Oddsoxdi

Are Tinsels Losing Their 'Market Value'?

I can never get anything good for my Tinsels. I only trade them when I am in desperate need of a common or uncommon.

I don't get anything good for tinsels anymore. They're pretty common these days.

The only tinsels that are still worth something are the really low gens, 5th and lower it looks like.

I can't get anything for them anymore *shrug*

Over the last couple of weeks, it was pretty easy to catch all three kinds of tinsels in the AP. Most of them with nice lineages. So I guess there is a loss of value.

I just recently got my first 2nd gen Tinsel from a rarer line. Patxaran(sp?) x Shadow Walker and got two trades one with a 2nd Gen Silver (Normal) Metallic and one with a 2nd Gen Gold (Normal) Metallic for my 3rd Gen Offspring.

I honestly think that only the common lines are harder to trade. Epica x Vines, Erno x pinks.

Its all about rarity.

Tinsels have been bred to death. Honestly, only 2-4 gens have any real value nowadays :/ Anything higher than that is easy to find. They are becoming more common on the AP, too. If this continues, Tinsels are going to be one of the most common breeds xd.png Many recent newbies have Tinsels among their first ten dragons, lol. rolleyes.gif Unless you have one of the original Tinsels or a 2nd gen that is a cooperative breeder, you won't be getting much for your Tinsels. I just use Tinsels as trade fodder for commons that I like, such as Pillows, lol.

Hm, every one of my tinsels came from the AP, the announcement board, or from someone offering me one on a random not-very-high-value trade, so they've been basically free for me. For a long time I didn't even try to get any because their value was so overestimated. If you already had some tinsels, you could swap them for others cheaply, but I just plain didn't like them enough to pay cb neglecteds and cb real metals for them. There was a point where, in like one week, tinsels went from not being worth the price for me to being common enough that I could snag as many as I wanted for free.

Yes, they are loosing value.

I never ask for ludicrous things. I've even offere a batch of 5, nicely lineaged tinsels in exchange for something a bit better, and didn't get a single offer.

I've stopped breeding them completely. I have some nice lines, short lines, and yet I'm having trouble trading them for whites!

Now I only breed for gifting when I see someone desperate to have a tinsel.

I am glad they are not that hard to come by. However, nice, short lines are incredibly expensive, and other lines are common like pest. Funny enough, I'm seeing less and less F-Bomb tinsels, since people have stopped breeding them altogether.

I guess they'll fluctuate in value.

I have no higher-than-average value for a tinsel. It's a nice lineage and people have been working hard to groom them into something pretty. But to me they're a 1:1 trade. It's no different than any other hatchling/egg now since they're common, I refuse to pay an absurd price for them. My BSA red hatchy is worth more than an 8th gen step tinsel and I know it. Your tinsel is pretty, nothing more.

The other evening I was trading with someone who wanted my two BSA hatchys for 1 tinsel egg. There was no way I was going for that. I wouldn't have even traded two non-bsa hatchlings for it. straight across trade of 1:1 was my deal and they weren't going for it. (we ended up working out a much better trade in the end, BSA for BSA, win win).

Tinsels have been holding out on their market value for an extraordinary amount of time. Now it's time for a reality check. Unless tinsels can do something beyond steps, spirals and the occassional ultra colorful even-gen (how many different dragons can we breed together to get to generation 10? 8D nevermind it looks like a mess), they're done.

The only thing I would really consider trading high for is low gen. 2-4th gen tinsels (which I cannot probably ever afford). That is because they're harder to get. Not just anyone is willing to breed a 2nd gen. And not everyone has a 3rd to breed a 4th.

Not just anyone is willing to breed a 2nd gen. And not everyone has a 3rd to breed a 4th.

Not true. For my 2nd Gen Tinsel I have decided to share the love and most of my already 8 people long list have been offered as gifts.

