Obscure_Trash

Sprite Replacments/Updates

I'm going to hop in here to state an opinion about the color. Now, before I do that, I want to reiterate that I LOVE the new Golds. I honestly don't see anything wrong with the anatomy but, then again, I'm not a spriter or sketcher.

That being said, as far as the color goes I think it's more of a true gold than the original sprite. And I can say that with complete confidence because I've worked with pure gold before. I think that most people complaining about the color are just unhappy with the change, which they're entitled to that opinion. I just wanted to say about the color. Unlike the original Gold, THIS sprite looks like it was created from actual gold.

Oh, and for the Sunset and Horse updates, I love them too! I think the new shading really adds some extra definition to them.

Edited by sheppardkid

I have to say, I love the new sprites. All of them. The female Sunset no longer looks washed out, and I love the male. Can't say anything about the Sunrise, I only see shading improvement. He was never one of my faves.

The golds, egad, the golds are stunning. So shiny. They managed to surpass the Silvers on my Fav list.

I only noticed the Gold update, which is sad, because the only one I don't have is a Horse xd.png

As I've said, I love the new Golds. My CB Gold is now just as beautiful and vibrant as I imagined her to be. They have so much life and character now, instead of appearing flat to my eyes. They also shine like they didn't before. Yeah, I just love the new Gold sprites, and I hope to get more of them. I also appreciate the other updates as well, especially the Horse. I think I will need to get more of them.

Wow, I kept wondering for a day why my horse dragons looked a bit different from before. I honestly love the way the dragons were given more shades and highlights to give them a more 3D and realistic look to them.

And as mentioned in the Gold update, I have to say, I like the new personalities put into the Golds. I am usually not too great when it comes to change but if it's something I like right away, I get used to it right away. Now, I am not saying the old sprites didn't look good and I know some people are still not used to the change and probably won't ever be.

Then, on the other hand, what was the thought on some of the sprites that changed a while back?

I really like the newer sprites, the older Golds have always seemed a trifle 'stodgy' somehow. I DO feel that the color is a trifle too 'French's' for my taste but that's not that big a thing. May that 'glow' that was mentioned earlier might've been used though. I also enjoy the new definition and coloring on the wings of the male Sunset.

Hard work and well done!! Thanks for the more modern sprites.

Aside from the female gold, I'm very happy with all the changes.

For one thing, I no longer cringe when I look at my female sunsets.

I have just realized that all my golds are female. I would probably never have consciously noticed this if not for the change. Now I have to breed or round up a male gold.

I miss the old sprite. I liked it a lot, and it would have been nice if these had been handled the way pinks were--the ones that already existed could have continued to use the classic sprite, and new ones could have used the new sprite. (I know, I know, rares can't have alts, but the old pinks are not really an alt and nobody honestly thinks of them as an alt.) Just because some new art happened doesn't make the old art invalid or ugly. In fact these new sprites are a little... ordinary. They don't have the shininess/glitteriness of the old ones, they look to me more like a grander subspecies of the harvest dragon than like a metallic rare. (And that's what I thought the moment I saw the males, it wasn't even the power of suggestion from this thread, lol.)

Oh well. It's not my dragon or my website. :/

Edited by Sadako

I love the golds, it was about time for a change, I think. As for the sunset, I like the shading of it. I'm indifferent about the sunrise, though.

My only problem was with the horse. With its mouth hanging wide like that, it gives off the impression that it's going to talk to you. I much preferred the older sprite, but it's such a small change I guess it's fine. ^^

Gotta resay it since I now found the thread xd.png love the dramatic update of the golds and like the horse updates, though I agree with wingedwarrior_21 that the horse's mouth looks like it's going to talk to you. I think it's funny. The reshade of the sunsets is nice, makes them match more and look a bit 3D, which is probably why the male's eyes look a bit bigger (I don't think they are) but that white hilight makes them look so smile.gif The only think I notice on the sunrise is there's now a horn in the middle of the forhead 0.o it's slight but makes them match better to their matching "twin breed" of the sunsets having a horn as well!

Overall, lovvveee it, thanks a bunch to the spriters for giving us the updates big or small!!!

