TJ09

2011-12-14 - 2011 Holiday Event

I've been on the AP for less than an hour and I've already seen five Hollies biggrin.gif This could be the year!

i've seen four Hollies so far but i'm too slow, i hope i can grab at least one :3

i'm seeing vampires, tinsels, papers, and other rare eggs but i can't grab a single one, i'll keep trying though, wish me luck ^^ and good luck to everyone else too ^^

Edited by darXhes

I've seen one Holly, but my computer's too slow to even grab the 2nd gen Yulebuck I need - The people on this board rock. Not much hope for a Holly. But I'll keep trying anyway!

Edited by diannethegeek

Don't get me started with Halloween. I don't like the AP setup for that even less than the Christmas one. The only 'fair' thing about the Christmas one is that there's a two dragon limit. Halloween doesn't even have that. But Halloween is not what I was talking about previously.

It was a rhetorical question.

So many Hollies have slipped through my fingers...I don't think my eyes can take much more of staring at the AP @___@

What was so wrong with the AP setup for Halloween? The mad cursor dash across the screen to that egg mixed in with all the other eggs made it fun and more fair.

This.

I've missed like 10 holly batches! I got to give the eggies i promised though so I'm happy! <3

Whelp, still no luck hunting for a Holly...When I see them, they're not really there anymore ohmy.gif I'll keep trying but I don't know how many Holly's there are left to breed. Their owners might also be waiting for Christmas/Christmas Eve to breed them.

Also for the point of there being more Holly's every year, the problem is there are more users that need them. I'm thinking that the number of new users over a year is larger than the number of Hollys that can currently be bred in a year. Combined with some Holly owners becoming inactive and the current users that have been playing for years without getting a Holly, that means the chances of successful Holly grabbing are regretfully low. Yes the chance should increase as time goes on, but it won't increase as fast as I'd hope.

Think of it this way.

Every year the holly population increases. With teleport more of those eggs are directed to the Ap.

yeah but every year the people who needs one also increases; and i doubt the two are proportional to each other.

It certainly doesn't help that every one of the crazy people with fast computers has their cursor in the same place as everyone else.

What was so wrong with the AP setup for Halloween? The mad cursor dash across the screen to that egg mixed in with all the other eggs made it fun and more fair.

I HAVE a fast computer and fast connection and i can still barely catch any eggs, even commons. I've changed the configurations a little on my pc to maximize loading speed and it's helped a little. I can now catch *some* eggs from the 3rd slot over, but first and second - forget it.

anyway i missed halloween but i don't think christmas was this bad last year - infact it was rather pleasant and fun (that may have just been my newbie rose colored glasses, but eh, whatever). anyway with more and more people joing dragon cave it's only going to get more crowded in the AP and main cave as the holidays roll around. right now people are more or less bottle-necked when it comes to hunting eggs - both in the main cave and AP. I really think something should be changed for future years because the fun of hunting for newer players will be frustrating since they'll have so many dragons they have to catch yet have a really hard time catching them, while older players will still being looking for 1 egg after years of playing or trying to pick up low time eggs/hatchlings and having little to no luck with that just because of the lag.

Don't get me started with Halloween. I don't like the AP setup for that even less than the Christmas one. The only 'fair' thing about the Christmas one is that there's a two dragon limit. Halloween doesn't even have that. But Halloween is not what I was talking about previously.

THIS. And some people wanted to increase the limit for holidays, i mean really? because, you know, they want pretty EG lineages with lots and lots of holidays, all from the same scroll. how about the new people who just want any holiday on their scroll?

I only have to reasonably pick up ONE egg, and have been having difficulty with my computer i had custom built; what about the people who need 6 or more eggs? With a crusty old laptop that lags when just opening msn.com?

maybe it's just me though, because i am an unreasonable person like that. ('_')

either way, i'm set because i've had some kind users offer to breed for me after venting frustrations but that doesn't mean i don't feel upset for other people who are less fortunate.

Well that's my hour break wasted...After tomorrow I won't be able to hunt for them anymore because I'll be on an even LESS reliable computer. Could someone please gift me one? I'll offer whatever I can breed in return...

I guess this will have to be my fourth year Holly-less... T_T

Every year the holly population increases. With teleport more of those eggs are directed to the Ap.

yeah but every year the people who needs one also increases; and i doubt the two are proportional to each other.

THIS.

I have a crusty old computer that was out dated when I got it six or seven years ago. I can't even play browser games on it.

I have a Holly, snatched right off the AP in '08, when you were lucky to see one, let alone have the opportunity to miss it.

I have two CB Valentines from '09.

