The Evil Doer

IQ world map....

And I really doubt all the people in this thread are gifted or geniuses, sorry.

Agreed.

Statistically 98% of the population has an IQ lower than 131, and two-thirds of the population will fall into the 85 - 115 bracket.

In other words - unless you are the kind of person getting A's in every test you take you are extremely unlikely to have an IQ higher than 120.

In my own case I was tested when they discovered that my test results at school were in the top 5% of the country (my Mum actually still has the nice little certificate they sent for that). And I was tested at 136. With the greatest respect to the people posting here I find it very unlikely that the majority of people have higher scores than I do.

Incidently professional IQ testing is not something you'll have taken on the internet. For various reasons, you can't. It would be like sitting an exam on the internet, unsupervised. If you've actually been professionally tested you'll know it's administered in a formal environment (or, I should say, certainly was last time I was tested in the mid-90's. I know Mensa won't accept online scores though, and requires a certificate of testing).

And I really doubt all the people in this thread are gifted or geniuses, sorry.

This.

I don't know about the others but I'm telling the truth here. I got straight A's without even studying and I was in the Pre-AP classes in middle school and AP classes in high school, honor roll and everything. I don't find it too absurd that most people are posting higher scores because... well I explained that all before.

I don't know about the others but I'm telling the truth here. I got straight A's without even studying and I was in the Pre-AP classes in middle school and AP classes in high school, honor roll and everything. I don't find it too absurd that most people are posting higher scores because... well I explained that all before.

It's not really that I think people are lying, but I think most people are using online IQ tests that really inflate their scores and aren't accurate at all. I've done those ones and I too have received scores that are in the gifted/genius range which don't reflect my intelligence at all because I'm dumb as crap. laugh.gif

I got straight A's all the way through HS with little work. With advanced classes, I ended up with a GPA higher than 4.0 by quite a bit. Even though I do fairly well in college, after being actually challenged, I understand my own intelligence much better. Last time I took an online test was mid-HS, about six years ago. I usually placed around 124 - 126 even up to 136 on one test, IIRC. I'm sure my own IQ is closer to 90 - 110 or something.

It's just human nature to brag and get good attention, and online, it's easy to boost accomplishments. It's easy for a whole forum load of people to have heterochromia and be at what is considered genius-level IQ.

And no one should take that as an insult! We all have different strengths. I like algebra, but I struggle with the more conceptual geometry-based maths. I've worked hard and am fairly good at writing, though. Got a 5.5/6 on the writing portion of the GRE, although a little below average for quantitative and some above average for verbal. I like athletics (debated about seeing if I could get some qualifications and teach some kind of strength-building class), but that's not tested on the GRE or in IQ tests or anything. I'm horrible in social situations, but that's not tested either. My point is people are diverse. An IQ test isn't the end all be all. Some people just may not test well. Some have other strong suits. Etc.

I know forums and lots of other internet things tend to attract certain groups of people (it appeals to introverts and people with social anxiety, for etc. because people can get human interaction without having to physically sit next to humans), but I'm not sure if IQ, at the genius end anyway, is one of those things. Might be interesting to look at, but I think so much is left out when we focus on one version of education or intelligence, anyway. ^^

It's not really that I think people are lying, but I think most people are using online IQ tests that really inflate their scores and aren't accurate at all. I've done those ones and I too have received scores that are in the gifted/genius range which don't reflect my intelligence at all because I'm dumb as crap. laugh.gif

Aaah I see, well I know the test I took was official, and I was still in elementary school.

@Sock, I don't think IQ has a direct connection to people that prefer to socialize online, but I do think that it can correlate with certain things that would cause them to be that way.

Agreed.

Statistically 98% of the population has an IQ lower than 131, and two-thirds of the population will fall into the 85 - 115 bracket.

In other words - unless you are the kind of person getting A's in every test you take you are extremely unlikely to have an IQ higher than 120.

In my own case I was tested when they discovered that my test results at school were in the top 5% of the country (my Mum actually still has the nice little certificate they sent for that). And I was tested at 136. With the greatest respect to the people posting here I find it very unlikely that the majority of people have higher scores than I do.

Incidently professional IQ testing is not something you'll have taken on the internet. For various reasons, you can't. It would be like sitting an exam on the internet, unsupervised. If you've actually been professionally tested you'll know it's administered in a formal environment (or, I should say, certainly was last time I was tested in the mid-90's. I know Mensa won't accept online scores though, and requires a certificate of testing).

