Oddsoxdi

Are Tinsels Losing Their 'Market Value'?

They're definitely losing market value today in general. But the shorter lineages are more sought after. You have to trade your soul for a 7th-9th gen tinsel for one. (I'd say they're about as rare as blacks) The marketplace is filled with tinsels that I won't dare to trade the tinsel's future offspring. Though I think I'll offer them for CB blocker hatchlings for the newbies to get.

But perhaps in the next few months they'll breed like metallics; super hard to breed. Perhaps they'll be commons.

But that being said, they are pretty desirable. You see tinsels being snatched up so quickly in the AP.

Yes -- I think one thing that's happening now is that a lot of the newer members don't want to trade for even a long-lineaged Tinsel, not because it costs too much, but because they want to be able to continue the line, and if it's based on Blacks, Vines, or Stripes, they feel that continuation is impossible. I've seen CB Blacks only *marginally* more than I've seen CB Silvers -- they're awfully rare right now, it seems!

That is one of the reasons I don't even bother offering for certain lines. They might be beautiful, but I won't pick a line to ruin the effort others have been doing.

I usually stay away from marrow based lines and black based lines for those reasons. I will never come across a CB marrow, and my only CB black egg was a fluke that had been sitting there for a while without nobody noticing (these things happen).

That might make people not focus so much on those lines, as they wouldn't focus on a silver or gold based line (although it would look AWESOME).

However, I think white or vine based lines are not that hard to continue. I'm an awful hunter, but I do manage to get nebulas and sometimes whites off the cave. I can easily see 3 or 4 whites pass by, and several vines as well, in a single hunting session, so they're not that hard to come by. They just take longer than cave blockers.

yes they are losing value, because they are common now and even a lot of newbies have them. they are/were gifted or traded for something easy so many people have them now. they also breed easily.

i think it's a good thing, i just kind of wish they would stop taking over all the trade threads. there's so many tinsel trades asking for super rare eggs when they (tinsels) are really common now.

Yeah I think some of the requests for tinsels like CB Gold, CB Black, etc are getting a bit ridiculous since I think its fairly evident that tinsels don't breed like rares.

I only requested a couple of commons for a clean gold tinsel and eventually just had to chuck it to the AP after getting no offers.

O.o I would've traded for it! PM me next time, please!

But yeah. My 5G perfect MS from Inextrica eggs, or perfect spiral from Penk eggs (of which I have one right now) get zip on trades. I can't even get a couple of CB Spitfires- which are always on the AP.

What's going on, DC?

I'm going to start doctoring lineages, hoping I'll get a bit more desirable eggs, and because I think some lines will look awesome.

I'm going to start doctoring lineages, hoping I'll get a bit more desirable eggs, and because I think some lines will look awesome.

Ah ha, this has interest. *leans forward* The doctored lines are the interesting ones. I can see the doctored lines being the ones gaining value as all the odd sought after combinations begin breeding since no one can find them from an already founded tinsel.

Ah ha, this has interest. *leans forward* The doctored lines are the interesting ones. I can see the doctored lines being the ones gaining value as all the odd sought after combinations begin breeding since no one can find them from an already founded tinsel.

Yep, and it's the only way to obtaing something close to a "CB".

What I do wonder is, will TJ make a new contest and offer the same price?

If he does, I'm not sure what could happen. I think already common lines like F-Bomb and Inextrica will go down the drain in value, while the new lines get so popular they'll be sought after and very expensive as well.

Maybe some rarer actual lines will go down in price as people will be after the new shinnies.

In the end, I think tinsels will be so popular that, unless they become blacks (due to ratios leveling themselves), they'll become a pest.

They are sort of a pest right now, and I'm equally guilty (although I breed from time to time). They flood trading threads, burying other interesting things. I've seen my own offers get buried 10 pages back in a matter of 2 or 3 hours, which is quiet impressive if you ask me. tongue.gif

Anyways, I am an awful seer, so all I can do is speculate on the future of tinsels.

I think they have lost value.

