Fortune86

Close Please ~ Died

((I was being silly. I use to tease my British friends about driving on the left side of the rode on the right side of the car. Sorry.

The US are arguably the ones driving on the wrong side of the rode.))

Natalya glanced at Faye, the question caught her off guard.

"Sorry, I am really neutral in such things. Well, I believe that there was a god or maybe even gods...never really thought about it much. Why? What have they discovered?" she asked

looking out the windows. They should be able to see the temple any moment, it was big and hard to miss.

She glanced at Faye waiting for the teacher's answer with interest.

((I wasn't offended :~P -KM))

ON:

"The finding is potentially religious in nature; it seems to be a temple of ancient origin, so it could revolutionise our current understanding of religion, and the philosophy of human nature."

Pulling into the near-empty car-park Faye pulled up into one of the research assistant spaces, killing the engine as she reached behind her and pulled her walking cane off the back seat. Getting out of the car she went to the boot while she waited for Natalya to climb out, pulling out her backpack as well as the torch that usually stayed in her car. Handing the heavy-duty flashlight to Natalya Faye pocketed her own scratched torch and locked the car.

"I hope you don't mind doing a little bit of exploring; the chamber isn't too deep," Faye hoped.

OFF

-Post by Faye

((Ok, good. Scared me there for a second. happy.gif))

Natalya climbed out of the passenger's side of the car and looked at the temple that loomed before her.

"Wow," she said soft.

"I hope you don't mind doing a little bit of exploring; the chamber isn't too deep."

Natalya took flashlight in her hand. The metal felt cool in her palm and she looked at it while biting her lip thoughtfully. Finally she nodded.

"I guess I didn't come all this way to stand here and look at the place. Let's go." she said gesturing for Faye to lead.

Edited by evangeline5432

ON:

Walking past the night security staff, who accepted both Faye's pass and her reason for Natalya not possessing one, Faye set off for where the tunnel had spat her out after first visiting Delucin. Her weaker torch-light danced over the rocky walls until she found the familiar-looking crack - albeit in a different place to last time - and beckoned Natalya to follow her.

"It's a little weird to think that we may have only just scratched the surface of both dig sites," Faye explained as they made their way through the dark, deserted tunnel in an effort to keep the vastness and loneliness of the underground at bay. "And how little we now as well; how old these sites are, why they're here, what culture, their purpose...we need to find a reference point. And that's why I brought you here; I think I may have one."

OFF

-Post by Faye.

Natalya glanced nervously at the night watchman as she followed Faye inside the the temple.

"I suppose we will never properly know." Natalya shone the light ahead of them, banishing the dark from the immediate area.

She felt nervous but wonder and curiosity kept her from turning back. She lightly brushed her hand against her pocket and felt the reassuring lump of metal touch her palm.

What am I supposed to be able to do about it?" the girl asked.

Delucin was sitting on the podest once more, legs crossed in a medidative pose, eyes closed. He watched as Faye and Natalya made their way through the temple.

It didn't resist Faye any longer. She was his champion now and the temple reacognized her as such. In fact it would have even speed up her way to his sanctum if she wasn't in the company of Natalya, who still counted as an intruder though not an enemy.

None of Vaynes warriors could have entered even if Delucin had wished to grant them entrance.

Unheard by Natalya he told Faye which corridors to take to speed them up as much as possible under the circumstances.

Edited by Laura-Lana

ON:

Following Delucin's quiet commands Faye led Natalya swiftly through the tunnels, not answering that last question for a good minute as they instead bore down on the double doors that led to Delucin's inner sanctum. Finally they stopped before the carved door, and Faye turned to face Natalya, doing what she could to keep guilt off her face and out of her voice.

"Natalya...I need to keep an open mind on what you are about to see and hear. If it's too much, then you can walk away - but I have to ask that you don't tell anyone else." She offered the teenager a smile, and in her most convincing voice added, "I wouldn't want anyone finding out about this discovery until I've had a chance to have it properly assessed. You know how much damage rumours can do to an unconfirmed scientific discovery. And this one is...important."

With that, Faye turned and pushed the doors open for the second time that day.

OFF

-Post by Faye

Natalya followed Faye in complete silence, her knee had stopped throbbing on their trip to the temple and she was walking without a limp which made walking easier. She wondered how Faye could stand it...

