Raun

Anyone else feel kind of sorry for 'Cave Blockers'

Maybe it's because I'm kind of new to Dragon Cave, but it makes me a little sad to see so many people talking about 'Cave Blockers' and 'move them along for the rares'.

I mean, I understand there are a lot more of some of them (Canopies, Whiptails, etc.) than the rares, but I just sort of picture this lonely little egg sitting in a biome waiting and people just walking by with an annoyed expression because it's not the right breed/color. I guess I'm kind of silly for feeling that way. unsure.gif

Honestly, I love some of the common dragons' looks and descriptions, more than some of the rarer ones. I know to each his own, but I still feel kind of bad for all the 'less special' eggs getting ignored or picked up just to be abandoned as soon as possible.

That said, I've been waffling a bit with what dragon type I want to collect. I'm one of those strange people who like purebred breeding projects and I wanted to pick just one species to focus on. I've had a few false starts (one aborted breeding project because I realized I accidentally copied someone else's idea), but I think I finally decided what I want to do.

Even if I'm full, I tend to poke around at the cave during drops. Day after day (other than the Holidays), I see so many Whiptail eggs in the forest. Often times, not one egg seems to move. They all just sit there "eagerly shaking" and hopeful (at least I think so), only to be passed by. sad.gif

I actually had an idea drifting around the forum and abruptly realized that Whiptails would fit in beautifully with the idea I had. I think I'm going to focus on being a 'home' for Whiptails and giving them some attention and love. biggrin.gif

Anyone else feel sorry or a little moved by the 'plight' of the common/cave blocker dragons?

it just depends really. the dragons you love someone else may not fancy and vice versa. some people may not even like the rares but they still get picked up because of their trade value.

one of my faves, daydreams, used to be a big blocker but recently i've seen them block less and people are making nice lineages with them. i also personally really like electrics - haven't seen much in the way of lineage collecting there but that doesn't mean it can't happen in the future.

on the flip side it also seems balloons are doing a bit better too. they are not a dragon that tickles my fancy but i have seen some with awe inspiring lineages just because some other people are big fans.

in the end, you can't really force people to pick up dragons they don't like - only encourage and i think that's something a lot of those projects try to do. because when you have all the biomes blocked by 2 or 3 breeds, even with all the new main cave slots (i've seen it happen a few times) everything is at a standstill and the game gets really boring, really fast.

The thing is, there will always be cave blockers. I don't feel sorry for them because I know someone will eventually pick them up; it doesn't have to be me, and I don't have to care about one egg I see blocking the cave. Eventually those eggs will become less common and others will take their place. There are so many that, even if 100 people collect them, there'll always be more. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Oh, I understand that. I'm not saying everyone has to like what I like, naturally. biggrin.gif

I was just wondering if anyone else felt some sympathy for the common 'cave blockers'.

The thing is, there will always be cave blockers. I don't feel sorry for them because I know someone will eventually pick them up; it doesn't have to be me, and I don't have to care about one egg I see blocking the cave. Eventually those eggs will become less common and others will take their place. There are so many that, even if 100 people collect them, there'll always be more. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm not sure that's how it works. I mean, yes, there will always be cave blockers, but each egg has a set time before it dies, doesn't it?

So, that in mind, if someone grabs it and then throws it into the AP pile after 5 hours and no one picks it up because its a common, it's gone, I assume. That in mind, I feel a little sorry for it, even if it is pixels. Humanizing it, I know, but it's just sort of a reflex.

And I don't remember saying anything was 'broke'? huh.gif I just said I personally feel a little bad for the eggs that get passed by, or picked up only because people want them out of the way so they can abandon them later.

Occasionally I'll go on a "mass cave hunt" to a specific biome and grab all eggs from one slot. Common most of the time. Cave 'blockers' even more... just to get them out of the way. I'll fill up all seven slots, hatch 'em and throw 'em into the AP so they get snatched up as hatchies smile.gif (everyone loves hatchlings it seems) and sometimes I'll keep the commons if I feel like it.

