CharmedWolf

Birds

So. Birds. Love to listen to them, or hate them with a passion?

I had the duty of shooting the crows with a bebe gun (DON'T panic; bebe guns could not and did not kill a crow at the length I was from them, I just gave them a sharp shock.) when they raided our cherry trees. But I must say, I love birds, mostly parrots, owls, and birds of prey.

We acually have a pet bird. His name is Gylfie; he's our normal grey Cockatiel, (A small breed of parrot, smalles member of the Cockatoo family, native to Australia.) who is just a darling. He loves to be pet, held, and talked to.

So. Tell me about your views on birds. Not a very intresting topic, eh? Hmmm... I see. Let's spice things up a bit, shall we? Do you have any pet birds? :3

Birds are beautiful creatures and should be treated well. There had been attacks by some birds (example: swans) because smaller kids were trying to touch or chase their young. But birds like male magpies, they only swoop people in breeding seasons and they want to show off their protecting skills with the girls. My mum got swooped by a magpie once and she got a nasty cut on her forehead.

I've got lotsa birds biggrin.gif

user posted image

Menchi, Blue Headed Pionus

user posted image

Yoshi, Red-sided eclectus

user posted image

Bitey, black capped conure

user posted image

Woody, cockatiel

user posted image

Left: Demetri, Budgie

Right: Pixel, Budgie

user posted image

Left: Bork Bork, Bourke's Parakeet

Right: Checkers, Zebra finch

They have cages, but they are not caged. The doors are all proped open and they are free to do whatever they want. They mostly just play on the jungle gyms on top of their cages, or play with toys inside of their cages.

I really love wild birds too. They are so fun to watch. I think birds are so adorable. I recently found a crow that someone shot at with a bebe gun. It's keel bone was broken and its wing was shattered. I took it to the vet, but they ended up euthanizing it. I cried for so long, I was heartbroken and angry.

I love birds! laugh.gif I have a bird for my science project- the Baltimore Oriole. It's adorable! I don't have any pet birds though. sad.gif

Those are beatiful birds, both of you. They are such amazing creatures.

I didn't like to shot the crows. I was careful about it, though, careful about how hard I made the pressure of the bebe, and the place and length at which I aimed. They were simply anrgy about it, as they flew to a safe perch in a nearby pine tree, scolding me.

That is terrible about the crow you saved. I'm glad you found it and had the care and heart to take it to the vet. Many people wouldn't do that. I've acually always wanted a pet crow. Or a raven. But crows seem cooler.

I like birds too, though I'll be the first to admit I have little tolerance for some of the different 'types' of bird fanciers out there. People who buy purely for looks, status, idea that they can talk without any training, impulse buys, those who do no research before purchasing... I've had a lot of experience with psychologically damage birds brought to shelters, and it's made me really jaded towards the pet bird trade.

Though that doesn't stop me from seeing all the dedicated bird fanciers out there =) I'm more into the conservation of wild birds rather than pet birds now a days. If I had the funds I'd totally fly out to help with the Kakapos in new Zealand, the Hawaiian crows in Hawaii, the California Condors in CA, Guam Rails, Spix Macaws, Hyacinths, Philippine Eagle, so on and etc.

Well, let me rephrase that. If I had the funds and a hundred lifetimes, I'd do all that and more. Perhaps if I were to clone myself...

Those are beatiful birds, both of you. They are such amazing creatures.

I didn't like to shot the crows. I was careful about it, though, careful about how hard I made the pressure of the bebe, and the place and length at which I aimed. They were simply anrgy about it, as they flew to a safe perch in a nearby pine tree, scolding me.

That is terrible about the crow you saved. I'm glad you found it and had the care and heart to take it to the vet. Many people wouldn't do that. I've acually always wanted a pet crow. Or a raven. But crows seem cooler.

Thanks, everyone made me feel stupid for taking a crow to the vet because they think they are pests, but I think they are beautiful and fascinating. And no animal deserves to be injured like that and left to die, especially beside a school where little kids will probably harass it to death since it couldn't fly. He was a nice bird too, he let me pet him and he seemed to know that I was trying to help. I felt so guilty and angry when they euthanized him. It made me feel like a murderer.

