Fortune86

Close Please ~ Died

Rhia Avon

Rhia gave a smirk as she heard the cries of the teacher behind her. It wasn't her business, so she ignored the beating. Why should I care about someone else's problems? Nobody cared about my issues. Smiling, she took a bite of her muffin, enjoying the chocolate taste. Up ahead there was the school in the distance, and Rhia frowned. That's right, I forget to grade those health tests... Sighing, she checked her pockets for the classroom key. It was there, firmly attached to her apartment key. She would have to get the tests and then grade them at home. Guess I won't be playing video games after all. She began to walk quickly towards the darkened school building. Unlike on the weekdays, the school was eerily quiet, and the darkness started to creep her out a little. Even though she knew she had nothing to fear, she still felt a bit scared to enter the darkened building. Rhia stepped on a twig, which snapped loudly and made her jump in surprise. Okay, calm down. She knew she shouldn't have watched those horror movies on Friday; no matter how cheesy they were, it scared her. Rhia went up to the front doors of the building and tried to find the keyhole, mentally cursing herself for not bringing a flashlight.

((Perhaps Rhia is in her office already? Maybe she comes out and runs into Vanye and the others?))

Rhia Avon

Rhia gave a smirk as she heard the cries of the teacher behind her. It wasn't her business, so she ignored the beating. Why should I care about someone else's problems? Nobody cared about my issues. Smiling, she took a bite of her muffin, enjoying the chocolate taste. Up ahead there was the school in the distance, and Rhia frowned. That's right, I forget to grade those health tests... Sighing, she checked her pockets for the classroom key. It was there, firmly attached to her apartment key. She would have to get the tests and then grade them at home. Guess I won't be playing video games after all. She began to walk quickly towards the darkened school building. Unlike on the weekdays, the school was eerily quiet, and the darkness started to creep her out a little. Even though she knew she had nothing to fear, she still felt a bit scared to enter the darkened building. Rhia stepped on a twig, which snapped loudly and made her jump in surprise. Okay, calm down. She knew she shouldn't have watched those horror movies on Friday; no matter how cheesy they were, it scared her. Rhia went up to the front doors of the building and tried to find the keyhole, mentally cursing herself for not bringing a flashlight.

((I totally missed this post D: I'm so sorry.

But Vang is right. By the time Vayne and co arrived she could already be inside at her office?))

((Could we please avoid using 'ignored' when referencing missed posts, as I highly doubt anyone here actually ignores poasts. -KM))

ON

Faye smiled at Natalya as they walked towards her little Punto in the carpark. "Remember, I work here - and this excavation never really closes down. Scientists are a strange breed; we've never heard of the words 'bed-time' or 'social life,'" she joked. "And yes, it still hurts - differently. I spent three years learning to walk on an ankle that wasn't fully formed, that couldn't accurately support my weight, and I still walk that way now. Imagine if you bent your ankle to one side and then tried to walk - that's the ache I currently have. Physically I don't doubt that it's fully healed, but I just need to remind my body how normal people walk."

OFF

-Post by Faye

Phoebe was about to answer the question of whether she wanted a lift home or not when a small, ragged dog caught her attention. It looked like it was homeless, or at least lost for quite a long time, with scratches and bruises covering it. She could easily imagine those wounds coming from fights with other dogs or cats, or maybe from the occasional hit after being caught in someone's backyard, and she felt a feeling of pity tug at her heart. Still, a homeless dog could be dangerous and so she sat very still as it approached, as to not scare it.

Her eyes caught the motion when Mr. Everfree held out a hand for the dog to smell, and she watched curiously as it came closer. It didn't seem very afraid, she decided, so it was most likely an abandoned dog used to living with humans. She couldn't help a little wince herself when the dog bit, but then she watched in astonishment as Mr. Everfree only chided the dog before making it let go of his hand. If that had been her, she would most likely have screamed and pulled her hand back. Then he proceeded to give the dog a cupcake. A cupcake.

