Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honestly, I really don't see any problem with the egg description as it stands.

Just because it was '...sitting in a patch of grass and small flowers...' I shouldn't think that it would mean that the surrounding vegetation would have to come up and be carried with the egg, when it's taken...

Of course, I don't see anything wrong with the various vine sprites either, lol.

Regarding the rest, my personal feeling is that most of us probably won't mind changes as much in cases where it's still possible to get the original, or something closely similar to the original, and if the same flavour is retained overall.

And thank you for taking our lineages into consideration!

(I do very much hope that the Vines will continue to match the Ribbon Dancers as well as they do now.)

Lol, I just kinda thought that the dragon was exceptionally good at concealment - in fact, on my old monitor, it took me ages to see a dragon there at all!

One can certainly understand your wanting to have the dragon true to your vision and its own nature.

Personally, I'm dying to see your female vine and am loving the fact that we get to hear about this and have some degree of input into what's done.

And it'll be wonderful avoiding the degree of shock necessarily occurring with sudden, unexpected changes involving the replacement of sprites.

(Although I haven't yet voted, not having seen the new hatchies/female, I'd be very surprised if they weren't awesome.)

Any chance of having BOTH female variations, the existing and the proposed, available?

Not as an Alt, just to show the progression of what happens when 'sneakyplotface' lurking Vine comes out to 'play'.

Yeah, I know, lol, even more work, but it would be interesting... and different... and I live in my dreams...

Perhaps we can ask the bossman what he thinks! Maybe they can change between the sprites on a day/night cycle like Nocturnes. Bad mood in the day, sneakyplotting at night! Though then I wonder if I should do the same for the male. :P

Edited by Lythiaren

I respect your input, Zovesta. I initially didn't want to make her sneaky, but she turned out that way in the sprite I currently have. Is there a suggestion you would like to make? Would you prefer if she displayed the same level of outright aggression as the male?

I dunno about Zovesta, but I would definitely prefer it if the female showed the same level of outright aggression as the male. I hate hate hate when spriters make the female look less aggressive than the male (and consequently, more demure), and then defend their choice by saying that she looks more menacing in a subtle way or something like that. I wish spriters would just make them equally epic. I mean this in the politest way possible. I know it's all too easy for me to suggest that you do more work than you've already done since I'm not the one that has to do the work. But if we end up with male vines that are outright aggressive and female vines that have "subtle viciousness" then I too will be tempted to release all my female vines. It will make me so unhappy with the breed.

-shrug-

I think the vines are great. I don't own many, but I like their innate badassery. Like I said before, I don't really think the sprite as is looks all that "RAWR EAT UR FAEC". But I don't put value of the dragon's personality on a picture o_O It's just there to show me what the dragon looks like. Whether the dragon itself is aggressive or not depends more on the breed characteristics and the people who own them, not the tiny depiction of them on our scroll. I'm just glad that these dragons have the potential to show us more sides to their appearance, such as the female's new sprite. Whether the female is "demure" or "frightening" shouldn't rely on the single image we get of them.

Renorei basically has my same feelings on the subject, but I guess my thing is that I'm tired of the femme fatale/male brute sort of thing. So, yes, her being as aggressive as the male would be nice. As it has been mentioned before, though, the male doesn't seem particularly aggressive to me. More "oops yhalothar". So, any way to give him a slight update to make him appear more aggressive (more open mouth? bigger eyes?) would be great, but I understand if you don't want to.

I do think the female crawling out of the hole, looking vicious/crazed would be awesome.

But it is your creation, and we can all respect that.

-shrug-

I think the vines are great. I don't own many, but I like their innate badassery. Like I said before, I don't really think the sprite as is looks all that "RAWR EAT UR FAEC". But I don't put value of the dragon's personality on a picture o_O It's just there to show me what the dragon looks like. Whether the dragon itself is aggressive or not depends more on the breed characteristics and the people who own them, not the tiny depiction of them on our scroll. I'm just glad that these dragons have the potential to show us more sides to their appearance, such as the female's new sprite. Whether the female is "demure" or "frightening" shouldn't rely on the single image we get of them.

*headscratch* I don't really understand that at all. How does appearance not matter? Do you think that these two look the same to you, share the same personality? Or are you saying that one person's mood at a time shouldn't reflect how they always feel, like how if someone is sad once, they aren't a depressed person? If so, while that's a valid point, these pictures are supposed to represent the overall dragon, so.

Edited by Zovesta

I really like having some breeds with dimorphism and some breeds without. It's easier when at least one sprite stays (or just gets updated - the horses and suns are good examples) to gain dimorphism, which is why I wouldn't mind dimorphism for vines too much.