People who buy purely for looks, status, idea that they can talk without any training

Oh god every time someone finds out I have parrots the first thing they ask is "Do they talk?". Why would I get an animal just so it could talk when there's people all around me who can't seem to stop talking?

My two largest birds are in my room and my littler birds which are mostly untame rescues get their own little room to fly around in. I could watch my birds all day, they are so hilarious. Especially my eclectus who is practically a feathered monkey that makes baby noises all day.

@Nine

I completly agree with what you just said. I'm in love with the Peregrine Falcon. They are simply AMAZING. I want to become a falconer someday, and have a Peregrine.

About Gylfie.

I tamed him myself, and he lost all his tail feathers because he squirmed so bad when the lady we bought him from caught him. He was one of three of her young, happy, and healthy Tiels. His tail feathers are back now, as longer as his entire body, and he's on my shoulder preening them, as if to say, "Yes, they are beatiful, no? You like?" xd.png He's such a love. I'll try and get a picture of him, but he's all gray, with white lined wings, yellow face and crest feathers, and of course, orange cheeks, I'm teaching him to do the 'Eagle', so on command he'll spread his wings.

I never dreamed of having the most terrific tiel as him. He's so fun, lovley, nice, and cuddly. And he's spoiled, too, with more entertainment in his cage then I have in my house. xd.png

Syaoransbear- Beautiful flock, Menchi looks just like a blue fronted lorikeet ^^

Whenever people see Sheldon (my lorikeet) they always jump right up and say "oh, I want to buy one" because he talks :/

I don't think they realize how much hard work is put in every day training and taming him. But some get turned off getting a pet parrot when they hear him vocalizing with the wild lorikeets tongue.gif

We currently have crows eating our grapes and seeing my father trying to whack them off with a stick is really annoying.

@Nine

I completly agree with what you just said. I'm in love with the Peregrine Falcon. They are simply AMAZING. I want to become a falconer someday, and have a Peregrine.

About Gylfie.

I tamed him myself, and he lost all his tail feathers because he squirmed so bad when the lady we bought him from caught him. He was one of three of her young, happy, and healthy Tiels. His tail feathers are back now, as longer as his entire body, and he's on my shoulder preening them, as if to say, "Yes, they are beatiful, no? You like?" xd.png He's such a love. I'll try and get a picture of him, but he's all gray, with white lined wings, yellow face and crest feathers, and of course, orange cheeks, I'm teaching him to do the 'Eagle', so on command he'll spread his wings.

I never dreamed of having the most terrific tiel as him. He's so fun, lovley, nice, and cuddly. And he's spoiled, too, with more entertainment in his cage then I have in my house. xd.png

Your tiel sounds awesome smile.gif. My tiel was given to me by my neighbor whose aunt couldn't(more like didn't want to dry.gif ) take him when they moved away. He's a cranky old fart that hates hands, but he's over 23 years old so he is allowed to do whatever he wants in his old age laugh.gif.

Heheh. I love how you described him. And wow! Over 23? Thats pretty old for a cockatiel.

I really wish people would take time to commit themselves to birds, no matter how long of a life they can have. I wish we could get a conure, but we have too many animal as it is, and we plan on getting Mountain Quail when the weather is warm enough for chicks.

I should truly take some nicer pictures of my baby. xd.png Tori-boy just turned 10 on New Years Day - he's my African Gray parrot.

And boy oh boy, the never-ending 'what's he say?' 'does he talk?' 'HI, POLLY!' makes me want to throttle people. Never children - they stare with wide-eyed innocence and smile when you say 'only at home, because he's shy around strangers.' No - adults.

Just had to get rid of my Indian Ringneck Parakeet - my 20 month old daughter proved that she's tall enough to reach his tail when he's on his stand, and her plus bird with sharp beak = disaster in the making. Because he could hurt her and she could kill him. Neither one of them know their strength. But I found a good home for my ol' Sora. (he turns 8 this year) Gaw, I miss that bird.