I breed my tinsels not for trading, but for gifting to those who don't have one yet or need a different color. As you might be able to see, some of those 'gifts' have ended up growing up on my scroll while I waited for them to be picked up on the teleport link.

Man, I have so been away too long! I've never even SEEN these eggs before! >.< ::goes to find trading thread for tinsels::

I don't care if they become a common breed or a rare breed. I just want them to stop littering the trade forums. <.<

Don't get me wrong, some tinsels on the trades is fine, but they currently seem to be the most common breeds found on trading threads. I just did a quick peek and I saw a trading page with 15 tinsel eggs on it and that was just ONE page. 15 eggs out of 20 posts.

Edited by Valera

Meh. Being 'common' /won't/ last, so I'll make the most of beautiful shinies while I can. Once upon a time, blacks and whites were super common. No longer.

But anyway, tinsels to me are worthless unless they are 3rd gen or 2nd gen.

In relation to Hollies/CB metal, in my opinion:

3rd gen bronze + adds = CB metal or a messyish/longish Holly

3rd gen silver = CB metal or a longish/medium Holly

3rd gen gold = CB metal + adds or a medium Holly

2nd gen bronze = CB metal (two at a stretch) or short holly

2nd gen silver = CB metal x 2 or short holly, at a stretch 3rd gen Holly.

2nd gen gold = CB metal x2 or 3rd Holly. At a stretch, 2nd gen Holly if you have connections or established the trade early on.

No idea about the values of Neglecteds. Personally, I wouldn't trade Neglecteds away.

But personally, the only tinsels 'worth' anything-ish and will remain at trade value, are:

- Tinsels descended from AGYI that are not from Green nebula

- All tinsels from Anzu

- Certain lineages from Cietal

- All tinsels from booo, the shorter the more valuable. (in my personal opinion, 3rd gen are worth 4 CB metals or a 2nd gen Holly apiece)

- Tinsels from aobo that are not from Marrow.

And yes, their values have significantly declined. Once, a fourth gen tinsel was worth a CB metal, but no longer.

Edited by DarkEternity

o.o I wouldn't mind obtaining one of each tinsel. I don't really care about the lineage all that much (probably one of the few that doesn't care about all that period), however..yeah. I don't have anything anyone wants and, even if I do, nobody wants to trade it for a tinsel :/ So, I just give up.

I've just started dumping most of my Tinsels' offspring to the AP. Their lineages are so long, I can't trade 'em for anything.

Tinsels taking over the trading threads is an issue - it takes quite some effort and patience to find non-tinsel-trades.

I don't know whether this will sort itself out. If not, maybe it will be a good idea to make a completely separate tinsel-trading thread and at the same time exclude them from other trading threads...

Though if such a thing is made, I'd really apreciate if offers were always listed with CB common ancestor and lineage type. I have dragons or IOUs from most tinsel lines, only a few remain that I'm searching for - and I get tired of clicking through lineage-links to hundreds of messy tinsels and clear-lines that I already have. If the ancestor was always listed, I could use Ctrl+F to see whether something I'm interested in is there... tongue.gif

But yes, I'm not breeding my tinsels and then offering for trade anymore. I love trading them, but being egg-locked with eggs that find no home is annoying. Which is why I love tinsel-IOU-trades - if I know who an egg is for when I breed it, I can get it off my scroll in a reasonable time. smile.gif

So maybe a Tinsel-breeding-offer thread would be nice, instead? Where everyone who breeds tinsels on request can list theirs (with ancestor, gen, and lineage characteristics), and possibly "egg price" and then be PMed by people who would like to trade for an egg? I certainly got most of my tinsels by actually browsing through scrolls and PMing people nicely, and usually I paid very decent prices (like a couple of caveblocker or BSA hatchies, or one of my own tinsel eggs).

