CrystalSetsuna

Holiday Multiclutch Opinions?

Now everyone knows the thrill of holiday breeding. You've probably got some IOU's to fill,plans to gift and trade and so on. Then the breeding season for that dragon arrives, you breed them to the mate you wanted...and joy of joys,they produce eggs!

...Unfortunately that can be plural. When your dragon produces a multiclutch of say four eggs,you can only keep one with the rest being abandoned. Hopes of fulfilling multiple IOU's of the same dragon type from one breeding are crushed.

Now don't get me wrong! I know already that multiclutchs that get abandoned give other players a chance to get the dragon they might otherwise not by catching in the AP. I understand a few players have gotten their dragons this way. HOWEVER!

I kinda feel we should be able to keep the eggs,all of them to dispense as we like. If we already have reached our limit,it's obvious already we can't keep them and there's no fear of hoarding. So of course they'll go to other people who HAVEN'T reached their limit. But I kinda feel we should have the option of trading or gifting them as we see fit. This would allow for more player interaction and actually freely giving on the holidays based on that idea. As it is,abandoning them and letting other players catch them is impersonal,and it's a lot like a forced gift. Not the type you want to really give or receive on a holiday. And on Halloween,hasn't TJ himself said that wonderful dark holiday is for hoarding our greedy brains out? Meaning we should be able to keep the eggs we breed and trade for what we want.

I'd really like to hear a multitude of other opinions on this. Who agrees with me and who disagrees? Who has idea's for a middle ground? What is your opinion on Holiday Multiclutches?

RULES

1. NO arguing! This is, at most, a friendly debate!

2. NO insults,name calling or putting down of ANY sort!

3. BE honest and fair!

4. Play nicely!

I think it is fair the way it is. Like many players, I have no 'connections'. I also have nothing 'good' to trade. So my only chance for getting a holly is to stalk the AP. Last year I didn't see any. A big reason for that is because people breeding their hollies were giving all the codes to their friends to catch. This year I think more people will have a fair chance at getting a holly.

Annageckos- and what'll happen when their friends have reached their limit for the breed? there are bound to be people who do not have friends who haven't reached their limit yet. it's to be assumed these people will gift it to others or hold lottos for it.

I prefer it the way it is now. You can still control one, but the rest are for anyone to grab. As someone who grabbed both of my Yulebucks and both of my Val '09s off the AP while GetCode was still active... I much prefer having all but one get auto'ed.

Cheers!

C4.

I have no experience in trading of these "limited edition" dragons, as I like to call them, such as hollies or snow angels, as I own none.

But, in my opinion, the current system is fine. When each player is given this one egg [or two, if he/she manages to breed with both dragons he owns], they are free to gift or trade this in whichever way they like. If you look at Holly trading, people get great offers for _promises_ that they'll breed a Holly. We need to remember that, at least in my knowledge, even the event dragons may end up producing no eggs at all.

I understand your argument here is that the breeder should be able to do this with all the eggs. Think eight Holly IOUs on one player. This would, in my opinion, break the game. Like Annageckos said, player with no special connections or great trade fodder would be unable to get any event dragons. Because, lets face it, people are greedy. Many gift friends, and some even random people, but there are also very many that would choose to just trade something great for all of their eggs. If you can get a stock of basically any dragons you want every single Christmas, why would you gift? :/

It's not about hoarding the Christmas dragons. It's that owning them, especially Hollies, opens up great opportunities to hoard everything else. People like me, who missed the past holidays, would have around zero chance of ever getting them, since they would no longer drop in the "impersonal" AP.

I also think that part of the fun of the Cave is the hunting. Stalking the AP and cave in hope of finding something shiny. This would kill that, since it all would happen via trade.

Lets also remember that not every DC player is on the forums.

But that's just my two cents on this thing.

but again comes the limit on holiday dragons. people who already have reached their limit are essentially out for trading to or whatever. that only leaves people who are not open. meaning out of the 8, you could give two of the eggs to four people and they'd reach their limit. or you could give 8 people one egg. and lets not forget our egg/hatchie limits! meaning once we've traded our hearts out and are completely stuffed up, we could gift away any and all remaining eggs. meaning any clutch of eggs after those 8 would go to any random lucky person.