I should truly take some nicer pictures of my baby. xd.png Tori-boy just turned 10 on New Years Day - he's my African Gray parrot.

And boy oh boy, the never-ending 'what's he say?' 'does he talk?' 'HI, POLLY!' makes me want to throttle people. Never children - they stare with wide-eyed innocence and smile when you say 'only at home, because he's shy around strangers.' No - adults.

Just had to get rid of my Indian Ringneck Parakeet - my 20 month old daughter proved that she's tall enough to reach his tail when he's on his stand, and her plus bird with sharp beak = disaster in the making. Because he could hurt her and she could kill him. Neither one of them know their strength. But I found a good home for my ol' Sora. (he turns 8 this year) Gaw, I miss that bird.

Oh, whoa! Close call! I think I better stick to cockatiels for a while, Gylfies only about a foot long, counting his tail, and he alone is a handful. xd.png

Heheh. I love how you described him. And wow! Over 23? Thats pretty old for a cockatiel.

I really wish people would take time to commit themselves to birds, no matter how long of a life they can have. I wish we could get a conure, but we have too many animal as it is, and we plan on getting Mountain Quail when the weather is warm enough for chicks.

Me too. It drives me nuts when people get rid of their birds(or any animal) for stupid reasons. I guess I wouldn't have half of my birds if they didn't, but I think if people can manage to plan their life around children, why can't they plan their life around their animals too? It's clearly doable.

@Syaoransbear: You are my new best friend. xd.png

But seriously, you have a lovely flock, they are all gorgeous. Especially Menchi (he has such beautiful and vibrant colors) and Bitey (I have a soft spot for Conures). Love his name by the way. They are feisty little things aren't they?

You can tell they are all well taken care of and loved just from the pictures. I love it when I see people who actually know to true potential of a bird as a pet, rather than just a cool looking decoration that can talk.

I absolutely love birds, parrots especially. Before my mother passed and I had to move out of state with my grandparents, I had 7 Conures (3 Suns, a Jenday, a Gold Capped, and two Green Cheeks), a Congo African Grey, a Hawkhead, and 6 budgies. They all lived in their bird room. They had cages but most of the day they are open and they were all unclipped so they were free to fly around the room and they loved it. The bigger ones didn't get along with the smaller ones so their out of cage time was rotated throughout the day. The Grey and Hawkhead got the morning, the larger Conures got the middle of the day, and the smaller Conures got the afternoon.

I loved my birds and it killed me to give them up, especially my Gold Capped, Olive. She was my baby and I loved her more than anything.

@Syaoransbear: You are my new best friend. xd.png

But seriously, you have a lovely flock, they are all gorgeous. Especially Menchi (he has such beautiful and vibrant colors) and Bitey (I have a soft spot for Conures). Love his name by the way. They are feisty little things aren't they?

You can tell they are all well taken care of and loved just from the pictures. I love it when I see people who actually know to true potential of a bird as a pet, rather than just a cool looking decoration that can talk.

I absolutely love birds, parrots especially. Before my mother passed and I had to move out of state with my grandparents, I had 7 Conures (3 Suns, a Jenday, a Gold Capped, and two Green Cheeks), a Congo African Grey, a Hawkhead, and 6 budgies. They all lived in their bird room. They had cages but most of the day they are open and they were all unclipped so they were free to fly around the room and they loved it. The bigger ones didn't get along with the smaller ones so their out of cage time was rotated throughout the day. The Grey and Hawkhead got the morning, the larger Conures got the middle of the day, and the smaller Conures got the afternoon.

I loved my birds and it killed me to give them up, especially my Gold Capped, Olive. She was my baby and I loved her more than anything.

Thank you so much! Oh gosh, Bitey is SO feisty and she'll really let you have it if you pick her up when she is in one of her moods and you don't heed her body language. When she hit maturity she kind of went crazy haha. But that's what you sign up for when you get birds!