When they stopped, she raised an eyebrow but nodded in agreement to what the teacher said.

"Ookayy..."

As the door opened, Natalya stared into the vast room beyond. She took a step forward and looked at the place with wonder though her expression turned to one of confusion when she saw Delucin. She searched through her memory. Did Faye have a kid? Not that anyone knew of. Natalya turned to Faye with slight distrust and worry.

"What is this?"

Having learned his lesson, Delucin had taken care to keep the light to a level that wouldn't be too hard on eyes which had gone through the darkness of the tunnel.

Despite having known they were about to enter he couldn't keep himself from squeeling in joy when his warrior opened the door.

"Faye. I knew you could do it!" Not able to contain his exitement, he rose from his meditative pose and then bounced down towards his two visitors.

He looked at Natalya with shininig eyes.

"This is the temple of Dawn. But since I believe you were rather asking about me..."

He gave her an impish smile

"I am - as I've explained to Faye- the avatar of everything that is good in the human heart. Though I've never seen you before a part of me knows you just as a part of you knows me, because you've always nurtured that which was bright and good in your heart and refused to give in to the darkness."

Natalya looked at Delucin with serveral emotions. She turned quickly and looked at Faye.

"Did Robby put you up to this? It seems like one of his cruel mockeries, he has always hated..." she trailed off. The girl had been about to say he had always hated the way she had always done what she thought was right. The boy mocked her for being different.

"I don't take you for someone who is a blindless sheep that would follow the masses." she looked at Delucin.

"I've never seen you at the school." she looked between the two.

"With all due respect Miss Faye, what on earth is going on?!" she asked calmly even though she felt anything but that.

She didn't know why but she wanted to believe whatever Delucin had to say but what he said didn't make a whole lot of sense. Natalya looked at both Faye and the strange boy waiting for someone to say something.

((Expect typos, I am now on the iPod))

Edited by evangeline5432

"No cruelty. Not from me." Delucin said softly. "What keeps you from trusting the voice in your own heart? Is it because I am too young to your eyes?"

Delucin crossed his arms and then he began change. Most notably was his size, because he was growing but his features became more mature too until he was a teenager not a boy any longer.

"Better? If not I can become a full grown adult for you. I prefer being a child, mind you, because in their innocence they have an instinctive understanding of right and wrong, the ability to dream and the abilty to trust."

Edited by Laura-Lana

She looked at Delucin with shock. Finding her voice she stepped closer to the strange young man, her gaze unwavering. Had her mind not been on other things she would have considered him quite cute. ((o3o))

"The ability to dream never goes, the abilty to believe in those dreams is what leaves most. That has not left me, however trust easily gained has. You have made your point though."

Questions flooded through her.

"Who are you? What do you mean avatar? What do you want from me? Why am I here?" in the time span of a few seconds a few of her questions had tumbled out of her mouth. She looked at Delucin with curiosity.

"What's your name?"

Syth sat up, he was beaten all over and he winced a little. His arm had broken glass sticking out of it and he was badly wounded. The bullies spat at him, and then walked away, while Syth merely stood up slowly. His legs wobbled a bit, but so far he was able to stand. He walked over and crouched down and grabbed his groceries, pulling out some ointment for his bruises. In a few moments, except for minor swelling in some areas, he looked as if he hadn’t just been in a fight. Putting the cream away, he returned to his arm and pulled out the glass and then pulled out a bandage and wrapped it around his arm.

“There, fit as a fiddle.” He smiled, testing his voice. He sounded a little shaken, and he was right to be. That had really beaten him hard this time. He sighed and headed home, depositing his groceries before going to his car and driving to the park in Nomtop where he would be able to rest in peace for a while, far away from those boys. He shivered as he left Hillen, as if leaving some kind of dark feeling behind him. He thought about it for a moment, and shuddered.

“I don’t really want to hurt those boys do I?” he asked himself. In truth, he wanted them to get some kind of punishment for hurting him so. But it wasn’t his right to punish people. And besides, he would feel immensely guilty afterwards. He sighed, as odds with himself.

“So let me get this straight brain. I want to punish them for hurting me, but I also don’t want to?” he parked the car and hopped out. Gazing around him he found a bench looking over the recent excavations, and sat there. He sighed, gazing at the sky, and closed his eyes.