Shaking her head a little as he seemed to adopt the dog as his own, she smiled. "That's the first time I've seen anyone deal with a stray dog like that." Her eyes went to the wound after the dog's teeth. "Though you'll probably want to get that looked at by a doctor, just to be sure it won't get infected." Her attention moved back to his face, and the smile came back. "As for a lift... It would be appreciated, but I don't want to bother you."

“Are-Are those people walking out of that site? I thought it was closed for today.” Turning her head to look at the excavation site, she frowned as she too caught the sight of two people making their way away from the site. "It's a little late, but I suppose it's not unreasonable that someone would still be there. I mean, there are guards, and some archaeologists prefer to work in the evenings and nights as that gives them the most peace..." She trailed off, before she resumed with a smile. "And there are those who lose themselves in work and don't realize how late it gets. I'm probably one of those."

((Fort doesn't ignore posts. ^^ She might accidentally miss them but ignoring an rp post is not in her repertoire.))

Natalya smiled at Faye's joke as they arrived at the car.

"Oh... Though, I suppose if you had suddenly started walking without a limp, people would notice?" She opened up the car door((assuming it's unlocked?)) and with one last glance at where couple and their dog stood she slid into the passenger's seat.

Natalya set the flashlight back down where she had seen Faye had take it from earlier while she waited.

~

Adriana raised an eyebrow.

"So, what can I do about this if we don't know where this...orb is?" she glance at the clock above the door before meeting Vayne's gaze. She shivered, there was definitely something different about him. She could see the familiar darkness there that she had welcomed into her life long ago. It was oddly chilling yet comforting at the same time...she glanced away and looked curiously at Zatch and Est.

Syth turned his head when she mentioned his dealing with the stray dog and chuckled.

“This guy’s not dangerous; he just needs a little bit of understanding. I think” he chuckled again. Turning toward his car, glad to have a valid reason why the two were at the dig site he unlocked his car and motioned to Phoebe.

“So where do you live?” Turning back he opened the back seat and moved away for the dog to get in. It paused, and then jumped headfirst. He smiled, and closed the door. He walked around to the other side and hopped in the driver seat.

“Somewhere straight ahead right?” he asked. He glanced down at his hand, remembering he had hurt it.

“Oh and could you pass me the bandages in the glove box.” He smiled, and put his keys in the ignition and put his seatbelt on and waited for her to get into the car before starting it.

((Aw, shame that this is already full. It looks interesting. Have lots of fun, guys! And I'm hoping it's not against the rules to post here.))

Edited by Silver_Voices

ON:

"Very obvious," Faye agreed with a chuckle as they climbed into the car. Faye set the cane down on the back seat with her backpack and brought the car to life. "So, where shall we grab food - Subway, or something from the garage? I'm not one for fast foods really, despite being a university graduate." The car slipped smoothly out of the carpark as she headed back into town. "Afterwards we'll head to the labs and see what we can find."

OFF

- Post by Faye

"Search for it."

Vayne moved through the other doorway and into the school's corridor. This was frustrating. The orb could be mere feet away and he was unable to tell.

He glanced up at the strange translucent bars across the ceiling. They looked similar to the strange torches he had seen at the police station.

"How do you light them?" he asked pointing up at the nearest one.

((Hey Fortune, do you think you have room to squeeze in one more person? I'm lonely and this seems to be the only active RP and it sounds interesting.))

Zatch didn't go in the door with Vayne and Est, instead he jumped up going to the roof first without detection. His greater strenght allowed him to easily reach his destination in a few leaps.

"Heh, this'll be far too easy now..." His dug his sharp canines into his lip in anticipation. He figred while they were on the first few floors, he could search the higher ones.

He went in through an open window into what seemed to be a classroom on the top floor. He decided to avoid the roof access door as it might have an alarm on it.