Yes, sometimes I do feel sad for the eggs that are left there. :c It's a little depressing thinking that no one wants x breed enough that it's been sitting in a biome for 15 minutes. But even so, I don't pick up blockers just to unblock the cave. I do try to come up with projects that involve commons though. (:

I'm not sure that's how it works. I mean, yes, there will always be cave blockers, but each egg has a set time before it dies, doesn't it?

So, that in mind, if someone grabs it and then throws it into the AP pile after 5 hours and no one picks it up because its a common, it's gone, I assume. That in mind, I feel a little sorry for it, even if it is pixels. Humanizing it, I know, but it's just sort of a reflex.

And I don't remember saying anything was 'broke'? huh.gif I just said I personally feel a little bad for the eggs that get passed by, or picked up only because people want them out of the way so they can abandon them later.

An egg has 7 days before it dies. Eggs are usually picked up in under an hour, AP or Biome. :3

And I just meant I don't feel bad about it because there's nothing to feel bad about; the egg will get adopted one way or another.

As for abandoning them later? I'm against that. I feel a bit of responsibility for the eggs I pick up. I keep track of eggs I breed and abandon, or eggs I grab and abandon. If I pick something upon saying I own it. And I don't throw away my belongings.

Well I for one, agree about feeling sorry for the caveblockers. It's the same with common tinselfails (I see a million Tinsel x Terrae a day in the AP). I've started a naming project involving Horse Dragons, so occasionally I'll go to their biome and fill up the rest of my slots (which usually aren't many xd.png) with them.

Yeah, I know it's a little silly. tongue.gif

I mean, they are pixels, not real breathing creatures. I guess they just sort of take on a 'life' in my head so I feel bad thinking about those lonely eggs, sitting on a pile somewhere, time running out because they were born the wrong species, or they were not laid the 'right' one (like the Tinselfails).

I'm not telling anyone what they need to collect or breed or anything. I was just musing mostly about feeling sort of bad for the ones everyone refers to as 'cave blockers'. For some reason, it's the Whiptails that made me the most sad. They seem so eager and high-energy, like a puppy wiggling around in a pet-shop window, wanting desperately to go home with someone, only to have people usually just walk by without a glance.

Yeah, I'm a dork. laugh.gif

Edited by Raun

I don't think it's too silly, really, when you stop and consider that part of the fun of the game lies in imagining the dragons are more than just pixels. Of couse that's going to have a downside too. If you develop an attachment to your own dragons, odds are you might start developing an attachment to every other dragon, too. xd.png

I often feel badly for cave-blockers, and for commons that fill up the AP that nobody seems to want. I tend to pick 'favourite breeds' and just sort of grab them whenever I'm not working on a project or hunting for something specific. Mostly Grays and Guardians in my case.

Deciding to gather up dragons like Whiptails or to do breeding projects with commons that you like seems to be the best solution, in my opinion. I mean, there are some very common eggs that I'll never pick up, because I just don't care for the breed. So I make up for it by sort of 'championing' the ones I do like and leaving the rest in someone else's hands.

All I know is that the holiday story about Pebblenezer Scrooge made me grab a Green egg the other day. xd.png

So yeah, I feel bad for the little guys.

I don't think it's too silly, really, when you stop and consider that part of the fun of the game lies in imagining the dragons are more than just pixels. Of couse that's going to have a downside too. If you develop an attachment to your own dragons, odds are you might start developing an attachment to every other dragon, too. xd.png

I often feel badly for cave-blockers, and for commons that fill up the AP that nobody seems to want. I tend to pick 'favourite breeds' and just sort of grab them whenever I'm not working on a project or hunting for something specific. Mostly Grays and Guardians in my case.

Deciding to gather up dragons like Whiptails or to do breeding projects with commons that you like seems to be the best solution, in my opinion. I mean, there are some very common eggs that I'll never pick up, because I just don't care for the breed. So I make up for it by sort of 'championing' the ones I do like and leaving the rest in someone else's hands.

Yes, that's pretty much how I'm looking at it.

