Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,040 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Malfoy is a sceaming bully who wants nothing more than to show up Harry

That sums it up nicely, thank you smile.gif

For vine hatchlings I think of clumsy little grumpy things just trying to figure out why the heck they keep tripping over these things growing out of them. =p

I don't think the "people who wanted sneaky will be less disappointed" people are being very fair. I never said I was scrapping the idea of a sneaky female altogether and you guys are acting like I did. I still really want to try a fusion of both, and I'm making attempts at it, but the subtle gloating has not gone unnoticed. The "sneaky" side has made no such jabs at you.

What if I made angry bitey little hatchlings and a sneaky female? Would you "snarly" people just be "less disappointed"? No, I bet you'd just be pissed because you thought I chose your side even though I gave no indication of such a thing. I didn't. Never did. Stop acting like I did. And no, I didn't pick the other side either. The poll was split and there was no clear majority, so there is no reason for me to choose a side.

I'm sorely tempted to leave her sneaky if you guys continue to disrespect the results of the poll. I've kept a list of who voted what. Just FYI.

EDIT: Hey one of the posts disappeared. Point still stands though.

Edited by Lythiaren

Thinking about this, I actually see the reverse as feasible and awesome. Snarly hatchie, sneaky adult. I was neutral on the adult before (leaning towards sneaky, I believe), but thinking logically here: the hatchie would know less how to conceal itself, right? And honestly, that would be adorable. And deadly. Like on the Zelda game I'm playing now - cute little kitty things (called Remlits) attack you at night. Things want to kill you, but they're still adorable. Aannd I just got off topic. xd.png

I've finally decided to confirm my vote here if you can't pull off the combined one, late or not. I'm in favor of nasty hatchies and sneaky adult females.

Edited by AlternateMew

With the hatchling, the main thing that I'd like to see are the anatomy inconsistencies between the hatchling and adult smoothed out. smile.gif The things that you mentioned in the first post. So basically, I'd like to see a hatchling that looks like it could grow into the adult without needing to undergo a bit of plastic surgery. tongue.gif

So yeah, if the things you addressed in the opening post are fixed up, that'll make me very happy. smile.gif

Also, one thing I thought, maybe it would make the majority of people happy if the female sprite was only a slight change from the male sprite (adults I'm talking about here). Like for example, the grays, stripes, geodes all have dimorphism, but it's all quite subtle. So maybe a slight change like that to make them different but not too different would make the majority happy, rather than a massive change that leaves some people happy and some not.

And when I talk about a big difference between the male and female sprites, I'm talking about stuff like BBWs, ridgewings, golds, etc. where the poses of the two genders is vastly different.

I just thought that was worth mentioning. smile.gif Personally, I'd be happy with any female sprite, and I trust that you'll make something that looks amazing, but having only a slight change between the genders might be something that makes more people happy. I dunno. Just a thought. smile.gif

I don't think the "people who wanted sneaky will be less disappointed" people are being very fair. I never said I was scrapping the idea of a sneaky female altogether and you guys are acting like I did. I still really want to try a fusion of both, and I'm making attempts at it, but the subtle gloating has not gone unnoticed. The "sneaky" side has made no such jabs at you.

What if I made angry bitey little hatchlings and a sneaky female? Would you "snarly" people just be "less disappointed"? No, I bet you'd just be pissed because you thought I chose your side even though I gave no indication of such a thing. I didn't. Never did. Stop acting like I did. And no, I didn't pick the other side either. The poll was split and there was no clear majority, so there is no reason for me to choose a side.

I'm sorely tempted to leave her sneaky if you guys continue to disrespect the results of the poll. I've kept a list of who voted what. Just FYI.

EDIT: Hey one of the posts disappeared. Point still stands though.

I don't know about the motives of other people who said something like this, but I know that in my posts, I certainly intended no gloating or jabs or anything like that. I mentioned it as an alternative because you seemed concerned about there being so much sameness. And I certainly didn't imply that a snarly female was definitely going to happen. I specified "in the event" you end up making the female adult snarly.

You're right; if you ended up making the female adult sneaky and the hatchlings snarly, I would honestly be disappointed. I want the female adult to look mean and vicious so that she looks equal to the male, because in my mind, my female vines are just as vicious as my males and I want their sprites to convey that. And frankly, I have no issue with (and would in fact prefer) the hatchling sprites to be vicious as well--the first thing I pointed out in my post was that it made sense for all the sprites to be vicious and that I didn't think it was too much "sameness." Mentioning the possibility of a sneaky hatchling was intended to be a helpful suggestion, not a veiled attempt to get what I want. I apologize if I have done anything wrong, but the intentions you seem to have seen were certainly not there, at least not in my post.

No, someone else took what you said and used it as a base to start taking shots. The post disappeared after I made that post.

But seriously that kind of thing should not be happening. I really would just go the other way if one side starts up a fight about it though. I could go either way but if one side is going to try and start up drama over it I'm going to lean away from them just to get under their skin. :|

Because I'm terrible. negl

Edited by Lythiaren

@ the hatchlings

Activity-wise, I always think of vine hatchlings digging hidey-holes and whipping/grabbing things with their vines. Appearance-wise, I like to think that for the most part, they're confused by the vines and plants sprouting out from their body. :P You know how sometimes you scare a kitten and it completely tenses up? I kind of see that with the hatchling tensing up and 'growling', only the thing they're growling at is a vine that has appeared in their vision. x)

... and I had no idea poll creators could see what individual people voted. :D

I'm in favor of nasty hatchies and sneaky adult females.

I'll second that.