Actually, I'm still paying off several of those, so I'm not really looking for more right now. tongue.gif But I will go looking for the rest when I've paid my debts. smile.gif

(I do not have time to mod any such thread, so will not create one. I've went in over my head once, creating a thread that I really thought was needed (the "Fansite Overview Project"), and it turned out I was right - but now I don't have the time to mod it (though I hope that will change next year) and the work keeps sitting on my co-mods' shoulders, which I feel very bad about. So I will not make such a thread. But if anyone who actually has time to spare likes the ideas, go ahead and make one! smile.gif )

o.o I wouldn't mind obtaining one of each tinsel. I don't really care about the lineage all that much (probably one of the few that doesn't care about all that period), however..yeah. I don't have anything anyone wants and, even if I do, nobody wants to trade it for a tinsel :/ So, I just give up.

You're very wrong. Look at my signature.wink.gif

I have never asked for anything ludicrous for my tinsels and, quiet frankly, 4 CB metals for a descendant from Anzu or Cielatal? I'd rather keep my metals. After all, the only difference between them and F-Bomb or Inextrica is the name and the code.

Edit; You know, Lastalda, that's actually a great idea. A sort of breeder archive it would be great.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

As a newer person around these parts I enjoy collecting the tinsels. I enjoy even gen dragons, yes they're a hodge-podge but to reach 10th gen and not be inbred is an achievement in itself. I also enjoy stairsteps and spirals.

But while many of you are talking about how you can't even get a group of CBs for your dragons...I can't find a reasonable tinsel trade half the time. I usually can't even swap for a tinsel and all I'm looking for are other common lines I don't have.

All I see are offers for CB blacks, stripes or metallics. Or multiple BSA's and those I won't trade in bulk because they're more useful than a new tinsel. So when I do see the occasional trade for a tin that I don't have that I can afford, I'm usually amazed.

I just want one neat, clean tinsel from each of the 15. And aside from booo, I don't feel the need to pay an arm and a leg for them because I'm not after super low gen. Those are nice but not needed. 10th gen can be just as pretty.

I just PMed sockpuppet strangler (not sure if that's the right person, but if it's not, hopefully they can direct me to the right person) about starting a Tinsel Trading thread. Hopefully it can happen because I absolutely LOVE lastalda's idea!!

I like collecting tinsels and breeding for those who have none. I don't have any super "valuable" lineages but I have a few pretty stairsteps under 10 gen.

I do think they are losing their value because they breed like crazy and are being spread around. Its nice that a lot of people have them, but they are becoming cheap and messy-lineaged. I hope the ratios balance out soon.

I like collecting tinsels and breeding for those who have none. I don't have any super "valuable" lineages but I have a few pretty stairsteps under 10 gen.

I do think they are losing their value because they breed like crazy and are being spread around. Its nice that a lot of people have them, but they are becoming cheap and messy-lineaged. I hope the ratios balance out soon.

I think the messy lineaged happened more before, when they were so scarce and being sought after that people would offer the souls of their next 10 generations of firstborns to aquire one, independently of the lineage.

That's when most of those messy ones happened to be, being bred like crazy and being incredibly valuable.

I rarely see them in trade threads. Actually, most of the times I see nicely lineaged ones.

Imo,

4th gen would barely-ish scrape a CB stripe/CB black

5th gen+: It would be difficult to get a CB hatchling (COMMON) for the tinsel.

Lastada, that's a great idea. A tinsel trading/breeding thread would be great. People would know just where to go to look specifically for Tinsels, who the breeders are and the "price" they charge. I don't know if the mods would ban the tinsels from the other threads or not though, highly unlikely.

If anyone wants to put this together, I'm online all day (student) and will help out modding the thread.

I think tinsels should be banned from some of the other threads. They are being traded like rares and it is questionable whether they are still rare, aren't they? Therefore, why should they be in the rare trading center?

With the exception of 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens (imo, 6th gen tinsels are NOT rare), they should be banned.

(except for the extinct booo tinsels @.@)

With the exception of 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens (imo, 6th gen tinsels are NOT rare), they should be banned.

(except for the extinct booo tinsels @.@)

Extinct Booo tinsels? I've seen them around. Not much, but I'm sure I've seen a descendant in someone's scroll.

It counts as extinct if it's on about five scrolls in total. xd.png

EDIT: I estimate that after a little over two months, the novelty will soon wear off. After three months: widespread.

Edited by DarkEternity