Oddsoxdi

Are Tinsels Losing Their 'Market Value'?

There's a new "tinsel breeding list" thread in the breeding area ^__^ check it out, guys!

EDIT: aaand just kidding...that was closed to. I give up. The mods seem REALLY against this...

Edited by shadesofchaos

Yeah I've just been abandoning most of my Tinsels lately. I only keep the more uncommon lineages or shorter lineages, but even those are hard to trade.

I feel like the only valuable ones left are the 3rd Gens (and 2nds but I never see those being offered). I have one 2nd Gen but it is the worst Tinsel breeder ever. I managed to trade for a few IOU's a while back for some amazing things (CB Metals, Neglecteds) but it took me so long to fulfill those IOU's, I decided not to make anymore for him. It's too bad he is such a bad breeder too because he has one of the more uncommon lineages (Grey x Silver).

But honestly, I haven't been able to get a decent trade for a Tinsel in so long, I just gave up. And the only reason I ask for higher things (like CB uncommons) is because I really don't need anything else. I'm pretty close to scroll completion and I haven't had the time to go for any more goals so...

So I breed and abandon around 10-20 Tinsels a week. I just don't have the time to wait for a trade anymore.

It's too bad though. I figured since they were 'Prize' dragons they would be more... rare... but I guess not. Now I just have to hope for my CB Silvers to breed (which almost never happens) to get a decent trade. =\

There's a new "tinsel breeding list" thread in the breeding area ^__^ check it out, guys!

EDIT: aaand just kidding...that was closed to. I give up. The mods seem REALLY against this...

What a pity. sad.gif And with so many players here agreeing it was a good idea. sad.gif

It would have been so nice to have a place where one can just look who can breed what.

So, it's not alineage so doesn't belong in "Breeding". But it's also not allowed in Trading? sad.gif Did you specifically say in the PM to mods about the trading thread that it would be about IOUs? Because they're really not a big part in this...

I really don't understand why a thread like yours (with a few cosmetic changes, like highlighting/bolding/headlines etc. for better overview) wouldn' be allowed in Trading... sad.gif

But thank you for trying!

I stopped breeding my Tinsels for trading, you don´t get anything for them anymore if they are longer than 5th gen.. Not even one CB hatchie... And if I offer eggs I usually want them gone ASAP.

I also don´t abandon them. Last time I abandoned some Tinsels someone got them who had already 50+ Tinsels. dry.gif

Edited by Idril

They said they don't approve of IOUs, so no threads that permit IOUs will be allowed--and being put on the breeding list basically means people PMing you for an IOU of your tinsel =/ at least, that's what I got from what you said D: most people, once they start breeding their tinsels, will probably have their tinsels on cooldown and won't be able to breed them right then and there in order to trade with someone.

So yeah, I don't think anything like this is going to be allowed ANYWHERE on the site, no matter how helpful it would be. I did create a separate forum if anyone wanted to do that, but I'm not sure how much attention it would get, so it probably wouldn't be very useful...

It really is a pity. I was looking forward to a thread like that one. It would have been so useful.

Oh well, I'm not loosing hopes tho. Things can always change.

sadly, tinsels losing value was something i never really thought of when i traded a cb gold and cb silver for tinsels over 5th gen. that was tinsel breeding first started though, so i wasn't an 'idiot' then...i guess.

i just thought something so shiny and called 'tinsel' or 'prize' would end up being rare. they breed like rabbits though. even still. i thought it would have worn off by now.

i don't breed my tinsels to trade anymore. though reading through this thread, i'd love to do tinsel-swaps now just to get some other pretty stairs. i have three designated tinsels whose offspring i always abandon for the AP and hope someone without many tins would grab. other than that, i don't breed, except my 4th gen gold tinsel on occasion...

They said they don't approve of IOUs, so no threads that permit IOUs will be allowed--and being put on the breeding list basically means people PMing you for an IOU of your tinsel =/ at least, that's what I got from what you said D: most people, once they start breeding their tinsels, will probably have their tinsels on cooldown and won't be able to breed them right then and there in order to trade with someone.

So yeah, I don't think anything like this is going to be allowed ANYWHERE on the site, no matter how helpful it would be. I did create a separate forum if anyone wanted to do that, but I'm not sure how much attention it would get, so it probably wouldn't be very useful...

Sorry, that doesn't make sense. All the trading threads "allow" IOU's, I've put it in plain and clear that I will accept IOU's at times, and I've seen complete IOU postings.

How is it different than the New Rare Breeders, or The Gold Gifting Group that have lists of breeders and some of the lists, the breeders have lists of IOU's?

No no, I mean offering IOUs isn't allowed in exchange for trades. The gold gifting and rare breeders are gifting, I believe. That's allowed. It's just offering IOUs in exchange for trades they don't allow. I actually got a verbal warning for offering to breed my tinsels in exchange for whatever I was asking for in the rare trading thread.

I still don't see why they won't let me do it, especially since it would be so helpful and a ton of people would appreciate it (I laid out all the benefits of this in my PM; I really thought it would persuade them >.>) but oh well, I guess. There isn't much we can do, even if we don't think their ruling makes sense =/

Edited by shadesofchaos

So I guess they won't even have a Tinsel trading thread either, right? Or just a plain Tinsel Breeders list?

No no, I mean offering IOUs isn't allowed in exchange for trades.  The gold gifting and rare breeders are gifting, I believe.  That's allowed.  It's just offering IOUs in exchange for trades they don't allow.  I actually got a verbal warning for offering to breed my tinsels in exchange for whatever I was asking for in the rare trading thread.

