Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ah ha! I'm the lone "no" vote so far. Mostly because I've been here 3 years and only just realized that the vine dragon had an actual head!! OMG!

Ok, so not only do I want to enjoy the newly discovered head of the vines more, but it makes me a little sad to think we might lose all of the old sprites. I like of like how "old school" some of them look when compared to the new ones.

But, in reality, if you changed the vines, I'd be ok with it. Just give me a little more time to mentally pet the old vine heads. ~_^

Oh you'll just be able to see his head better. I'm not redoing the sprite entirely, just a bit of recolouring and details. The female of course has a new sprite, but the guy will be almost entirely the same. :3

Edited by Lythiaren

DIMORPHISM! :D *flails*

I support the original post....very much so...

I've never been a huge fan of that "original" hatchie sprite (ya know, the vine, red, old pinks, etc), so I'm all for a revamp.

My vote: go for it. ._.

Hell. Yes. Please.

I love Vines. My scroll doesn't show it well, but I love them and your in-depth species posts.

I am sad that the naysayers are not saying anything. More input please so I can aim to please as many people as I can. sad.gif

I don't really mind if the sprite is updated smile.gif Particularly when you've already put so much time and effort into it!

I like dimorphism

o/

I am sad that the naysayers are not saying anything. More input please so I can aim to please as many people as I can. :(

Mmm...if I remember correctly the only problem I had with your updates (which I haven't seen in a year) was that the color was too...minty and on the blue-y side of things.

But that was really my only beef.

Egg: Meh, we don't get to keep them more than a few days anyway. And the new description will shake things up in the cave lolz.

Hatchie: I like that we will get to keep the old sprites for the alts. It would be a shame if they disappeared altogether. Because we get to keep the old sprites in some way the thought of new ones excites me and gives me grabby hand syndrome.

Adult: I do like the idea of new shading. And in new breeds I love to see dimorphism. I'm just not sure how I feel about it after the fact. I'm not totally against it but I would like to see your work. As a lineage builder my main interest would be seeing the lineage tile for the new female so I could see how it affected the lineages I already have. I hope you get the okay to show us your work.

Can I just say thank you for the detailed explanation and reasoning in the first post. I wasn't around for the fog and I love seeing the thought process behind the sprite.

At the end of the day it's your work. Freely given and very much appreciated.

Oh, wow. I've always wondered what the vine dragons really look without all that dirt on them. I could have an idea thanks to the alt vine, but i wasnt sure if they matched the regulars.

And speaking of alts, are you willing to give the alt vine a new hatchling too? Like, a recolor to your regular hatchie?

I love vine dragons and I am looking forward to this update. smile.gif

Oh, wow. I've always wondered what the vine dragons really look without all that dirt on them. I could have an idea thanks to the alt vine, but i wasnt sure if they matched the regulars.

And speaking of alts, are you willing to give the alt vine a new hatchling too? Like, a recolor to your regular hatchie?

I love vine dragons and I am looking forward to this update. :)

I do believe that moving away from the Silvanon hatchling would be best. It was designed to match the alt. I believe it should stay with the alt in its original form.

She said, quite clearly, that Silvanon's vine hatchling will stay with the alt, since that's the vine it was meant for.

I completely agree with everything that KageSora has to say... and I mean that to a crazy extent. Even how I was going to phrase it.

I'm honestly not so big on the idea for the female sprite, but you know what? I don't exactly *have* to have a female vine dragon if I don't want one. Go for it, I can't wait for the updates. =D

I haven't voted yet because I'd like to see the proposed changes before I vote.

Having said that a couple of comments on what you've said:

Egg: I think changing the description would cause a lot of confusion in the cave, albeit for a short time. And I honestly don't think it's a needed change.

Hatchie: I love the hatchies, TBH. But it is difficult to tell them apart from the alt (not that I have one, but each time I had a vine hatch I spent ages staring at it and comparing it to the alt on Wiki to see if I had one.

Adult: It took me some time to figure it out, I have to say, but once I did I trotted off and collected a few more - which is why I'm on the 'I'd like to see the proposed changes before I commit myself to vote' side of the fence.

I always found the egg description a bit random given the egg sprite. :P

I support a vine update! I like the hatchies, but they've always seemed a little 'faded' to me (the regular ones anyway). While there's a bit of uncertainty attached as I'm guessing we won't be able to see the 'planned' sprites before (if) they're implemented, I'm sure they'll be wonderful. The descriptive OP is very reassuring. :P

Me thinks Lythiaren is a fan of flipping tables, too. :D

Me thinks Lythiaren is a fan of flipping tables, too. biggrin.gif

Yes, it is a fun emote. :3

I will have to remember to ask TJ if I can post the current proposed sprites here. If he says yes, they will be added to the first post. ^^

I do believe that moving away from the Silvanon hatchling would be best. It was designed to match the alt. I believe it should stay with the alt in its original form.