I can't 'save' all the commons, but I can champion at least one. biggrin.gif

I think I'm going to adopt Whiptails as my personal favorites. I love their description and their sprites are very cute. I am hoping I can contact the person who originally came up with the concept to learn more about the breed. A lot of breeds have more information than is listed in the short paragraph on their official page.

Maybe if I give them some attention and love, some others will too. I haven't seen Whiptails given much, not even in lineage projects.

Despite what I've said previously, I do feel badly for some eggs. x3 Especially Neotropicals. Poor Neos. D: They must not be wanted at all if I could grab hatchling back when I had a fairly slow connection and less than a month of experience at DC.

I feel sorry for eggs in the AP because they are decidedly unwanted. I mean, no one abandons an egg into the Biomes, so no one has truly rejected them. In the AP though, someone's saying "I don't want this egg and I don't care what happens to it." Most of the time, anyway.

Despite what I've said previously, I do feel badly for some eggs. x3 Especially Neotropicals. Poor Neos. D: They must not be wanted at all if I could grab hatchling back when I had a fairly slow connection and less than a month of experience at DC.

I feel sorry for eggs in the AP because they are decidedly unwanted. I mean, no one abandons an egg into the Biomes, so no one has truly rejected them. In the AP though, someone's saying "I don't want this egg and I don't care what happens to it." Most of the time, anyway.

Yeah, I feel bad for the ones in the AP, especially the cave-born ones. That means someone picked them up and then dumped them as soon as they could. sad.gif

I normally do, but given that I'm stuck with my 4 egg limitation, I feel so tempted to abandon some eggs sometimes. There are times I do them on purpose though, especially if I get sick for a day or two and fail to give them views, and the egg runs low on time. It turns out some people love low-time eggs, for any of the reasons they have. xd.png (I only really abandon cave borns if they're at > 3 days, and I track their codes, and see that someone was able to get them raised into a hatchie, in my inability to do so.)

Then there are those times when I breed, but I forget that I'm on my limit/I can only get an egg free 2 hours from that time, and so it gets auto'd. What made me feel most sad was when the first thing I bred was never adopted, so it ended up dying. :C Makes me sometimes consider only breeding when my scroll isn't full.

There are times when I think "eh, they're just pixels", but for example, I took two of those spitfires, thinking that they might be stripes (hey, the descriptions for the eggs are the same,) but I think I'm going to keep them both - I have some plans with spitfires right now.

I think I'm going to adopt Whiptails as my personal favorites. I love their description and their sprites are very cute. I am hoping I can contact the person who originally came up with the concept to learn more about the breed. A lot of breeds have more information than is listed in the short paragraph on their official page.

Maybe if I give them some attention and love, some others will too. I haven't seen Whiptails given much, not even in lineage projects.

*raises hand* Another whiptail lover over here. I've got quite the army of them... For example, this guy--every single dragon in his lineage lives on my scroll. I'm a little obsessed.

Back on-topic: yeah, sometimes I do feel kinda sorry for the eggs that just sit there, unwanted. I've also noticed that whiptails seem to be overly common, and since I love their sprites it just gives me one more reason to collect them. =)

I too feel sorry for the abandoned/ "blocker" eggs. I've decided for myself that for each egg I take out of the biome caves, I'll take on from the abandoned cave too. Right..... I've got place for 5 eggs, so that might give me room for breeding eggs too for a project of mine.

@Raun: Why would you abandon a breeding project if someone else has the same project? Just curious smile.gif I haven't done much breeding myself yet, so I'd definitely simply continue my project. After all, it can be a personal project, right?

One of my favorite dragons is the Daydream species. I was sad to see those are the "blockers". I had already started a personal breeding project before I saw it on the Glomp thread. If I had not already seen it, I might have spontaneously started a breeding project for that species smile.gif

As for abandoning eggs or hatchlings..... I don't think I can do that. Well, if I'm going to breed, I had no other choice if I get more then one egg, but eggs that I take from the cave/AP will stay with me smile.gif It will help me in the end to get one of my goals completed: Have a pair (where possible) from each species. And I hope to have a complete series (hatchling m/f, adults m/f) of all species at some time (where possible).

