rogue-fox

EggNog

What's your opinion on it?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before, it looked disgusting, and my dad was always saying it tasted like a milkshake. Then I actually tried it, many years later. I hated it.

I've only had eggnog once, and it was one of the shakes from McDonald's (a friend of mine would get one all the time, so I had to try).

It was nasty. tongue.gif I don't even like eggs, but I didn't know it actually tasted so much like them. I don't think I'm ever touching one of those again.

Good eggnog is scrumptious. If it is homemade I like it best with a blend of good alcohol mixed into the beaten egg yolks, sugar, cream, nutmeg, cinnamon and egg whites stiffly beaten folded into the rich mixture and aged in the fridge before serving. Otherwise I prefer the non alcoholic store variety.

Bad egg nog is awful and haunts you. cool.gif

My mom use to make it when I was a kid - I haven't had any in years. Loved it then. It's pretty simple, milk, egg, sugar to taste, nutmeg and cinnamon with a tiny sprinkle of salt, toss it in the blender til it's frothy. With organic ingredients, it's actually pretty healthy, and homemade is always better than anything you'll find pre-made. The carton stuff never tasted right. They do use way too much sugar. And McDonald's anything would make me gag.

Funny, though, looking at the comments here. I always thought it was traditionally English.

I've never had it, but I'm getting mixed opinions from everyone. I'm hoping to try it so I can form my own opinion.

It's so good.... yet so fattening.. @_@ I usually have it only around the holidays for a Christmas treat, I love the spices they put in it... wink.gif

I like it - we always have it around the holidays. it'a especially good with a sprinkle of nutmeg happy.gif

I'm pretty sure that I've never had it, but for some reason I'm feeling a craving for it. Weird.

I've tasted Eggnog before, not something I'd like to experience for a second time. I like my eggs cooked and my milk strawberry, custard on the other hand, I love.

Love it! I prefer non-alcoholic, and not this one brand I can never remember the name of that tastes pretty foul.

And for those worried, you CAN use pasteurized eggs you know.

Tried it for the first time last holiday season and spent most of this year wondering why I didn't try it sooner. The other portion was spent wishing for it to come around again. I love that stuff!

However I won't drink it with alcohol. Wouldn't want to get run over by a reindeer. laugh.gif

I've never had it, but from what it's made of... Well...

Milk=Blegh

Egg=Blargh

Never tried it, not the right part of the world, though I do like egg nog-flavoured ice cream and (alcoholic) chocolates.

I've actually never tried it, because the smell makes me ill. I'm lactose intolerant, so it's probably best to avoid it anyway tongue.gif

I love eggnog, especially at Christmas. I add nutmeg, and sometimes wine or rum. Delicious. But I don't want it all the time, all year long. It's a special treat.

ETA: For the people here who have never tried it but want to experiment: Don't try it from MacDonald's for heaven's sake!

Try homemade eggnog made by someone who knows what they're doing. Otherwise, try the best eggnog from a carton that you can find. Ask a friend who knows their eggnog what to recommend.

Edited by Jennie