TLOSpyrogirl

Reviewing and Reading Approved Descriptions

Oooh, I like this. I used to really enjoy reading what people thought of my dragon's descriptions, and it always made me sad that once the description was approved, bam there went people's commentary and the chances of anyone else ever seeing the description were slim... not to mention that the amount of people who'd go out of their way to try to find me on the forums to tell me what they thought of it is even slimmer! X'D

I'd say just one thing:

- Have an disable/enable description commentary setting. I think a scroll-wide on/off switch would be fine, but there could be a dragon-by-dragon setting if wished.) Hopefully this'll also help parents make sure their kids keep it off and don't get any troll comments. A report button might be alright, too.

- Also, perhaps on top of being able to report a user posting nasty comments, have an option to delete unwanted comments. smile.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I thought I already had that second one there... guess. not. xd.png And I think that first one's already in there. xP Thanks. biggrin.gif

Thought this desereved a bump.

This is really a good idea, and would work well the the story telling idea for bbws

I'd love it if there was a way to see just the described dragons on someone's scroll and filter out the others, but I'm not enthusiastic about other people being able to leave comments. There sometimes are trolls going around the descriptions in need of reviewing and I'd imagine they'd do the same with this feature, so you'd also need to program something to remove their comments. I don't think it has that much benefits, as you can either review unapproved descriptions or discuss them in Site Discussion, so overall the commenting thing as well as being able to sort the described dragons in X many ways takes just a bit too much time, effort and server strain.

Nevertheless, a button to filter out the described dragons would be wonderful!

Edited by Mirhana

I love this idea, myself. I love when I get a comment on my dragons' descriptions while they're waiting approval, but I never get anything but blank accepts 95% of the time. Sometimes I think it's because I like longer descriptions and some just tl;dr my dragons and click accept while trying to get through as many descriptions as possible when they go in a reviewing descriptions run.

With something like this, it feels like you'd be more likely to find people who actually want to sit down and read the descriptions, since they're going out and looking for them JUST to read them. I'm used to just getting "oh that's good" when I write down stories or when I draw pictures... so I'm really not that fond of empty accepts. I like to know what all people like about my work. |:

Personally, I prefer the marker for described dragons described in this suggestion: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=51220. Then you would just have to look at someone's scroll to see which dragons have descriptions. TJ has already expressed a willingness to add this. I just wish he would announce when we could expect something like this to be added.

I know there's a thread "approved descriptions" on forum, but most users don't frequent the forums. So how about adding a link in dragcave.net/account "read approved descriptions" or something like that?

Approved descriptions will appear on the page (random ones, or users can choose the breed of dragon that he/she wants to read).

A description will not appear there if the author of the description (scroll owner, that is) chooses "no". I respect the rights of users who want to keep a description private (although I don't really understand it, I mean, other users and mods will read your descriptions when they are waiting for approval...) but anyway, they should be able to choose.

Also, other users can leave comments on descriptions - I would be very happy if I see other users lol'd at a description I wrote.

I'd have a slight issue with wanting some, but not all of my descriptions to be seen. Some of my descriptions are older, and badly written, and while I don't want to delete them, they're more for my eyes only smile.gif

The 'comments taking up too much space' issue has been brought up before as well, but I am clueless about that so won't elaborate further smile.gif

Other than that, support! smile.gif

I wouldn't mind a place where people can view approved descriptions, though I don't think they need to be commented on. Too much space to take up and all that jazz.

Opting out is a must though. Even I have one description that I'm not 100% willing to share with everyone yet.

I think this would be interesting. I wouldn't trawl through someone's scroll looking for descriptions, and I don't look at the threads on here about them much, but it would be good to have somewhere to just go and read some.

As long as there's an opt out, of course.

Guys, if you're writing descriptions, they are being put out into public. Anyone who sees your dragon can see that description. Thus I really don't see why this would be an issue and need an opt-out? If you don't want to share that info, then, well, don't give your dragon a description.

I would be very interested in this mostly because I know almost nobody randomly looks through dragons on scrolls to see their description. (or at least I don't)

I also agree with angelicdragonpuppy not everything should/can have an opt out. This is one of those things that it doesn't make sense. If you don't like an existing description edit it or delete it... (I've done it before when I caught a spelling mistake... not that big of a deal)

If you don't want to share that info, then, well, don't give your dragon a description.