Uhm, they're losing, but already lost much of their value, except 2nd gens, a few 3rd gens and some rare 4th gens maybe. Everything else has become... well, pretty worthless. I'm glad when I get 2-3 CB hatchis for a neat stair 6th gen, don't even bother breeding most of my tinsels anymore. It's okay for me though, that way I can focus more on my (common) lineage projects without having to bother about getting my hands on more tinsels because they might have some value.

Only looking for certain low gen rarer lineages now and I guess that's what most people do (except newbies maybe who have a tinsel and don't care about lineages at all and still may easily be happy with any tinsel at all) smile.gif

Not true. For my 2nd Gen Tinsel I have decided to share the love and most of my already 8 people long list have been offered as gifts.

Then you are not just anyone wink.gif You understand what kinds of gifts will brighten the day of the friend who receives a surprise PM from your scroll.

That's why I love holidays, especially christmas. It's the one time of year when I actually have a dragon of unparalleled value. Knowing someone got something so valuable from my scroll gives me the warm fuzzies.

The rest of the year . . . well, back to AP hunting.

Well, like others have said, only the longer gen's and more commonly seen pairing's are.

I've been on a hunting frenzy these few weeks so I've been trading for a couple of 4th gen tinsels+iou. They have beautiful lineages so I'm willing to trade an arm for them. xd.png

Every user has a different trade ratio so I've trade a CB stripe for a 4th gen while another was.....an arm, leg, and possibly even an eye for another 4th gen. lol

"I" think it was worth it...so in the end, it just depends on everyone's perspective.

I stopped breeding some of my tinsel's weekly. If I did, the eggs will probably be for trading for hatchies, dropping in the AP, or gifting.

Some will be kept as a memento of sorts. I still love the lineage but someone else might think differently so I'm not willing to sell off a offspring that I like for something random that I don't need.

I also think that their breeding ratio have decreased slightly but they still breed pretty well. wink.gif

I have to wonder if they will become like blacks. They bred well for a while and then just stopped.

But back to the question at hand, they have lost value. Anything (even lower-gens) from the common lineages are not worth squat. Let's put it this way, they are breeding better than my trios and my regular metallics. I don't even bother trading all but one of my tinsels, but since I like breeding I do gift them.

'Starting to slide' isn't the word for it, the trade value of tinsels, just any tinsel, has plummeted for weeks. tongue.gif There's still a market for rare and short lineages though.

I don't see it as a problem, and I hope they won't start breeding as rares, let alone as holidays (on XMas or in Dec only). They're pretty, go well with many different breeds, and I believe that is what a collecting-game is really about, not about getting the highest 'value'. If there are some things you can't find yourself, for example because you don't have a fast link and can't click the CB rares fast enough, then it's nice to have a 'valuable' dragon to trade, but as with any consumer's market, you may have to keep up and switch to something else to trade sometimes.

Honestly, I don't mind looking at tinsels of rarer value because, in the end, they /are/ pixels. I would love to be gifted one, sure, but I know that'll never happen. I never got a gift last Christmas from DC and won't expect one this Christmas, either. I may have been here for over a year, but that doesn't mean it matters. =P

Something, that is really disappointing me, that noone wants to exchange 6-9th gen on the same gen. But losing "market value" isn't connected only with tinsels, it's showed in rare, and common trading too %) It's impossible, but I still don't have any gold or silver dragon. And now it's getting harder and harder to get them. laugh.gif

I have stopped breeding my tinsels which are higher than 3rd gen unless there is a specific offer in trades which I want to meet.

I'm thinking of adding a line in my signature that I'll breed higher gens on request (for some reasonable compensation, like a couple of hatchies or an appropriate tinsel swap), so people who want them can still get them. But I'm tired of eggs I can't trade clogging my scroll.

ETA: Telvani: the weird thing about golds and silvers is that most established players have them, but they're incredibly rare to breed these days. I think there's this value tension between "worth very little" and "worth a lot".