Since it's mostly hollies that get great stuff, that wouldn't be true. :/ There is a full week for breeding. That means you have time to breed the first batch, take hatchlings and eggs to the limit with it, let them hatch and grow, and then breed the other batch. If you are a gold scroll player, this means you could get a whole lot of eggs and hatchlings.

Holly worth also seems to decrease after 2nd gen, so the players who have originals or nice looking 2nd gens would be the main breeders every year. More people join DC every single year, so there would always be more people to trade with. That is a fact. They could always search out the best hourly drop catchers and trade with them for their hearts content.

The other Christmas eggs aren't that big of a issue since they seem to have lot less worth anyway. Still, I think catching from AP is more fun than hoping someone sees your name on the forum and decides to be nice.

And I remind again that not every player uses to forum. They would be completely excluded, since there is no way, at least that I know of, to browse these people or send them teleport links.

I do not believe you should be able to control more than one egg from a multiclutch (and my opinion goes beyond the rules stating you can control one egg from a clutch). If someone doesn't have the connection to get a certain holiday egg, it can be difficult to get one. Truly, it seems to be more of a problem with Hollies. But, I rather like the ability to keep one and trade/gift as I please while the other eggs are sent out as gifts for those that didn't have a connection. Perhaps someone didn't have a connection because he/she doesn't have a forum account. Perhaps there was no connection because the member was so new (or perhaps shy, or afraid to ask). Perhaps there was no connection because no one wanted to take a chance on a person with lots of dead eggs on the scroll. I don't see an egg caught from the AP as impersonal. Unless someone had a gun to his/her head to make them click the breed button, I don't see the gift as forced. I don't know where all the eggs my dragons breed will go, if they even survive, but I like it better that way. I just don't wish to see the rules changed for this.

I don't support this. I shall be giving ONE from any multi clutches to a friend and the rest will go to the AP - where people who have - as someone said - no connections - can get them. There are so many reasons not to have connections, and I would rather the joy was spread more randomly. This place can get a little cliquey when it comes to passing around the good stuff. If this were actioned it would be even worse.

ETA @ Kazard - you can only breed them once in a season. TJ has set it up like that.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I don't support this, it's fair the way it is now. I have no Christmas dragons and the only way I can get them is via AP or to somehow get "connections" which I don't care to do because I don't have time to get into those cliques nor do I have "rares" to trade the high prices they ask for.

I think it would be nice to be able to keep 2 eggs if you had a multi clutch of 4 to gift to friends, but it is what it is and I'm not going to complain.

Edited by mxtine

the thing is,i'm not just talking about holidays.i'm talking about valentines,halloween too. and once again,what happens when the pople you know have reached their limits or no longer want any more of a breed?

I would like to have the option to set up teleport links for held eggs. IIRC, if you don't click on an egg, they all stay and get auto abandoned in an hour, no?

This year is the tough year, because a lot of agreements had been made for various IOUs prior to being able to teleport, and now people will only be able to fulfill 25% of them now. That's a lot of disappointment for the holiday season. sad.gif

I would like to have the option to set up teleport links for held eggs. IIRC, if you don't click on an egg, they all stay and get auto abandoned in an hour, no?

This year is the tough year, because a lot of agreements had been made for various IOUs prior to being able to teleport, and now people will only be able to fulfill 25% of them now. That's a lot of disappointment for the holiday season. sad.gif

Only 25% IF you got 4 eggs. That was - and is -NOT always the case. Loads of people waiting for Hollies last year didn't get them.

AND - a teleport is for certain sure. The abandoned link thing you could lose everything.

As for Hallowe'en - there's no limit on those, so no problem, really. There are always loads around.

Well, I don't have any of those other event dragons either, Valentine or Halloween [don't count the vampires anymore since they are obtainable all year around].

This isn't as problematic because they aren't so sought after, but I still think that being able to decide where every single one of them goes is rather unfair. Like has been said many times, lacking connections or a forum account rules you out completely. Many choose not to have a forum account, and it should remain a personal choice. Making every egg in the clutch a held egg would basically force everyone who wants those holidays to become a forum member.

Moranna, that is rather sad, but then again, the old method wasn't 100% sure to my knowledge either? Still, I understand why this is a problem. But for everyone who is dissapointed with a trade there is someone who is lucky and gets a happy surprise.