“Maybe there is no answer. If I punish them, then I’m as bad as they are, and if I don’t, I’m a wimp. I guess the choice is: which one I could live with…” he layed back on the bench, gazing peacefully up at the sky.

“Probably the wimp option” he sat up a little and nodded to himself.

“I’ll be punched a lot, but at the end of the day I can’t really punish people can I? I’m a teacher, a role model, even if it kills me…” sighing, his mood further deepened. He turned his gaze back to the sky, and occupied his thoughts with the clouds and the wind for a while.

Edited by warewolves

He beamed at her knowing she was finally ready to listen. There were some advantages to being a teenager rather then a boy, Delucin reflected. One of them was that he could appricate Natalyas and Fayes beauty so much better.

"You can call me Delucin, if you like. It means 'from the light'. What an avatar is, hm... how to explain? Imagine the energy of every dream, hope, love, joy a human ever had being collected and given form. That is me. "

He smiled at Faye. "Appearances to the contrary, I am not a god. I was created by the good that dwells in human hearts and I am created for humanity. To nurture that which is best in your souls."

His smiled died and he looked solemn and a bit sad.

"But as you have known to your sorrow already there is not only good in the human hearts. And just as I came into being, there was born an avatar out of the deepest deprevations, the evil that lurks in the human hearts. This dark Avatar calls himself Vayne, but you will likely not have heard it before. The two of us have been imprisoned in our temples for a very long time."

He sat down on the stairs to the podest looking tired.

"For a long time I thought of Vayne as something like a brother. My other half, my balance. I pitied him, because I thought having to bear the darkness of humanity must be a great burden. But over time I realized that he was deliberatly spreading his evilness around, taking delight in the humans pain, misery and despair.

I plead with him futilessly until I finally came to understand that we were not similar at all, because his very core is made from evil.

I tried to stop him of course, to protect the humans and when he saw I was succeding he brought war to the whole world which would have destroyed it, for he'd rather see ruined, what he cannot rule.

To prevent the world from being destroyed our powers were locked away in these stones, creating the Temple of Dawn from mine and the Temple of Dusk from his.

What was left of the both of us was imprisoned in the midst of our temples.

There are orbs that act like keys to our powers. Placed on the seals of the temples they release the energy back into the avatar.

I have regained a bit of my power, but the problem is I know Vayne has regained more already. Enough to leave his temple.

He'll recruit followers from the most evil humans and bind them to him with promises of power. Then he'll find the missing orbs, free the rest of his power and turn the world into a living hell. And I can not stop him because I am trapped here."

Delucin shrugged.

"Now you have a choice. You can stand aside, do nothing and watch it all happen. Or you take a bit from my power into yourself and fight him and his warriors in my place. Because unlike me you can leave this temple.

Faye - and me- believe you can make a difference. But it has to be your choice. So what is it to be, Natalya?"

((Poor Syth.))

Natalya was quiet for the longest time trying to process what Delucin had told her. Somehow this extremely crazy story made sense. She looked at Faye with indecision. She still had many questions that plagued her mind. After a few moments of staring down at her knee, remembering how she had gotten the scrape she looked at Delucin. The girl wondered exactly how much Faye had seen at the park.

"I am no one special, tonight was nothing. I want to be able to do more good in the world. What do I have to do Delucin?"

Breathing the fresh night air, Phoebe looked up at the stars. It was so peaceful at this time, she thought, and so much quieter here than in the city she had moved from. Not that there weren't people about; apparently even the fact that it was Monday tomorrow and most people probably had school and jobs to go to didn't keep everyone inside and in their beds. It was still quieter than the place she grew up in, though, so it wasn't as if she minded. A world without people would be boring, anyway.

With a glance at the house behind her - her house; the thought made a smile appear on her face - she started to walk unhurriedly down the street. She'd spent the whole day driving here and moving her belongings into the little house, and she blessed her good graces that she'd been able to get the house at all. It had been a strike of luck, actually; the first thing she'd done when she decided to move back to Wallace was to contact her mother's family, where the reception was... mixed. Some were happy, and some still nursed a grudge from when her mother left. One of the happy ones were her aunt, though, and as she was moving out of her old house in Burnrise to live together with her fiancé in Burtley she offered to sell the house at a discount. The offer was too good to pass up, and so she found herself spending the whole day moving.