Now where would I hide an orb... Before he finished his thoughts, he saw a little orange light flash out of the corner of his eye. He looked and saw that it was just a cellphone that had been left behind. He then made his way over to the door silently. Luckily it was dark, so no one would be able to see him if he had to take any desperate measures.

He searched all of the classrooms on the highest floor without any luck.

Rhia Avon

Rhia looked up, completely startled. She thought she had heard voices. But that should be impossible! It was late at night, and she had locked the main door behind her. It must be my imagination... Rhia thought, and continued to shuffle her papers, trying to sort through them quickly. She wanted out of the creepy school building as quickly as possible. And then she froze. She heard the voices again. Someone was here in the school! Rhia dropped the papers, all thoughts about grading gone. What should she do? Rhia's hand went to her butterfly knife in her pocket, but that would be useless in the dark. She knew that the light box was just down the hallway... Rhia opened the door, and slipped outside. She tripped slightly, and the door slammed shut. She froze again, hoping that the sound went unnoticed. However, in a school like this, sound would be amplified. Rhia dashed for the light box, stumbling in the dark. She fumbled for the keys, and then inserted one into the box. It opened with a -clang!-, and Rhia pressed the switch. The lights all flickered on.

When the lights went on, Zatch knew there was going to be trouble.

What the hell? Are they talking down there or something? Are they really that stupid? Who the hell did they alert? Great... His eyes burned with anger. Fine, I'll do it myself. If you idiots get killed, it won't be MY fault.

Natalya smiled. "Subway is fine." she reached up and buckled her seat belt.

~

Following Vayne, Adriana held back laughter by smiling with amusement.

"Those "torches" are called lights Vayne." she walked over to the wall where the light switch was.

"Usually, if you look around you will see one of these. Flip the switch and the light will turn on." she said patiently, figuring that Vayne would probably need to know this later. She quickly turned as the light flickered on. Her eye narrowed onto Rhia. She had seen her before and quickly she remembered her name.

"Miss Avon." she said clearly.

"What are you doing here?"

((ninja'd....))

Edited by evangeline5432

ON:

It didn't take long for the pair to grab a couple of Subway sandwiches - despite it being Sunday, any fast-food joint worth it's calories had late Sunday opening hours. With sandwiches and bottles of drinks in hand Faye drove them over to the labratory, Faye devouring her own Sub in record time so that by the time they had reached the building she was brushing the crumbs off her lap.

"Don't worry about dropping crumbs," she assured her passenger. "The old girl needs a clean anyway."

The labratory in question was a small, rented building near the middle of town. It was nothing special, a standard warehouse-style place where the myriad of scientists had set up their temporary equipment - portable imaging devices, an ad-hoc geology lab and metallurgical analysis centre, and plenty of laptops and computers. Where there were not enough rooms thick plastic had been hung from the ceiling to create more 'private' spaces. Between this, the tents and on-site analysis centre at the excavations, and the school's own labratory, the dig team had about as much analytical power and equipment they could without actually purpose-building a centre here.

"Security here is the same as the dig; they may be a little suspicious, but I have access to this site." Faye explained as they pulled up in the small car-park. "And as you can see, people work late here too." Slipping her Coke into the backpack Faye got out of the car, cane and backpack in hand as she checked her ID card was clipped to her jumper.

OFF

- Post by Faye

Natalya thanked Faye and offered to pay the woman back while she gladly took the drink and sandwich. She ate the Sub quickly, but not fast enough to beat Faye. A few minutes after, she was krinkling up the wrap that had covered the Sub and putting it aside so she could throw it away later.

Natalya looked down and realized that a few crumbs had indeed fallen on her lap. With an amused smile she brushed them off when she opened the car door and stepped out. The young woman drew her sweater around her, took out her trash, as well as her untouched bottle of rootbeer.

"You scientists don't know what sleep is, do you?" she observed with smile. Shutting the car door behind her she looked at the building in front of her. She walked around the front of the car and dug her hands into her jacket pockets.