The birds that I purchased were all done with lots and lots of research first, and I picked ones that had personalities that suited me. I actually really dislike the color green, so it should be obvious I didn't get them because I thought they were cool looking since all but one of my purchased birds are mostly green.

Although the purchase of my bourke's parakeet was heavily swayed by his color tongue.gif. But he is such a nice, tolerant, peaceful bird and I absolutely love him to death. I want like 20 bourke's parakeets, they are amazing birds. tongue.gif

I'm sorry you had to get rid of your flock, that's one of my biggest fears. I once knew a very fearful gold capped conure that gave the most vicious bites to anyone that got near him. I had scars from him for years, but those were all my fault for pushing him too fast. I handled and socialized him for months and months until he became one of the nicest, friendliest birds I've ever known. He was so amazing and I'll never forget him. I always regret not getting him, because the lady who owns him now is wealthy but not a good bird owner. While she was getting a timneh african grey, she impulse bought the gold capped conure at the same time. She said: "Might as well throw in the orange and green bird too." Ugh. I hated her so much. I put so much time and effort into that bird and she just whisked him away out of my life with her credit card. It's been 4 years and I still think about him. Gold caps have such a special place in my heart wub.gif.

Oh god yes, I adore Gold Caps. My Olive was such a sweetheart. She was my very first bird and the reason why I love birds so much. She was bonded to me and I was bonded to her.

I honestly didn't know very much about birds before I got her, and had never even heard of a Conure. I just walked into a pet store one day and saw this adorable little girl sitting there in her cage and I had never seen a bird like her, she fascinated me. I asked if I could hold her and she immediately stepped up for me and climbed up to my shoulder and started preening my hair. I fell in love instantly and just had to have her. It took a lot of convincing but eventually my mother gave in, she could see how much I wanted her. I actually thought Olive was a male until about 4 months later when I got her DNA'd and found out she was a girl, thus the name Olive. xd.png

But the day I brought her home, I immediately started researching everything I could about Conures. I was so worried about giving her the right food, toys, etc. I stumbled upon this wonderful bird forum and have been a member of it for many years. They taught me so much, I know more about birds than I ever thought I could. That is where the obsession started. Then I found craigslist and it was all over. I found it so sad to see so many ads for birds where they 'didn't have the time for them', 'they were too aggressive' or worse, 'their kids got tired of them' I just couldn't help but rescue them. The toughest one I tamed was the African Grey. She was a 17 year old grumpy brat at first. But she turned out to be a hilarious lovable little clown after a few months with me, she was certainly the character. But she was mostly my sister's bird. And although I adored all of my fids, Olive always held a special place in my heart.

When I had to rehome them all, I tried so hard to get someone to hold Olive until I was able to find a place of my own, but I just didn't have the time or money to do it. They were foreclosing on the house and my grandparents refused to let me have any pets. She was the last one I gave up, I held onto her for as long as I could but once they turned the electric off in the house, I knew it was over and I had to let her go. But they all went to a very nice rescue (run by a women I had known for years) and they all found fantastic homes, which is all I could ask for.

I was fully prepared to have them for the rest of their (or my) lives but I wasn't prepared for losing my mother and my home all within a few weeks. I had spent thousands on them, they all had the largest cages and the biggest and best toys and top quality food. They even had the biggest room in the entire house. I spent most of my time with them, they were my life.

I'm still struggling to get on my feet again. But when I do, I will most certainly be looking into finding a Gold Cap again. It probably won't be for another few years, but I still have my bub's cage and Java tree for when I am finally independent and stable.

But anyway, I could go on and on about birds all day so I'll just stop now. xd.png

Edit:: And I know how you feel. Once a bird has shoved it's way into your heart, you will never forget about them. All you can do is hope that they are in good hands and being treated right.

Edited by tikigurl91

Oh god yes, I adore Gold Caps. My Olive was such a sweetheart. She was my very first bird and the reason why I love birds so much. She was bonded to me and I was bonded to her.

