Raun

Anyone else feel kind of sorry for 'Cave Blockers'

when i'm looking through my scroll and arranging it, i look at a common breed and stare at it for a bit sometimes...and i realize, 'wow, that is a pretty sprite'. so i go and collect more of them, which is what triggered my deep sea obsession right now.

what i'm saying, some commons are beautiful...and i feel bad i can't take them all. it's my egg limits that is stopping me from picking up every deep sea i see, because i do want slots for blacks, or rares, etc. if i could have 10 slots for deep seas, it would be amazing. but that isn't how it is.

some people are in this for rares, others for collecting, but there are those who love a common breed and would love to pick up that blocking whiptail or guardian or deep sea and care for it...but they are locked or already have 6 eggs of a blocker and want something else. D:

edit: typos.

Edited by lightningsky

I feel sorry for the Spriters who created the lovely dragons that we now have,, common or not they went to a lot of trouble to create each and every breed and, personally, I feel it is a shame to refer to them simply as "cave blockers"-once upon a time before the bsa pinks and reds were considered"cave blockers" too. Now they're greatly desired to assist with the managing of our scrolls. That said, for someone like myself who has a larger (though gosh knows there are many more with *huge* scrolls) and I have pretty much what I want (Holly where fore art thou?) I have very specific needs as to what I need to get and incorporate that into my breeding program. So it is a bit frustrating trying over and over again only to find that I haven't been able to say... pick up a CB Ice just to throw out an example because certain eggs just aren't being taken. It does take time and patience but, what with working full time, my hours hunting are limited. So I can see the other side as well.

Not really because cave blockers are always going to happen, no matter what, it's no one's fault it's just however the ratios are currently balanced. I've seen dragons go from being relatively rare to being fairly common and vice versa, it's how the game works.

*raises hand* Another whiptail lover over here. I've got quite the army of them... For example, this guy--every single dragon in his lineage lives on my scroll. I'm a little obsessed.

Back on-topic: yeah, sometimes I do feel kinda sorry for the eggs that just sit there, unwanted. I've also noticed that whiptails seem to be overly common, and since I love their sprites it just gives me one more reason to collect them. =)

Oh, wow, his lineage is awesome! I want to do something like that with mine. biggrin.gif

@Raun: Why would you abandon a breeding project if someone else has the same project? Just curious smile.gif I haven't done much breeding myself yet, so I'd definitely simply continue my project. After all, it can be a personal project, right?

That's true, but I felt a little bad for 'stealing' the idea. We had basically the same idea with similar names, inspired by a movie. I'm sure we both could have, but I know if I had the idea first, I probably would have felt a little annoyed at someone for basically copying, even on accident.

That in mind, I didn't just release my eggs or anything. I raised each and every one to an adult, and released them unbred. In my mind, adult dragons are perfectly capable of surviving on their own in the wilds, so I didn't really feel bad about it. I just sort of looked at it like someone raising orphan animals and then returning them to their natural habitat. smile.gif

And yes, I do feel bad for the artists as well. They put a lot of work in and it is a shame people pass by an egg because its a 'cave blocker'. Personally, I think a lot of the rares are much prettier than the 'rares', but to each his own.

And the AP eggs don't always end up well. I tried to click on an egg, forgetting I was full. On impulse, I watched the egg a few hours.... It was killed. The scroll had no vampire or anything. They just killed the egg, I assume to get rid of the 'blocker' since they had killed four whiptails and a bunch of others recently. They had a lot of dead eggs without even a click on them. The egg had 6 days too. sad.gif

Edited by Raun

I don't really feel sorry for cave blockers (at least not in some emotional way or anything). The way I see it, for every person who doesn't like a certain breed, another person does. That's why we get people with massive armies of a single breed. Sometimes I'll be looking for things to lock my scroll with and I'll go grab a handful of cave blockers because I do love those particular hatchling sprites.

People just don't "like" cave blockers because taking those inhibit them from being able to get potentially 'better' eggs. Personally, I find people who complain about not being able to see rares due to commons and not picking up any blockers themselves more annoying than the concept of cave blockers themselves. rolleyes.gif

I feel sorry for the eggs and the spriters that created them. Spitfires and Whiptails aren't my favourite dragons out there, but I do love some of the other types of cave-blockers, like the Mints, Water Horses and the Guardians. I've decided that my New Years Resolution is to catch some more of the common types of dragons and to join the CCC. smile.gif

That's true, but I felt a little bad for 'stealing' the idea. We had basically the same idea with similar names, inspired by a movie. I'm sure we both could have, but I know if I had the idea first, I probably would have felt a little annoyed at someone for basically copying, even on accident.

Ah, I see smile.gif Well, I've only started checking to see if someone else has already started a project with the combination of Daydream and Seasonal dragons (spring, summer, winter, autumn), since that's a personal breeding project I'm currently working on setting up. I guess it's worth keeping in mind that someone might already have it. But if I find it, I'll simply adjust my project. That's doable right now.

