Rosedamai

optional lineage hide button

okay, I understand that, by the looks of topics like this http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=128895 or by the looks of people who kill off messy lineaged dragons, that people do get annoyed by those with messy and/or inbred dragons.

What I am suggesting is not to make a lineage go away. The effect of this action would be visible to you and you only.

How about if people were able to 'hide' their dragon's lineages so that they do not have to see them any more? That way, you don't have to look at your dragon's irritating lineage. Again, this is for your aesthetic sake only. For example, one of my earliest dragons have a very messy and inbred lineage (http://dragcave.net/lineage/1SLr9). I do wish that I had a cb skywing or perhaps I should release/kill her. However I've not the heart to do that. By using the hide lineage action, only I would be able to view her as a cb/2nd gen ect. Anyone else would see all of her lineage in full glory. Also, as I am viewing her lineage there would be a message underneath saying that the dragon's lineage had been hidden. In addition this is only applicable to frozen hatchlings and adults.

When breeding, there would be also be a text underneath saying something along the lines of: Warning-this dragon's lineage had been hidden. Do you still wish to continue breeding? Or something along those lines so as to not create confusion.

I don't reeeeaally see this deflating the price of cb dragons as it only affects how you, the scroll keeper, views them. It does not affect how others may view them and all along, there would be a message underneath saying that the dragon's lineage had been hidden.

What do you think?

Edited by ylangylang

This sounds pretty useless to me. If you don´t want to see the dragon´s lineage just don´t click the "view lineage" button and pretend it was caveborn? huh.gif

I think the point is - people who kill messy inbred lineages don't do it just because they do not want to see it - they do it (well at least I do it) because for every cracked inbred egg the chance for a shiny new cb is there.

Although lately, I needed my slots too much to care about inbred eggs, it was much more fun while Earthquake was still a useful BSA sad.gif

Besides, I promise that if I get a shiny CB for a messy inbred of the same color, I won't kill them anymore. But unless there is a free exchange, I will occasionally bite, freeze or even kill long lineaged or inbred dragons. And I doubt that will ever happen, because despite all the moaning and complaining about how valuable these are, I never seen anyone offer to trade a cb black, vine etc for messy lineaged ones ...

Maybe we can have a blackmail topic in trading - If you do not give me a cb pillow I am going to smash this inbred pillow egg to bits ... tongue.gif (just kidding)

This sounds pretty useless to me. If you don´t want to see the dragon´s lineage just don´t click the "view lineage" button and pretend it was caveborn? huh.gif

The thing is, many people do get annoyed by the fact that their dragons' lineages are messy or inbred. You cannot hope to change the fact itself-but you can stop having to scroll through ridiculous amounts of dragons just to find yours. I do see my dragons lineages once in a while and I do wish they were prettier. It's just there for the comfort. I just don't like having to scroll through tons of dragons.

Yes you can opt to just not see it but for those of you who do, it can exist as a sort of comfort. Just because you would rather pretend that it's cb doesn't mean that there aren't anyone who gets annoyed by the fact that when you look at your dragons there's the parent names and everything.

In fact I would like to tweak this feature so that it'd hide the parents' name too.

This sounds reasonable. Other persons know the thruth about your dragons and you can't cross them in trades. I would also add a little sign on the dragons pages (This dragon's lineage is hidden), so that I can automaticlly now that it has a lineage I don't like and that I don't want to breed.

Nah. It'd make things so dull if you could just make lineageless dragons out of everything on your scroll. I've got dragons whose parents I've killed to clean out a lineage, but the tombstone still stands to show that they're not caveborn.

Nah. It'd make things so dull if you could just make lineageless dragons out of everything on your scroll. I've got dragons whose parents I've killed to clean out a lineage, but the tombstone still stands to show that they're not caveborn.

^this^

I have loads of weird lineages. That's part of the fun smile.gif

Okay, I misunderstood this the first time I read it. Now I'm not really getting the point.

If you don't wanna see lineages, just... don't look at the lineage? If you don't care about the lineages, and it's still visible to all other users, why do you need to hide it?

Okay, I misunderstood this the first time I read it. Now I'm not really getting the point.

If you don't wanna see lineages, just... don't look at the lineage? If you don't care about the lineages, and it's still visible to all other users, why do you need to hide it?

Ok I'm getting this 'if you don't care just don't look' thing quite often and-

what's the point if lineages then? They are there for aesthetic reasons only. They don't change what your dragon is or how the sprite looks like. This is also for aesthetic values only. Keep in mind that just cuz you don't mind having to scroll through tons of dragons doesn't mean that others don't mind too.

But for someone who doesn't care about the lineage, how does it matter one way or the other if the dragon's got one, visible or otherwise? I'm not understanding why you need to hide the lineage of your dragons on your own scroll when it only appears by listing "Mother" "Father" and "Lineage" on the individual dragon's page. It doesn't change anything else about how it appears on your scroll or anything.

I'm not understanding how hiding lineage does anything except remove those three lines from the dragon's page, which I don't even look at much except when I'm going to breed something.

Neutral. Don't see a real negative effect, but is there truly any point? The game would be too easy.