I also have to say I think I'm equally split on dimorphic dragons. Some I really like the male and dun like the female. Some I really like the female and dun like the male. There's not many sprites I really like both of them. So I don't care how Lyth would do the female vine, because I don't see the sexism others do. o.o

I honestly don't care if the females are less aggressive looking. I mean, I'd imagine the male would be more in your face "Rawr Ima Eatchu!" and the female being "I don't know what his problem is, but come over here, I wanna tell you somethin- CHOMP".

But I've never had a problem with dimorphism sprites when it comes to 'sexism'. What some people see as 'boring' and 'static' for the females, I see graceful and cunning. *shrug*

Edited by tikigurl91

Renorei basically has my same feelings on the subject, but I guess my thing is that I'm tired of the femme fatale/male brute sort of thing. So, yes, her being as aggressive as the male would be nice. As it has been mentioned before, though, the male doesn't seem particularly aggressive to me. More "oops yhalothar". So, any way to give him a slight update to make him appear more aggressive (more open mouth? bigger eyes?) would be great, but I understand if you don't want to.

I do think the female crawling out of the hole, looking vicious/crazed would be awesome.

But it is your creation, and we can all respect that.

Hmm. It was intended to be a "OMG I'M DEAD" from the viewer's PoV as he erupts out of the dirt. I've seen different interpretations ranging from "lazily lounging in the mud" to "clawing out of a grave". The latter was the intention. ._.;

His eye is pretty huge already though (I think it's the biggest in the cave o_o), and I'm not sure how big I can open his jaws without breaking through the other side and looking like a big goofy grin. xd.png

How would you feel if I showed more of his teeth?

*headscratch* I don't really understand that at all. How does appearance not matter? Do you think that these two look the same to you, share the same personality? Or are you saying that one person's mood at a time shouldn't reflect how they always feel, like how if someone is sad once, they aren't a depressed person? If so, while that's a valid point, these pictures are supposed to represent the overall dragon, so.

Well, you kind of confused me there, so I'll try to elaborate a little more. I mean, just because you see something in one pose, one expression, doesn't necessarily that it's going to be like that. People give their dragons all sorts of different personalities based on different merits. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't just depend on what you see as a small little representation of physical characteristics. So what if it looks demure there? Doesn't mean that dragon is demure. The sprite is one, single depiction of what that dragon looks like. That doesn't mean it's going to embody what the dragon is going to necessarily be as a character.

Perhaps we can ask the bossman what he thinks! Maybe they can change between the sprites on a day/night cycle like Nocturnes. Bad mood in the day, sneakyplotting at night! Though then I wonder if I should do the same for the male. tongue.gif

Oh I very much like that idea >:3

Hmm. It was intended to be a "OMG I'M DEAD" from the viewer's PoV as he erupts out of the dirt. I've seen different interpretations ranging from "lazily lounging in the mud" to "clawing out of a grave". The latter was the intention. ._.;

His eye is pretty huge already though (I think it's the biggest in the cave o_o), and I'm not sure how big I can open his jaws without breaking through the other side and looking like a big goofy grin. xd.png

How would you feel if I showed more of his teeth?

I don't mean all-around big, I mean one extra pixel in one single spot to make his eyes bulge. And, I dunno, I think you could pull it off. :3 But, yeah, if you're really against those two, go for the teeth.

@Shiny Hazard Sign: Yeah, that was basically what I was saying with the latter bit. Except, like I said, these picture are supposed to be sketches of the dragons that the artist made, and the artist picked ones that (s)he thought represented the dragon well. Why pick an emotion that they rarely pick?

Perhaps we can ask the bossman what he thinks! Maybe they can change between the sprites on a day/night cycle like Nocturnes. Bad mood in the day, sneakyplotting at night! Though then I wonder if I should do the same for the male. tongue.gif

Having Vines that change like the Nocturnes would be a really cool idea :3 As much as I love that idea, we all don't want you to overwork yourself at the same time ^^; If something like that is what you want to do, or are thinking of doing, then I'm all for it (don't know about everyone else though) tongue.gif I'm quite excited to see what you've come up with for the female smile.gif I imagine her with a kind of "Don't come any closer or you'll regret it" expression laugh.gif

I don't see the sexism others do. o.o

This xP

I feel the same socky and I'm not sure why there is this sudden explosion of complaints about it.

At any rate whatever you decide I am good with Lyth. These are your babies.