Shaking her head slightly Phebe dispelled the thoughts. She didn't have to show up for work until midmorning the next day, so she still had some time until she needed to go to bed, and what better time to look around? As she walked she slowly passed out of the residential area, the houses and apartment complexes being replaced by greenery and a couple of spread buildings. She could identify one of the buildings as a museum by the sign in front of it, and she made a mental note to visit it later, but she didn't bother to see if she could find out what the other buildings were. Somehow she just wanted to walk, even if she wasn't quite sure where she was anymore. She was confident that she could find her way back, though, so it didn't really matter that she didn't know the name of the place.

The buildings were behind her, now, and as she moved further she realized that it was all a big park. A smile crossed her face and she sped up her pace a little, eager to see exactly how big it was. The only parks in her old city were small and unkempt, and most people avoided them for fear of being involved in the less-than-legal activities going on, so she was excited that the park in Wallace seemed different.

After only a dozen paces, however, she spotted another person and slowed down. It was a brown-haired man staring up at the sky, seeming very absorbed in his own thoughts. Should she speak to him? She hadn't really met anyone apart from her mother's family, so she supposed getting to know people would be good. But... She could still remember her one meeting with those in the parks where she'd grown up, and she had no desire to repeat the experience. This was different, though, wasn't it? This place wasn't really run down, and the man didn't seem like one who'd suddenly kick her in the stomach.

Taking a deep breath she made her decision and walked towards him. "Hello. I'm Phoebe Williams." She held out a hand. "I just moved here today, so I don't really know anyone. Who are you?"

Edited by Saikachan

Delucin radiated happyness like the sun radiated light. "Thank you, Natalya." he said softly.

Then he straightend, his eyes determined. "Say: -In the name of everything that is good in me, I swear allegiance to Delucin and the Power of Light.- If you do so I can share my power with you and you'll be able to stand against Vaynes evil minions.”

He paused for a moment then added. "One thing more. When in doubt I want you to listen to Faye. Vayne might not mind conflict among his followers, but he does get power from it while it weakens me.

The world has changed so much since I have last walked it, that I have trouble understanding it, so I need to relay on my warriors. I have chosen Faye for her good sense as well as her pure heart and I know she won't lead you or anyone who will help our cause astray."

Edited by Laura-Lana

(Your barrier power confises me, throwing an iceball will work but gravity doesn't exist inside? Could you explain it better?)

Syth jumped, and turned as a voice spoke up. It was just a girl, not one of those kids from before. He stood up slowly, feeling the breeze on him as he turned around and took her offered hand and shook it gently. His grip was kind, but firm.

“I’m Mr Everfree, I teach at the school in this city. And it’s fine not knowing everyone. Some people in this town are less then friendly.” She smiled sweetly; glad to meet a new friendly face.

He turned and motioned to the temple, “So what do you think is in there? I don’t have the clearance to go exploring. And besides, curiosity got the cat fired!!” he said a little too bit merrily.

He turned back to her and smiled “I like on the opposite side of town, a bit far to walk but a short drive if you have a car.” He motioned to the seat, and then took a seat himself, gazing at the immense green around him.

“I had a nightmare one night, of this whole place turning to nothing. You would think I would dream of the people that hate me, but no I dream about the death of the world.” He wasn’t really talking to her, staring back up at the sky with a thoughtful look on his face.

“And yet, I spend my days coming here and watching the clouds move in the sky.” He turned his head slightly to look at the excavation site.

“They say great treasure beholds the curious, and then they become politicians” he smiled to himself, thinking over his old joke.

“I’m sorry if I’m rambling on; I’ve had a rough day. I met an assistant nurse and got beaten up twice.”

He laughed “And yet I love my life. Even if it is…tough being a role model sometimes.”

((Not my power but since I believe I understand it well - A gravity power would stop working in there. Like if you can make things float. Once they are inside the barrier it would drop to the earth again. It's an antimagic barrier similar to that what Verian had))

Edited by Laura-Lana

Natalya looked at Faye then nodded in acknoledgement to what Delucin said.

"I..." her voice trailed off as her heartbeat quickened. She regained her voice, speaking softly and clearly she repeated what Delucin had said word for word.

"In the name of everything that is good in me, I swear allegiance to Delucin and the Power of Light." she gave both of them almost a scared look knowing she had just entered a war that no one else knew about. Natalya knew she had done the right thing though.