Well, I didn't take this test, but in my school IQ test I scored in the 98th percentile of the country, so I'm pretty sure if I took this test, I would be getting a pretty high level. Not saying that everyone else will, that's just my justification.

Agreed.

I landed 115 on this IQ test but I've generally always been a rather slow reader. Additionally, while I've not gotten A's on every single test I've taken, A's have been about 8 or 9 out of 10 times what I've received as a grade, including as a class grade.

This test gave me a score of 120. I am sure it's actually much less, though I don't have a real IQ test to compare. I have never been good at looking for patterns in things or being patient enough to take a test like this seriously.

Pffft, it said mine is 123. I'm in a program at school where your IQ has to be over 130 to get in, so obviously it's innacurate rolleyes.gif

Instead of racism the discussion should be the reasoning behind this table, why do you think it is that Australia and USA are so low ? Education ? Society ? After all those two are a part of the western world rolleyes.gif

I think it's because education in the US sucks so much. xd.png Compare American schools to Nordic ones - it's rather widely known that the Nordic education system is highly advanced and produces smart students. Not to mention we don't require fees from anyone, even in university or polytechnics (same as American and English universities and colleges) - this way even poor families can have their kids educated (unlike in the US where college fees are so large that poor students can't even hope to pay them).

Anyway, I got 132 on the test. ...All other IQ tests online give me 135 so I guess this is quite close to my real IQ, then.

I took a couple of online tests and they averaged my IQ to be around 120-125. I really believe that's overestimating me though, by a long shot. But I don't hold much faith in the online tests, since there's no way they can be totally accurate and I have considerable doubt regarding how much a test can measure people's different types of intelligence or whatever, anyway. smile.gif

Got 144 for my score. As many have said before me, though, it's a joke test.

(I would argue, though, that *no* IQ test in existence is completely unbiased.)

Edited by Shienvien

The test scored me as 132. I've taken an IQ test before and I think I got somewhere closer to 150, so I dunno.

laughs

I'm a bit late noticing this typo, but I meant 140. An IQ test I have taken before this one scored me somewhere near 140.

I think 132 is a bit low for me and closer to 140 sounds more accurate. Both of my parents have IQ's of 160 and my siblings both have below 130, I believe, so it really shows how they can vary within the same gene pool.

But I don't really care how my IQ represents my intelligence. I take AP and honors classes and I am two grades advanced in math, so I'm basically in the most advanced classes my school offers at my grade level. I'll let my straight-A's represent me instead of my IQ =P

Dear Xeyla,

Thank you for your interest in the test at IQTest.com.

Your general IQ score is: 117

I've never taken a real IQ test, which I feel I would score horribly on (you are your own worst critic syndrome), so I cannot say if this result is inaccurate.

I've never taken a real IQ test, which I feel I would score horribly on (you are your own worst critic syndrome), so I cannot say if this result is inaccurate.

Well, you aren't judging your own IQ test...

Never mind, I got the score from my email. I got 158. I guess that's good.

IQ tests are increasingly inaccurate, as they should be normalized to the average "intelligence" of your country, education, as well as your age. A 2 - year old doing basic maths would test out a lot higher than a 14 year old doing the same. Internet Tests usually do not account for your age. Often they only test one aspect of your brain, like maths, or language. If they test out mostly maths, I can get their highest values in every test (which is sometimes only 150, sometimes 240, depending on the tests biggrin.gif). Language is somewhere middle ground in german, bad in english. I suck at some symbol tests.

So: don't trust IQ-tests like that, they only test one of your many spectrums of intelligence.

The map is a lie, it says Africans are dumber than everyone else.

I think it has more to do with the fact that most of Africa is war and starvation stricken than with real intelligence potential. If you're spending all your time worrying about getting killed or not finding enough food, of course you're not going to have as much time to focus on education or learning as the more developed countries... so it's not necessarily that people are really dumber so much as they don't have the luxury of learning as much. I imagine you wouldn't do too well on an IQ test if you've never been taught to read.

(And technically, it says Australians are dumber than everyone else, and that oppression-ruled China is the smartest place in the world, both things which I find doubtful xd.png)

That being said, I have my doubts about the accuracy of the map listed.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Iq tests should be normalized to give 100 to the average intelligent person of a country. They usually are not. Also, tests should be customized to the culture you live in.

thirdly, they should cover various aspects independently (logic, math, language etc) according to your age!

Only if all of those are accounted for, you could take the value for any comparison.