And Yay for only releasing the adult dragons. They certainly can survive in the wild!

I feel bad for the artists too. They have done a great deal of work and it's a shame to call the dragons caveblockers. I can imagine, though, that some can now be caveblockers whereas the more uncommon ones (or rare or whatever) might become caveblockers in the future. I guess that's how nature works as well.

And the AP eggs don't always end up well. I tried to click on an egg, forgetting I was full. On impulse, I watched the egg a few hours.... It was killed. The scroll had no vampire or anything. They just killed the egg, I assume to get rid of the 'blocker' since they had killed four whiptails and a bunch of others recently. They had a lot of dead eggs without even a click on them. The egg had 6 days too. sad.gif

I checked a scroll that had no less then 7 killed eggs!!! If you're gonna kill the eggs anyway, why not just leave them in the cave for someone else to pick up? I mean, I can imagine new players may be as happy with them as someone else!

I even spotted 2 Tinsels (I think, the reflective description?) that had no views/clicks. That's a shame......

Maybe there should be something like an oath for "one scroll per player"? Perhaps we can have an oath for picking up at least one of the AP eggs per week or something like that? That might help too.....

Anyway, on a side note: I wish everyone a good day today and be safe with all the fireworks!

Back on topic: I can see some eggs begging to be taken. I still think the dragons can feel it if they're "dismissed", just like the dragon eggs in the Eragon series can feel things. They are a rather special breed of species, are they not? Just any dragon, I mean smile.gif

Edited by Sheriziya

Most of my favorite dragons are commons, therefor I catch as many as possible of those. Still, I don't really feel sorry for them, the only breed that I've felt sorry for is the Frills. I loved them really much and I still love them.

I've accepted the fact that there's always some breeds that is the cave blockers, but it changes after a while. I just hope that none of them end up like the Frills did (yes, I know that they filled the AP because people got them instead of the other "strange markings"-eggs and abandoned them).

It's not really the cave blockers I feel sorry for, but rather the artists who designed them. Imagine if you worked for months on a dragon concept, only to hear people complain about how much of a nuisance your dragon is. This is your dragon, the one you poured hours and hours into perfecting, the one whose unique personality you created and love, and everyone around you keeps saying, "_____ is so lame, I wish I had a gold!" or "Darn _____ is taking up an egg slot and I can't hunt for rares."

If I had a sprite that was common enough for people to complain about, I would ask TJ to make them more common. Because I'm childish and I think people need to get over things being common and "blockers"

I also don't feel sorry for the sprites normally, but every once in a blue moon I might just a little. It's mostly with magis though. I started collecting them before they had a BSA and when they were much more common. People now only grudgingly pick them up and I've heard repeatedly that they're "ugly" because of the neon orange coloring. They're the only true orange dragon in the cave so I'm happy to have them.

Couldn't it have been an Earthquake failure? If they wanted an egg slot that's the best way to go; killed eggs (by Earthquake, Bite attempt, Kill action) take up a slot for 24 hours.

I'm no rare hoarder; I hoard whatever's useful and/or pretty. I don't like having two Thunders or three Magis or nine Reds. And I've recently started AP rescuing again, and I plan on hoarding Misfits and Dark Mysts. No, they aren't the most common, but I can always collect those later.

I was just wondering if anyone else felt some sympathy for the common 'cave blockers'.

I do! But I feel more sympathy for AP-blockers cause the least popular breeds just sit...and sit...and sit there for ages. I don't really hunt in the cave as much unless there's really something I want, so I don't pay so much attention to the eggs created by the site every hour and five minutes.

But something about seeing a wall of AP eggs just tugs at a heartstring or two. I say a heartstring or two because I'm still like, "Meh, I only want dragons that I want on my scroll!" So even though I feel sorry for the AP eggs, usually I'll only pick up an egg of a dragon that I actually like or sort of like. And if I want something else later on, well, sorry eggie, it's back to the AP you go!

I do get what you mean though. xd.png I sometimes wish we could pick up a limitless number of eggs, because then I could pick up as many AP eggs as I want and still breed eggs of dragons that I actually like. :3 But then it'd be a lot harder for anyone to get eggs if everyone could have so many at once.

As far as I know it was complaints about Frills blocking the cave that got them discontinued; my info may be wrong but that's what I keep getting told. Personally I love the Frill sprites and wonder why people had to complain about them. So yeah, I feel sorry for the blockers- and if you'll look at the Nocturne and Gray armies on my scroll you'll see I love some of the commons. Even to an extent the Sparks, though I stopped actively collecting those.