If I don't want people to see my descriptions, then I can hide my scroll. I feel comfortable describing my dragons as I know that anytime I want, I can remove them from the public eye. I like the fact that my descriptions can be a hidden jewel for any bored browser, but having them on public display in a certain area would make me feel more conscious about it. I see my descriptions as a timeline of my writing, with its quirks, so while I wouldn't mind people associating some of my more recent descriptions with me, I wouldn't like older works shown to the world.

It's like the difference between having a picture you painted up in a gallery, or in your house. One will be seen by a lot of random people you don't know, who will critique your work, the other will probably be seen by people who might not be looking for it, but will appreciate it.

Also, I have some awful older descriptions which are so bad I need to remove, but I can't find them, so would hate to see those come up :l

If I don't want people to see my descriptions, then I can hide my scroll. I feel comfortable describing my dragons as I know that anytime I want, I can remove them from the public eye. I like the fact that my descriptions can be a hidden jewel for any bored browser, but having them on public display in a certain area would make me feel more conscious about it. I see my descriptions as a timeline of my writing, with its quirks, so while I wouldn't mind people associating some of my more recent descriptions with me, I wouldn't like older works shown to the world.

It's like the difference between having a picture you painted up in a gallery, or in your house. One will be seen by a lot of random people you don't know, who will critique your work, the other will probably be seen by people who might not be looking for it, but will appreciate it.

Also, I have some awful older descriptions which are so bad I need to remove, but I can't find them, so would hate to see those come up :l

Then maybe scroll hiding is the way to opt out then, where if your scroll is hidden they just don't show up.

Even with your scroll hidden and your username stripped from your page, anyone who knows the name or code of your dragon can see its description. You can reduce the chances of it being seen, but you can't truly hide it from sight.

I mean, I wouldn't be adamantly against an opt-out, but I still think it's silly for people to put these things out in public and then be against them being, well, out in public...

Not to mention that the chance of your one description being pulled from literally thousands of approved descriptions is unlikely. More likely then someone just randomly finding it, yes, but still very unlikely.

Ahem. Anyway, I would support this. There were a couple of other suggestions that were in line with this (a story telling BSA for BBWs, and a library suggestion where descriptions could be viewed, among other things) that I liked even more, but if a simpler suggestion is more likely to be implemented then hey why not. <3

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Even with your scroll hidden and your username stripped from your page, anyone who knows the name or code of your dragon can see its description. You can reduce the chances of it being seen, but you can't truly hide it from sight.

I mean, I wouldn't be adamantly against an opt-out, but I still think it's silly for people to put these things out in public and then be against them being, well, out in public...

Not to mention that the chance of your one description being pulled from literally thousands of approved descriptions is unlikely. More likely then someone just randomly finding it, yes, but still very unlikely.

Ahem. Anyway, I would support this. There were a couple of other suggestions that were in line with this (a story telling BSA for BBWs, and a library suggestion where descriptions could be viewed, among other things) that I liked even more, but if a simpler suggestion is more likely to be implemented then hey why not. <3

I never realized that a BSA on this has been suggested...

But though I like the idea of a "story telling BSA" very much, the problem is, all BSAs have cooldowns, and I don't see the point of not letting people read others' descriptions because they don't have enough BBWs (they can go to a scroll, or use the Approved Descriptions thread anyway) unless it's a way to make a breed of blocker become more desirable?

But how about this: you can read all you like, but there's a BSA for commenting so that people won't be writing a "LOL" on everything and taking up unnecessary server space?

Edit for a typo.

Edited by love_HP

~Merged~

I am all for a way for users to flip through descriptions (though I am more excited for a description marker next to dragons), and I'm not against an opt out ability. o3o

The odds of someone typing in random codes, coming up with one of mine is so dramatically low...

What about a BSA that would allow people to submit their descriptions individually? It would be entirely up to the person which ones they submit, and because it would take some effort it would be likely that people would submit their better ones.

If you go to via the BBW idea, it could be like:

"You send *insert BBW dragon name* to talk to *insert other dragon name*. After some time, you hear them discussing *insert other dragon name*'s life story. *insert BBW dragon name* is fascinated by this tale, and flies away to spread it about the land.

(Of course something better worded, but it gets the point across : )

Another idea - how about having the option of "read other descriptions by this user"? When one sees a description he/she particularly likes, this option can be used. Of course there can be an option for scroll owners to opt out.

~Merged~

I am all for a way for users to flip through descriptions (though I am more excited for a description marker next to dragons), and I'm not against an opt out ability. o3o

Well, a description marker doesn't contradict with this idea and actually gives users a more convenient way of getting to see others' descriptions.