But for someone who doesn't care about the lineage, how does it matter one way or the other if the dragon's got one, visible or otherwise? I'm not understanding why you need to hide the lineage of your dragons on your own scroll when it only appears by listing "Mother" "Father" and "Lineage" on the individual dragon's page. It doesn't change anything else about how it appears on your scroll or anything.

I'm not understanding how hiding lineage does anything except remove those three lines from the dragon's page, which I don't even look at much except when I'm going to breed something.

A agree. I'm not understanding the point of this, either. If you don't want to see your dragons' lineages, don't look. If you're saying that even seeing the parents names (or codes) bother you...then I really don't know what to say to that. O.o

I kind of get what you're saying, and kind of not.

It seems to me that you're saying that you don't want to scroll through all the dragons on the lineage page to get to your dragon, and that you find it asthetically displeasing. This part I get and, while I wouldn't use it, like stogucheme said, if it's only invisible to you, and everyone else can see the lineage, then it doesn't really affect other players, so who cares how you want to view your scroll?

Here's what I don't understand. If you turned off lineages on your scroll, then all you'd ever see is one dragon. While that may be nice and tidy, other people are correct in asking what the point is, because then there's no reason to even go to the lineage page, and you can just not go under the current setup. I mean, it's not even as if you could turn off the messy lineages and then just view the lovely lineages you can make after that, because you wouldn't be able to see those lineages, either.

Unless what you're suggesting is doing it dragon by dragon. In that case, it might be easier to just have a scroll-wide option to only show dragons on your scroll on lineage pages, which would allow you to see the lineages you create but no other dragons, but would be less customizable. I guess it depends which would be easier to program and best in regard to cave resources, and I have no idea about that part of it.

I think that some of it comes down to the issue of how lineages work as far as the internal logic of the game. If they're nothing more than records we keep, then altering them seems like it would be possible - especially if we're talking about something that only affects our view of our own scroll. If they're something else - perhaps a spell is used to discover the lineage (which would explain how we know the lineage of abandoned dragons - then it might not be alterable.

But, overall, I'm rather ambivalent about the whole thing. If there's some kind of technical or game logic downside, then I wouldn't support it. But other than that, how a person wants to see their dragons, when it's only the scroll owner who can see it that way, it really doesn't affect me, so why shouldn't they get to be happy?

Edited by skauble

The only interpretation I can think of that would give this suggestion a purpose is that the OP wants it to be scroll-specific, and considering the complaints about seeing other people's dragons, that could be the case.

As in, if you have two CB dragons and breed them, the offspring would show the parents. If you pick up a pair of bred AP eggs and breed them, the offspring would show the parents, and no more. If you then breed those two children, the offspring would show parents and grandparents, and stop there.

If that is what the OP wants, then I guess I can see some merit to it -- it would certainly be easier to see how far you've bred your dragons. But it also sounds like it would be a lot of work to implement.

Overall, I still don't think it's worth it, but as others have said, since it would only affect the owner's view, it doesn't really matter if it's added or not. I wouldn't use it, but I don't care of others want to.

Edit: Heh, and I just realized this is exactly what skauble already said, in part of her post. Gotta love being too tired to comprehend paragraphs properly the first time.

Edited by bbik

I support both options, but like the 'only dragons from your scroll pop up' option.

One logistical problem, though. What if this happens?

You breed a PinkXRed (G1). You abandon their Pink offspring (G2).

Someone breeds that Pink to another Red and gets a Red (G3). They abandon it.

You pick up that Red.

So: G1. You. G2. Them. G3. You.

How is the lineage viewed?

I support both options, but like the 'only dragons from your scroll pop up' option.

One logistical problem, though. What if this happens?

You breed a PinkXRed (G1). You abandon their Pink offspring (G2).

Someone breeds that Pink to another Red and gets a Red (G3). They abandon it.

You pick up that Red.

So: G1. You. G2. Them. G3. You.

How is the lineage viewed?

I had thought of that. The most reasonable way to do it would probably be to show your dragons until you are no longer the owner, and once that break is hit, ignore anything earlier. So you would only see G3, not the others, because you don't own the parents and that breaks the 'lineage'.

I understand why you feel like you do, but I just don't feel the same. Hiding their lineage doesn't CHANGE their lineage no more than we can change who our birth parents are. We are all like those messy inbred dragons with both famous, infamous, and melancholy ancestry with some lines going back for generations while others stop abruptly.

I will admit that I'm picky holiday wise and I try to collect at least 1 male and 1 female of each breed, but I also do inbred projects (you can make amazing lineages with them) and often shelter messy eggs. Inbred dragons will never be worth the trade value of a CB or a lovely lineage, but they're lineages can be so colorful. happy.gif

As a final thought, consider this. We were all new once and many of us didn't become part of the forum for a while. We didn't know about lineages, just spirits. Most bred anything to anything for spirits they liked or for their BSAs. We dumped eggs when they came out wrong, but could still see the children on the dragon's page. Remember the first time somebody named one? Or how about the first dead egg? The point is that every egg came from somewhere. Til this day I only Vamp CB because I remember the day I went on and found 3 of the eggs I had bred from my tiny barely bronze scroll were dead.

If you don't like a dragon's lineage, but don't want to kill / release them, just... Don't look at their lineage? O___o

I don't really see much point to this.