"What am I suposed to do if a warrior of Vayne confronts me? Wait...what's this about powers?"

Delucin just laughed and embraced her. Blinding light wrapped around them like a tornado out of sunshine.

When it was over Delucin, still in teenager form, stepped back, took her hands and held them up.

"Like Faye Fire is the element that is closest to you. Be careful what you think when you touch anything, because fire will consume what you tell it to. You might call the cold fire of the stars that gives light, but won't do harm or the hot fire of the earth to battle those who dwell in darkness. It would be far better if Vayne's warriors didn't learn your identity but if they do, remember that you can fight back. "

He tilted his head. "And I've neglected you, because you still wear the scratches that are a testament to your selflessness. There is another power of the light that has woken inside of you, which will allow you to heal yourself. But if it is restricted to scratches and bruises it will do you little good."

Delucin ran toward one of the wall hangings, pushed it aside and pulled out an ivory cup. Then he raced to the pillars and before one of the womans could stop him closed his fist around the sword that was displayed on the right pillar. Blood dropped into he cup and he held it out to Natalya.

"Drink that and your healing ability shall become strong enough to heal any wounds except death."

Edited by Laura-Lana

Natalya was momentarily speechless, whether from him embracing her or cutting his hand open she couldn't tell. Probably a bit of both.

With some hesitation she took the goblet in her hand and tried not to think about what Delucin had told her to drink. After a moment the iron taste of blood spread through her mouth, she coughed a couple times and filled her mouth with saliva trying to get rid of the taste. Natalya realized that she did indeed truly trust Delucin.

When the girl recovered from her coughing fit, she lightly grasped the boy's hand. Natalya willed the skin on his hand to connect and return to it's former state.

"Elrun ono Delucin...thank you," she handed the goblet back and then took a step back as she healed her own skin. The phone in her pocket buzzed.

"Ooh drat! It's late! Is there anything else I should know Delucin??

((Would he have normal blood?))

((Yes and no. He's an avatar of humanity so it's human blood, but it does indeed strengthen her power. You've chosen a healing abilty that is almost a copy of Delucins - the exception being that Delucin can heal instantly if he chooses too and Natalyas speed depends on the gravity of the wound. I figured the sharing of powers in that case should be something more than the usual.))

Delucin held up his healed hand and smiled. Then he touched Natalya and all her bruises and scratches vanished.

"Three things. One - If you see someone of pure heart bring them to me. Two are better than one but I fear the warriors of darkness have still outnumbered you.

Two - unless it's someone you deem worthy to become a warrior of light keep this hidden. If we reveal ourselves openly we'll give Vayne a chance to push the whole world into this conflict once again.

Three - I believe I have located one of the orbs. From south to north it lies in the middle between the Temple of Dawn and Dusk. From west to east it is closer to the temple of Dusk than the Temple of Dawn. It might also be a good idea to ask around among the other humans that are so pleased to dig out our temples - archeologists you called them? Maybe one of them has knowledge of an orb."

Edited by Laura-Lana

((Yes, the barrier works like that. Any mental powers would cease to work once inside her barrier, but the physical powers would still work... If that made any more sense at all >.<))

Phoebe smiled in both happiness and relief as the man - Mr Everfree - introduced himself and started talking. He hadn't seemed like a bad man before, and now that she talked to him she felt a little foolish for thinking that he might have been. He was clearly a nice person, even if he jumped from topic to topic quicker than she could follow, and she found her spirits lifted a bit. She hadn't been worried, precisely, but she had wondered how well she would fit in here, in the birthplace she only lived in for the first two years of her life, and so it was good to meet someone friendly.

Taking a seat beside the man, she turned her eyes to the excavation site he had mention. That was where she was going to work, starting tomorrow. A nervous and excited feeling settled in her stomach at the thought, and a small smile appeared on her face before she shook her head. She was being rude, trailing off into thought like this while someone was talking to her.

“I’m sorry if I’m rambling on; I’ve had a rough day. I met an assistant nurse and got beaten up twice.” She shifted her eyes from the site to Mr Everfree at the words, crossing her legs absentmindedly. "It's alright." A smile showed on her face for a moment, before it was replaced with a concerned and worried frown. "But... You were beaten up twice? Are you alright?" He had said he loved his life, but surely no-one would want to be beaten up, and he had said he thought it tough sometimes.