Even though I freeze them, I felt bad for all the abandoned CB Spitfires. The day I decided to make a lyric army was the day I started hoarding little Spitfire hatchlings. Look at that army - I have over 40 of them, and I usually raise two or three from eggs at a time. I'm going to do the whole song. XD

When I go to the AP, I either get Spitfires, pick up a random egg for giggles - usually ends up being CB, but you wouldn't believe what I caught a few days ago. That little sucker is going to be the mate for one of my Electrics, and then the egg produced will be my Bronze Tinsel's mate. Even-gen Tinselfails, here I come! >:D

EDIT :: Fixed the last sentence there. I was thinking of my sequence of breeding wrong. XD

Edited by Tetra Kataki

Though they're not exactly cave blockers, I've started collecting Dorsals. I find it rather surprising, because I'm not exactly fond of the sprite... But there's something in them that makes me want to create tons of different kinds of lineages.

Vines have become my second passion and I keep getting more and more. <.<

However overall it's sad to say, I'm really bad at keeping common eggs. sad.gif When I'm bored I like to hunt for cool stuff and when I'm locked... Something has to go. Most of the time that's the main reason I don't take cave blockers from the biomes: I know I will simply abandon it as soon as possible due to the urge to have an open spot to hunt with..

If I had more scroll space (oh 7 is not enough xd.png) those waterhorses and skywings hanging around the Coast would be gone. They're amongst my favourite breeds and I feel sad every time I see them stuck in the cave.

Couldn't it have been an Earthquake failure? If they wanted an egg slot that's the best way to go; killed eggs (by Earthquake, Bite attempt, Kill action) take up a slot for 24 hours.

I'm no rare hoarder; I hoard whatever's useful and/or pretty. I don't like having two Thunders or three Magis or nine Reds. And I've recently started AP rescuing again, and I plan on hoarding Misfits and Dark Mysts. No, they aren't the most common, but I can always collect those later.

I didn't see a Green Dragon on the scroll, but it is possible? Either way, it just kind of made me sad. It was a young, healthy egg with plenty of time to grow and...gone. Yeah, I know it's pixels. It just still tugged at my heart-strings a little.

And yeah, I wish I could take just a few more eggs. I know it's probably selfish to want to be able to take 6 or 7 instead of just 4, but if I did, I would still have it be all Whiptails. I'm compelled to check the AP at least a couple times a day and I always, always see at least 4 or 5 Whiptails, usually cave-born, just...sitting there, refresh after refresh. I want to take them home with me. sad.gif

That said, I am grateful for the sprites and the site. I'm not really complaining. Just being a little sappy for the pixels, I guess. wub.gif

I do love some of the more common dragons.

BBWs and

waters have gorgeous sprites

and skywings

to name a few

and if you pick the last two up you can breed beautiful blunas too as an added bonus.

I like the magi too and mints and waterhorses are sweet.

and I would pick up Cb pinks even if they were common they are just so beautiful

Edited by velvet_paw

That's true! It's nice that some more common breeds can get together to produce a 'special' breed. Blunas and Shallow-Waters are some of my favorite sprites as well. biggrin.gif

I don't feel sorry for the dragons, but I do have to /roll eyes at it a bit. It feels like when people have to put some kind of designer label on something and to make it *cool* to have that thing. Gucci, Guess, Polo, etc etc. I guess it depends on if you need/want others to admire your dragons or if you want to admire them yourself or some mix thereof. IE: Others need some kind of value to rate things to, be it rarity or theme. You, just need to like the sprite and colors.

I don't really get emotionally attached to the eggs, unless I've bred them or they're special to me. But I will go out of my way to pick up caveborn eggs that show up on the AP, and inbred eggs with messy lineages. And I've been picking up more of the "cave blockers" for a while, since I pretty much have everything collected that I want. Now I'm in this for the breeding, and... saving as many eggs as possible, really. Which is why I'm egglocked yet again. wink.gif

I'm making an effort to pick up more of some of the very common breeds that I don't have many of, even if just to freeze as hatchlings. Whiptails are definitely on that list. I really should be building a whiptail army...

I get attached sometimes. Sometimes an egg just kind of tugs at me, silly as it sounds.

I rescued two cave-bred Whiptails from the AP just today and I'm oddly pleased about it. They'll go from unwanted to me raising them up and probably breeding them for my own little Whiptail Clan/Army in the making. biggrin.gif

I do feel sorry for them, and the ones in the AP that are CB sad.gif But i grab em as I love commons and use them in a lot of Lineage projects so they have a use.

But I neva seem to find rarer dragons in the cave sad.gif and my scroll is lacking in them so i don t have anything to trade for them either, so commons it is LOL. xd.png

Yes, I feel sorry for them, but it's annoying. I've recently decided to get back into DC a bit more, and literally every time when I go to the Volcano biome it's only guardian and mint eggs. It's been several days now, and I've only seen two eggs of other types in that period.

I'm tossing around ideas of my next breeding project.

I might do Guardians next. biggrin.gif

I also am working on a idea for Greens, Stones, and Geodes that I think will be fun.