I honestly didn't know very much about birds before I got her, and had never even heard of a Conure. I just walked into a pet store one day and saw this adorable little girl sitting there in her cage and I had never seen a bird like her, she fascinated me. I asked if I could hold her and she immediately stepped up for me and climbed up to my shoulder and started preening my hair. I fell in love instantly and just had to have her. It took a lot of convincing but eventually my mother gave in, she could see how much I wanted her. I actually thought Olive was a male until about 4 months later when I got her DNA'd and found out she was a girl, thus the name Olive. xd.png

But the day I brought her home, I immediately started researching everything I could about Conures. I was so worried about giving her the right food, toys, etc. I stumbled upon this wonderful bird forum and have been a member of it for many years. They taught me so much, I know more about birds than I ever thought I could. That is where the obsession started. Then I found craigslist and it was all over. I found it so sad to see so many ads for birds where they 'didn't have the time for them', 'they were too aggressive' or worse, 'their kids got tired of them' I just couldn't help but rescue them. The toughest one I tamed was the African Grey. She was a 17 year old grumpy brat at first. But she turned out to be a hilarious lovable little clown after a few months with me, she was certainly the character. But she was mostly my sister's bird. And although I adored all of my fids, Olive always held a special place in my heart.

When I had to rehome them all, I tried so hard to get someone to hold Olive until I was able to find a place of my own, but I just didn't have the time or money to do it. They were foreclosing on the house and my grandparents refused to let me have any pets. She was the last one I gave up, I held onto her for as long as I could but once they turned the electric off in the house, I knew it was over and I had to let her go. But they all went to a very nice rescue (run by a women I had known for years) and they all found fantastic homes, which is all I could ask for.

I was fully prepared to have them for the rest of their (or my) lives but I wasn't prepared for losing my mother and my home all within a few weeks. I had spent thousands on them, they all had the largest cages and the biggest and best toys and top quality food. They even had the biggest room in the entire house. I spent most of my time with them, they were my life.

I'm still struggling to get on my feet again. But when I do, I will most certainly be looking into finding a Gold Cap again. It probably won't be for another few years, but I still have my bub's cage and Java tree for when I am finally independent and stable.

But anyway, I could go on and on about birds all day so I'll just stop now. xd.png

Edit:: And I know how you feel. Once a bird has shoved it's way into your heart, you will never forget about them. All you can do is hope that they are in good hands and being treated right.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've only had Gylfie for a couple months; and I'd be crushed to have to give him up.

I hope everything gets better and you can get a conure once more. We saw s green cheeck at a petsmart, and she was adorable. Her cage was huge, too, all to herself, so it made me feel good about her.

i love bird wings~ i also really like raptors and predatory birds, like hawks and the such. i just like seeing their profiles i guess while they hunt ^^

as for pets, i dont own any. but my friend, named sue, has a few that talk. they're very sociable, and whenever she leaves the house they call "bye sue! i love you sue!" they're adorable~ smile.gif

Huge bird nerd; I've loved them all my life. Due to complicated circumstances throughout my childhood with having to move every 3ish years because of Dad's job (USMC), the only birds I'd really been able to hold onto were budgies. Now I'm in college, working on a Zoology degree, and only have my aquariums to keep me sane. wink.gif But I love going down to a friend's house 2 hours away once a month or so and having kissy-snuggle times with her Moluccan Cockatoo, and hanging out at the place she works at with a Pied Crow, White-necked Raven, and a mated Craven pair.

While on the topic of corvids, I personally find the idea of shooting them or treating them as pests absolutely sickening. Your average crow has the intelligence of a four-year-old child, can recognize faces, have ridiculously awesome memories, mourn their dead, perform ritual-like behaviors, and have huge variables in their languages. (Yeah, can you tell I like corvids? tongue.gif)

I really want a Maximillian or Blue-capped Pionus someday, if I can ever afford it. Maybe someday. smile.gif

I love birds! And I would love to have one as a pet but I have 2 cats that are active hunters so... yeah... Not the best idea to get a pet bird...

I too am also a lover of raptors also! My favourite one would probably be the Peregrine falcon.