I have CB Holidays for every holiday except Christmas '07, when I wasn't around.

I've been replacing my frozen holidays from previous years, and have been throwing back eggs I don't like.

Until two months ago I was running ATT's slowest DSL internet speed. If I had 1mps download speed I was lucky.

So, I'm tempted to say that computer/internet speed aren't as important as people are making them out to be. Try patience and determination.

True but also take into account the amount of eggs each holly produces and the fact that you can only have TWO at most.

Just looking through my hollies relatives both through sisters, brothers, parents, grandparents, cousins ect I have counted about 15 hollies(and I haven't gone through ALL of them this is an estimated number) that have not bred yet this year. (not counting mine which would raise that estimated number to 18)

Say each of those hollies produces 4 eggs that's 72 eggs.

Next year say those 18 plus their 72 collective offspring all produce about 4 eggs. That's 360 eggs for next year.

And the hollies related to mine make up only a SMALL fraction of the total holly population.

Already users that had no hope of even seeing one this year have caught one and more are whizzing through the Ap then ever before.

This is only the TIP of the iceberg as far as holly breeding goes. I myself am not breeding my two beauties till x-mas eve.

Basically what I am saying is do not give up hope. It's only the start of breeding and I'm sure you'll be seeing holly eggs all week.

Good luck loves <3 Be persistent and try to keep your heads up and I am sure it will work out.

I have two iou's for my boy and gal this year. But I will still be announcing breeding on x-mas eve in the IRC so other people have a shot at the excess.

Merry X-mas all <3!

Edited by Reidragon

THIS.

Plus, between my 2 Hollies, I only bred 3 eggs out of a possible 8. If only their numbers could be increased via breeding, I don't see how the Holly is ever going to be as widely available as the other Xmas Dragons.

Well I'm gone to work. I probably won't breed my Holidays this year unless I get a Holly...

If you had a more positive attitude maybe you would get gifted one?

But I don't see the point in not breeding yours to make someones day just because you can't catch one holly.

Believe me lots of users are in your shoes and even more users would appreciate the spread of holiday eggs that are not hollies.

Not EVERYONE likes hollies. I can think of about 5 users off the top of my head that don't like them. The other sprites are much more beautiful to them.

They are your dragons to do with what you want but maybe you should reconsider boycotting breeding. X-mas is about giving. Not receiving.

I've been Holly hunting for almost 5 hours now, and I am about ready to give up. This is my third year trying, too. I don't think my patience is going to hold much longer. xd.png

But I've bred one each of my christmas dragons, and I'm planning on breeding the rest on Christmas Eve.

True but also take into account the amount of eggs each holly produces and the fact that you can only have TWO at most.

Just looking through my hollies relatives both through sisters, brothers, parents, grandparents, cousins ect I have counted about 15 hollies that have not bred yet this year. (not counting mine which would raise that to 18)

Next year say those 18 plus their 72 collective offspring all produce about 4 eggs. That's 360 eggs for next year.

And the hollies related to mine make up only a SMALL fraction of the total holly population.

Already users that had no hope of even seeing one this year have caught one and more are whizzing through the Ap then ever before.

This is only the TIP of the ice berg as far as holly breeding goes. I myself am not breeding my two beauties till x-mas eve.

Basically what I am saying is do not give up hope. It's only the start of breeding and I'm sure you'll be seeing holly eggs all week.

Good luck loves <3 Be persistent and try to keep your heads up and I am sure it will work out.

I have two iou's for my boy and gal this year. But I will still be announcing breeding on x-mas eve in the IRC so other people have a shot at the excess.

Merry X-mas all <3!

except they don't produce 4 eggs each blink.gif (and believe me when i say i am truely grateful for the 2 limit per holiday breed)

infact how many users said last year they had hollies that didn't produce at all? and even more that only produced one?

if each and every holly were guaranteed to breed (they aren't just because users go afk and stop playing, while others pruposely dont breed their hollies), and each and every breeding were guarenteed to make a multi-clutch, this could be alleviated to some degree - but that's not the case.

unless dragon cave's user population takes a plummet (i hope it doesn't either, because that's the machine that keeps the site going) maybe it could get solved ....in a couple years, but i don't see either scenario (the holly breeding or user population) happening anytime soon.

anyway, i am not trying to be a debbie downer, but i do think this should be looked at realisticly and not through rose tinted glasses.

I have a Holly, snatched right off the AP in '08, when you were lucky to see one, let alone have the opportunity to miss it.