Responding to OP only:

I actually think the sunrise/sunsets were fine as they were... not as fond of the new shading. The horse, though, is fantastic, and I see the artist fixed that part on the wings that bothered them so. happy.gif I remember them saying that they didn't notice the oddness of the bone structure until too late, and I' glad they got their correction put in.

The gold sprite change was long overdue; thanks, Silvanon, for approving that replacement. The original was good for the time, but once the color liit was lifted, it began to look tacky in comparison to the newer stuff. Nakase, your new ones are just lovely, and I look forward to crossing them with many new breeds. <3

I know it's not a huge change, but I definitely think the Sunrises look nicer -- the third horn, to match the Sunsets (er, the Sunset *females,* anyway -- do the males have a third horn? I don't see it), plus that bit of brighter shading in the wing, just enough to give it a better sense of volume. Their wings got upgraded! biggrin.gif

As for the Sunsets, I think I fall into the camp of "preferred the darker, richer colors" though they *were* flatter. I just think they could have been given a bit more volume, or the head could have been brought out a little with different values, without changing the colors quite so much. Now they look very shiny -- they DO look lovely and lit up, but they also look almost as if they have an enamel surface, with the highlights being almost white. I like the change in the tail position, with that little flick at the end. I also like that the claws were brought out a bit, and that the limbs were filled out, and that there's a nice contrast now between the torso and the legs. The tail looks very nicely shaded, too. However, I do prefer the older colors; maybe if these sprites didn't highlight all the way to nearly-white, I'd like them better. The beautiful, saturated color with a subtle gradient on the left wing was just *lost.* I wish the female had been changed to match the original male, instead of the other way around. Still. Good art -- nothing wrong with the artist's ability! I just have my own preferences of colors, and of shading styles. I do like that the female was darkened up, just a bit.

Horse! The wings and horns look so so SO much nicer! With articulated wing-fingers and everything! I DO think it's a good change in that the original sprite needed some anatomy tweaks, like in the front of the rib cage and where it meets the neck, and of course the railroad-track wings. I'm very happy to see how all of that improved. At the same time, I prefer the: smaller eye, subtler shading, little ankle swirl, darker mane and tail, closed mouth, and less poofy mane of the original. I like that some highlights were brought into the mane and tail, but they seem too soft and too broad; there's much more high ground than dark, whereas in hair, I'm used to seeing smaller, finer highlights and larger dark areas. The hair seems less defined, now. And again, I'm not a big fan of "shiny" shading on non-metallic dragons, so... the highlights are a teensy bit strong (maybe too blue-white?) for me. I do really like the *idea* of the mane blowing back in the wind, if it just looked like more and finer strands of hair, with more shadows between them.

And THAT is my ridiculously nit-picky review. tongue.gif Let me say again -- the spriters are GOOD at what they do. There's a lot of my personal preference involved, but hey -- other people will like what I dislike, and vice versa. I know a ton of people are really happy at the light-suffused quality of the new Sunsets, especially. And I do like that its features are much more distinct, now.

*applauds the spriters!* *and thanks DC for caring enough to strive for continual improvement in big and small ways, and all for free!*

I love them ; )

Now I wish I had a gold. Never did before. I've been trying and failing to get a silver... Now I have to go through that process with gold > <!@ -sigh-!

I love them ; )

Now I wish I had a gold. Never did before. I've been trying and failing to get a silver... Now I have to go through that process with gold > <!@ -sigh-!

I know what you mean! I was indifferent to the Golds before, but NOW...

Suffice it to say, they're hard to resist!

The merge made the other thread kind of confusing, so we are starting a new thread.

Note: this thread is not about arguing whether or not the changes should have happened and nor is it a place to brainstorm on how to get them removed/changed. It is for your thoughts on the sprites. Everyone is allowed an opinion.

If you're interested, Old Gold Decoration: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=129906

And for those interested, throw in your opinion on a vine update: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=130033

Here are all the changes, side by side, for ease of seeing.

Golds: user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image->user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Horse: user posted image -> user posted image

Sunsets: user posted image -> user posted image

user posted image -> user posted image

Sunrise: user posted image -> user posted image

Again this is the topic. Off topic spam will receive a warn.

