stogucheme

ANSWERED:Blocking Users

Two ideas. First, I'll explain what they'd do. Then, why they'd be useful from both a user and project standpoint. 'Projects' refers to project accounts.

Spoiler Tag discussion goes here: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=100103

1.Spoiler Tags. A spoiler tag is a tag that you wrap around text, like you would a quote tag:

[QUOTE]This is a quote.[/QUOTE]
[SPOILER]This is a spoiler.[/SPOILER]

When you wrap it around text and post it, it will hide your text and put it under a spoiler button. So, instead of the above text showing, there would only be a button that states, "Read Spoiler."

This would be useful for users in hiding spoilers, like when discussing games. (A lot better than posting in white, IMHO.)

This would be useful for projects, like gifting projects, because their first few posts are usually longer than Rapunzel's hair. Example. So, putting the first 3 posts behind the spoiler tags would help the scroll bar to be actually clickable.

2.Blocking Users. If you choose to block someone, and they post in a thread you visit, instead of their post is a button that states, "Read Blocked Content." (The button works just like the spoiler tags above.)

THIS ONLY IS THIS WAY TO YOU. OTHERS WILL NOT GET THIS IF THEY DIDN'T BLOCK THAT USER. Blocked users will not know that they have been blocked, but there will possibly be a log somewhere so that mods can check out a user who is getting blocked a lot.

This would be useful for users because sometimes they believe so-and-so is a troll whom they don't wish to read (or something- this is just one example). If they don't read the posts, since there were already enough negative feelings for them to block them, they won't react to what the blocked user posts, which prevents drama from starting. (Mod benefit!)

This would be useful for projects because if they banned a user for something, they won't accidentally add them to a request list or whatever.

OPTIONAL: Users blocked by projects either 1) cannot post in threads made by the project, or 2) appear- in that thread only- as blocked to everybody.

Opinions?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Well, spoiler tags no doubt get my support. I actually think they'd be very useful.

On the other hand, I'm rather neutral on the second half.

I personally don't mind spoilers, so I'm neutral on spoiler tags.

But blocking users...not sure why this hasn't been added already.

Edited by Derranged

Well, spoiler tags no doubt get my support. I actually think they'd be very useful.

On the other hand, I'm rather neutral on the second half.

^This.

That's exactly what I was about to post...

So... Support pretty much.

it's also good for images in posts. even if the image isn't a "spoiler", if it's big or just takes a long time to load, it won't load or break any frames if in a spoiler tag. it also makes the posts nicer and more clean. smile.gif

blocking users doesn't make any sense unless you do not wish to receive mail from them. if it just so happens that someone posts something you don't like, i think the best course of action would be to ignore it.

I think that both ideas are great.

Minimizing contact with people that just plain get on your nerves would get rid of potential drama, and headaches.

I support both these - and blocking users - YES - I block someone on another Invision forum I'm on because they absolutely bring out the worst in me - not because they are a troll. Given some of the Drarmar that can happen here - I think if the people who explode at - the same other people ! - did just block them, it could cool things in some threads. Sure - one can be "sensible" and not react - but it isn't the way people are, let's face it. Well I find it hard, and at 67, most of my kneejerk reactions are long gone. Even so...

Actually it may have been me suggested it before - after I had blocked someone's PMs here...

Spoiler Tags - always useful.. never know when you'll need them

Blocking Users - 100% support.. there are some members that I'd like to dropkick into next week, so I'd love to not see any of their posts (too bad it probably wouldn't work on Mods tongue.gif )

Yeah I see a problem with blocking users. If you were roleplaying with other people, you wouldn't be able to see the other user and everyone else would.

Example: <Shadow> * picks up everyone *

and you wouldn't be able to see that he picked up you and everyone else and would cause confusen.

Maybe we could choose if you want to block them with PM or forum messagers?

Yeah I see a problem with blocking users. If you were roleplaying with other people, you wouldn't be able to see the other user and everyone else would.

and you wouldn't be able to see that he picked up you and everyone else and would cause confusen.

You can already block PMs.

But if you are role playing - you don't have to block anyone. If on the other hand someone is that annoying - well, they bring the blocking upon themselves, IMHO biggrin.gif

There are - as cinnamin says - a couple of people here who - well, I would at times behave better if I didn't see their posts at all... wink.gif

If someone is disrupting an RP enough to get themselves blocked.. I'd hope whomever is running the RP would ask them to leave. I don't think this is the type of posts we're talking about.

Some folk just love to cause drama, simply because they can. This is the type of player I want to block, because it's better to block someone like that than 'feed the troll' and make the drama worse. These folk only post when they can hurt someone's feelings... or find a way to sidetrack a topic.. or make something sound worse than it is.. etc. etc. They're sneaky and devious and usually only post often enough to keep the drama going then leave the thread when someone calls them on it.

Actually, you'd still get their post. Only, their post would now be a button that reads, "Read Blocked Content," instead of, "Well *I* think..." (Like the spoiler tags.) So, you could still get their posts. That work?