... Will there by two S2 sprites oh please oh pretty please? biggrin.gif (Is a sucker for lots of sprites)

and I had no idea poll creators could see what individual people voted. biggrin.gif

You can't, the poll for sneaky vs. snarly was conducted in-thread.

I'd really love a sneaky female and a snarly hatchling :3 Or like what was mentioned, one hatchling (maybe the female) being evil and RAWR where the other is staring at its vines with the OMFG look on its face.

Yeah I'm not going to pick the pose for hatchlings based on what the female will be like. XD

I guess I'm going to be different than most people. I like the hatchies as they are. Yes, I know several of the hatchies are the same, but I think it adds to the charm of DC, and these hatchies (like the Vines, the Reds, etc) are among my favorites! I'd much rather see the artists work on new dragons than change the old ones. (At the very least, I think if there are changes, they should be done going forward rather than changing the ones already on our scrolls.)

For hatchies, I imagine surly little guys growing into their proper meanness. Perhaps the s2 could start to burrow.

YES - that would be so - can I say sweet ? Because I HATE the word CUTE sad.gif

I guess I'm going to be different than most people. I like the hatchies as they are. Yes, I know several of the hatchies are the same, but I think it adds to the charm of DC, and these hatchies (like the Vines, the Reds, etc) are among my favorites! I'd much rather see the artists work on new dragons than change the old ones. (At the very least, I think if there are changes, they should be done going forward rather than changing the ones already on our scrolls.)

While I like that some of the hatchlings are the same too and agree that it adds to part of the charm... The issue I have with the hatchling isn't the sprite itself, but the fact that it's not consistent with the adult. Lyth mentioned a few of these inconsistencies in the opening post and those are the things that I'd like to see addressed. So while I like the current sprite too (and I'm glad it'll still be around for the alt vine!) I'd still like to see an updated version that's more consistent with the adult. smile.gif

And just because I want to say it... I can't wait to see these new sprites, assuming they're going to go ahead and be made. biggrin.gif I really hope so. Because I'm excited for them.

I'd really love a sneaky female and a snarly hatchling :3 Or like what was mentioned, one hatchling (maybe the female) being evil and RAWR where the other is staring at its vines with the OMFG look on its face.

If I had a drink while reading that I would have just done a spit take. xd.png

I'll admit, I never put too much thought into hatchie personas. Only adults. Hmm... s1 OMG an s2 RAWR? That would cover the funny "kitten dilemma" and then a stage of leaning how to be a predator by being a bit rash in their youth. And now, Vine hatchies are the officially the first species-wide hactie that I'm thinking about the development of. Now I can't get the imange of OMG and RAWR hatchies out of my head. And yes, kittens are a perfect example of what I'm seeing. No matter how nasty they act, they're hard to take seriously at that size. These tiny, fluffy little creatures think they can destroy us all, but it's just to pitiful and funny to take seriously. Mentally putting that onto vines, and I see something slightly different. They look like they could be about as dangerous as the kittens, but with enough deadly to actually be threat. Like if that kitten could really kill you. And it wants to. blink.gif

And... do I want to add this? Yes. Yes I do. What I now see that seems to keep gradually developing as posts are made: Baby s1 is discovering it has vines and learning it can control them. Older s2 is having fun killing things, slowly noticing that the louder and noisier it is, the fewer things come around for it to kill. The adult has mastered stealth and has fully developed its temper that drives it to have that "give me one chance and I'll kill you" attitude.

(And if I accidentally step on toes, let me know? I don't like stepping on toes...)

Edited by AlternateMew

I think your post sums it up pretty well, AlternateMew. :)

And yeah, poor I-wanna-be-fierce hatchies. They may be a vicious breed, but when they're hatchies, they're just so small it makes them adorable by default. There are few hatchies in DC I don't find cute. x)

*just wants the talking to be over with so we can SEE these sprites and get them in cave*

Still having to wait for permission from TJ to allow the showing of the sprites I beleive

*just wants the talking to be over with so we can SEE these sprites and get them in cave*

Why should the talking stop? How will I know what people want to see if they don't say anything to me?

I voted yes, but would really like to see the new sprite before I cast that in stone. I've been breeding, trading/catching (not very often tho) CB Vines now, and am really enjoying my breeding program.

It took me the longest time to visually decipher the green tangle of 'things' and see the dragon's head. It's a nice fierce-looking beastie, and I hope the general 'spirit' is kept. But I'll be happy with whatever I'm presented with, since it's another's artwork to be appreciated. Can't wait to see it!

I LOVE the idea of OMG stage 1 hatchies and RAWR stage 2 hatchies. That would be so adorable! That pretty much does it perfectly! I still want to see the sprites before I make my final desion, but I think I'm leaning towards YES!

And egg description change is still a YES! from me

Lyth: Why not make both females so we can decide tongue.gif? The only reason I can think of is because it would be a ton of work, and you don't want one to go to waste. But if you want to, that would be awesome and make the voting easier.

In addition:

My current vote is for this! Explanation mark! Why always say the period? It gets boring.

Going by the WOTs in the past pages, and no new sprite on the first page, I'm going to assume the sprites haven't been done yet, or at least not put up.

I don't understand why this is turning into such a huge debate. There are going to be some people that want you to change it, and some not to. As an artist myself, I say go for it. Over time, you can only get better.

There's one thing about DC that I noticed: voting takes forever. Debating takes forever. It seems, very infrequently, that two sides will come to a conclusion. The only way to get things done is to take the reins and get going... even if it means displeasing some people. Because, as others have said, there will be griping no matter what.