JadeHeartOfFire

Dark Apocalypse

"Look at this place...it's so...dead..." ~ Private Karianne Danielsen, 2192

Story

(Note: This roleplay is meant to be a cross between the video game series Fallout and the webcomic Romantically Apocalyptic.)

The year was 2140, a time that seemed great to the American people. The economy flourished, they actually managed to get some competent leaders, and they all agreed on a national system that worked. However, while everything seemed peaceful on the surface, the government was quietly dealing with brewing conflict over power sources, hoping to end the problem before fighting broke out. Unfortunately, the problem soon went global as the world's energy sources slowly depleted. The result of this energy crisis was an increasing scramble by all of the advanced, industrialized nations to secure the few remaining supplies of untapped petroleum around the world. Ultimately, a series of military conflicts driven by this hunger for natural resources consumed the planet. As the United Nations tried with little success to keep the peace, many of that organization's member-states pulled out, and within two months of the outbreak of what was soon called the Resource Wars, the United Nations was disbanded. Many smaller nations went bankrupt in the ensuing conflict as their economies collapsed due to the increasing shortage of fossil-fuels. Within two years, threats of nuclear war leaked from enemy countries, and many of the rich invested in fallout shelters; radiation resistant hotel-like buildings buried in the ground. Those who could not afford it attempted to build their own.

It is not known who launched the first nuclear weapon that precipitated the conflict. The nuclear exchange lasted for only a brief eight hours, but was unbelievably destructive and reshaped the climate of the world even as it caused the fall of most of human civilization everywhere across the globe. More energy was released in the first moments of the Great War than all of the previous human conflicts in the history of the world combined. Entire mountain ranges were created as the ground buckled and moved under the strain of the cataclysmic pressure produced by numerous, concentrated atomic explosions. Rivers and oceans around the world were contaminated with the resulting radioactive fallout released by the relatively low-yield nuclear weapons used by all sides, and the climate changed horrifically. All the regions of the Earth suffered from a single, permanent season once the initial dust blasted into the atmosphere by the nuclear explosions had settled - a radioactive, icy wasteland.

It's been over fifty years since that time. Outside of the fallout shelters, there is very little life. A few towns of people who survived in their own shelters have sprung up, though many of these people are somewhat deformed from the radioactivity. Gas masks and protective gear are required if anyone wishes to safely travel outside of the fallout shelters, and because of this, the remains of militaristic groups are really the only people that can travel freely without risk of radiation poisoning. Unfortunately, food and supplies are running low in the camps without military support, causing outsiders to begin raids on the shelters. To counteract this, the military has decided to destroy every civilian who isn't a shelter dweller, believing the raiders to be dangerous and useless to the hopefully eventual reestablishment of the world. However, the raiders aren't going to go down without a fight...

Character Types

Shelter Dwellers

Everyone who lives inside the shelters were either there when the bombs fell because of their wealth or were born there, and because of this, have been virtually untouched by the fallout. They know little of the outside world and live posh, effortless lifestyles, governed by the military. They have everything that they would ever need, from clothing to food, from gas masks to comfortable living spaces.The biggest shelter in the world, The Manhattan Haven, is about the size of the Empire State Building. While their lives until this point have been simple, some of the smaller shelters have been having to fend off raiders, who have been running low on supplies, which is what inspired the recent massacres. This type of character can be of any age or gender and are all in favor of killing the raiders.

Raiders

These are the people who were unlucky enough to have not have made it into a properly made shelter. They live in small, often ungoverned towns that are scattered over the icy countryside. Their shelters have long since collapsed from being poorly made, so they live without any protection from the radiation. Without this protection, their lives are very difficult, having to deal with people dying constantly from the radiation poisoning, the cold, and famine from their lack of ability to grow food. Because of this, they have began raiding the shelters for food and other supplies. Some of them have been deformed from the radiation, often taking on almost inhuman-looking forms, which adds to the fear inspired by their threats of raids. After hearing the news that some of the smaller villages had been destroyed by the military, many of the raiders banded together with nearby towns to form miniature armies of their own in order to protect themselves from meeting the same fate. This type of character can be of any age or gender and are all not in favor of killing the raiders (obviously).

Soldiers

The members of the military were either in the military when the bombs fell, or are shelter dwellers who were transported to military academies when they were teenagers. They live in military-owned underground shelters that are much like army bases. Of all of the groups, they are the only that can travel in the wasteland without getting hurt by the radiation, as part of their issued gear is everything that is required to survive in such conditions, such as gas masks and radiation resistant suits. Their job up until a few months ago was mainly to keep the peace among raiders, though many of the younger members slacked off and enjoyed exploring what is essentially one giant, empty playground. However, they recently received a new assignment: to systematically destroy every raider town they came across. This caused a split within the military, as a little less than half of them thought that it was immoral to kill thousands of innocent people. This type of character can be of either gender, but must be at least eighteen years old. They can be either in favor of killing the raiders, or not in favor.

Ghosts

These are the people who died during the nuclear fallout, though for one reason or another, they have not moved on to the after life. As they are no longer alive, they are not hurt by the radiation or cold, though are earthbound (However, they do have the ability to teleport short distances), meaning that they can freely travel, though it is not much faster than how a living person does. They can only be seen by certain people, however, they can manipulate inanimate objects at will. When the military began killing off raiders, many of the ghosts began helping one of the two sides by gathering information, or in some cases, helping in battle. This type of character can be of any age or gender and can either be in favor of killing the raiders, not in favor, or completely neutral.

---

Rules

1. All rules of DC apply.

2. No godmodding, powerplaying, Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu characters, chat speak, and please use brackets(-)]}-) for OOC. I know it doesn't seem necessary to say, but I'm not chancing with this.

3. You may only kill another person's character if they allow you to (please arrange this in PMs and also PM me once the deal is set so I know).

4. You must be an active poster, and please inform me if you're going to be away for longer than two days or if you have a schedule of when you can't be on (for example, if you always work on a certain night).

5. I have the right to say something to you if your posts are full of fail.

6. At least ten well-written sentences per post, please.

7. You can have as many characters as you can handle. I have the right to ask you to kill off one of your characters if you show that you can't handle the ones you have.

8. Please PM me character forms.

9. If you read these rules, put “The world is done.” as the subject for your PM.

10. Romance is allowed, but I will mess with you somehow if takes over your section of the RP.

11. I have the right to change/add rules at any given time.

---

Character form:

[B]Username:[/B]
[B]Character name:[/B]
[B]Gender:[/B]
[B]Age:[/B]
[B]Appearance:[/B] (Pictures are NOT allowed.)
[B]Personality:[/B]
[B]History:[/B]
[B]Character type:[/B]
[B]Side:[/B]
[B]Can you see ghosts?:[/B] (Write N/A if your character is a ghost. A simple "yes" or "no" is fine.
[B]Weapon:[/B] (Write N/A if your character is a Shelter Dweller or a Ghost)

Edited by JadeHeartOfFire

Welp, this actually is pretty much perfect; it's grammatically sound, it's got a good description of the world and its inhabitants... the only problem I see is that the plot might be a bit aimless, and there is no explicit starting point for the roleplay. To fix that, I recommend adding in a more pressing plot and explaining a bit more; deciding on a specific region for the roleplay, telling us a bit about how the new governments work, how the military works, etc. etc.

Wonderful! Approved. Have fun roleplaying!

I was just wondering, how much consistency are you sharing with Fallout here? Just the environment?

Edited by xatuman