I love the update to the horses. The new shading and the more aggressive windblown look just appeals to me. With the sunsets, I like the new female but not the male so much. I just prefer the darker coloring. I know the sunset female has three horns but the third horn on the sunrise is a bit weird for me. The golds.... I still don't care for. While they are lovely sprites, they just don't have the same feel to me and they look off in my lineages. I find them a bit less regal. I think it is the pose of the female that makes me feel she is smaller so I don't get the "big bad dragon" vibe. The color doesn't work well for me either. Can't please everyone. *shrugs*

I just wanted to say my piece, now I'm done and I happen to love all of the updates, particularly the Golds and Horses.

Updates are in my opinion great! And definitely they were necessary on DC. Especially the Gold Dragon - it's amazing! Now I'd like to have an army of them!

But most of all I adore Horses now. They are gorgeous!! They don't look flat and boring anymore, great job! And the Sunrise/Sunset update - most delicate, most discreet - but it gave the dragons shine!

Great thanks to all who worked hard to improve sprites. And DC itself.

I feel my only personal issue with the heraldic dragon sprites is that it makes them feel less alive than the other dragons.

Real creatures don't look heraldic. And when we see sprites on our scroll that are made to look very real and lifelike, it does seem to take away from the heraldic sprites and makes them seem more stoic and iconic.

However, since the scroll is simply covered in 'drawings of dragons', there is absolutely nothing wrong with a sprite looking more iconic and less alive. It is, after all, just a drawing, and different drawings are encouraged to have their own special styles.

One of my favorite dragons is the Red, and I've always really liked its heraldic-looking sprite. Compared to the other dragons, yes I feel it lacks a bit of animation to it and feels far more rigid and stoic, but at the same time I really feel like it gives the Reds a sense of grandness because they're being represented with heraldry. smile.gif

I personally was never a fan of the old golds, and really that's why I avoided ever trying to get one, and I do feel that the new golds are absolutely gorgeous. But I also understand the people who miss seeing the old ones. I too like seeing the different art style in the dragon sprites and don't really like the idea of people calling older ones 'outdated' simply because they don't match up with recent standards of shading and pose movement. I would be very sad to see something happen to my dear Greens, simply because they don't quite match up to that newest Christmas beauty we got!

Golds are epicness. Horses are okay, but I liked the old sprites a little more. Female Sunsets and Sunrises, I'm neutral. But to be honest, I really, REALLY dislike the male Sunsets. They've lost their proud, wild, naive look to a friendly, chubbier-looking face, and I can't stand that. Sure, the shading's better, but they don't feel like the same dragon to me anymore.

It's still taking me a bit to get used to them in lineages. Every time I see a lineage with Golds in it I go "What dragon is that!?" then realize it's the Golds. xd.png

But I still love them and want to hoard ALL THE GOLDS now. biggrin.gif

I really really do love these new sprites for the golds.

But at any rate, with the gold's having new sprites, I'm really determined to get my own now since they are absolutely lovely. (Guess that means more cave lurker after my scrolls unlocked)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I feel a bit "nothing" about the whole change...

I love the new male Gold sprite, but unfortunately the rendering drags me kicking and screaming into migraine country- I've tried using the green DC background option, but it doesn't cool them down enough for me to look at them for too long without losing orientation. This is a bit of a downer as I have 2 CB Golds (just caught the male before Christmas) that I rely heavily on for trading (I am the worst catcher). Their carefully bred progeny are no longer as desirable too, which is a shame.

I was a bit bummed when the female sunset changed, and I'm not a fan of the new male sunset rendering either, but that's OK- it's all a bit moot in the end. I do love the old school sprites (they are only sketches on your scroll after all) but the new Dragon Horse is cool. All this means for me and my scroll is that my beloved Golds will stay down the bottom of the page (where they can do no neurological harm) and my Silvers will move back to the top. I'll refocus on new pairings and cross fingers that when the Golds are updated again, they are cooled down a little.

I'm sure a new release will revive the lineage crash! smile.gif

I have cleaned this thread of spam. Further spam will merit a warning.

Reminder:

Note: this thread is not about arguing whether or not the changes should have happened and nor is it a place to brainstorm on how to get them removed/changed. It is for your thoughts on the sprites. Everyone is allowed an opinion.