That was in 08, let's try comparing the cave's population between then and now; I'm sure you had much less competition back then. Back then that was also the ONLY christmas dragon to pick up, compared to the three other breeds some people need to pick up in addition to a holly. Also, i imagine that there were more breeders for the holly back then since it was only one year since they came out and it would be more likely for those users to be one year later as opposed to 4 years later.

So, I'm tempted to say that computer/internet speed aren't as important as people are making them out to be. Try patience and determination.

Except that they are, even if you don't believe it. When there are two thousand people accessing one site at a given time and half of those are all crammed into one page trying to catch the same egg, you better believe computer and internet speed make a difference. A lot of us have patience and have been camping the AP for a couple hours at a time but by the same token, it's not really reasonable to think that everyone can camp the AP for 24 hours until they get the exact egg they want (or something comparable). You shouldn't judge people because they didn't have the same fortunate as you did a few years ago.

Plus, between my 2 Hollies, I only bred 3 eggs out of a possible 8. If only their numbers could be increased via breeding, I don't see how the Holly is ever going to be as widely available as the other Xmas Dragons.

Bless you. :'(

i dont think hollies are really ment to be widely available but when you have maybe a couple hundred of them (i'm being generous), a couple thousand people all trying to get them, coupled with low egg clutches, i think it's understandable people get frustrated. That's a lot of "wasted time" and a lot of dashed hopes.

Just looking through my hollies relatives both through sisters, brothers, parents, grandparents, cousins ect I have counted about 15 hollies(and I haven't gone through ALL of them this is an estimated number) that have not bred yet this year. (not counting mine which would raise that estimated number to 18)

This is only the TIP of the iceberg as far as holly breeding goes. I myself am not breeding my two beauties till x-mas eve.

Merry X-mas all <3!

Emm... Thats an extremely optimistic point of view, I mean you just ignored the fact that in 2007 there were only about 10% of users we have playing today, you ignore the fact that many of the users with original hollies have only one adult and one frozen, you ignore the fact that many people who managed to get hollies decided to release theirs and get shorter lineages, you ignore the fact that many of original 2007 users arent active anymore, you ignore the fact that most of the hollies produce 2 eggs at best and that some users arent even breeding them....

So what is patience ? 5 ? 10 years ? Because I've heard of people who have been playing dc for more than 3 years and still dont have a holly... This is my first christmas and I probably wont have one, I got 6 2nd gens so Im cool, Im not pissed over a holly but I've seen a thread about hollies and more than 90% of the voters have none, so I dont really get the concept here unsure.gif

If valentine and x-mas are holidays of gifting how is it possible that 90% of the people dont have something which is supposed to be easily obtained ??

Thats all Im saying, seems wrong to me, and again not because of me since I have been playing for 5 months but people who have been going at it for 40 months... seems wrong to me thats all dry.gif

Edited by The Evil Doer

I'm not giving up. I may not be able to catch anything better than a Nebula during normal drops, but I will NOT give up upon getting a holly. At all. FOR THE HOLLIES!

I HOPE I'm totally overreacting here, but...when I went to check on the eggs one of my hollies produced (2 in total), one had vanished! I really hope it just means the owner has set it up for a teleport that hasn't completed yet, but...does anyone know? What else could cause a lovely holly egg to vanish like that? sad.gif

I think they should make Hollies available as prize dragons in the raffle(s), or maybe allow the person to choose what prize dragon they want. I don't need another tinsel dragon, except Gold, but I would love a Holly!

It seems unfair or something that so many people want the Holly dragon, and it takes the fun out of looking when there's so little chance to catch one. Christmas is about giving, but it should also be fun! And people should feel like they have at least a fair chance, but I've seen a lot of posts of people convinced they have no chance which is demoralizing for noobies like me tongue.gif

This is my first DC Christmas, so I've got a question for ya'll. I've filled 4 of my 5 egg slots with the other holiday dragons... is it worth leaving the one spot open in the hopes of catching a Holly, or have all the breeders bred by now?

I think they should make Hollies available as prize dragons in the raffle(s), or maybe allow the person to choose what prize dragon they want. I don't need another tinsel dragon, except Gold, but I would love a Holly!

It seems unfair or something that so many people want the Holly dragon, and it takes the fun out of looking when there's so little chance to catch one. Christmas is about giving, but it should also be fun! And people should feel like they have at least a fair chance, but I've seen a lot of posts of people convinced they have no chance which is demoralizing for noobies like me tongue.gif

This is my first DC Christmas, so I've got a question for ya'll. I've filled 4 of my 5 egg slots with the other holiday dragons... is it worth leaving the one spot open in the hopes of catching a Holly, or have all the breeders bred by now?

Leave it open. There's just a small chance one might pop by.