xxCatastrophic

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

Hi smile.gif

Today I'd like to recommend a book I've just recently read:

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

There is a movie about this book, too!

.:To Sum Up the Story:.

This book is about a boy named Bruno who lives in Berlin, Germany. This takes place in the Early 1940's. Bruno has 3 'best friends for life' named Karl, Martin, and Daniel.

Bruno's father is 'Hitlers Right Hand Man', and gets a promotion and gets to move closer to Hitler. He's excited, but Bruno isn't. Bruno also has a sister named Gretel, and a Maid named Maria. Bruno likes to call his sister 'A Hopeless Case'.

Also, Bruno LOVES to explore. And he would love to explore his new house.

After leaving his friends in hope to find new ones, he arrives at his new house. He's excited to find out about the place; and well, what he ends up finding isn't good at all.

He looks out his window to find what he thinks is a 'Farm', but what is the Auschwitz Concentration Camp for Jews. His father works there.

He decided to sneak away from his mother when she wasn't looking, and go to the camp. He saw a boy sitting at the edge of the fence, named Shemuel. With Shmuel, Bruno will be in great danger!

This is a great book!

Check out the Wiki Page for it here.

I didn't like the book. I love studying all about XX century history, including the Great War, Second World War, Cold War, etc, etc, etc.

The book had too many historical errors for my appeal.

I didn't like the book. I love studying all about XX century history, including the Great War, Second World War, Cold War, etc, etc, etc.

The book had too many historical errors for my appeal.

It did have a few errors. This is a young boys point of view during the holocaust time, what he saw and such.

I'll write about something you might like and I'll message you a link.

--

Anyone else like it?

I read it when I was 11/12 or something, and did like it then at least. It's an okay book, but I think I like Sara's Key a bit better when it comes to WWII books.

It did have a few errors. This is a young boys point of view during the holocaust time, what he saw and such.

I'll write about something you might like and I'll message you a link.

--

Anyone else like it?

Precisely, that's my problem. The author worked so hard to hide the fact that the book was speaking about the Holocaust, that it made the book completely unbelievable to anyone with a bit of knowledge about the topic.

It is illogical that an 8 year old boy, son to an SS officer, knows nothing about the jews, the hatred against them, etc, etc, etc. A boy that age, and in the year I presume the book is set in (which is never clear, but judging from the fact that months after the "event", the camp was liberated, it must be somewhere along 1944-45), has been fed that hatred from crib. Specially when he belongs to a family so close to the Fuhrer.

It was a little unrealistic, and very dry. I found that the emotions of the central characters were...forced.

I did not like the book as much as I had hoped, but loved the film - very emotional lol, that was something the book was not!