Hm. Maybe we could exclude the IOU portion if we state in the rules that you basically sign up for a breeder's list, but nothing gets paid beforehand? So there are no IOUs, you just sign up by PM, negotiate a price, but you don't exchange dragons until the breeder actually has the tinsel-egg in question?

Then there would be no IOUs, but the tinsel breeders would know there is actually a home waiting for their eggs, and we basically keep the benefits we wanted (an overview of who can breed what and wants what kind of price while de-cluttering the trading threads).

Might that work?

I mean, there are threads where you have lists of breeders. Sure, they're for gifting, but what we want is not that different in nature...

Also, if you do go ahead and try anew (which I hope) it might be better to first start a thread to find people who want to help out, and discuss with them and others how you should set up the thread (like formatting, how much per post, how many posts to reserve etc.) - before you compilate the actual breeder's lists. This way you will probably get lots of useful input and won't have to reformat everything several times. smile.gif Just a little experience from the Fansite Overview Project. smile.gif

You might even get mod-input there about what needs changing and how it can be done...

Good luck!

Edited by Lastalda

If someone else wants to do that (cheystarr, perhaps) it might be better...I feel like I've already annoyed the mods and don't want to bother them further =/ I have a feeling they'll say that it's still a trading thread. I just don't understand why we can't even have a list...

Let me put something together first, and ask before there is too much work done so it's not all done in vain.

We could try to negotiate with them. It's not like they bite biggrin.gif.

I'm sure we can reach some sort of arrangement that pleases us both.

That's my plan, to talk to them and see what we could come up with. biggrin.gif

I agree, I even have a low gen one in traid, asking for another from one of the cb's I don't have yet, but even thats going on deaf ears. Only way I got the ones I do is from people gifting them and that I'm glad for but still.. my hope of being able to complete my scroll by offering them is pretty much out the window. I'd low a low gen normal gold/silver (6th gen for a 6th gen), but even THAT isn't happening, I posted it in all the trade threads... nothing... it's now a hatchie, and about to grow.

Makes me sad... but guess it's just sticking to gifting them until even that stops working.

Edited by Taiine

They are definitely less valuable and rare. Many, many months ago I agreed to a trade with someone for a tinsel. I agreed to give them a 2nd gen holly for a 4th(or was it 3rd? I can't remember) gen bronze tinsel. They pm'd me I think a month ago asking if the trade was still on, and I backed out. I felt terrible, and it would have been a fair trade back then, but now tinsels are just not very difficult to breed at all. Plus, I was more interested in having the sprites on my scroll than the generations or lineages, and there was one person who made that happen by gifting me many bronze, silver, and gold tinsels all year long. I feel bad that I backed out of a trade, but they just aren't worth as much anymore and I really wanted to gift the holly egg to the person who gave me all of my tinsels.

No no, I mean offering IOUs isn't allowed in exchange for trades.

That's not really true either. IOU postings are permitted in the main trading thread. You see them commonly, especially near the holidays! I really think it's just that a whole THREAD about it would make it seem like part of the game officially. I can see how that might lead to bickering. There's no way at all for TJ or mods to police IOU promises, after all...

Perhaps a more general Breeding thread would work, called something like Bred By Request, with people posting simple lists of nice lineages they can breed and any actual negotiations taking place in PM's.

Oh really? IOUs are allowed in the main trading thread? ohmy.gif Nice ^__^ guess I have a trade to post today lol. The way rubyshoes made it sound (well, the RULES made it sound) was that no trading thread on DC would allow IOUs. Good luck getting them to agree, Cheystarr! I really hope you can get this approved D:

Actually, we aren't talking about a Tinsel trading topic, we are actually discussing a Tinsel Breeder's List.

Is it just my hub (Ayelldee) and I who are experiencing the waning of the trade value of Tinsels? His are of far superior 'worth' (shorter lines to Penk and Erno), yet our offers sit in the Trade threads for days. I'm still seeing ridiculous requests for fairly long-lineaged Tinsels (such as CB Gold, CB black, CB Silver) in these threads - are you guys really still getting these Dragon Cave Holy Grails? Have you had to scale back on your requests in order to trade your Tinsels?

Just wondering if the trade value of the Tinsel dragon is starting to slide.

Topic Reminder:

i just thought something so shiny and called 'tinsel' or 'prize' would end up being rare. they breed like rabbits though. even still. i thought it would have worn off by now.

Yes, I thought that,too and feel disappointed about it.

Are there still certain lineages that are considered "rare" though? The ones with much fewer offspring than some of the more common tinsels? I'm not entirely sure which dragons these are, since I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to tinsels, but are people still getting good trades for those? But for the more common lines (and the longer lines) they have definitely lost a lot of their value. When I first joined, the first few tinsels I got were messy and inbred and I still had to trade for those. Now there are things as low as 5th gen regularly floating around in the AP.

Are there still certain lineages that are considered "rare" though? The ones with much fewer offspring than some of the more common tinsels? I'm not entirely sure which dragons these are, since I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to tinsels, but are people still getting good trades for those? But for the more common lines (and the longer lines) they have definitely lost a lot of their value. When I first joined, the first few tinsels I got were messy and inbred and I still had to trade for those. Now there are things as low as 5th gen regularly floating around in the AP.

I believe lines from 'booo' are rare since booo's owner's scroll got burned.

Also, the lines from TREE, AGYI, and wind are pretty uncommon.