And there was no guarantee to get that many eggs anyway, so wasn't it kind risky for people to take that many IOUs to begin with? =P

i'm not sure about that Moranna. i think that probably is the case, but then you can't trade those eggs. basically as if they were cb and on cool down. otherwise we wouldn't have the problem of only having one egg to deal with.

the thing is,i'm not just talking about holidays.i'm talking about valentines,halloween too. and once again,what happens when the pople you know have reached their limits or no longer want any more of a breed?

New people are joining all the time, and they won't all have connections. And it doesn't have to just be Christmas. It wasn't as simple as looking at the AP to get Pumpkins or Marrows right away. It did take some effort. And for Valentines, I wouldn't have been able to get Caramia if someone didn't breed and let the eggs abandon. I appreciated the gift that Valentine's Day, even if I caught her in the AP. I am sorry, but I just don't see why this is needed.

I would bet that the *majority* of DC players aren't on the forums at all. So the *only* way most players can get any past holidays is via the AP.

Seems fair enough to me that whoever owns and breeds a holiday gets to keep at least 25%, up to 100%, of the eggs bred, and the rest end up publicly available.

Edited by Kelkelen

i'm not saying that you couldn't abandon the eggs. i'm sure there'd be people out there who'd breed their dragon,get say four eggs...abandon two of them and then use the other two for trading. i'm just saying it'd be nice to not have to pick and choose a single egg to keep and have no say over what happens to the other ones.

I like how it is. Even for Halloween. The fact that we can only keep one forces nice eggs onto the AP for others to get, and that lets people who don't have them get them without any connections. I'm more in support of the idea of increasing the limit of Christmas/Valentine dragons by 1 for each year you play, encouraging everyone to breed theirs so that those who otherwise wouldn't breed just to be nice would have an incentive to do so, and lineage-makers could make more fun lineages.

I like the way it is

more in the AP gives others a chance.

I am not a very sociable person, I am very shy and get upset with myself when I possibly accidentally offend anyone, and if I hurt feelings without meaning too, I go missing as I am just devastated. So I know no-one, with say a 2nd gen rare (holly or tinsel), so I will never get one if they can gift to only their friends...but being that they will be auto abandoned, I get a small hope in catching one. Yes it is small, but small is better than none wink.gif

However on the flip side, I can understand why they want to give their 2nd gens to trusted people and hand pick them wub.gif

I like the way it is. Why? Because if people had more choice about where their eggs could go, there would inevitably be greediness. Instead of it being the way it is right now, where players usually choose to gift their one egg because they have friends who need them, it would become much more biased towards trading. Now, there's nothing necessarily wrong with trading most of the time, but I think that in the spirit of the season, it's nice to have these eggs end up in the AP.

And I say this as someone who has two caveborn Yulebucks - I've seen people looking to trade for them, but I've already set up to gift my two.

CrystalSetsuna, as things are now, people can indeed trade Holiday eggs even if they are at their limit. You have approximately 30 minutes from the time you breed to teleport your Holiday egg to its intended recipient, even if you own two of that dragon already. What you are proposing is that owners of any Holiday dragon be able to control the destinies of all of the eggs they breed. This used to be the case, and was changed with the introduction of teleport. The way the game is set up we were never intended to be able to control the destiny of more than one egg per clutch. AP trading was a loophole that allowed players to get around that intended restriction. With teleport the loophole is closed.

This very issue was debated extensively last year. Whatever people say about connections or lack of connections, forum users or no forums users, it comes down to this: it was never intended for players to be able to control more than one egg per clutch. It was programed that way to distribute the eggs. Most of us see the fairness of that, and accept it as the way things are.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with discussing change. All I'm saying is, there is thinking behind the way it's done. As much as I understand the thinking, I agree with it. The way it is now gives more players a fair chance at desired Holiday eggs.

Therefore, I say no, absolutely, to this idea.

I love the combination of multiclutch and no more code giving for the AP.

Finally a chance for "normal" people to get some Hollies.

The things people ask for them in trade are really incredible.

Sometimes makes me wonder how much money they would ask if allowed...

all I can say is, I'm glad my hollies listened and only bred one egg each. I sure don't want to dump my extra holly eggs onto the ap, hoping that the catcher won't breed it to a horrible mate when I have taken care to give my hollies a nice mate.

all I can say is, I'm glad my hollies listened and only bred one egg each. I sure don't want to dump my extra holly eggs onto the ap, hoping that the catcher won't breed it to a horrible mate when I have taken care to give my hollies a nice mate.

Not very nice... sad.gif