Although blocking users is not something I'd use - I like to see everyone's opinions about something, and I can never pass up a good debate - it would be very useful. And you could always unblock them. There would be no real harm that I can see: the worst that could happen would be that you might repeat someone's point.

Actually, you'd still get their post. Only, their post would now be a button that reads, "Read Blocked Content," instead of, "Well *I* think..." (Like the spoiler tags.) So, you could still get their posts. That work?

You are right of course - I forget that. So there's no problem even with RP.

And Cinnamin is right - there are some people that must NOT be encouraged - and sometimes it is SO hard NOT to feed the trolls... when they are being just AWFUL you SO want to say SHUT UP YOU censorkip.gif !

Saw this thread and thought I'd pop over here and bump this thread.

I support this idea. Also, I see a lot of references to not being able to see the posts... I don't know about the coding, but I know that on a lot of other forums, when you block someone, you can still click on the post to see what the person has said.

So it would say:

(Post hidden because you have AnnoyingUser blocked. To view this post, click here.)

Something like that. tongue.gif It just means that if there's someone who bothers you, or posts walls of text you don't want to have to read, you don't have to view their posts unless you *choose* to - and you can still click on them if you really want to or think you might have to.

Saw this thread and thought I'd pop over here and bump this thread.

I just came from the same post! x3

I just wanted to say that I don't agree with blocking people's posts entirely. However, I wouldn't be opposed to having the option to view that post. Like, what was suggested, a button or a link that says something like "(View this Post)". That way it's not just erasing someone's post. It's simply removing it from view unless you want to view it. :)

Although, could there be a way to block certain posts as well? Like, say there is a post that really irks you in a topic you're in, but you don't want to block the person entirely. Could there possibly be a button or link that says "Block This Post from View"?

Edited by MysticTiger

I just came from the same post! x3

I just wanted to say that I don't agree with blocking people's posts entirely. However, I wouldn't be opposed to having the option to view that post. Like, what was suggested, a button or a link that says something like "(View this Post)". That way it's not just erasing someone's post. It's simply removing it from view unless you want to view it. smile.gif

Although, could there be a way to block certain posts as well? Like, say there is a post that really irks you in a topic you're in, but you don't want to block the person entirely. Could there possibly be a button or link that says "Block This Post from View"?

I can't see what's wrong with blocking posts. Within invision there is the facility to hide them - as kerrikins says - what you get is "this post is hidden because you have chosen not to see thus user's posts" and there is a button to view an individual post. What is wrong with that ? Why should I have to read the posts of people who make me so angry that I am likely to cop myself a warn (*has short fuse* xd.png) - and why should all of you who hate MY posts have to read those ???

I can't see what's wrong with blocking posts. Within invision there is the facility to hide them - as kerrikins says - what you get is "this post is hidden because you have chosen not to see thus user's posts" and there is a button to view an individual post. What is wrong with that ? Why should I have to read the posts of people who make me so angry that I am likely to cop myself a warn (*has short fuse* xd.png) - and why should all of you who hate MY posts have to read those ???

I agree. This option is on other forums and it can be useful Granted I only needed to use it for one person, and I can't think of anyone here who I would need it for. It is also useful if someone likes to post in colored text that is hard to read or causes headaches/migraines.

I agree with you, fuzzbucket. I've seen many a time when blocking would have helped douse the starting flames of major drama.

The last time I was on a board without an 'Ignore,' flame wars ran rampant, which I found disheartening and very such a waste of everyone's time, as we could have been having conversations about things that folks actually enjoyed. (Although with trolls...disharmony and anger do seem to be what they love best, and I really worry about their home lives, if that's the case.)

While I'm not quite in fuzzbucket's age bracket, I'm still staring fifty up the nostrils, and life is just too short to waste with trolls. An ignore button would help decrease their activities, and help keep the peace that a majority of us are fond of, so please count me in support of this idea.

There have certainly been times when I would have used this, even if I blocked a particular person for 1 day or 1 thread. It could cut some of drama or need to respond when you know a response will be totally unprofitable.

I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 members whose posts I might have blocked, if I could have and it would only have been for the life of a thread, or perhaps for 24 hours.

Yes please. Blocking a user for a few hours or a day or if they regularly get under one's skin, all the time, can make a board function better. Sometimes people still want to participate in a thread but avoid reading the posts of a person that is really chapping their hide. It's a whole lot easier to not read what one has to make an effort to read.

This has my support. I'd use it every once in a while.

ETA: I don't support there being any function that reports this to anyone, however. If someone finds themselves blocked by hundreds of users, the mods don't need to know that. The mods don't need to know if I blocked PersonX for Y amount of time.

Edited by Princess Artemis

ETA: I don't support there being any function that reports this to anyone, however. If someone finds themselves blocked by hundreds of users, the mods don't need to know that. The mods don't need to know if I blocked PersonX for Y amount of time.

THIS absolutely has MY support. They may have done NOTHING wrong but tread on my personal bunions biggrin.gif If they are really trolling, I would have reported them as well.