Edited by siliconrose

I think it's more a matter of lineage over breed when it comes to 'losing value'. People invest more value in tinsels with short lineages and/or specific pairings. 2G-4G tinsels don't seem to lose much value, as do those coming from unique pairings. And it's understandable. Most people pretty much only have a shot at getting tinsels 3G or higher. Scarcity makes them more desirable.

The pro of tinsels, being that they can be shared amongst everyone (who aren't picky), is also a negative - by the time the tinsels filter out through the community, they hit the higher generations which are less favorable. I agree, some of the things people ask for in return for them is ridiculous, but hey, it's not like it's an issue isolated to just tinsels.

Now, if tinsels are affected by ratios as other dragons are, wouldn't they slow down production some time in the future?

Edited by Varekis

Then you are not just anyone wink.gif You understand what kinds of gifts will brighten the day of the friend who receives a surprise PM from your scroll.

That's why I love holidays, especially christmas. It's the one time of year when I actually have a dragon of unparalleled value. Knowing someone got something so valuable from my scroll gives me the warm fuzzies.

The rest of the year . . . well, back to AP hunting.

This.

I got two PM`s today, both were gold tinsel gifts for free. I honestly DON'T want them to end up like Frills. They are such a lovley breed. Making them breedable during christmas should be put into effect, otherwise they may end up like Frills.

This.

I got two PM`s today, both were gold tinsel gifts for free. I honestly DON'T want them to end up like Frills. They are such a lovley breed. Making them breedable during christmas should be put into effect, otherwise they may end up like Frills.

They won't end up like Frills- Frills were cave-blockers, and ones that shared a description with three other eggs. The worst that will happen with Tinsels is that they'll end up being bred less often.

The rarity will even out eventually, and in the meantime, people like me will actually be able to get them without offering the souls of our firstborn. I'm really not in favor of putting artificial limits on them.

I like not having to sell my soul for one, but I'd like them to be a tad bit more desirable, not to get rares, but to get a friggin common that's not a cave blocker.

A couple of days ago I traded away a second gen PB harvest and a second gen PB daydream with old pink mother. It was traded in a matter of minutes, and I got exactly what I was asking for.

Right now I've got a 6th gen, staircase tinsel up for trade. Lets see how long it takes for it to be traded away.

I think I'm going to start breeding my pillows. They seem to make for better trades than tinsels right now.

The good thing about this is, while I'm on several waiting lists for some tinsels, I don't have to mortage myself for weeks to get a single egg.

I have a feeling their value is just going to fluctuate. Naturally, as more and more are bred, they become more common and so less valued in trades... but we never know when they'll stop breeding so reliably. For all we know, in two months, tinsels will be in HIGH demand again. Also, the lower gens are still quite valuable, judging by what I've seen on the trade threads (and the impossibility of trading for them if I can't catch a CB Black, Stripe, or have a bred Gold or Silver of my own to breed).

Personally, I love the longer perfect lineages. I think it's way more impressive to see a 9th-gen stairstep than a 3rd-gen one, and much prettier, too. I'm also more than willing to trade for same- or higher-gen, if I like the look of the lineage. A lot depends on personal taste, for sure. But I'm happy that so many people get to have Tinsels, this way.

Long story short, I think they're doing just fine and no adjustments need to be made. Probably, in time, they will reproduce more sporadically. I'm not even hoping for that, just saying it's likely. In the meantime, I wouldn't advocate any change -- I'm just going to hoard the shiny. :-D

I don't think any adjustments should be done. If they be done in tinsels to make them more rare, they should be done equally in whites, vines, blacks and so to make them more common, since they ARE supposed to be common.

Yes -- I think one thing that's happening now is that a lot of the newer members don't want to trade for even a long-lineaged Tinsel, not because it costs too much, but because they want to be able to continue the line, and if it's based on Blacks, Vines, or Stripes, they feel that continuation is impossible. I've seen CB Blacks only *marginally* more than I've seen CB Silvers -- they're awfully rare right now, it seems!