She said, quite clearly, that Silvanon's vine hatchling will stay with the alt, since that's the vine it was meant for.

I very likely missed that post. Fail on my part. :\

I though giving the alts new hatchies will make more sense anatomically matching both alt and regular sprites.

But I believe NOT giving new hatchies to the alts will make things easier for people to distinguish alts from regulars. ^^ I've seen a lot of confusion with the s1 hatchies looking so much like each other.

Sounds like a pretty thorough plan-- I support it =o I've got a gaggle of Vines on my scroll, so I shall be eagerly awaiting their sprucing up!

I very likely missed that post. Fail on my part. :\

I though giving the alts new hatchies will make more sense anatomically matching both alt and regular sprites.

But I believe NOT giving new hatchies to the alts will make things easier for people to distinguish alts from regulars. ^^ I've seen a lot of confusion with the s1 hatchies looking so much like each other.

Well that's the thing. The current hatchling matches the alt anatomically. Silvanon made the base and it was edited by her to match her dragon. Someone then took her hatchling and edited it to mimic mine chromatically, but not anatomically. And since the colour schemes were extremely similar to begin with, the two are very difficult to distinguish on their own until S2.

These two things together prompted me to make my own matching set. It's easier all around, and to be honest I think the current standard hatchling looks rather like a washed-out version of hers.

Edited by Lythiaren

It will be great to be able to tell alt hatchies from standard ! And *blush* it was only a couple of weeks ago I realised you could actually SEE the dragon in the adult sprite, like stardust did ! So laugh at me smile.gif And as we get to keep the huddled up little darling as the alt hatchie - we LOSE nothing.

The egg description - well, it's the only one that MENTIONS flowers and stuff, so where is the problem ??? How can you miss ?

Dimorphism - woo xd.png - I think.... Your work is usually attractive to me, so I expect I will like it !

I will be a naysayer if you really want one - I can play devil's advocate - but give me a while if you do smile.gif

Support! biggrin.gif

It took me months before I realised that the vines actually had heads and I feel like I spent a lot of time missing out on how awesome they are, because I kept wondering "how does this dragon eat without a mouth?" rolleyes.gif So the main thing I'd love to see is more definition between the head and the vines. And I like that you're planning on changing the hatchling and removing some of the soil from the adult sprite. All things that I'd love to see. And the female sprite too!

So yeah, you seem to have a pretty thorough plan here and I really like all the things you've talked about altering. smile.gif I can't wait to see the sprites (if you're allowed to post them) so I can give a more useful opinion. smile.gif But I'm sure they're great.

Very very supporting this.

I have to admit, I don't like Vines. At all.

I guess a new sprite could help making them more attractive to me.

I love dimorphism and I'd want it for every dragon biggrin.gif

So, that's a great plan and I'd also like a new, shorter egg description, I hate those loooong descriptions

I support this completely. I've never really liked the Vines, honestly, and it took me a little over a year to actually grab one. I have quite a few now because they do look nice in some lineages, but other than that, I'm not really interested in them. The only reason I don't like them is because, like you have stated already, it looks like a big plant, there is very little of the dragon showing and it is hard to make out with all of the plants around it. I'd love it if I'd actually be able to see the adult.

And I'm all for the hatchling change. I don't see how people can get 'sentimental' with them as the Reds and Bright Pinks (and maybe one I am missing) have the same exact hatchlings, just different colors and no Vines. It would be nice for them to have unique hatchies.

As for dimorphism, I like it but at the same time I don't. The only time I really don't like it is when they are completely different colors (like the Swallowtail and Hellfires). But that's only because I'm a lineage nut. I hate planning out a nice looking lineage only to find out that I'm using the wrong gendered sprite. xd.png

I don't really want to see the Vines updated. I love their current sprites, and I always see their faces before their flowers. Maybe the egg and the hatchling could be changed, but please, please don't add dimorphism. I just don't see it working on the Vines.

I guess I don't really think the Vines need an update. There are a few sprites that stood out as old and outdated and desperately out of place, but the Vine is not one of them, and I don't see a need for the adult to be changed.

I voted yes, I'm not a huge fan of the way they are right now, would love to see it.