Maybe I'm a collector of some kind..... I guess it can help saving the abandoned dragons... A few eggs per week smile.gif

Anyway, just my two cents on all of this smile.gif It is a very interesting topic, though smile.gif

I've never really thought of it that way. I mean, I'm sorta attached to my own dragons--- I give them names and descriptions so that every one's unique. But with AP eggs... the way I see it is that there's always going to be breeds that are more plentiful, and clog up the AP. Like now, where people will trade their souls for Hollies, because they're rare, but if Hollies were common and Greens were rare, people would be trading their souls for Greens instead. It will always happen, and there will always be someone hunting for that ugly lineaged Green for freezing they need to complete their collection. But in a sense, yes, I guess I do feel sorry for the unwanted AP eggs. But one person's trash is another person's treasure. They won't stay unwanted for long.

It's not really the cave blockers I feel sorry for, but rather the artists who designed them. Imagine if you worked for months on a dragon concept, only to hear people complain about how much of a nuisance your dragon is. This is your dragon, the one you poured hours and hours into perfecting, the one whose unique personality you created and love, and everyone around you keeps saying, "_____ is so lame, I wish I had a gold!" or "Darn _____ is taking up an egg slot and I can't hunt for rares."

From what I've heard, the frill sprite artist asked for them to be discontinued because of this treatment. I would hate to see any of the other breeds leave Dragon Cave in the same way.

My water army started in 2009 when I'd grab them to help free up the main cave.

I really like Magmas, even if they aren't a cave blocker, and I really haate Hollies and Golds. Silvers are okay, but both of those sprites need a serious revamp. They're both boring to look at. :/. But yes, I agree. I really like Red's, mostly for the BSA they offer.

e; I'm also giving out Electric X Ember, since I despise harvest.

Edited by Ashes The Second

I don't feel "sorry" so much as slightly guilty for passing them up for "better" things. They're common, so they should be taking up more space on my scroll. This is the reason I don't hoard rares. I have my Gold Trophy, but only 3 Silvers, 1 Gold, and smaller numbers of other rares that people covet so much. I collect inbreds just so they are cared for, and have made myself obsessed with Mints - which filled the AP when I joined. I want my scroll to at least semi-represent the biology of the cave. Barring the massive number of Mints and eventually Sun Stones. Maybe Nocturnes. And Greens. And whatever other common I feel like collecting. Likely to be blockers.

Actually, some of that is just convenience. I don't need to hunt for hours for that next CB Mint I need, they breed like rabbits, and I don't need to spazz click them on the AP/cave while crossing my fingers that my slow connection just happened to be fast enough to get it first. All of this equals very little frustration, and with PB lineages you'll always get the right kind of egg when you get one. tongue.gif

So basically, I've convinced myself not to actively hunt rares. I'll take them when I can, but pushing aside nice lined/CB commons in hopes of a rare isn't worth my trouble. Cave blockers are my no-headache friends! xd.png

I think it would help if some of the cave blockers' eggs/sprites were updated a bit. From my aesthetic standpoint, the Spitfires and Guardians are my least favorite with their bland coloring.

I plan in picking up a few more Neotropicals, Skywings and BBWs because I like their vibrant colors. I'm also a fan of Water Horse and Deep Sea dragons so I'll pick them up occasionally.

I do kinda feel sorry for all the unwanted dragons but then again Ive always been sensitive thanks to my mom making me feel like I was hurting those poor vegetables feelings when I left them uneaten on my plate.

I also sometimes have a problem with over-anthropomorphizing things like cars, pictures, inanimate objects, etc.

If it helps, remind yourself that the DRAGONS from these breeds are not unwanted or rejected-- drop a whiptail hatchie on the AP and see how long it stays there. :-) Eggs, even if they were real, would not yet know that people don't like them as well as differently-colored eggs. By the time they hatch, they have found a nice home with somebody who appreciates them, so you don't need to feel bad for them!