"What are we planning doing here?" she asked, glancing back at Faye.

((Sorry Starsea, but I don't think that would be very fair at the moment. I don't want either side getting bigger than the other and I've already turned down some people who wanted to join.))

Vayne watched as Adriana explained how to switch on the 'lights' and gestured to a strange little device on the wall. To his surprise the lights flickered on without her even touching the device and for a moment wondered if they were actived by will power, but turned when he saw yet another woman further down the hall. How many more intrusions?

Adriana spoke to her, so Vayne assumed they knew each other. He elected to stay quiet for the time being and see how she would handle the situation.

((If you've read Monkeyboy225 Jordan post, you should be aware that one of the orbs was given into his possession so he could study it. Just a reminder, because I figure the lap would have information about that assignment.))

Edited by Laura-Lana

((hi sorry i haven't been on recently. i've been in hospital.))

Est stood there hoping that he would be unnoticed or at least nobody would realise that he wasn't supposed to be there.

((If you've read Monkeyboy225 Jordan post, you should be aware that one of the orbs was given into his possession so he could study it. Just a reminder, because I figure the lap would have information about that assignment.))

((I saw. ^^

I am waiting for Darkshadow to answer. If she asks what they are doing there Adriana has a story. tongue.gif))

ON:

Faye laughed, a gentle sound that seemed to come naturally to her, making her appear just as young as she was. "You forget, we're the geeks who will stay up 'til four in the morning to carry out a raid in World of Warcraft," she reminded Natalya, her voice light with merriment as she waved them through the security checkpoint without incident. "And then up 'til seven in order to finish that assignment we were supposed to have written instead. Putting in a few extra hours on a Sunday because we've found a new metal is nothing unusual for us. Besides, pre-midday the excavation team are too busy actually excavating, and the archaeologists are getting all work up over what chicken-scratch they've found. We care about the what, not the why."

Entering the main doors to the labratory Faye led them through the corridors, lights dimmed in deference to the night schedule and less people being around. Perhaps Natalya would have been jumpy over the dim, quiet atmosphere but to Faye this was normal - this was home. She led Natalya a short distance down the main corridor, turned left at an intersection, then approached a door on the right which she swiped open with her card. "This room contains all the records of excavation material; this is probably the best start. We can see if anything orb-like has been brought in recently."

OFF

-Post by Faye

Natalya smiled with amusement. "Sounds about right."

With hardly a second thought, Natalya followed Faye into the building, blinking as her eyes adjusted to the dimness. She didn't really mind the quiet, it reminded her of the library. Even more so when they entered the room that held the records.

"Now this I can do." she said walking over to the files.

"We should start with the newer files since if something was found it would not have been long ago." After tying her hair back, Natalya pulled out some of the records and started searching through them.

((Kestra, are the records on a computer or files stored in a cabinet?

Meanwhile, Adriana just stands there staring at Rhia...?))

ON:

"Sounds good," Faye smiled, sitting at one of the computers at the main desk to the left of the room. "Anything brought in within the last forty-eight hours may not have been catalogued on the computers but will be in those files there. You can disregard any of the XXR files though - that deals with samples, not actual artifacts. I'll check for anything that would have been brought in prior to that - it may be that an orb was what sparked this whole dig after all."

OFF

-post by Faye

((*gets annoyed because she typed up the whole post then her iPod glitched!* x_X))

Natalya nodded in confirmation then she continued to pour over the records. When she finished reading one, she would go back to the desk and get a new one. After awhile, Natalya took a short break as she opened up her rootbeer and took a drink. She then put the bottle down and continued to read.

Natalya was about to put the file down when records talking about some mysterious globe caught her eye. There was a picture and a few names but Natalya had no idea if this was what Delucin wanted them to find. The girl walked up behind Faye and glanced over her should as she placed the file down in front of her.

"Is this what we are looking for?"