I vote snarlyface. Conceptually, sneakyface is good, but in practice, it can be kind of hard to tell the difference between "I am secretly plotting to kill you" and "I'm just sitting here smiling," even on the face of a human actress in a still photo, much less a dragon in a wee little sprite. I suspect she would indeed come out looking more passive. But if you like the sneaky design better, Lythiaren, it will still be fine with me. I'll just keep reminding myself that she'll explode into viciousness any minute now every time I see her. ;-)

Put aside that they're my babbies for a second guys, this will change your babbies! Your dragons that exist! What would you guys like for your babbies? XD

Edited by Lythiaren

@Shiny Hazard Sign: Yeah, that was basically what I was saying with the latter bit. Except, like I said, these picture are supposed to be sketches of the dragons that the artist made, and the artist picked ones that (s)he thought represented the dragon well. Why pick an emotion that they rarely pick?

True, but as you can see, not every sees the "demure" or "less epic" side to the same picture. Even if that's what you get from it, you'd have to keep in mind what was the original purpose behind the image. Such as, sneakyplotface doesn't sound all that demure to me. ^^; besides, it's a Vine. Not sure how "demure" Vines can get. c:

True, but as you can see, not every sees the "demure" or "less epic" side to the same picture. Even if that's what you get from it, you'd have to keep in mind what was the original purpose behind the image. Such as, sneakyplotface doesn't sound all that demure to me. ^^; besides, it's a Vine. Not sure how "demure" Vines can get. c:

that and just because something looks demure doesn't mean it cant be bad ass. o_o something doesn't need to be up in your grill to be awesome, i think.

Honestly I don't see how people can bring sexism into a site where men and women alike make these sprites. Some of the 'demure' female sprites were in fact made by females...Does that make those women that made them sexist?

Sorry that was awful and rude but...That argument seems REALLY unfounded...

EDIT: To stay on topic though, I would LOVE these guys to get an update as I said, I love the vines and would love to collects more if they got dimorphism and an update!

Edited by Plaguefly

Put aside that they're my babbies for a second guys, this will change your babbies! Your dragons that exist! What would you guys like for your babbies? xd.png

Since you put it that way xd.png The ideas/plans that you have already are awesome (which I personally would like to see done with them) and even if they are our "babbies" (I'm sure you mean to type "babies" hehe) on our scrolls, they're still your babies by creation :3 So really, IMHO, whatever you decide to do with them, I'm all for it :3 I'm not helping much am I? xd.png *is being quiet now*

Edited by FluffyPillow

Put aside that they're my babbies for a second guys, this will change your babbies! Your dragons that exist! What would you guys like for your babbies? xd.png

When you put it that way, I'd want something a bit more... hostile looking. I'd definitely go for a snarlyface dragon. I kinda envision my vine girls to be a tough bunch. They're mean, they're proud, and they don't take crap from nobody.

Honestly I don't see how people can bring sexism into a site where men and women alike make these sprites. Some of the 'demure' female sprites were in fact made by females...Does that make those women that made them sexist?

Yes. You can suffer from an -ism (like sexism) and still be an -ist.

ETA:

"When women are influenced by society to make assumptions about each other they also hurt themselves -- it's a cycle that feeds itself,"

http://www.underthemicroscope.com/blog/can-women-be-sexist

The problem with the female being the demure/sneaky one is stereotypes. Here's a movie example. If you were to pick 10 random movies and find out what roles the females played, over 90% of the time the females would be less aggressive/proactive than the males. One or two movies doing that? No problem. Ten doing that? Problem.

So Lythiaren making one set of sprites that fall into that isn't the problem. The problem is that there's hardly any examples of the reverse.

Anyway! Still voting for the snarlyface or switched genders.

Edited by stogucheme

EDIT: To stay on topic though, I would LOVE these guys to get an update as I said, I love the vines and would love to collects more if they got dimorphism and an update!

You don't have to be sexist yourself to do sexist things. =V My sister isn't sexist at all, yet she has... like, one or two competent male characters in a swarm of badass females. Because it's subconscious. And it really does give off bad vibes when women have to be sneaky rather than actually out there and kicking ass. Because, yes, human women aren't as strong as human men, but... these aren't human. =V

I would like to see both sprites show how aggressive the dragon species itself is. This dragon is powerful and dangerous, and I would really like to see that portrayed - with both genders. If one gender is going to be sneaky, then I'd like them both to be that way. =/

Yes! Yesssss! This is the kind of input I want to see. Pour out what you want for your dragons! I shall aim to hit as many marks as I can! :3

I've done a bit more thinking on it, and I would definitely prefer the more vicious female sprite. I'd like my vines to be a nasty bunch, regardless of gender. xd.png