egocentric of you.

I'm pretty tired as I write this but I figured I'd chip in my two cents.

Climate change is a real thing and happens both due to natural causes and as a result of the way we, as sapient creatures, interact with the earth. People with fish tanks or terrariums have a very small scale understanding of how ecosystems function, and how when elements within the tanks tip other changes cascade. There are ways of responsibly managing these mini ecosystems that are more beneficial to the lives of the inhabitants than others. For example, in a closed tank system ammonia would build up and kill my goldfish if I chose not to intervene with water changes and eventually the fish would die. Depending on how good the biological filtering is in a tank even that can be forestalled, too. However, even though it is the natural terminus of most partially filtered tanks, I still have a responsibility to act.

What will happen without our intervention is not always one in the same with what ought to happen. We must cultivate our garden. That mandate comes through us both from science and from God.

tl;dr - Global Climate Change is a thing, dawg. That doesn't even bear arguing. What do we do now to do right by us and right by this world?

EDIT - Looking back a lot of this discussion has been relatively unsophisticated. Would it be alright if I requested we be a little more, hmmm, critical in our discussion? I love talking about this kind of thing and I feel like we've gotten off track with insults and unsubstantiated claims (Guilty of that one, myself.)

Edited by Marrionetta

I hope it is realized that Global Warming doesn't mean that the world is getting hotter necessarily. It also means that the climate becomes unpredictable and chaotic.

What will happen without our intervention is not always one in the same with what ought to happen.  We must cultivate our garden.  That mandate comes through us both from science and from God.

As long as it is understood that we, as creatures in the garden, do not and cannot understand nor control nearly so much as we would if the garden was a terrarium of which all constants were ones we controlled, then yeah. We can manage some things, manage our affect on them, but we're not going to be solely responsible for another Warm Period or Little Ice Age. Given how little we seem to collectively understand those events, it's just as well.

How would you like to speak on the topic? Do you wish to discuss the topic at hand, "real or fake" and its correlate, "how bad"? If not, perhaps request a topic change or simply go on discussing what to do about a given?

Edited by Princess Artemis

Some people have said it is so. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/s...ast-724017.html

"According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said."

That was in 2000, a few years before 2010-2011's quite snowy winter.

"Heavy snow will return occasionally, says Dr Viner, but when it does we will be unprepared. "We're really going to get caught out. Snow will probably cause chaos in 20 years time," he said."

There's still ten years left for this prediction. Any British out there think in ten years you will be so utterly unware what snow is like that you will be caught totally unprepared for it?

This winter has been warmer than last year but last year Texas had the most snow ever recorded. We even had a white Christmas...something that hasn't happened in a LONG time. If the world is warming wouldn't it stay warm every year?

This winter has been warmer than last year but last year Texas had the most snow ever recorded. We even had a white Christmas...something that hasn't happened in a LONG time. If the world is warming wouldn't it stay warm every year?

Which is why a lot of people prefer to say global climate change, as it is less misleading.

While you and I may be experiencing whiter winters, those used to whiter winters are experiencing drier winters. :3

Also did you know that one volcano puts out more Co2 than every car in the world burns in a year? It's not like the earth can't adjust to it. In fact there are times when there were so many volcanoes going off the sky turned black over most of the world...and we are still around

Waaay off. Even cement production has a CO2 output greater than all the active global volcanoes put together.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/climate.php

“Human activities, responsible for a projected 35 billion metric tons (gigatons) of CO2 emissions in 2010 (Friedlingstein et al., 2010), release an amount of CO2 that dwarfs the annual CO2 emissions of all the world’s degassing subaerial and submarine volcanoes (Gerlach, 2011).

[…]

The 35-gigaton projected anthropogenic CO2 emission for 2010 is about 80 to 270 times larger than the respective maximum and minimum annual global volcanic CO2 emission estimates. It is 135 times larger than the highest preferred global volcanic CO2 estimate of 0.26 gigaton per year (Marty and Tolstikhin, 1998).”

China and India combined have been putting online roughly 2 coal-fired power plants each week.

If the world is warming wouldn't it stay warm every year?

No, but it is being masked by global dimming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011...na-coal-climate

“The huge increase in coal-fired power stations in China has masked the impact of global warming in the last decade because of the cooling effect of their sulphur emissions, new research has revealed.”

I do believe in Global Warming but I must say that it is not entirely our (human) fault.

We are still living in an ice age. An ice age is technically a period of time when there is ice at the caps. But whether these are melting because of us or because of nauture is a dubious one. I think that it is a mixture of reasons, but either way we need to sort it out.